• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimbusD

I imagine that The 100 was pitched like this:

"Imagine a group of very, very attractive teenagers that have been horribly repressed and are now set free. They're sexy, horny, and violent. Also, they're trying to survive, so there's plenty of opportunity to lose clothing, and many scenes where they jump off waterfalls and go skinny dipping. Imagine Gossip Girl set on the LOST island! Oh and its the future so we can have vampires if needed"

CW exec: SOLD!

The writers then created the pilot, got a season commitment, and then moved on to give us the best TV show of the last decade.

Because theres no way in hell the CW bought what we ended up getting.

Agree with this (minus the finale but whatever, there's much more that's great about it). Just wish that they didn't get stuck with some horribly mediocre actors (for the record, main girl is surprisingly good, everyone else is the opposite).

As for CW trailers, they all look great?

Containment - Very interesting premise. Potentially like the early parts of the Stand but played over multiple seasons? Im in.

Legends of tomorrow: Uh, in. I watch Arrow and Flash and am lukewarm to both mostly, but this tips the scale because it seems like they probably won't have room for CW love story crap.

Crazy ex - On premise? Nah. On execution and acting? Woah this looks pretty original and well made? I'll give it a shot.

And CBS trailers also looked good too. Phew, was mostly dissaspointed a the new offerings until I saw all these though.

beat

This is super nitpicky, but right as she bursts into song for the first time, about how she's going to leave New York -- there's even a sidewalk sign saying "<-- NY Souvenirs" -- an LA bus goes by right behind her. Very few cities paint their city buses bright orange.

Anyways, that aside, it looks like a lot of fun.

Crazy ex - On premise? Nah. On execution and acting? Woah this looks pretty original and well made? I'll give it a shot.
I wouldn't watch it for the premise, but since I think Bloom's Youtube sketches are very funny, I'm mostly going off of that plus the trailer.

This is super nitpicky, but right as she bursts into song for the first time, about how she's going to leave New York -- there's even a sidewalk sign saying "<-- NY Souvenirs" -- an LA bus goes by right behind her. Very few cities paint their city buses bright orange.

Anyways, that aside, it looks like a lot of fun.

Those fucking LA buses show up in so many shows and it pulls you right out.

Theyre iconic buses.

Looks good. Will check out first few episodes for sure. I'm hoping it will have hard hitting pace and characters like The 100. I know the chances are low, but CW is making good shows these days.

I'm waiting for the reviews on that one. The trailer didn't really sell me on it at all.

Pluto

New shows I'm going to watch:

Legends of Tomorrow
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Supergirl
Life in Pieces
The Muppets
Scream Queens
People are Talking

Returning shows:

Arrow
Flash
Jane The Virgin
The 100
iZombie
Supernatural
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter
The Goldbergs
The Good Wife

I guess I'm the CW's bitch, 8 of their shows and that's after I gave up on Vampire Diaries and The Originals.

List time?

Here's everything broadcast I'll be watching in the fall: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Last Man on Earth, Gotham, Supergirl, Flash, iZombie, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Scream Queens, Arrow, Supernatural, Bones, Vampire Diaries, The Originals and Heroes Reborn.

Throw in all the cable stuff I watch and that should keep me more than busy.

Wiktor

For me the new shows I will definitely check out for at least half a season

Quarry
Lucifer
Supergirl
Legends of Tomorrow
Dark Matter
Expanse

Will sample a LOT more, but those are sows that I have a very good feeling about

From returning..to many to name..but those I will be watching week by week are:

Banshee
Hannibal
Person of Interest
Arrow
Flash
Strike Back
Agent Carter
Penny Dreadful
Gotham
Bosch (well..this will be released all at once, but I will marathon it in few days)

I will probably watch 3x time shows, but those I will be watching in marathon sessions with large batches of episodes

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting an iZombie vibe from Supergirl, I didn't know they were going that route.

Her first costume just needed an S and it would have been perfect! :)

X7mdhvB.jpg

mid83

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of new shows/seasons that air on broadcast/cable/premium/online streaming every year now. There is something for everybody. So why again are people sitting around complaining about the handful of comic book shows that make up a small percentage of those shows?

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of new shows/seasons that air on broadcast/cable/premium/online streaming every year now. There is something for everybody. So why again are people sitting around complaining about the handful of comic book shows that make up a small percentage of those shows?

Eh, I love genre stuff but it feels like we're about reaching the peak of it, so I can understand why people who don't like it are starting to get annoyed by it.

Joni

Why do people like stuff I don't like?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I watch virtually nothing* on the broadcast channels, and I'm overflowing with good TV. Who cares?

*Hannibal, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Black-ish... uhh.... I might catch up/add Fresh Off the Boat.

maxcriden

Superhero shows are the new procedural profession show along with doctors, lawyers, and law enforcement. It's just that with superhero shows you can get away with vomiting lore on people for longer.

If vomiting lore means more serialization and less procedural storytelling, hand me a bucket.

That peak still is minority though. So those people are just incredibly selfish.

I mean, we're talking about broadcast shows in a thread that is primarily about broadcast television during upfronts week, so why get bent out of shape about it?

Calling them incredibly selfish seems wildly hyperbolic.

maxcriden

I like them both. They played brothers on Prison Break. Which was a great show for about a season...

Always liked the premise of that show but never made it past the first fifteen mins of the pilot. I'm admit I'm a bit quick to judge shows sometimes though!

I mean, we're talking about broadcast shows in a thread that is primarily about broadcast television during upfronts week, so why get bent out of shape about it?

Looking at his post history...

DC's Legends of Tomorrow First Look and Featurette
2014-15 TV Cancellations: FOX cancels longest-running show on TV Weird Loners
Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c
Arrow/Flash spin-off titled 'Legends of Tomorrow', 13 Episode Season to air midseason
Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)
ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age
Will* there ever be a better comic book movie than The Dark Knight?
The Flash |OT| Gotta Go Fast - Tuesdays 8/7c
Holding your SO's purse
Marvel replaces FF & X-Men on Secret Wars t-shirt with MCU characters
Supergirl Costume Revealed

I see a pattern....and thats just today!

ivysaur12

Banned
Looking at his post history...

DC's Legends of Tomorrow First Look and Featurette
2014-15 TV Cancellations: FOX cancels longest-running show on TV Weird Loners
Constantine |OT| Exorcist, Demonologist, Petty Dabbler in the Dark Arts-Fridays 10/9c
Arrow/Flash spin-off titled 'Legends of Tomorrow', 13 Episode Season to air midseason
Supergirl: First Look (~6 minutes of clips from the upcoming Fall CBS show)
ARROW Season 3 |OT| Welcome to the New Age
Will* there ever be a better comic book movie than The Dark Knight?
The Flash |OT| Gotta Go Fast - Tuesdays 8/7c
Holding your SO's purse
Marvel replaces FF & X-Men on Secret Wars t-shirt with MCU characters
Supergirl Costume Revealed

I see a pattern....and thats just today!

Please don't.

I will at least check out:

Supergirl
Code Black
Life in Pieces
Angel From Hell
Grandfathered
Scream Queens
Blindspot
Game of Silence
Superstore
Hot & Bothered
The Family
Wicked City
The Muppets
The Real O'Neals
Containment
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

I'm sure I'll end up actually staying with 2 of these. And there could be a surprise somewhere else, too.

maxcriden

Well if Im being called incredibly selfish for wanting quality television, I want to see where it's coming from.

I agree that "incredibly selfish" is hyperbolic, but no need to dig through his posts (which are only going to go so far to tell you about any person to begin with, esp. when English isn't their first language, which I'm pretty sure is the case with Adrian).

Wiktor

No. it's not. Those are people who suffer because other people watch shows they don't like and would like to take those shows away. All this despite the fact they they're drowining in non-superhero shows. But they won't be happy untill there's zero superhero shows, because nobody should enjoy things they hate.

Korigama

That AoU article really only continues to make me question just how much attention the author paid to the film.
In Age of Ultron, we lose several minutes of valuable time that could be spent developing our characters to visit Wakanda and establish Andy Serkis as a villain, not because he&#8217;s important to the plot&#8212;he&#8217;ll totally disappear after this one scene&#8212;but because there&#8217;s going to be a Black Panther movie.
For one thing, they never went to Wakanda. The existence of the nation and branding of Klaue as a thief who barely escaped from there were discussed, but the part of Africa that the Avengers went to was not Wakanda (we never even see it). Furthermore, as the guy who sells Ultron the Vibranium needed for his schemes for the rest of the film, he most certainly was important to the plot when it had also been established just how difficult that metal was to come by outside of Wakanda. His screentime was limited, yet he served his purpose in plausibly establishing how the movie's killer robot managed to get such vast quantities of ultra rare Marvel miracle metal.

Though not something one can gather from watching the film, Whedon didn't add Klaue to AoU because Marvel wanted to make a Black Panther movie either (he didn't even know about that or the other accompanying future films Marvel had planned for the MCU by the time he cast Serkis for the part).

Back on topic, though I thought that the Supergirl trailer was better than I expected, I might have trouble taking it as seriously now after looking up that SNL Black Widow segment.

Pachimari

I have no idea when these shows are premiering but I'm definitely gonna give these a chance:

Wayward Pines
Sense8
Scream
Scream Queens
Humans
Aquarius
Supergirl
Legends of Tomorrow
Minority Report
Lucifer
Containment

Maybe Blindspot, Wicked City and One of Us.

Are all of these shows airing in the same season?

I have no idea when these shows are premiering but I'm definitely gonna give these a chance:

Wayward Pines

I believe it premieres tonight.

No. it's not. Those are people who suffer because other people watch shows they don't like and would like to take those shows away. All this despite the fact they they're drowining in non-superhero shows. But they won't be happy untill there's zero superhero shows, because nobody should enjoy things they hate.

Prosecution complex? Youre blowing this out of proportion.

Wiktor

Prosecution complex? Youre blowing this out of proportion.

No.You're blowing out of proportions how many superhero shows there are. There's very little of them. Most broadcast networks either have zero superhero shows or they dedicate one hour a week for them. The sole exception is CW. The most superhero heavy network around and they use two hours per week for superhero shows.

The reality is that there's little superhero shows on air and yet for some reason even existence of that small ammount is a problem for you.

maxcriden

I'm not a mod, but can we just stop this right now? Thanks.

Seconded!

So, in a blatant attempt to get back to our regularly scheduled programming, what new show was the biggest pleasant surprise for y'all this year?

My pick, despite not having seen the latest ep, is iZombie. The show is much more VMars than I anticipated. It's essentially slightly older Veronica plus zombie hijinks. Dialogue crackles. Characters are growing on me more and more each week. I think the show needs to just go for more of those emotional gut punches VM was so good at. The end of last week's ep was a good start, and I'm appreciating the slowly increasing serialization. I will say the show us a bit gross for me at times, but that's more my own squeamishness and the show itself is remarkably restrained on the whole in terms of gore. Just great stuff so far.

So, how 'bout you all?

TripOpt55

Legends of Tomorrow looks better than I expected. Captain Cold is one of the best parts of the Arrowverse and I like the idea of Sara coming back as White Canary. Hopefully they will be enough to cancel out the overwhelming lameness of Ray Palmer. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend doesn't look like my thing. I might check out Containment if I hear it is good.

Still not really super excited for any of the shows, but I'm most intrigued by these:

Scream Queens
The Grinder
Minority Report
Blindspot
People are Talking
The Muppets
The Family
The Catch
Life in Pieces
Supergirl
Limitless
Legends of Tomorrow

Most excited for Scream Queens. I love the concept and the cast, but have only seen the first season of AHS of Murphy's work I think (which I thought was trash for the most part), so I'm not sure how it will turn out.

infi

Seconded!

So, in a blatant attempt to get back to our regularly scheduled programming, what new show was the biggest pleasant surprise for y'all this year?

My pick, despite not having seen the latest ep, is iZombie. The show is much more VMars than I anticipated. It's essentially slightly older Veronica plus zombie hijinks. Dialogue crackles. Characters are growing on me more and more each week. I think the show needs to just go for more of those emotional gut punches VM was so good at. The end of last week's ep was a good start, and I'm appreciating the slowly increasing serialization. I will say the show us a bit gross for me at times, but that's more my own squeamishness and the show itself is remarkably restrained on the whole in terms of gore. Just great stuff so far.

So, how 'bout you all?

I've heard a lot of good about iZombie but I'm wary of trying it because I tend not to like zombie stuff. Might have to just give it a try.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Seconded!

So, how 'bout you all?

iZombie is a good choice, I'd second it.

I'd also say that Younger was a pleasant surprise. I'm a few episodes behind but Sutton Foster is impeccable (I will always miss you, Bunheads).

maxcriden

I've heard a lot of good about iZombie but I'm wary of trying it because I tend not to like zombie stuff. Might have to just give it a try.

I couldn't watch more than a couple minutes of The Walking Dead and Shaun of the Dead is hilarious but made me pretty squeamish towards the end, if that gives you an idea of my personal squirm factor for zombie stuff. IIRC 28 Days/Weeks weren't as bad for me. I used to read TWD 5+ years ago or so and that was very gross to me at times. iZombie is not anywhere near *any* of those in terms of gore. The occasional grotesque corpse shot and my own over-imagination when seeing her eat bits of brain in bowl of spaghetti really are the grosser aspects for the most part. Show's awesome, though. Procedural with a good blend of increasing serialization. If you liked or loved VMars, you'd be doing yourself a favor in checking this show out.

iZombie is a good choice, I'd second it.

I'd also say that Younger was a pleasant surprise. I'm a few episodes behind but Sutton Foster is impeccable (I will always miss you, Bunheads).

Which is Younger? I want to say this is the first I'm hearing of it...I know my wife really liked Bunheads.

beat

Hannibal s3 in a few weeks, Married s2 in July, Rick and Morty s2 in July, You're The Worst in "late summer/early fall", Playing House in August -- I might be looking forwards to summer TV more than fall or winter.

Malvingt2

Question Ivy; Now that
THE FLASH is finishing the season as the most watched series ever on The CW (5.85 M viewers), and also the highest rated series among men 18-49 (2.8) and men 18+ ever on the network.

Do you see CW increasing the budget of the show? because a lot of people on GAF believe the budget is going to get cut for season 2. "CW" behavior.

infi

I couldn't watch more than a couple minutes of The Walking Dead and Shaun of the Dead is hilarious but made me pretty squeamish towards the end, if that gives you an idea of my personal squirm factor for zombie stuff. IIRC 28 Days/Weeks weren't as bad for me. I used to read TWD 5+ years ago or so and that was very gross to me at times. iZombie is not anywhere near *any* of those in terms of gore. The occasional grotesque corpse shot and my own over-imagination when seeing her eat bits of brain in bowl of spaghetti really are the grosser aspects for the most part. Show's awesome, though. Procedural with a good blend of increasing serialization. If you liked or loved VMars, you'd be doing yourself a favor in checking this show out.

Loved VMars so I'll definatly check it out.

As for new shows that impressed me I'd have to say The Flash but it feels like it was a weak year for me with new shows, especially comedies. I had high hopes for Marry Me but it was pretty disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom