• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

The CW is moving stuff around.

MONDAY
8 pm CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND
9 pm Jane the Virgin

TUESDAY
8 pm The Flash
9 pm iZombie

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Arrow
9 pm Supernatural

THURSDAY
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm The Originals

FRIDAY
8 pm Reign
9 pm America’s Next Top Model

On tap for midseason: Plec’s new drama Containment (FKA Cordon) and Legends of Tomorrow i, and returning series The 100, Beauty and the Beast and Whose Line Is It Anyway?
http://tvline.com/2015/05/14/the-cw-fall-tv-schedule-2015-vampire-diaries-originals-thursday/

styl3s

Actually, the scripts for Doubt, For Justice, and Sneaky Pete were really good, but I'd rather have Supergirl on the schedule and take one of those over Limitless or Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.
I can't tell if you are joking or if this is an actual real life show.

^ That article is hyperbolic dreck. Pop culture will always follow trends, that's precisely what pop culture is. If it's not superheroes, it'll be something else, and so on and so on. There is nothing that needs to be "protected".
Television has a tendency to get stuck in ruts- what's successful must be repeatable for every season until eternity- but I honestly don't find the recent explosion of these shows to necessarily be some sign that the medium is slowly dooming itself to a comic book hell. At least not yet, and not greater than any other trend that has dominated before. Like, I definitely don't feel like there are fewer great shows on television now than there were at any particular unspecified before-time.

The problem is that we are now in an environment with 4 corporations, and they want to promote their properties.

So that same article talks about the universe in this way:

So, once Marvel’s formula has deprived the movie of (a) time for the characters, (b) the potential for the story to unfold in a surprising way, and (c) meaningful consequences, we then get each character’s maximum 10 minutes of focus (which is now more like five or six) cut down even further, with ads for other Marvel products. In Age of Ultron, we lose several minutes of valuable time that could be spent developing our characters to visit Wakanda and establish Andy Serkis as a villain, not because he’s important to the plot—he’ll totally disappear after this one scene—but because there’s going to be a Black Panther movie. Thor has to be taken out of the action for a while so that his scientist friend can help him hallucinate the premise of Infinity War. Captain America gets a flashback that doesn’t relate to the plot, but does remind you that he used to date Peggy Carter, who you can catch every week on ABC’s own Agent Carter! Etcetera.

So one concern is that a show that would be canned normally gets extended over and over again because it serves as an ad for other properties.

Youre correct that there are always fads, be it westerns, space, reality shows, crime procedurals, whatever, but once theye overstayed their welcome, theyre all quickly eliminated for the next best thing.

But with this comic thing, you have ABC / Disney / Marvel thats all one company and REALLY wants to push their thing, and you have DC Comics / Warner Bros / CW who have the same incentive to push THEIR product.

Quality and ratings suddenly become secondary to the promotional potential, and even toys.

That's nonsense now. It might have been true ten years ago. But not today. There's no limited ammount of space for tv shows. Their numbers are growing and growing constantly. And this is CBS. You really think yet another CSI or NCSI procedural would be better use of their air time than Supergirl? At least it's somethin fresh and new compared to the rest of this network's shows.

Of course there are still limits.

Look at how the CW has morphed. They have ten hours available. Thats it. If 30% of that is taken up by comic book series, that leaves little room for other types of CW shows.

In fact, we're looking at a TV landscape with zero high school teen dramas. Imagine a world without The OC, Gossip Girl, 90210, etc. Thats the world we live in now! This has always been a popular genre, but it's been pushed aside to allow a universe to sell action figures.

Remember how UPN was essentially the black sitcom network for a bit? Moesha, The Game, etc etc? When they merged with WB, and they lost 10 hours of programming slots, guess which TV show genre got dumped?

It then took over a decade to get a new black family sitcom. And based off how successful blackish has been, the demand was obviously there.

"But we live in a Netflix world now"

Yeah but not even Netflix has an unlimited budget.

We live in a reality where we have limited budgets, a limited set of quality writers, and a limited set of people who are both good actors and attractive. If all your good writers are stuck pushing out superhero drivel, limited to a format where they can't actually write, then we all suffer.

Agree. I mean, take Supergirl for example. Let's say CBS decided to pass on it - what would be on their schedule instead this fall?

Red herring. CBS hasnt been a destination for quality in decades. They made Under the Dome a success for gods sake.

And the CW makes it 5 for 5 with boring schedules.

They still have the most shows I'll be watching, though. All six hours on Tues-Thurs.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The problem is that we are now in an environment with 4 corporations, and they want to promote their properties.

So that same article talks about the universe in this way:

So one concern is that a show that would be canned normally gets extended over and over again because it serves as an ad for other properties.

Youre correct that there are always fads, be it westerns, space, reality shows, crime procedurals, whatever, but once theye overstayed their welcome, theyre all quickly eliminated for the next best thing.

But with this comic thing, you have ABC / Disney / Marvel thats all one company and REALLY wants to push their thing, and you have DC Comics / Warner Bros / CW who have the same incentive to push THEIR product.

Quality and ratings suddenly become secondary to the promotional potential, and even toys.

Of course there are still limits.

Look at how the CW has morphed. They have ten hours available. Thats it. If 30% of that is taken up by comic book series, that leaves little room for other types of CW shows.

In fact, we're looking at a TV landscape with zero high school teen dramas. Imagine a world without The OC, Gossip Girl, 90210, etc. Thats the world we live in now! This has always been a popular genre, but it's been pushed aside to allow a universe to sell action figures.

Remember how UPN was essentially the black sitcom network for a bit? Moesha, The Game, etc etc? When they merged with WB, and they lost 10 hours of programming slots, guess which TV show genre got dumped?

It then took over a decade to get a new black family sitcom. And based off how successful blackish has been, the demand was obviously there.

"But we live in a Netflix world now"

Yeah but not even Netflix has an unlimited budget.

We live in a reality where we have limited budgets, a limited set of quality writers, and a limited set of people who are both good actors and attractive. If all your good writers are stuck pushing out superhero drivel, limited to a format where they can't actually write, then we all suffer.

Red herring. CBS hasnt been a destination for quality in decades. They made Under the Dome a success for gods sake.

I'm sorry, this all just amount to:

stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg

As someone who loved comics as a kid and as an adult I'm loving the current interest in the genre on TV and movies.

When I was a kid I grew up on shows like Wonder Woman and the Incredible Hulk with Lou Ferrigno, shows that could never possibly deliver what I was reading on the comic page but it was the best that they could do at the time. The fact that movies and TV and finally start to do justice to actual comics is fantastic and I look forward to more of it.

I'm really sorry for you that you've had to endure 3-4 years of comic book shows when we could have just continued the decades of cop/lawyer/doctor shows.

Wiktor

Excuse me..you say that's a bad thing? :)

Patryn

We're really not.

ABC Family is littered with those shows.

styl3s

I'm sorry, this all just amount to:

stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg

As someone who loved comics as a kid and as an adult I'm loving the current interest in the genre on TV and movies.

When I was a kid I grew up on shows like Wonder Woman and the Incredible Hulk with Lou Ferrigno, shows that could never possibly deliver what I was reading on the comic page but it was the best that they could do at the time. The fact that movies and TV and finally start to do justice to actual comics is fantastic and I look forward to more of it.

I'm really sorry for you that you've had to endure 3-4 years of comic book shows when we could have just continued the decades of cop/lawyer/doctor shows.
I'm not sorry. This hyperbole of everything is superheroes is bullshit.

We have what? 5 superhero shows that air live on tv? How many non superhero shows air live on TV week-week? ratio is like 1:15-1:20. All we get is SuperHero movies? On average we get what? 5-6 blockbuster super hero movies a year? How many big hollywood non super hero movies we get a year? like 1000? god forbid comic books fans get 1/100000th of this tv/movie pie.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I thought the Supergirl trailer looked really cheesy. Not too impressed. Also, too much of MY COUSIN MY COUSIN MY COUSIN because we all know who THAT is wink wink nudge nudge chortle

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm not sorry. This hyperbole of everything is superheroes is bullshit.

We have what? 5 superhero shows that air live on tv? How many non superhero shows air live on TV week-week? ratio is like 1:15-1:20. All we get is SuperHero movies? On average we get what? 5-6 blockbuster super hero movies a year? How many big hollywood non super hero movies we get a year? like 1000? god forbid comic books fans get 1/100000th of this tv/movie pie.

For 9 years there were 3 Law and Order shows on TV and there were 4 on 2 occasions.

For 7 of those years there were also 3 CSI shows on TV.

Karu

Superhero shows don't steal you your crime shows. They "might"steal your original genre shows. If that would be true, and i have no horse in this race, that could be seen as a problem.

Sober

Superhero shows are the new procedural profession show along with doctors, lawyers, and law enforcement. It's just that with superhero shows you can get away with vomiting lore on people for longer.

beat

99% of this thread is about broadcast networks. When was the last time you saw a discussion of the ABC Family schedule n this thread?
I feel like this thread goes for anything in GAF's general demographic. We talk about AMC and Netflix and HBO and Comedy Central a bunch. We don't talk about Disney Kids (… or whatever that channel is called) any more than ABC Family.

But yeah, teen HS dramas largely moved to cable. To me, that's different from not having racially diverse shows on broadcast.

DarkFlow

Banned
I feel like this thread goes for anything in GAF's general demographic. We talk about AMC and Netflix and HBO and Comedy Central a bunch. We don't talk about Disney Kids (… or whatever that channel is called) any more than ABC Family.

But yeah, teen HS dramas largely moved to cable. To me, that's different from not having racially diverse shows on broadcast.
That would be Disney Junior, I watch it daily with my 2 year old.

https://youtu.be/IcAnhnmWPOI

I'm actually watching this right now.

Patryn

99% of this thread is about broadcast networks. When was the last time you saw a discussion of the ABC Family schedule n this thread?

When Bunheads was cut down in its prime.

Still bitter about that.

However, we do often have discussions about cable. I think a few pages back we were talking about USA.

Sober

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend involves a white girl obsessing over an Asian dude so I doubt even a comic book teamup show can be as outrageous as that.

ivysaur12

Banned
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend involves a white girl obsessing over an Asian dude so I doubt even a comic book teamup show can be as outrageous as that.

I'm simultaneously into it and mortified by its awkwardness, but it's such a huge swing, I can't help but appreciate that.

Sober

I'm simultaneously into it and mortified by its awkwardness, but it's such a huge swing, I can't help but appreciate that.
Oh hey at least the internet at wide can promote Adelaide Kane out of "TV/CW ugly" now right? (For the record Rachael Bloom is not ugly).

I groan at the very thought.

Joni

Oh hey at least the internet at wide can promote Adelaide Kane out of "TV/CW ugly" now right? (For the record Rachael Bloom is not ugly).

I groan at the very thought.

She is considered TV ugly? She is beautiful even for CW standards.

Containment: Trailer is well cut to deliver the feels.. but I'm going to take a hard pass on that.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: I have no idea what to think. I like the musical angle but I'm kind of put off on the premise of the main character being "crazy for her whole life."

Superhero shows don't steal you your crime shows. They "might"steal your original genre shows. If that would be true, and i have no horse in this race, that could be seen as a problem.

Yes exactly.

Im worried about The 100s and Galavants of the world.

That's the thing though, broadcast TV doesn't exist in a vacuum anymore.

For me, personally, if it's not on Hulu, it doesnt exist. I know I'm not alone

#milleniallife

Joni

Yes exactly.

Im worried about The 100s and Galavants of the world.
Does The 100 exist in a world where The CW doesn't have success with their superhero and vampire shows? We're coming from a time where everyone was getting out of the 'genre' show genre, even the networks built on them like SyFy. There are now these really popular 'genre' shows which leads to experiments like The 100.

Does The 100 exist in a world where The CW doesn't have success with their superhero and vampire shows? We're coming from a time where everyone was getting out of the 'genre' show genre, even the networks built on them like SyFy. There are now these really popular 'genre' shows which leads to experiments like The 100.

I imagine that The 100 was pitched like this:

"Imagine a group of very, very attractive teenagers that have been horribly repressed and are now set free. They're sexy, horny, and violent. Also, they're trying to survive, so there's plenty of opportunity to lose clothing, and many scenes where they jump off waterfalls and go skinny dipping. Imagine Gossip Girl set on the LOST island! Oh and its the future so we can have vampires if needed"

CW exec: SOLD!

The writers then created the pilot, got a season commitment, and then moved on to give us the best TV show of the last decade.

Because theres no way in hell the CW bought what we ended up getting.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Don't watch Arrow or Flash aside from catching an episode or two, but The League of DC Gentlemen or whatever looks really cool. Containment looks like it belongs on a network that's not The CW, which is a compliment, I suppose. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is ... what in hell. I liked it but didn't want to like it.

I wondered where I knew the lead from, and thanks to the wonder of google I realised she did a youtube thingy five years ago.

The show itself is making me very conflicted though. It manages to put a smile on my face and a cringe in my spine, but at least it is interesting?

this is nearly my same reaction. dear God why do I like CW Mondays? what is wrong with me?

Joni

I imagine that The 100 was pitched like this:

"Imagine a group of very, very attractive teenagers that have been horribly repressed and are now set free. They're sexy, horny, and violent. Also, they're trying to survive, so there's plenty of opportunity to lose clothing, and many scenes where they jump off waterfalls and go skinny dipping. Imagine Gossip Girl set on the LOST island! Oh and its the future so we can have vampires if needed"

CW exec: SOLD!

The writers then created the pilot, got a season commitment, and then moved on to give us the best TV show of the last decade.

Because theres no way in hell the CW bought what we ended up getting.

Based on a Young Adult book. So imagine The Hunger Games, just like The Vampire Diaries was imagine Twilight for three episodes.

Toothless

Supergirl - as I said in the main thread for it, it looks fun and I'll watch it.

Angel From Hell - the title seems really unfitting, but it could be cute. I'll wait for reviews.

Code Black - boring and cliche, nope.

Life in Pieces - the first joke with the fiance turned me off entirely and there wasn't anything that made it better.

Limitless - looks like a generic procedural but the fact that they actually got Bradley Cooper as a recurring actor makes it worth a "wait for reviews" verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom