• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

(are we moving to a summer thread? Is Ratsky's "What Summer TV shows will you be watching" the default TV thread now?)

NYT on Comedy Central:

Alterman is 58, with close-cropped hair and a laid-back fashion sense that leans toward untucked button-downs and slip-on North Face loafers. He has a background in graphic design that’s evident in the half-frame eyeglasses he wears and in the sleek logo he insisted Comedy Central adopt upon his arrival, scrapping the retro one it had used for ages. Deborah Liebling, a prominent producer and former Comedy Central development executive who brought “South Park” to the network in 1997, says: “I think they’re at an apex, creatively, right now. There don’t seem to be any rules there besides ‘Is it smart?’ and ‘Is it funny?’ ”

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
True Detective s2 reviews have been comically bad so far

AVclub gives the first three episodes C- (tied with Tyrant S2, better than Lifetime's reality show "Preachers", worse than Netflix's direct-from-Canada YA Sci-fi show Between)

mm04

AVclub gives the first three episodes C- (tied with Tyrant S2, better than Lifetime's reality show "Preachers", worse than Netflix's direct-from-Canada YA Sci-fi show Between)

I was afraid of that. From event series, to franchise over! I guess we'll see for ourselves soon enough.

tumblr_lxvtpj4Hg61qzcdwso2_400.gif

I didn't enjoy what I saw of S1 of True Detective, so I won't be checking out the second season, but I really love the theme song they commissioned for it. I can't wait to hear the full version.

Clevinger

"THE SAD FOOL'S SONG"

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

INT. OLD WOMAN'S BASEMENT - DAY
A rugged male detective, RED, with an aura more like a bear than a man, is lead into the crime scene by the pretty female M.E. They are careful to step over the victim's Amiibo and anime figurines strewn across the floor. There was clearly a fierce struggle, like the one we fight every day for our soul.

RED
All right, who's our vic?​

M.E.
Branson Yeswalk. 35, lives in his parent's basement, writes for the A.D. Hub.​

RED
What the fuck is the A.D. Hub?​

A beat. It feels like it lasts two lifetimes.

M.E.
Some shitty television critic site.​

ivysaur12

Banned

The reviews seem to be all over the place. I do wonder -- and this is a different discussion -- if that because Nic Pizza seems to be such a repugnant human that there's less of a need for a critical consensus because of how little critical goodwill he has left. I don't think it's necessarily a conscious thing, but there can be a hive mind when it comes to reviews, especially for TV, that this almost feels like a conscience vote on the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The reviews seem to be all over the place. I do wonder -- and this is a different discussion -- if that because Nic Pizza seems to be such a repugnant human that there's less of a need for a critical consensus because of how little critical goodwill he has left. I don't think it's necessarily a conscience thing, but there can be a hive mind when it comes to reviews, especially for TV, that this almost feels like a conscience vote on the season.
I mean, people still like Fresh Off the Boat even though Eddie Huang keeps criticising it. I guess there's a line between Pizzaman and Huang though.

Which is insane because that's not true at all...
Well, they were middle of the road siding on "watch it because it's a summer series"... so are you saying it's terrible or that it's exceptional? lol

I remember the episode of From Earth to the Moon that was basically all about the wives, so I can see a series about that being interesting. I could also see it turning into Mad Men x Desperate Housewives though.

TheOddOne

The reviews seem to be all over the place. I do wonder -- and this is a different discussion -- if that because Nic Pizza seems to be such a repugnant human that there's less of a need for a critical consensus because of how little critical goodwill he has left. I don't think it's necessarily a conscience thing, but there can be a hive mind when it comes to reviews, especially for TV, that this almost feels like a conscience vote on the season.
Kind of, because reviewers, at least the ones I follow, also keep up with everything else surrounding TV projects and that knowledge sometimes influences their stance . Especially now that Showrunners are more prominently know to the general public, it hard not to make consensus links between the creator and the content of the show. Seeing as Nic again wrote the whole season on his own, it’s difficult not to focus on him—especially after the really self-aggrandizing interviews, over self-importance, and the doggy way he handled the season one plagiarism claims. The show’s unmaking isn’t the show itself, but Nic himself. He did so many scummy things in succession that people are looking thoroughly through microscopes to not get scammed, again. And I can’t blame reviewers for highlighting his behavior, instead of glossing over it.

- NY Mag: Why is Netflix doing an Ashton Kutcher sitcom?
On Wednesday, Netflix reportedly picked up a new multi-camera comedy from Two and a Half Men's showrunners that'll reunite That '70s Show co-stars Ashton Kutcher and Danny Masterson. That show is said to be the launching pad for Netflix's new streaming model: 20 episodes, released ten at a time, twice in one year. The Ranch is just one of many new shows and films — including projects from Brad Pitt and Baz Luhrmann — that Netflix has in the pipeline for the next couple of years. As the streaming wars heat up, where does Netflix's future stand? Vulture's Joe Adalian and Dee Lockett have lots of feelings.

El Topo

I cannot be worse than Between. If it was 60 minutes of dead air it wouldn't be worse.

I like how they ignore mostly that Netflix is also available outside the US.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
'When Calls the Heart' Season Two Strikes a Chord With Viewers On-Air and in Social

Hallmark Channel’s original scripted series, When Calls the Heart, culminated a winning second season on Saturday night with the finale garnering a 2.1 HH rating and 2.1 million total viewers on a Live+3 basis. Additionally, the season 2 closer elevated Hallmark Channel to be the most watched network in the 8pm time period among HHs and total viewers.

In addition to tuning in, the show’s ardent fans, who call themselves “Hearties”, took to social media in record numbers making the finale the #1 Tweeted episodic series premiere during Saturday prime. Moreover, the episode generated the most social engagement and highest tweets (81,368) – 89% of which contained #Hearties – of any Hallmark Channel original series, movie, or special premiere in network history.

#HeartiesStayWinning

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Also not his show, though. Which is part of his criticism.
That's fair. Although it's weird because he still does the narration. I'm really curious if he's around for S2, since it really felt like that was contractual obligation.

Also, The Astronauts Wives club is as average as they said it would be. Good if you like a breezy entry into the 60s space race, complete with affairs and women drinking and some platitudes towards the early feminist movement (someday women will be astronauts too!), but nothing really essentially.

They're also skipping around the timeline really quickly, which is why I can see this being a one and done show for the summer.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Also, The Astronauts Wives club is as average as they said it would be. Good if you like a breezy entry into the 60s space race, complete with affairs and women drinking and some platitudes towards the early feminist movement (someday women will be astronauts too!), but nothing really essentially.

They're also skipping around the timeline really quickly, which is why I can see this being a one and done show for the summer.
If you're interested in the subject matter, you're surely better off just reading the book of the same name. It'll be infinitely more informative, accurate, and probably take up less of your time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Crikey, Todd VanDerWerff is calling HBO's new lineup (True Detective, Ballers, and The Brink) "the most disappointing full lineup the network has ever assembled." :s

dat social media buzz

I'm sure Hallmark made bank on those 81,000 tweets; definitely makes sense to crow about them in a press release

Damn right!

Whooter

Anyone heard anything about the status of "Forever"? I know it was being shopped around after ABC cancelled, but are there any whispers that they might actually succeed in getting it on a new network?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you're interested in the subject matter, you're surely better off just reading the book of the same name. It'll be infinitely more informative, accurate, and probably take up less of your time.
I'll probably treat it as something that's on in the background. lol

Speaking of, the David Hasselhoff show managed to be worse than the Billy Crystal show. I think these older actors need to give up on skewering themselves in mockumentary tv shows about their dwindling careers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I like Graceland. It's the only USA show I watch since I lost Psych, White Collar and Burn Notice. Suits and Royal Pains have overstayed their welcome, and have run out of steam.

I'm only watching it because of White Collar. But the story lines are just bad. Paige does something irrational, screws up an operation. Rinse and repeat for all the character quarks.

Suits is the only thing USA has that is worth a damn. They better be DAMN GLAD they got that in before their "blue sky initiative" was killed.

maxcriden

Dear Hostages Bros,

Complications on USA. WATCH IT!

Vert boil.

Omg seriously? You know I was hostages #1 fan on GAF!!!

P.s. Y'all said the new Suton Foster show is good right?

P.s. #2 extant is coming back in just a couple of weeks! So psyched. So many good genre shows!!

Omg seriously? You know I was hostages #1 fan on GAF!!!

P.s. Y'all said the new Suton Foster show is good right?

P.s. #2 extant is coming back in just a couple of weeks! So psyched. So many good genre shows!!
Is it? I have it on my DVR but I haven't started it yet.

I love Sutton Foster, but I think I started recording it out love for Bunheads.

anaron

a lot of folks seem to like "Younger" plus it's Sutton so it's probably worth giving a go.

the true detective backlash is giving me liiiiife. (even if I did really want to it be a turnaround for Kitsch)

*obligatory and annoying "SHOULDNT HAVE CANCELLED ENLIGHTENED!"*

styl3s

I like Graceland. It's the only USA show I watch since I lost Psych, White Collar and Burn Notice. Suits and Royal Pains have overstayed their welcome, and have run out of steam.
Royal Pains is like 3 seasons past it's welcome and Suits was good for 2 seasons but every season is literally the same 2-3 arcs. Someone finds out about Mike's secret, friction between Mike/Harvey and/or Mike/Rachel and Louis is pissed and needs his ego stroked.

I'm only watching it because of White Collar. But the story lines are just bad. Paige does something irrational, screws up an operation. Rinse and repeat for all the character quarks.

Suits is the only thing USA has that is worth a damn. They better be DAMN GLAD they got that in before their "blue sky initiative" was killed.
I would of agreed with this statement 3 seasons ago but it's way too repetitive at this point.

It was a USA thing where they wanted to make shows with more optimistic tones, sunny locations, etc. Basically shows that make you feel happy.
They shouldn't of canceled Psych then. 8 seasons and it was still hilarious which is beyond rare in TV, especially for a 1 hour drama/comedy. usually shows like that get burnt out 5-6 seasons in but 8 seasons in they still kept it fresh.

Should of just killed off Juliet and pushed for 2 more seasons.

Link

The Autumn Wind
They shouldn't of canceled Psych then. 8 seasons and it was still hilarious which is beyond rare in TV, especially for a 1 hour drama/comedy. usually shows like that get burnt out 5-6 seasons in but 8 seasons in they still kept it fresh.

The saying goes: Better a show gets cancelled a season too early than a season too late. It hurts when a show ends when it's still good, but it's for the best in the long run. History tends to shine more brightly on those shows.

Patryn

Royal Pains is like 3 seasons past it's welcome and Suits was good for 2 seasons but every season is literally the same 2-3 arcs. Someone finds out about Mike's secret, friction between Mike/Harvey and/or Mike/Rachel and Louis is pissed and needs his ego stroked.

I would of agreed with this statement 3 seasons ago but it's way too repetitive at this point.

The Blue Sky Initiative was killed off about 4 years ago.

Hence things like Graceland, Mr. Robot, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom