• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next Sunday:

Humans
Halt and Catch Fire
Masters of Sex
True Detective
Ballers
The Brink
Ray Donovan
The Strain

7 hours of (mostly bad) television.

SEVEN HOURS

on Sunday alone

send help

Eh, outside of the two HBO "comedies" that's what I'll be DVRing as well. Humans is okay, Halt and Catch Fire and Masters of Sex are great, and The Strain/True Detective are so shockingly bad I couldn't possibly stop hate-watching them. The only one I'm really dreading is Ray Donovan so I suspect those episodes will just sit on my Tivo for awhile.

- IGN: Comic-Con: Poster and Comic Book Cover for Robert Kirkman's Outcast
ac330bfeb43a6c73d7e812866539db21.jpg
Quarry 2015 come on.

Futurematic

I'm sold on Unreal, those were a funny & dark pair of opening episodes. Does it remind anyone else of Chart Throb? Though I suppose that's the only other behind-the-scenes reality show thing I've consumed recently.

As I've never watched a full episode of a dating (or singing, for that matter) reality show, there's an interesting layer of knowing I'm missing a bunch of cues most every other viewer is understanding as regards "Enchanted" (brilliant name), which is fun too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh shit, that lady from season 3-4 (I think) of Boston Legal is on UnReal? Interest just rose 1000% I loved her

danielcw

Oh shit, that lady from season 3-4 (I think) of Boston Legal is on UnReal? Interest just rose 1000% I loved her

You mean Constance Zimmer, she was only in season 3, from episode 2 onward? (and not in the season premiere)
She came to Boston Legal together with Craig Bierko, who apparently also stars in UnReal.

Patryn

Anyone follow TV critics? What happened to Fienberg and why did he leave Hitfix?

I'm curious if Sepinwall just overshadowed him, and the site tightened its belt a little bit.

It seems very curious that he's apparently leaving without another position lined up.

Kind of reminds me of the weird way they dropped TVTattle just out of nowhere.

big ander

Anyone follow TV critics? What happened to Fienberg and why did he leave Hitfix?

Doesn't sound like there was any big story behind it--Fienberg said as much in his departure announcement. He even specified in the comments that he chose to go, HitFix didn't tell him to leave. Sure, maybe he's saying that in response to them denying him a raise or something. Doesn't sound contentious however.

EDIT: and the dissolve closing is a big bummer.

berzeli

Banned
- The Dissolve closes down.

Liked their content, but didn't visit them that often. Still sad to see them go :(

Ahhhh fuck. The Dissolve was my go-to website for film. Funny, insightful and usually spot on with their critique. This review for dipshit revisionist drama Field of Lost Shoes summaries a lot of the whys of why I loved that website:

Here’s John Sergeant Wise (Luke Benward) in the opening voiceover of Sean McNamara’s new Civil War drama Field Of Lost Shoes, describing how his father took him to a slave auction in 1858 to teach him a lesson about the evils of slavery:
My father’s heart had long since changed on the topic, and one night, he took me to a place that would forever change my own.
Here’s the actual John Sergeant Wise describing the same incident, in his 1899 memoir The End Of An Era:
Among my Northern kinsfolk was a young uncle, a handsome, witty fellow, much younger than my mother… He asked if I had ever seen a slave sale.
That uncle, erased from the film to make John Sergeant Wise’s father look more enlightened than he was, died fighting for the Union.
There are as many examples of this sort of bullshit in the film as the screenplay has words. Its subject is the Battle Of New Market, in which Confederate general John C. Breckinridge fed a battalion of Virginia Military Institute cadets—children, really—into the thresher, killing 10 of them and wounding 45 more. Just like kindly old abolitionist Henry A. Wise, the film’s cadets were a remarkably progressive bunch for the children of elite Virginians of the 1860s. For example, there’s a sequence in which they save VMI’s slave cook “Old Judge” (Keith David) from hanging by volunteering to be hung in his place. There’s also a scene in which they stop their march to save an African-American trapped under a wagon, so she can flee the approaching Union forces for some reason. And the racial harmony goes both ways; at the end, Old Judge weeps on the battlefield over the corpses of men who died to keep him in chains. The film is adequately directed, well-photographed, and competently acted. But it’s rotten at its core.

So yeah. I'm sad now. Does anyone know of a good website for film?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I wonder what the feasibility would be for AMC to shift Halt and Catch Fire over to SundanceTV?

The show's audience is extremely small for AMC but if something like Rectify can survive year after year with an even smaller audience (we're talking like 1/3 the ratings of the already abysmally rated H&CF) on Sundance, then maybe it would be a better fit over there? I have no idea what the differences in logistics are for both shows - budget, production model, international, streaming, etc. - but Sundance doesn't seem to care about ratings at this point. They seem to care more about prestige and building up their brand as a Quality Destination, so maybe low ratings wouldn't matter to them as much as the fact that Halt and Catch Fire is actually garnering great notices this season?

thots

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
this + UnReal renewal = much, much happiness.

just please let Hannibal make it somehow

The actors were all released from their contracts, weren't they?

Teaser for a new Showtime drama Billions, starring Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis.

- Billions | 'Follow the Money' Tease

Looks awesome. Premiering in 2016, considering there is a teaser already and Deadline said it's early 2016, i would assume they might move House of Lies and Episodes to spring and pair Bllions with Shameless? Or just premiere it sometimes in the spring.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Loved the first episode of UnReal, you were all right.

Except Ratsky

Also Zimmer is my waifu, leave her alone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doesn't sound like there was any big story behind it--Fienberg said as much in his departure announcement. He even specified in the comments that he chose to go, HitFix didn't tell him to leave. Sure, maybe he's saying that in response to them denying him a raise or something. Doesn't sound contentious however.

EDIT: and the dissolve closing is a big bummer.
Yeah, I read that. And I guess I have no reason to think it's something more sinister, since I've seen this happen with IGN where all the long term guys just left after being put in charge. Maybe he just didn't want to manage people and just wanted to write, but it just seems strange for what amounts to a founder to leave the site to do... nothing.

Also, too bad about the Dissolve. I think trying to create a "Polygon" for media probably sounded like a good idea, but the difference being there are so many more media outlets out there to compete with compared to game reporting.
Maybe if they hired Armond White to be their Ben Kuchera, they'd still be around.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Teaser for a new Showtime drama Billions, starring Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis.

- Billions | 'Follow the Money' Tease

Looks awesome. Premiering in 2016, considering there is a teaser already and Deadline said it's early 2016, i would assume they might move House of Lies and Episodes to spring and pair Bllions with Shameless? Or just premiere it sometimes in the spring.
The teaser is just from the pilot, I don't believe shooting has begun on the rest of the season yet. That said, they have plenty of time to make a January premiere.

Episodes doesn't begin shooting its next season until next year, so that's definitely pushed back from its typical slot.

So... I would think your educated guess is the most likely scenario, although it's possible they'd want to split up those two hour-longs and pair each with a thirty minute comedy.

Aegus

I want to join the flock of people praising Unreal. Or as I think it, the Shiri Appleby. She utterly dominates every scene she is in and every scene that doesn't involve her is boring.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Um, excuse me, but did you miss TVGuide's 12 Surprisingly Good Lifetime Original Movies? I do think the surprise expressed by the very title encapsulates everything you really need to know about the network.

Surprisingly, only like one of them was an after school special about rape.

I think I saw "No One Would Tell" back in the day...

I had another one but that ended up being a NBC made for TV movie, broadcast networks did several bits of based on true story nightmare fuel for me in the late 80s. Specifically the ones I'm taking about being "David" that ABC did and "A Cry for Help: The Tracey Thurman Story", the latter was the one I thought was on Lifetime, but I'm pretty sure they re-aired it quite a bit back in the 90s. I can still remember bits of the nightmares David gave me.

Rhaknar

UnReal is appalling and we should be ashamed for loving it.

It's like when we cheered for Vic and his guys on the Shield. Shame on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom