• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much do they charge for ad space on that show? Sheesh.
From the NY Post
The fourth season debut of the zombies-versus-humans drama, which drew a best-in-class 16.1 million viewers, has allowed the cable network to ask for as much as $600,000 for a 30-second spot, Madison Avenue sources said.
From Variety
The Walking Dead* (AMC) Sunday 2014: $413,695

It commands one of the higher ad rates in the business.

Decado

To be fair, I'm not sure how much of the book it follows

Most of 4B last year was original... and this new arc is just confusing

Does 4B refer to the second half of the 4th season? In that case they should stick to the comic storyline. First half of season 4 was awesome, second half was shit. Huge drop in quality.

This is going to end up being a bad move. Gotham feels like a series that would work best with a more limited order.

Ugh, yes. Thought I recalled hearing that S1 was only planned and plotted for 16, too.

But the show is pretty much Fox's only bright spot in a terrible season, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Penguin

Does 4B refer to the second half of the 4th season? In that case they should stick to the comic storyline. First half of season 4 was awesome, second half was shit. Huge drop in quality.

Yeah, the whole getting to Terminus plot wasn't from the comic.
Not to my memory anyhow

How is it on any bubble in that situation?

It was a bad joke
(Especially since already confirmed a 6th season)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, precisely.

The show lost me at the season two premiere, and I'm sure neither AMC nor the fanbase misses my preferences ;)

If you haven't watched the show since since two, why are you still complaining about the writing? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

edornob

It's amazingly cute. Loved it.

Holyshit, Jane the Virgin is surprisingly great. Probably the best new show out of CW's fall line up including The Flash which was also good.

The twists are so over the top but not to the point where it's corny. The episode ends with so many fucking possibilities, it's hilariously unpredictable.

Edit: Someone make a Jane The Virgin thread.

Sober

Jane the Virgin is a pretty big surprise for me too, watched the pilot and really enjoyed it more than I was expecting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If you haven't watched the show since since two, why are you still complaining about the writing? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm not really, or not directly. Just giving a passing jab at it in response to the quote. The general point would be, no one is going to look at the continually rising ratings and think there's a problem that requires fixing, whether it is or is not present.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not really, or not directly. Just giving a passing jab at it in response to the quote. The general point would be, no one is going to look at the continually rising ratings and think there's a problem that requires fixing, whether it is or is not present.

I see. Your point is sound, but the writing on the show is actually pretty solid at this point. AMC finally found a showrunner that knows what they're doing in Scott Gimple.

danielcw

How are budgets factored and applied? Is it an X amount per episode with an X number of episodes or are they given a lump sum for number of episodes agreed to and ordered where the people in charge of the show having to figure it out how much to spend per episode to make sure they have enough money to meet the agreed to number of episodes? Or some other way? I know I've seen a number of times in the past where producers talk about trying to save money so they can put it into a "big episode" or their finale. But how does it work exactly?

No idea how budgets actually work, but one thing I seem to understand is this:
The networks (The CW in this case) do not pay the budget. They pay a license fee.
Not sure how much that is, but the numbers I heard imply, that the fee is usally half of the shows budget or less. The rest of the money comes from (international) syndication, homevideo sales, etc. (no idea how pilots factor into this)
But since the networks pay such a huge chunk, they also have a say in scripts, etc.

So what does that mean for our discussion? Not much I guess, but that the networks don't directly have to worry about budgets, or how to split them.
If I would have to bet, I would bet on The CW paying the same per episode, no matter if it is 13, 22 or 23.

And now I am waiting for someone to explain to me, how I am all wrong :)

I'm not sure how much Gotham they can squeeze (stretch) into 22 episodes.
Why do you think they would have stretch?

No idea how budgets actually work, but one thing I seem to understand is this:
The networks (The CW in this case) do not pay the budget. They pay a license fee.
Not sure how much that is, but the numbers I heard imply, that the fee is usally half of the shows budget or less. The rest of the money comes from (international) syndication, homevideo sales, etc. (no idea how pilots factor into this)
But since the networks pay such a huge chunk, they also have a say in scripts, etc.

So what does that mean for our discussion? Not much I guess, but that the networks don't directly have to worry about budgets, or how to split them.
If I would have to bet, I would bet on The CW paying the same per episode, no matter if it is 13, 22 or 23.

And now I am waiting for someone to explain to me, how I am all wrong :)

That would probably make sense since the network it airs probably isn't getting anything back except what is earned on ad revenue, completely forgot about licensing. While the production company/studio or division if they have have the same parent company would make money everywhere else.

Patryn

They were announced as having a 16-episode season. There are interviews with the cast where they talk about the benefits of a 16-episode season. I have little doubt they've done a lot of planning of the season-long arcs around 16-episodes.

Now they have 22 episodes.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wow, those TWD numbers are amazing, I honestly did not expect it to grow but to hold at best :O

JtV numbers:
@TVMoJoe said:
JANE THE VIRGIN debuts with 1.7M viewers and a 0.6 A18-49. Builds on ORIGINALS (1.3M, 0.7) lead-in among viewers & solid A18-49 retention.

JANE also double the A18-49 score of former timeslot occupant BEAUTY & THE BEAST and did 2.5x as well with A18-34 (0.5 vs. 0.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom