• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

Great article. Greenwald's unending love for YTW is so entertaining.
YTW is legitimately great. I went into it with nearly no expectations and now I'd call it one of the best new sitcoms in a very strong year.

Show hits all the right notes coming from Happy Endings save the fat guy who's more just annoying fat loser than funny.
I think he's funny, but I may be bringing part of that over from his kinda similar character on Broad City.

I gave Selfie, A to Z and Manhattan 2 episodes. They all lost me.

Even Mixology had more staying power.

I wonder if The Last Man on Earth will actually air.
1) Mixology was horrible; A to Z and Selfie are just not great. (Selfie is actually not bland, it's more of a bizarre blend of good and bad in the same show that averages out to not being very good.)

2) I am looking forwards to Last Man on Earth. Teaser trailer looked entertaining, Will Forte is funny, Lord and Miller are great, and the only writer I've heard they've hired is Andy Bobrow, who is a funny guy and used to write for Community. (I met him very very briefly at CommuniCon this past weekend. Remind me about this after Last Man debuts.)

TheOddOne

- Vulture: How Close to Cancellation Are These 10 New Fall TV Shows?
Red Band Society (Fox)

You know how network execs these days are always being quoted talking about the importance of DVR ratings and how crucial delayed viewing is to determining a show’s future? This pediatric-ward drama could be a good test-case to see if said execs really mean what they say. Based solely on same-day ratings, Red Band is flatlining, hovering just over 3 million viewers and a 1.0 rating among viewers under 50 the last few weeks it has aired. But once the supposedly all-important DVR viewers are tallied, the show’s numbers look much healthier (if still modest). The show’s October 8 episode, for example, nearly doubled after delaying viewing, leaping from an awful 0.9 rating in the key demo to a decent 1.7 — on a par with newcomers such as NBC’s Mysteries of Laura and ABC’s Forever. Fox suits recently asked the writers to deliver another four scripts, a move that often leads to more episodes being ordered. Whether that happens probably depends on how the show does when it returns from a World Series–caused hiatus, but right now, it wouldn’t be shocking to see Fox give Red Band at least a little more time. Long-term, however, some of those delayed viewers are going to have start watching the series the night it airs for Fox to consider a second season.
More at link.

Patryn

I believe there were some changes at the network and the directional shift away from Sci Fi was an attempt to bank on the lower cost and boon in popularity of "reality." Glad to see a shift back to what it should be though.

I don't believe it was fully reality.

They wanted to become something akin to USA2, but with maybe a bit more fantastic bent.

I don't believe it was fully reality.

They wanted to become something akin to USA2, but with maybe a bit more fantastic bent.

Well no, it wasn't fully reality but they cancelled most of their original scripted shows and replaced them with liscensed Sci Fi from Canadian networks. I think Helix and Defiance were their only original scripted shows before this season and they were both only on their one season in at that point.

Speaking of Fox....youd think theyd have announced more 24 by now.

And the Prison Break spinoff they were planning, the ones with all girls. Oh wait, they dropped the ball and Netflix capitalized on that idea.

So... what happens to a show after it is cancelled by a network? Asking because I just noticed they'll be filming Manhattan Love Story outside my office tomorrow.

Patryn

So... what happens to a show after it is cancelled by a network? Asking because I just noticed they'll be filming Manhattan Love Story outside my office tomorrow.

I assume that's a case where the episodes are still ordered, the money is still flowing, so they're still obligated to deliver the episodes to the network/studio even if they won't be aired.

A lot of shows that got cancelled and got DVD sets still have unaired episodes in the set, for instance.

Foreign networks that bought the whole season still need their episodes.

ABC tends to wait until summer to burn off their shows, even online-only (Apartment 13)

DieH@rd

Banned
Interview with SyFy head of original programming, Bill McGoldrick, about the network’s new direction.

- EW: Syfy plans to lure you back with these 5 shows

Great article. Hopefully they will pull it off. Defiance [especially S2] and Helix have proven that SyFy has moved on from "procedural comedic barely related to SF" concepts.

BTW, this is the first time I saw that they will make this:
Hunters. Series, 13 episodes. Based on Whitley Strieber’s novel Alien Hunter, a Philadelphia cop searches for his missing wife leads and discovers a secret government unit that assembled to hunt a group of ruthless terrorists who may not be from this world. Premieres 2016.

Palmer_v1

Looks like black-ish is the breakout hit of the season.

Who saw that coming?

I hated that garish key art so much, but I liked the pilot a lot. I didn't expect it to be THE breakout hit, but I didn't expect it to get canceled either. It has a great cast and pretty good chemistry.

I hated that garish key art so much, but I liked the pilot a lot. I didn't expect it to be THE breakout hit, but I didn't expect it to get canceled either. It has a great cast and pretty good chemistry.

I assumed the name would scare people away from even trying it.

Im glad to see racism is over in America.

Wonder if they'll keep Black-Ish with Modern Family next year or try to get it to anchor its own night/slot

I don't know the Middle is getting a little long in the tooth, same with last man Standing. Some swapping might be in order, doubly so if Cristela does well for Friday.

Well no, it wasn't fully reality but they cancelled most of their original scripted shows and replaced them with liscensed Sci Fi from Canadian networks. I think Helix and Defiance were their only original scripted shows before this season and they were both only on their one season in at that point.

That was much later. As Patryn says, they went away from sci-fi because they figured they could get better viewership doing USA-lite shows with a slight fantastical twist. That was when they started Warehouse 13, Eureka etc. What you're talking about is the situation when those shows came to an end, 5-6 years later, and they had utterly failed in adding any even remotely successful shows in the interim.

Personally I have no problem with the imported shows, but they should be an added bonus to their self produced shows, not a cheaper alternative.

That was much later. As Patryn says, they went away from sci-fi because they figured they could get better viewership doing USA-lite shows with a slight fantastical twist. That was when they started Warehouse 13, Eureka etc. What you're talking about is the situation when those shows came to an end, 5-6 years later, and they had utterly failed in adding any even remotely successful shows in the interim.

Personally I have no problem with the imported shows, but they should be an added bonus to their self produced shows, not a cheaper alternative.

I think then, that there's a.. disconnect between our definitions of Sci Fi. Shows like Eureka, Sanctuary, Wherehouse 13, etc.. I still consider Sci Fi. They're not hard Sci Fi like say Stargate or BSG but I still felt they fit the channel well enough. Eureka and Sanctuary especially. I also wouldn't say that the shows weren't remotely successful, though they obviously didn't reach the heights of BSG. What I considered the worst offense from them was the shift to stuff like Scare Tactics, Total Blackout, and the numerous Ghost Hunters spin offs.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think then, that there's a.. disconnect between our definitions of Sci Fi. Shows like Eureka, Sanctuary, Wherehouse 13, etc.. I still consider Sci Fi. They're not hard Sci Fi like say Stargate or BSG but I still felt they fit the channel well enough. Eureka and Sanctuary especially. I also wouldn't say that the shows weren't remotely successful, though they obviously didn't reach the heights of BSG. What I considered the worst offense from them was the shift to stuff like Scare Tactics, Total Blackout, and the numerous Ghost Hunters spin offs.

bingo

Ghost Hunters signaled the (temporary?) downfall of the channel. Eureka and Warehouse 13 were basically the network's way of pretending to still be about scifi while it filled the schedule with reality shlock.

Ugh Man I hope Forever & Red Band Survive. I like them both

they will not

ivysaur12

Banned
So, a thought on the idea of "stereotypical":

Tim Goodman of THR recently decried The McCarthy's of being "stereotypical." (a comment on quality: The McCarthy's pilot exists in the very commonly populated area of "fine".)

What is so stereotypical about The McCarthy's? That the gay main character doesn't play sports? That he watches The Good Wife with his mom? That they're Irish and living in Boston?

We're not serving LGBT characters on TV if every one is a bitchy sidekick. We're also not serving reality if gayness is just something that is never explored or it feels like "and also..."

There are gay men who love sports. There are gay men (and straight men) who don't give a shit. That's an honest experience -- and from someone who grew up in a similar household that the one on this show portrays, I find it sort of insulting that anything that could rememble a "stereotype" is stereotypical. The McCarthy's is attempting, at least it seems to attempt, to explore what it means to be gay in a family that prides itself on machismo. That's not stereotypical -- it's actually one of the few comedy pilots that has a clear POV.

I didn't love the pilot. It's not stereotypical, and to call it such is shitty criticism.

Your first mistake was paying attention to anything Tim Goodman has to say, though I admit I've fallen into that trap myself before.

He has pretty bad taste.

TheOddOne

animation1oqpq6.gif

anaron

I could not believe the kind of magic I was was witnessing when I saw the ad for that last week.

Thank you NBC, thank you

TheOddOne

- Salon: The limits of buzz: How DC comics is winning its war with Marvel — on television
It’s interesting, then, that Marvel’s success with film doesn’t translate to television. And I don’t mean that Marvel’s one television show airing right now — the awkwardly titled “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” on ABC — is necessarily bad; it’s not great, but it’s fine. It’s more that DC, the Red Sox to Marvel’s Yankees, is absolutely killing it on television.

For starters, it just has more shows on air. “S.H.I.E.L.D.” will be joined in January by “Marvel’s Agent Carter,” a period show set during World War II starring Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter, first seen in 2011’s “Captain America” as the girlfriend to the Captain himself. DC, meanwhile, has three shows airing right now, a fourth premiering on Friday, and two more in development. “Arrow,” which just started its third season, is the oldest of these — a scrappy show about a minor hero that has become a cult hit on the CW. Its success led to the same producers creating a spinoff, “The Flash,” on the same network. The Batman prequel series “Gotham” has a plum spot in Fox’s prime-time lineup, and last Friday, NBC premiered “Constantine,” based on DC/Vertigo’s “Hellblazer” comics.

And they’re all better than “S.H.I.E.L.D.” Prettier, riskier and more engaging.
More at link.

:\

Clevinger

And they’re all better than “S.H.I.E.L.D.” Prettier, riskier and more engaging.

...prettier? Seriously?

Anyway, I can't wait until Daredevil comes out and kicks the shit out of Arrow and The Flash in about every way.

Patryn

Apparently not. People have been overrating stuff like Arrow to shit on SHIELD since it started. This is the just the latest example.

Is it not possible that these people just preferred Arrow to SHIELD?

I like and watch both shows, but I know that I prefer Arrow. That doesn't make SHIELD a bad show.

I'm also looking forward to Daredevil and will likely watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom