• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

SHIELD is catching up in terms of consistency, but Arrow is still good. Damn good. The Flash is fun too...we can have all the great shows! Daredevil will hopefully continue the trend..

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
animation1oqpq6.gif

Ahhhhhh!

Anyway, I can't wait until Daredevil comes out and kicks the shit out of Arrow and The Flash in about every way.

same tbh

I'm sure Daredevil will be good, but better than Arrow? I'm skeptical. Does Matt Murdock even have a salmon ladder?

Steven DeKnight brah. Steven DeKnight.

TheOddOne

Fox PR'd some numbers and stuff about their shows. I understand some of these numbers, I think.
Noteworthy Highlights

· As the TV industry continues to discuss the importance of counting non-linear viewing, FOX saw +15% more non-linear viewing (FOX NOW, Hulu and VOD days 4+) on FOX original telecasts during Premiere Week this season vs last.

· Over 30 days of Multi-Platform viewership, the series premiere of GOTHAM delivered an average audience of 22.2 Mil, up +168% versus its Live + Same Day viewership.

- GOTHAM drew an average audience of 5.0 million outside of the viewing measured by Nielsen -- on Hulu/FOXNOW and on VOD in the 4+ Day window. This marks the largest non-linear audience of any FOX telecast in the last three years.
· The series premiere of RED BAND SOCIETY accumulated an average audience of 9.9 million over 30 days of Multi-Platform viewing – a +142% increase versus its same-day delivery.

- RED BAND SOCIETY saw very high unduplicated encore viewership of its premiere that same week, adding 2.3 million new viewers.

- Among this season’s FOX premieres, RED BAND SOCIETY (1.7 Mil) ranks #4 in non-linear average audience following #1 Gotham, #2 Family Guy and #3 New Girl, and ranks #2 overall in VOD (0.8 million) following #1 Gotham’s premiere.​

Seeing those gifs repeatedly.. I can't help but to feel that the should have been a second flip variation in between the bow shots at the big rig.

I mean if you're going to do it, do it right.

element

I have actually enjoyed Bad Judge. It is silly laugh.

A to Z was just awful, even with how cute Cristin Milioti is. It is a bad version of 500 Days of Summer with a less likable lead. Serious the guy they casted was a terrible decision. Also it plays too much on internal human monologues in dating that actually make it sad to watch. Not to mention they tell you flat out that they break up in the intro. Why do I want to watch a cute couple fall in love and then fall apart in 22 minute chunks each week?

ivysaur12

Banned
I have actually enjoyed Bad Judge. It is silly laugh.

A to Z was just awful, even with how cute Cristin Milioti is. It is a bad version of 500 Days of Summer with a less likable lead. Serious the guy they casted was a terrible decision. Also it plays too much on internal human monologues in dating that actually make it sad to watch. Not to mention they tell you flat out that they break up in the intro. Why do I want to watch a cute couple fall in love and then fall apart in 22 minute chunks each week?

They date for that long, and then they get engaged in the season (series) finale.

element

They date for that long, and then they get engaged in the season (series) finale.
Perhaps it is the jaded dater in me, but I never got that impression, mostly because the shows premise is a start and end, A to Z. Unless they planned on A to Z, start to death.

They might have to do that now. Shotgun wedding or they both die a horrible death.

element

No, that's actually how their season was (is?) arced/pitched.
Not that it matters now, but what would have the 2nd season been? A to Z, Wedding Season then to A to Z, First Year Married Season and then A to Z, Pregnant Season, A to Z, Toddlers Season.

Glad the show was canceled now.

ivysaur12

Banned
Not that it matters now, but what would have the 2nd season been? A to Z, Wedding Season then to A to Z, First Year Married Season and then A to Z, Pregnant Season, A to Z, Toddlers Season.

Glad the show was canceled now.

I have no idea, just that the first season was them getting engaged at the end.

beat

I have no idea, just that the first season was them getting engaged at the end.

Where did you hear that? Not doubting you, but as far as I know, it was never public. Heck, at the end of the pilot, the two stars appeared with the showrunner and they guessed what would happen at the end of the eight months.

ivysaur12

Banned
Where did you hear that? Not doubting you, but as far as I know, it was never public. Heck, at the end of the pilot, the two stars appeared with the showrunner and they guessed what would happen at the end of the eight months.

Because I know people who work(ed) on A to Z and I asked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's insane the numbers aren't counted in this day and age, could have saved a bunch of great shows from cancellation really, especially in the <35 age group there is just tons of shows that are being watch on VOD instead of Cable.

Networks don't renew or cancel shows because the ratings are good, they renew or cancel shows because they make money and certain kinds of ratings are used to establish ad rates and sell ads and add are the main way by which programming makes money.

Networks can pressure firms to pay for, say, C+7 rather than L+3--but ultimately of an advertiser isn't willing to pay then the rating is not usual:

Also, while using different ratings might have saved some shows, it might--would have cancelled others. Assuming a somewhat fixed amount of ad revenue, changing the shape of the distribution is zero sum across the board.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Something about the way that the VO says that it's the length of time they dated, rather than the length of their relationship. Of course, that a show would need a way out if it got renewed also played into that.

That's too bad though. I liked it more than any of the other new sitcoms.

So I watched a little bit of Mysteries of Laura and I think it maybe the spiritual succesor to Harry's Law. This season has been great for older skewing television.

Memles

Because I know people who work(ed) on A to Z and I asked.

And they more or less said as much at press tour when one critic took them at face value and was like "Why the hell would I watch a show where I know they're going to break up?" It was a weird response at the time, because I was like "Duh, they're going to break up temporarily or get engaged." But some people chose to take the show at face value, which seems to be something television has taught us not to do.

beat

And they more or less said as much at press tour when one critic took them at face value and was like "Why the hell would I watch a show where I know they're going to break up?" It was a weird response at the time, because I was like "Duh, they're going to break up temporarily or get engaged." But some people chose to take the show at face value, which seems to be something television has taught us not to do.
If you're always looking for the looming twist, then you'll go down rabbit holes like the AV Club review suggesting that maybe the dating countdown is also counting down until the sidekicks get together. I'd rather just take TV at its word whenever possible.

Sober

If you're always looking for the looming twist, then you'll go down rabbit holes like the AV Club review suggesting that maybe the dating countdown is also counting down until the sidekicks get together. I'd rather just take TV at its word whenever possible.
Lost ruined a lot of people.

Sheppard

So I cut the cord along time ago to Cable TV and I am a HUGE fan of Constantine. I am wondering if Hulu watching will help in any positive way on if this show was watched or not ratings wise.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom