• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryseing

Not a great show, but I liked the leads. A to Z is better, but none of these romantic comedy shows hold a candle to You're The Worst.

To be fair, YTW has the benefit of being on FX and as a result having the ability to do things network shows can't. YTW simply would not have worked on a big network IMO. Everyone on the show with the exception of Edgar is a shitty person. Good luck getting that greenlit.

beat

To be fair, YTW has the benefit of being on FX and as a result having the ability to do things network shows can't. YTW simply would not have worked on a big network IMO. Everyone on the show with the exception of Edgar is a shitty person. Good luck getting that greenlit.
Well, in some ways I read YTW as Community fanfic of Jeff/Britta...

But anyways, the specifics of why YTW is good isn't because FX let the leads be more unlikable than networks would, IMO. It's because the show is genuinely of the moment and has genuine emotional reactions (by damaged characters who don't necessarily react appropriately nor rationally). The network romcoms of this fall have failed creatively IMO because they feel soulless; they're telling stories by rote. As much as network interference might be a problem at the broadcast networks, there are broadcast sitcoms that have soul.

Paul Hewitt ‏@wittz_end

#TheFlash adds nearly 1.7mil viewers in L3, grows to 5.23mil after 3days of DVR

Nice...

Found the press release on TVBtN since it doesn't seem to be on the CW's press release site yet.

With Live +3 Day Nielsen data, THE FLASH sped to 5.22 million viewers in week 3, adding almost 1.7 million viewers to its Live + Same Day total, a gain of +46%.

THE FLASH also jumped +31% in A18-34 (1.3 to 1.7), +27% in M18-34 (1.5 to 1.9), +33% in A18-49 (1.5 to 2.0), and +39% in M18-49 (1.8 to 2.5).

These were the biggest percentage increases of the season in delayed viewing for THE FLASH in total viewers and in A18-49 and M18-49.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I actually think there's a lot right about The McCarthys. It hits being gay in a large, Irish Catholic family really well*

I speak from experience

I had some problems with some of the characters (the sister and the big dumb brother), but there was more good than bad imo. I liked the mom's obsession with The Closer, the gay church guy, and the tag, which was quite funny. If I watched live TV and CBS, I would probably watch more while folding laundry or something.

You should be a writer for the show btw.

Linius

I had no idea where to post this and didn't felt like doing a LTTP thread, but I started watching Happy Endings. That show is hilarious. Just saw the episode Your Couples Friends & Neighbors with that guy living in the ceiling, so damn great :lol

I'm watching it in production order by the way, I noticed they broadcasted the first season like a big mess. But I'm loving this so far. I finally get to catch up with the years Coach wasn't on New Girl too. Also funny to AJ from Married pop up in the last episode I watched. Too bad he's only in one episode.

Sober

I guess I only watched Lucky 7's trailer the summer before the previous TV season started but I swear I did not even think Lucky 7 was 2013-2014 TV season stuff. Feels like forever ago.

Scorpion is like the definition of middling television. I guess they are fine because they can keep their head down and make a show but they're 5 episodes in and there's almost nothing noteworthy going on.
Are you baiting me brah? The show you are describing is NCIS NO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is there an Effy equivalent?
I'm so far behind that I kind of don't remember the characters except for the one gypsy cop. lol

So many twists.

Charlotte Spencer (Tina) is hnghhhh beautiful.

And the dude that plays Eli is a good actor too.
I think I just got a bit tired of murder mysteries anchoring a show so I put it on the backburner. I want to get back to it, but maybe after Gracepoint. lol

Interview with SyFy head of original programming, Bill McGoldrick, about the network’s new direction.

- EW: Syfy plans to lure you back with these 5 shows
Yet while Syfy was seeking TV’s version of Twilight (like Being Human), or an “Imagine Greater” version of Burn Notice (like Warehouse 13), other channels jumped into the serialized hard sci-fi/fantasy turf trail-blazed by Battlestar. AMC’s The Walking Dead—a premise that nobody in the industry thought would deliver a broad audience—became TV’s highest-rated series. HBO enjoyed huge hits with True Blood and Game of Thrones (the latter another example of a concept insiders considered too narrow). FX unleashed American Horror Story, and A&E got in the game with Bates Motel. In a few years, Syfy’s rivals proved that genre shows weren’t just for geeks.

“We saw an explosion of sci-fi/fantasy content across every cable and broadcast network out there,” Howe said. “Perceptions of the genre have shifted dramatically. What that speaks to is an opportunity to re-own the genre and be at the forefront of high-end buzzy, provocative storytelling — and the epiphany of that was Battlestar.”

Largely in the last year, Syfy has shifted its course. Howe hired new programming chief (Bill McGoldrick, who answers our burning questions in a Q&A below), obtained a larger programming budget from parent company Comcast, and has amassed a truly impressive development slate. There are projects adapted from beloved sci-fi novels (a series based on Lev Grossman’s novel The Magicians, a miniseries adaptation of Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End starring Thrones’ actor Charles Dance), with talented writer-producer (like Oscar-winner Akiva Goldsman) and bigger budgets (the upcoming series The Expanse is the network’s most expensive show ever).

So... Bringing the Sci-Fi back into SyFy? I remember when Bonnie Hammer was in charge and clearly hated it while trying to get away from it when ever she could... Only for it Sci-F and Fantasy to grow significantly in popularity on TV in recent years.

DWTS 2.1 with over 13M viewers, 2.2 with just over 10M viewers and then Gotham also with a 2.2 with only 5.8M viewers, damn. I know there's a further breakdown of the demos out there but that's a lot of people 50+ (or under 18... But more likely not) watching those two shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom