• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it too early to start hoping Reilly could save Sleepy Hollow if it gets the axe from Fox due to it's ratings?
j/k. Sorta. :/

Nope. His first move is obviously going to be the following: Use his connections at Fox to get Brooklyn Nine-Nine axed, blackmail CBS in canceling NCIS: Gumbo edition, and then revive Men of A Certain Age.

I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Blackish doing ok? its growing on me, even if I hated the episode with the spanking

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's doing great. Full season pickup.

cool. I like the lady,she has great chemistry with anderson. The kids are...fine mostof the time, but like I said, that spanking episode was particulary bad with the kids. Morpheus is surprisingly good in the role.

I see some pages back that Sleepy Hollow is tanking, well that is a shame. Gotham seems to be doing ok-ish? Hows Brooklyn 99, thats one of ones I will be really bummed out if its canned

Sober

Spoilers but there wasn't any actual spanking involved.

edit: also blackish is just plain hilarious so people should be watching it anyway.

Nyanko

Neo Member
Jeez, those are painful numbers for NBC. Marry Me is now only a few tenths above the Thursday night comedies despite having the best lead-in.

TheOddOne

Stop trying to make fetch happen.

B1sLw4iCAAAopMm.png

G0523

how is American Dad doing in the ratings ?

It's actually doing really well! It especially helps that Adult Swim airs it a week after TBS and they count those numbers in as well since TBS and Adult Swim are owned by the same company (Time Warner). Creatively though? I feel like it's kinda past its prime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Until Fresh Off The Boat debuts! Assuming it isn't stealth cancelled before then.
I forgot that there was going to be a show based on Huang's book. I don't know man... I hope it doesn't tank.

I already watched the spanking episode of Survivor's Remorse (which was amazing) so I think I'm good :p

Spoilers but there wasn't any actual spanking involved.

edit: also blackish is just plain hilarious so people should be watching it anyway.
It was mostly a "My dad 'whooped me', so should I do it to my kids?" existential crisis.

In a way, the show is still about being "Blackish", but it's way toned down from the pilot episode.

Rhaknar

Sounds...horrifying?

the premise was fine, the kids were awful is what I mean, especially the younger male kid. It was also more centered on the kids so maybe thats why. but even the little girl who I thought was funny in previous eps was annoying in this one

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
the premise was fine, the kids were awful is what I mean, especially the younger male kid. It was also more centered on the kids so maybe thats why. but even the little girl who I thought was funny in previous eps was annoying in this one

I see what you mean.

Sober

It was mostly a "My dad 'whooped me', so should I do it to my kids?" existential crisis.

In a way, the show is still about being "Blackish", but it's way toned down from the pilot episode.
Well, it's a family sitcom, so yeah.

It's not always about a matter of being black or whatever, most the show's humour derives from the generational differences and perceptions, esp. w/r/t Anderson's character. It's usually a matter of how his identity is construct vs. watching his children grow up and the differences in how they assemble their identities. Of course, Anderson's character takes a lot from his father (Laurence Fishburne) but still differs vastly from that generation; sometimes it's a matter of "I identify primarily as African-American" vs. his children that don't see it that way, but they generally find the middle ground somewhere. It pretty much permeates the entire show.

Also all the kids in blackish are hilarious, I dunno what Rhaknar is smoking.

TripOpt55

I think I like Black-ish a bit more than Survivor's Remorse, but SR had the superior whooping episode. Also, I was surprised they both included jokes about hot wheels tracks!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lifetime banishes the Witches of East End to cancellation.

Enver can't ever catch a break. :/ Shows he's on always end after the second seasons or so it seems. (Outside of the Walking Dead which was a bit part) I think he's the new Summer Glau. :/

Lindsay looks like the oldest one in the group. Rachel McAdams hasn't aged a day.

Meth is a hell of a drug. Hehhehheh?

Wow at Mysteries of Laura. It combines the older skewing nature and maturity of Harry's Law with the fluff and tenderness of a summer USA show. Bravo.

- Deadline: ‘Downton Abbey’ Renewed For Sixth Season

- Wed numbers from TVbtN:
On ABC, The 48th Annual CMA Awards earned a 4.5 adults 18-49 rating. Last year's awards show earned a 4.7 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, Survivor earned a 2.3, up from last week's 2.2 adults 18-49 rating. Criminal Minds scored a series low 2.1, down two tenths from last week's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating. Stalker garnered a 1.5, down a tenth from last week's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating.

On NBC, The Mysteries of Laura, matched last week's 1.2 adults 18-49 rating. Law And Order: SVU was even with its last original's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating. Chicago PD earned a series low 1.3, down two tenths from its last original's 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On FOX, Red Band Society returned to a 0.9, down a tenth from its last original's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Hell's Kitchen earned a 1.3 adults 18-49 rating, up from its last originals 1.2 adults 18-49 rating.

On The CW, Arrow matched last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. The 100 earned a 0.6, up a tenth from last week's 0.5 adults 18-49 rating.

Saty

Can we talk about how come the business of TV Shows works the way it does when it comes to picking up a series to air? Because i don't understand why networks are picking up season orders or bunch of episodes based only on the pilot.

It's like they are willingly making a decision to assess the series on the least amount of data\content there can be. You give creators all the time in the world to write and film the pilot so it gets maximum attention, it's been worked on the hardest for the longest -- you are bound to get something decent by the end which doesn't reflect the level of content that creator can produce 'for real' in the week-by-week , ep-by-ep schedule of a TV series. 'Suddenly' you see the content produced isn't that great, resources usage not good, no consistency or clear direction for the entire season.

It's like the 'Sophomore year' issue where artists had all the time to hone their first project before they released it and now that there are deadline they can't re-capture what make the first attempt good.

Get them to make 3 episodes and then assess if you're going pick up the show and give it full season. You spend more at the beginning but you lessen the chance of having duds in prime times and having to reschedule or fill holes. Spend more at the start so you spend less later on and you have a better chance to have shows that stick because you've seen how that project handles itself making 3eps in a timeframe rather than work their ass off on the pilot that in the end doesn't reflect what that team can produce in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom