• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

Can we talk about how come the business of TV Shows works the way it does when it comes to picking up a series to air? Because i don't understand why networks are picking up season orders or bunch of episodes based only on the pilot.

It's like they are willingly making a decision to assess the series on the least amount of data\content there can be. You give creators all the time in the world to write and film the pilot so it gets maximum attention, it's been worked on the hardest for the longest -- you are bound to get something decent by the end which doesn't reflect the level of content that creator can produce 'for real' in the week-by-week , ep-by-ep schedule of a TV series. 'Suddenly' you see the content produced isn't that great, resources usage not good, no consistency or clear direction for the entire season.

It's like the 'Sophomore year' issue where artists had all the time to hone their first project before they released it and now that there are deadline they can't re-capture what make the first attempt good.

Get them to make 3 episodes and then assess if you're going pick up the show and give it full season. You spend more at the beginning but you lessen the chance of having duds in prime times and having to reschedule or fill holes. Spend more at the start so you spend less later on and you have a better chance to have shows that stick because you've seen how that project handles itself making 3eps in a timeframe rather than work their ass off on the pilot that in the end doesn't reflect what that team can produce in the regular season.
Ivysaur will explain it better but
- It is expensive to fund more than one episode in advance. Let's say half the shows you order a pilot, you get an actual show.
- They don't get full season orders from the get-go unless the show will clearly dominate the ratings. They often get a 13 episode order, after which the network can ask more scripts.
- They work more on a weekly basis. By the time you have seen the first three episode they'll have written like 3-4 more and have filmed 1-2. So by the time they get a full season pick-up, they actually know how good the team is at handling week to week writing and how the audience is reacting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, it's a family sitcom, so yeah.

It's not always about a matter of being black or whatever, most the show's humour derives from the generational differences and perceptions, esp. w/r/t Anderson's character. It's usually a matter of how his identity is construct vs. watching his children grow up and the differences in how they assemble their identities. Of course, Anderson's character takes a lot from his father (Laurence Fishburne) but still differs vastly from that generation; sometimes it's a matter of "I identify primarily as African-American" vs. his children that don't see it that way, but they generally find the middle ground somewhere. It pretty much permeates the entire show.

Also all the kids in blackish are hilarious, I dunno what Rhaknar is smoking.

I cannot begin to state how wrong the bold statement is.

The show itself has really started to grow on me. It's great. The youngest daughter, though? Terrible. One of those Raven Symone-style "sassy kid who thinks she knows more than the adults" characters who grates on your nerves every second she is on the screen.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I think I like Black-ish a bit more than Survivor's Remorse, but SR had the superior whooping episode. Also, I was surprised they both included jokes about hot wheels tracks!
All my black friends when I was a kid got hit with hot wheels tracks. My dad kept it simple and used his belt while my mom used whatever was close to her (wooden spoon, shoes, etc).

beat

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...utions-on-benched-and-not-sweating-the-future

But from time to time, I hear people say — and I hear myself guiltily feel — that there's no point in getting attached to something until you're confident it won't be canceled, and I think that feeling needs to be turned back. Don't not watch a great show because it might not be around for a long time. Among other things, that creates a vicious cycle in which the kind of things that fight to find audiences are guaranteed to never find them. A longshot becomes a no-shot, precisely because people were sad that it was a longshot, and that's not quite ... logical. Part of me believes firmly that if everyone who would have really enjoyed these shows had been willing to try them, they would have lasted longer, and that stings.

Tamanon

Banned
Fox is in a weird place right now

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/06/fox-revives-are-you-smarter-than-a-5th-grader/324831/

FOX is bringing back the popular and critically praised quiz show ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER? for another season on FOX. Executive-produced by Mark Burnett, the show features comedian Jeff Foxworthy, who returns as host.

“ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5th GRADER? shares so much DNA with the FOX brand that it feels only natural to return it to the schedule – it’s smart, witty, irreverent and it turns the adult/child power dynamic upside-down,” said Simon Andreae, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, Fox Broadcasting Company. “All of the core components of the classic format will be there, but we are also adding new twists that make it fresher and more fun for viewers.”

“I have loved this competition from our first show and the timing couldn't be better for 5th GRADER to return to FOX, as there is nothing like it on television,” added Burnett. “Kids today are smarter than ever and the adults who try to take them on will have an even harder task ahead of them.”

Sober

tvbtn comments are the best worst.

The show is horrible because of the Lead actor I hate the "British" accent, i wish it was played by an American Male Lead. If they change the lead actor and reboot the series I think it would be better.
You can guess which show they're talking about. Rhymes with Schmonstantine.

My apologies to almost everyone else involved, but I am happy when a Goyer project bombs!
because fuck people's livelihoods, i'm typing this from my parent's basement btw, at 2 pm in the afternoon

When a network decides not to order a back order on a show's original 13 episodes, the show is in fact cancelled
i am a tv expert, because i post in the comments section, also my uncle is a tv network executive at nintendo

YOU SEE NBC????!!! YOU HAVE KILLED ABOUT A BOY BY NOT PUTTING IT ON AFTER THE VOICE!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FROM PUTTING ON COMEDIES SINCE ALL OF THEM HAVE BOMBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
tvbtn comments are the best worst.

YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FROM PUTTING ON COMEDIES SINCE ALL OF THEM HAVE BOMBED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did he lie tho
bBKC5YS.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? is whatever, but I'm still waiting for Are You Smarter Than a Half-Term Governor.

A fifteen second camera pan over an applauding audience, lights descend. The host (let's go with Ryan Reynolds, he's definitely looking for work right now) steps into view.

"Yes"

*roll credits*

anaron

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...utions-on-benched-and-not-sweating-the-future

But from time to time, I hear people say — and I hear myself guiltily feel — that there's no point in getting attached to something until you're confident it won't be canceled, and I think that feeling needs to be turned back. Don't not watch a great show because it might not be around for a long time. Among other things, that creates a vicious cycle in which the kind of things that fight to find audiences are guaranteed to never find them. A longshot becomes a no-shot, precisely because people were sad that it was a longshot, and that's not quite ... logical. Part of me believes firmly that if everyone who would have really enjoyed these shows had been willing to try them, they would have lasted longer, and that stings.

qDe1iqz.gif

Bring back Prison Break

I actually think that this would work in an American Horror Story kind of way. Different cast each year, different reason why so-and-so needs to escape, yadda yadda... tight 10-13 episode seasons.

I thought the 1st season of PB was good, but then things went all to hell because they tried to drag it on and on.

I actually think that this would work in an American Horror Story kind of way. Different cast each year, different reason why so-and-so needs to escape, yadda yadda... tight 10-13 episode seasons.

I thought the 1st season of PB was good, but then things went all to hell because they tried to drag it on and on.

The first 13 episodes were fantastic because it was planned as a limited run, 13 episode show. Remember how they were breaking out of prison and then suddenly theres a massive pipe in the way? Yeah, thats Fox extending the show for another 9 episodes and the writers going "fuck".

By season 4....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxeq_IwIp48

It was comedy gold.

There was supposed to be a spin-off at a female prison.

....which just reminded me that "The War at Home" was a good show.

- Thursday numbers from TVbtN:
NOTE CBS was preempted in Cleveland and NBC was preempted in Cincinnati for Thursday Night Football coverage. Ratings for both networks are likely inflated as a result.

On ABC, Grey's Anatomy earned a 2.4, down a tenth from its last original's 2.5 adults 18-49 rating. Scandal earned a 2.9, down two tenths from last week's 3.1 adults 18-49 rating. How to Get Away With Murder earned a 2.8, up a tenth from last week's 2.7 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, The Big Bang Theory earned a 4.2, up a tenth from last week's season low 4.1 adults 18-49 rating. Mom earned a 2.6, up a tenth from last week's 2.5 adults 18-49 rating. Two and Half Men scored a 2.3, down a tenth from last week's 2.4 adults 18-49 rating. The McCarthys matched last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Elementary earned a 1.4, up two tenths from last week's series low 1.2 adults 18-49 rating.

On NBC, The Biggest Loser earned a 1.3, up two tenths from last week's series low 1.1 adults 18-49 rating. Bad Judge garnered a 1.1, up two tenths from last week's 0.9 adults 18-49 rating. A to Z scored a 1.0, up three tenths from last week's 0.7 adults 18-49 rating. Parenthood earned a 1.4, up from last week's series low.

On FOX, Bones matched last week's 1.3 adults 18-49 rating. Gracepoint earned a 0.7, down a tenth from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating.

On the CW, The Vampire Diaries earned a 0.7, down a tenth from last week's 0.8 adults 18-49 rating. Reign earned a 0.4, down a tenth from last week's 0.5 adults 18-49 rating.

G0523

I kinda liked Selfie after the past few episodes, but then again I also liked Suburgatory so that's probably why.

I hope Emily Kapnek has another show to go. Because ABC cancelled Suburgatory for Selfie. Now it just looks like a huge mistake.

mm04

I actually liked Selfie. That being said, I wasn't sure how long they could continue on with the will they/won't they since it's obvious they belonged together at some point. I hope they actually finish the order of 13 and wrap it up, but that's probably unlikely. I've never watched any shows that featured Karen Gillan in the cast and I've discovered I like her a lot. I've always enjoyed John Cho's work too. Oh well, bummer.

beat

Kapnek is great. Deserves another shot somewhere.

For me, her shows so far have been a weird blend of great and terrible. I guess that's better than just being bland and mediocre, but I really wish she could rein in her worst impulses.

TripOpt55

Selfie was really growing into something quite good. David Harewood who I'd only really known from Homeland was crazy funny on this. His delivery was amazing. And Karen Gillan was great (never seen her in anything before). I'm not exactly mourning the loss of the show but it was pretty fun.

Sober

I actually liked Selfie. That being said, I wasn't sure how long they could continue on with the will they/won't they since it's obvious they belonged together at some point. I hope they actually finish the order of 13 and wrap it up, but that's probably unlikely. I've never watched any shows that featured Karen Gillan in the cast and I've discovered I like her a lot. I've always enjoyed John Cho's work too. Oh well, bummer.
The weekend retreat episode was really good, because there was just the one line and no subplots and the side characters really were just there for Cho and Gillan to rip off of. I actually don't know if Cho/Gillan actually have chemistry but they sell it convincingly for the most part, even if they don't.

For me, her shows so far have been a weird blend of great and terrible. I guess that's better than just being bland and mediocre, but I really wish she could rein in her worst impulses.
Eh, she has a particular style so I don't think certain parts of it (even that I don't really like) probably won't go away in whatever else she's working on. But I feel like Selfie's focus was never really on the side cast anyway unlike Suburgatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom