• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Had been expecting the cancellation of Selfie, but I really liked that show.

Shame they gave it that name though, it's kind of what I don't like about Jane The Virgin, the name make the shows sound like they're of a sub-par quality, while the shows behind them are much much better.

Sober

The thing is that the pilot of Selife is a kinda crappy representation of the show because let's face it, pilots gonna pilot. Eventually the show does show that both leads are both kind of socially awkward in their own different ways (more than it just being a quirk of Gillan's character), rather than being a straight up My Fair Lady thing.

beat

Eh, she has a particular style so I don't think certain parts of it (even that I don't really like) probably won't go away in whatever else she's working on. But I feel like Selfie's focus was never really on the side cast anyway unlike Suburgatory.
There's "style" and then there's "making references as if those were sufficient as jokes".

mreddie

Why? Selfie's ratings were terrible. Putting it out of its misery was the right call.

No, I was expecting Selfie to last long and Forever to be canned. Hopefully, Gillian and Cho can land on better shows.

Hell on Wheels getting one last season is good, it's really underrated but glad AMC was still behind it.

anaron

Never watched Selfie (I'm sorry) but I liked Suburgatory a lot. I do think Kapnek's shows have a problem in being a consistent quality and never reaching their full potential.

That being said, Lisa Shay is still one of the best sitcom characters ever.

Valhelm

contribute something
Had been expecting the cancellation of Selfie, but I really liked that show.

Shame they gave it that name though, it's kind of what I don't like about Jane The Virgin, the name make the shows sound like they're of a sub-par quality, while the shows behind them are much much better.

Jane the Virgin is great. I've seen a handful of people online assume it was some sort of "MTV high school drama" because of the name.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Good thing I came and read the title

Just cleaned up my DVR, got back roughly 35% of it back from deleting all the shows that just got cancelled

I liked Bad Judge =/, oh wells
Never gave A to Z a shot, was gonna binge watch it, but that saves me time
Same goes for Selfie, had watched 2 episodes, up to the wedding one, was recording for a weekend run, not any more

Gonna keep this thread subbed, so I can delete shows that get cancelled on my DVR

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The thing is that the pilot of Selife is a kinda crappy representation of the show because let's face it, pilots gonna pilot

That's true, of course, but remember also that there are literally more hours of original television programming on the air than there are hours in the day, and most of us also sleep, work, and occasionally even socialize--so at some point you need a triage mechanism to figure out what you're going to watch and what you aren't. Even if you exclude reality TV and just get back to scripted, you still couldn't watch everything on the air if you watched TV from 5PM to 1AM every day of the week (you'd be close if you just watched major networks).

It's difficult for me to frown on people who give up after 1 episode of something when most people watch 1 fewer than that before giving up on most shows.

Also, I think pilots gonna pilot in predictable ways. Awkward "my father the king" background information dumps. Setting up teases for the rest of the season and resolving almost nothing. Relatively sparse backup characters. But you expect something, somewhere at the core to work.

So for me the question isn't "does Selfie make itself into something decent", it's "Do I have time for another comedy after I've finished watching Brooklyn Nine Nine, Marry Me, Bob's Burgers, Jane the Virgin, A to Z, The Mindy Project, About a Boy, Black-ish, Saturday Night Live, Craig Ferguson, Conan, Key and Peele, The League, Last Week Tonight, and then shows that are currently off-cycle like Veep, Workaholics, Louie, Kroll Show, Nathan for You, Inside Amy Schumer, It's Always Sunny, Episodes, Broad City, Parks and Rec, Maron, and being subjected to New Girl and Modern Family against my will?" and I sort of feel like the answer to that should probably be no, and I definitely wouldn't substitute any of those shows for Selfie. Even after writing this it occurs to me that there are several other comedy shows I watch. Ugh.

Someone should make a thread about whether or not there's too much good stuff on TV at any given time to watch it all.

Sober

Certainly, Stump, it's a tough spot. Presumably Kapnek conceived of and wrote Selfie's pilot on her own, but between greenlighting it, shooting it, getting it ordered for series, she probably missed something that got rectified while they were planning out their season order (which in all honesty the show does do). So I'm frankly not sure when exactly the rest of the series moved away from the tone set in the pilot, but I'd like to know if the show was originally conceived of to be as it stands now or when her writers came in they convinced her to retool it, basically.

The pilot itself was rather week because even up until I watched like 2 episodes/weeks into it I was pretty much expecting Cho's character to basically be mansplaining things to Gillan's character. Let's face it, the job a pilot is supposed to do is to set everything up but I feel like the setup that was in the Selfie pilot was too literal (oh, Henry needs to take Eliza under his wing to help her be a better rounded person) when in fact the whole crux of the show is "they are both awkward people but they help make up for each other", none of which really seems to show up in the pilot.

GraveRobberX

My DVR Recording set up this way:

Sunday:
60Minutes
America's Funniest Videos
Simpsons
Bob's Burger
Family Guy
Mulaney (I don't watch this piece of shit show, I just record 1 hour extra due to NFL overlap that happens often)
HBO 9PM Show
HBO 10PM Show
Last Week with JohnOliver
Showtime 9PM show repeat
Showtime 10PM show repeat

Monday:
TMZ
2 Broke Grls
We're The Millers
Gotham

Tuesday:
TMZ
Master Chef Junior
About a Boy
Marry Me
Forever
Maybe 30/30 or E60 if it's good on ESPN

Wednesday:
TMZ
Survivor
The Goldbergs
Modern Family
blackish
Top Chef Boston

Thursday:
TMZ
Big Bang Theory
GracePoint
ParentHood

Friday:
TMZ
Amazing Race
Last Man Standing
Cristela
Real Time with Bill Maher
10PM Cinemax Show (when it's on)

Saturday:
Survivor's Remorse and w/e Starz show comes here next (The Missing is next)
Saturday Night Live

Removed A to Z, Bad Judge, Manhattan Love Story, Selfie due to being cancelled

I'm genuinely heartbroken about Selfie's cancellation - against my better judgement I got so invested in this cute show! :(

Now the only question remains: how many episodes have they finished shooting and how many will get chance to be aired? I'm hoping against hope that they'll be able to give the story some kind of conclusion and we'll actually get to see it. Damn it, I need my happy ending, is it too much to ask?!

Sent

Selfie should have 13. Will we see all of those on TV? Beats me.

gfSOJAv.gif

Dice//

Banned
Man, sad to see Selfie go (certainly the "it word" title didn't help on top of a lackluster pilot). I really hope they do the 13 at least; there was real potential here for a lot of fun.

jwk94

Never watched Selfie (I'm sorry) but I liked Suburgatory a lot. I do think Kapnek's shows have a problem in being a consistent quality and never reaching their full potential.

That being said, Lisa Shay is still one of the best sitcom characters ever.

Suburgatory didn't deserve to get cancelled! =(

Grizzo

Man all these new comedies are dropping like flies.

At least Marry Me seems to be doing okay. Good thing, because that's the best of the bunch.

Grizzo

Quote tags weren't working, but no sweat Grizzo, I fixed them for you. :)

Haha oh but I did! I only watched the pilot though, so I thought maybe it was not enough to give it the "best new sitcom of the season" award :)

I'll watch other episodes from it and I'll tell you how I liked them, but what I've seen so far was good. I heard it's doing pretty good so I'm glad not all new comedies are failing at least.

maxcriden

Haha oh but I did! I only watched the pilot though, so I thought maybe it was not enough to give it the best new sitcom of the season award :)

I'll watch other episodes from it and I'll tell you how I liked them, but what I've seen so far was good. I heard it's doing pretty good so I'm glad not all new comedies are failing at least.

Oh, in that case I agree. The pilot for Marry Me I enjoyed more than the pilot for black-ish. All subsequent episodes of black-ish have been superbly hilarious to me though, whereas I haven't been as impressed with Marry Me.

Grizzo

Oh, in that case I agree. The pilot for Marry Me I enjoyed more than the pilot for black-ish. All subsequent episodes of black-ish have been superbly hilarious to me though, whereas I haven't been as impressed with Marry Me.

I'm a sucker for Casey Wilson, so I guess that must play a big part in how I feel :D

Sunday at 9pm is a mess. I have DirecTV and I need to move things around. Good Wife, Newsroom, TWD, Resurrection, some sort of Beverly Hills wife thing my wife watches, Homeland.

It's all 9pm on Sunday. I have no idea how people with Time Warner who can only DVR two things handle it.

GraveRobberX

Sunday at 9pm is a mess. I have DirecTV and I need to move things around. Good Wife, Newsroom, TWD, Resurrection, some sort of Beverly Hills wife thing my wife watches, Homeland.

It's all 9pm on Sunday. I have no idea how people with Time Warner who can only DVR two things handle it.

I switched to FiOS, fought it to get it on block by getting all landlords to sign up
Good thing is Verizon has the West channels offerings also, so it's good to have

So if a HBO + Showtime + Basic Channel show need to be recorded @9PM

I can move the recording of HBO/Showtime to 12AM EST which will be premiering on the west coast

Works out really well for me
Also the have the Quantum offer, where for $10/month bigger DVR + 12 shows recorded at once
Meaning all Broadcast + 2 Cable/Premium at the same time

Grizzo

Don't forget The Comeback at 10pm.

...I'm mostly mentioning it because I really want this to do alright. It's so funny. It's kind of a miracle HBO gave it a second shot.

Selfie should have 13. Will we see all of those on TV? Beats me.

gfSOJAv.gif

Fuck.

I'm legit annoyed they canceled it. I really, really liked it. Gillen and Cho had great chemistry and it was very sweet.

I went shopping to cure my depression but it didn't help. #fuckmylifeandyouABC

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Cancelled network shows of the 2014-2015 season (so far):

Manhattan Love Story (ABC)
A to Z (NBC)
Bad Judge (NBC)
Utopia (FOX)
Selfie (ABC)

Final seasons:

Glee (Fox)
Two and a Half Men (CBS)
The Mentalist (CBS)
Parenthood (NBC)
Parks and Recreation (NBC)

Cancelled before the show premiered:

Hieroglyph (Fox)
Emerald City (NBC)
Mission Control (NBC)

I'm getting tired of these split "seasons". It's not one season, it's two 7 episode seasons.

Which is exactly why AMC does it. They get two seasons for the price of one.

Nearly everything I watch is Hulu or on demand. Once in a while I miss rewind during live sports, but not enough to pay $65 a year.
I watch a ton of hockey and football. If there's a way to get those without needing either Directv or Time Warner then I'll join you in Hulu/Amazon Prime /on demand land.

Anyone? Kinda curious about this one.....I want to like it, and want it to have a chance, but it isn't as great as it could be and is struggling with ratings.

It's getting better with each episode but the fate remains to be seen. Grimm similarly had a slow start on NBC but was given a chance and eventually found steady ground. Constantine suffers from most people not being familiar with the Comic, so I imagine many were expecting something more along the lines of the Keanu movie. It also has what I like to call the Warhammer Problem of another product being based on it becoming more well known first. In this case, Supernatural has taken a lot of influence from the Hellblazer comics and has been on the air for 10 years.. so a lot of people keep making comparisons to that.

Kaladin

It's getting better with each episode but the fate remains to be seen. Grimm similarly had a slow start on NBC but was given a chance and eventually found steady ground. Constantine suffers from most people not being familiar with the Comic, so I imagine many were expecting something more along the lines of the Keanu movie. It also has what I like to call the Warhammer Problem of another product being based on it becoming more well known first. In this case, Supernatural has taken a lot of influence from the Hellblazer comics and has been on the air for 10 years.. so a lot of people keep making comparisons to that.

I had two main issues with the show. A) It felt like the pilot was heavily edited to fit in an hour. Like maybe they had filmed a 2 hour episode and were given one. B) The story feels like it drops you in the middle and starts off running. That's good for somethings, but with something like Constantine, I would have wanted more of an introduction. I think they banked on people knowing the character a lot too, which as you said most won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom