• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

addik

Damn, it sucks that Selfie might not even air all its 13 episodes. I was actually fine with it not being renewed after the first season, since it looks like it's one of those shows that would be better with a tight one-season storyline, but having it cut to 13 without knowing if all episodes would air just sucks.

It's even worse to know that this was one of the shows I was interested at because of the unconventional pairing (John Cho and Karen Gilliam), plus it actually got good after the pilot. (The pilot was meh though, so it's all on them)

G0523

Is Gracepoint 100% definitely going to be canceled? I really really like that show.
Yes it is. But if you really like it then consider watching its UK counterpart Broadchurch. That show got renewed for a second season if it makes you feel any better.

EDIT: Beaten by a minute. Lol.

Kaladin

Yes it is. But if you really like it then consider watching its UK counterpart Broadchurch. That show got renewed for a second season if it makes you feel any better.

After watching the American version though, it's hard to go back to the super heavy Scottish accents.

Also, when I watched the pilot, I totally forgot it was actually David Tennant because of how well he turned off his accent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe AMC is giving this the split final season treatment. It's becoming as ubiquitous as final books in a series being made into two movies.

It makes a ton of sense - Hell on Wheels is a reliably solid performer and AMC is, honestly, lucky to have it when most/all of their new Sunday shows can't even get half the ratings Hell on Wheels gets on a Saturday. Naturally, they want to keep it on the air for as long as possible, but renewing it past season 5 would mean paying salary increases to everyone involved. This way, they can get two more seasons for the price of one!

It's actually pretty devious and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if other channels started to follow suit (*coughStarzcough*).

Sober

ABC does this too I think. I know OUAT has specifically 2 half-seasons and they break from winter holidays until March or something.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
Anson Mount in his AMA on reddit a few months ago didn't sound particularly enthused about a split season order:

I hope for a full 6. AMC has started doing these 16 ep orders that they split into 2 years. I don't like this idea as I don't think we can tell the rest of this in just 16, and I don't like the idea of being held in contract when I'm not actually working.

ivysaur12

Banned
what does this mean ivy

It means that they're in first position on Hell on Wheels and can't take any more jobs until Hell on Wheels is completed with production.

However, I'm assuming they're just going to film all 14 at once (because the whole point of this is to lower costs in a completely manufactured way) so they're free to do things once they finish with production on the 14. So I don't know what he means by not being free to do other things.

I believe that Under the Dome actually premiered before Breaking Bad Season 5 pt 2, and Dean Norris shot Breaking Bad Season 5 pt 2 before he shot Under the Dome.

ABC does this too I think. I know OUAT has specifically 2 half-seasons and they break from winter holidays until March or something.

That's a bit different. They film all 22 and premiere them over the regular season, but instead of taking random weeks off to make up for production time, they truncate their seasons. It's supposed to encourage viewing for serialized shows or something.

Joni

That's a bit different. They film all 22 and premiere them over the regular season, but instead of taking random weeks off to make up for production time, they truncate their seasons. It's supposed to encourage viewing for serialized shows or something.
Yeah, it means less viewer loss over the season, it allows for better story planning and they can more easily plan shows between the breaks. So good ABC thought of that. For instance, watching Grey's last year was a way better experience than watching SHIELD. I know I would have my dose of Grey's each week.

Sober

Don't know why ABC moved OUAT Wonderland up beside OUAT when it was originally planned to run inbetween the half season gap. That plus I don't think people wanted to see new characters without the old flagship cast, plus the format change in Wonderland probably put some people off.

mreddie

Don't know why ABC moved OUAT Wonderland up beside OUAT when it was originally planned to run inbetween the half season gap. That plus I don't think people wanted to see new characters without the old flagship cast, plus the format change in Wonderland probably put some people off.

Didn't ABC said they messed up doing that?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I actually like how ABC does it with Scandal (I think they do this with some of their other dramas, but I don't watch them, so I don't know. Well, Nashville, but they don't do it on that show. I hope/think they're doing it with SHIELD this year) - where they basically write one 22 episode season as two mini seasons. Scandal season 2.B felt like a completely separate season from 2.A, etc.

It honestly makes each season a lot easier to follow and more fun to binge too.

It means that they're in first position on Hell on Wheels and can't take any more jobs until Hell on Wheels is completed with production.

However, I'm assuming they're just going to film all 14 at once (because the whole point of this is to lower costs in a completely manufactured way) so they're free to do things once they finish with production on the 14. So I don't know what he means by not being free to do other things.

That's the part that confused me. Even if they did film each season half separately like they did with Breaking Bad, I don't see how/why that would work any differently than if they had just ordered two separate seasons.

Hello Ladies apparently will have a movie airing on the 22nd or something to wrap up the series.

Yep, lookin forward to it!

Dice//

Banned
Anyone else thing TV execs really need to find a better way to making online watching a bigger thing? I think shows targetting high schoolers or, more specifically, 20-somethings are usually in danger since this group is harder to get sitting down.

I wonder if any of these shows cancelled would have benefitted from college-aged kids with computers (and maybe not TVs) who can watch a show anytime than 8PM on a Thursday night.

Or am I simplifying things way too much?

Yeah, it means less viewer loss over the season

Eh, SHIELD's irregular scheduling probably didn't help ratings, but proving it hurt them is harder - the S1 ratings basically plateaued beginning in December, and the scheduling didn't get really weird until January. The regular schedule hasn't demonstrably helped S2 retain the season premiere audience, either.

Joni

After watching the American version though, it's hard to go back to the super heavy Scottish accents.

Also, when I watched the pilot, I totally forgot it was actually David Tennant because of how well he turned off his accent.

David Tennant is the only one with a Scottish accent in Broadchurch, everyone else has [mostly southern] English accents.

I actually like how ABC does it with Scandal (I think they do this with some of their other dramas, but I don't watch them, so I don't know. Well, Nashville, but they don't do it on that show. I hope/think they're doing it with SHIELD this year) - where they basically write one 22 episode season as two mini seasons. Scandal season 2.B felt like a completely separate season from 2.A, etc.
All serialized shows with large episode orders should be done this way IMO. It helps tremendously.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there any consensus on what new shows will get the axe or renewed or is it still too early?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
is there any consensus on what new shows will get the axe or renewed or is it still too early?

There are some standouts for renewal thus far - The Flash, How to Get Away with Murder, Black-ish, Gotham and NCIS: New Orleans.

A lot of the no-brainer cancellations have already been made and I think it's too early to say one way or the other for some of the others that aren't doing very well.

Sober

2 more episodes of Transparent to go. Wow, this show is something else. Literally forgot to do anything else and decided to watch it all instead.

Aiii

So not worth it
And here I thought The Affair was a one-season-all-done story. Unless they go Anthology, I don't see how you could go another season...

Really enjoying that show though, also still enjoying Homeland for what it is, so I'm okay with both renewals.

Nice to see Showtime supporting The Affair. I must say that Showtime's drama lineup is leagues ahead of HBO's right now.

Yep. Glad to see both shows coming back. Showtime has a really great lineup of dramas now with these two, Penny Dreadful, Masters of Sex and Shameless.

HBO can't even get dramas on the air.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aww, that's too bad. I liked that show. Just caught up on the last 2 episodes last night (part of the problem...?) and they both got genuine laughs out of me.
So considering Disney has a pretty good relationship with Netflix, what's the likelyhood Netflix would save a show like this?

Why would Netflix save it? What does Netflix have to gain here? Is Selfie a popular show? Seems to me like a significant chunk of those who initially sampled the show left and did not come back. And very few people sampled it to begin with, which suggests that the premise wasn't that appealing. Is this likely to be a cult show? To age well? To consistently get rewatched? Is there a serial hook people are invested in and would pay to get closure on?

I don't really see the case for Netflix rescuing it, unless the case is "Someone who likes a show doesn't want it to be cancelled and so just asks if DirecTV, TBS, TNT, Netflix, Hulu, Yahoo, MySpace, NeoGAF.com, or other outlets will save the show just because it's a good show".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom