• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

Sucks about The Millers. I thought it was an alright show that wasn't just horrible and crude sex jokes for 30 minutes like a few of the Chuck Lorre comedies have devolved into.

Cancellation Bear @TheCancelBear

The fact that #TheMillers was canceled isn’t nearly as interesting as *why*, maybe the TV media will surprise the bear and find out

Aka "Please let there be a behind the scenes reason for this so I don't look like a complete fucking idiot"

The fact that #TheMillers was canceled isn’t nearly as interesting as *why*, maybe the TV media will surprise the bear and find out

Aka "Please let there be a behind the scenes reason for this so I don't look like a complete fucking idiot"
Exactly. They look like fools right now.

Memles

To be fair, the Bear has always been pretty upfront about the fact that there are always wrenches that get thrown into the system. In this case, I'm guessing the costs were high cast-wise, and their read on the syndication market/creative trajectory/cast morale of the thing meant the writing was on the wall. But the Bear doesn't know any of that, and doesn't care to know any of it, and he's content with that (hence his clear efforts to distinguish between his work and that of the "TV media").

The difference in this case was the aggressive claims to syndication—itself a "new" metric for the Bear, something he had failed to work into his decision-making before he got embarrassed by it—saving the show. It doesn't invalidate the Bear's overall philosophy, but it embarrasses him for his posturing at the very least. I'll take it.

This surprises the shit outta me.

agents of shield cancellation confirmed

tumblr_inline_nbd9mraCXi1ssk4rv.gif

Don't even joke about that motherfucker

For the record, I'm also shocked that The Millers got the axe this early. But my problem with TVBTN and the Bear isn't the prediction itself, it's how arrogantly the prediction was communicated.

Will ABC renew Castle? I know it's doing ok rating wise, but i dropped it at season 5 and heard it's not getting better. I'm interested in it, because i want Nathan Fillion to do something new. So if ABC cancels Castle, or if Fillion leaves because his contract is up, which is unlikely, it means he'll do something new.

CBS has bona fide hits in Scorpion and NCIS: Scott Bakula's Tokyo Drift in New Orleans. I think you are going to see, very unfortunately, the cancellations of Person of Knterest and Elementary.

Constantine down to a 0.8. So it's basically doing Dracula numbers, without the benefit of the reduced cost of being a co-production.

Yeah... I don't think Constantine will last long. I dropped it after the 3rd episode. It's not great IMO. Maybe i'm just so used to Keanu Reeves's Version.

Oh well at least it means JB Smoove will be back on Real Husbands of Hollywood.

Constantine is enjoyable, but its the weakest of all the DC shows.

agents of shield cancellation confirmed

Fun fact: the last episode of SHIELD pulled the same rating as the last episode of The Millers (1.5).

I doubt it's in imminent danger just yet - the Marvel synergy, DVR ratings, and predominantly male audience on a predominantly female-oriented network all probably give it some cushion - but how much further can ABC allow it to drop?

Penguin

Fun fact: the last episode of SHIELD pulled the same rating as the last episode of The Millers (1.5).

I doubt it's in imminent danger just yet - the Marvel synergy, DVR ratings, and predominantly male audience on a predominantly female-oriented network all probably give it some cushion - but how much further can ABC allow it to drop?

They'll keep it on the air until 2018 to build to that inhumans crossover...

But I'm curious to see what happens with Agent Carter, if it proves to be a better performer, do they drop SHIELD for it or do they keep bundling them together

They'll keep it on the air until 2018 to build to that inhumans crossover...

But I'm curious to see what happens with Agent Carter, if it proves to be a better performer, do they drop SHIELD for it or do they keep bundling them together

Why would they drop SHIELD for Agent Carter in any circumstance?

Wasn't Dracula initially gonna be renewed but some behind the scenes shenanigans ensued? I remember word coming that a renewal was imminent and then it got canceled.

Because SHIELD doesn't perform well, and if Agent Carter does... why not keep the show that does?

I mean I'm just speaking in hypothetical

I mean, they can cancel SHIELD for whatever reason.. but I don't see why it would be looked at as one over the other.

What I'm saying is, SHIELD getting cancelled should be because SHIELD isn't doing well. Agent Carter doing well or not should have no influence on SHIELD staying or going.

I don't see much chance that Agent Carter gets better ratings than SHIELD. It's just too closely associated with the SHIELD "brand," as it were, to draw a significantly different, let alone larger, audience.

Penguin

I mean, they can cancel SHIELD for whatever reason.. but I don't see why it would be looked at as one over the other.

What I'm saying is, SHIELD getting cancelled should be because SHIELD isn't doing well. Agent Carter doing well or not should have no influence on SHIELD staying or going.

Oh I guess my thinking was they occupy the same place this season

(Tues at 9pm)

But yeah, not worth the comparison especially now.

ivysaur12

Banned
How is TVBTN tone self righteous?

There are very few certainties in television. Their model assumes many things that make no sense.

Take this week: They've moved Marry Me down to likely canceled because it only received 5 more episodes instead of 9. Not receiving 22 episodes isnt great, but there's no reason to assume that, at this point, that signals something in May. If the show was in fact headed towards imminent cancellation, it wouldn't have received any back order. It would've been canceled.

That's one of those things where you look at it and go ??????????, but their tone is certain that they are correct, even though they're trying to understand variables (human behavior in scheduling) that they cannot. They also have the worst clickbait headlines.

It's a really cynical website that doesn't understand the data and industry it's supposed to be creating a predictive model for.

EDIT: another example: on their recent ABC guesses, he insinuates that because Selfie was canceled and Galavant is doing back to back episodes, Cristela must be getting canceled so Fresh Off the Boat can go there. Besides the fact that it would be insane for ABC to launch FOB on Fridays, that's not how scheduling works.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
As much as it isn't Happy Endings, I want Marry Me to succeed because I think it's the only comedy on network TV I'm interested in right now. Everything else is mostly IFC/Comedy Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom