• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
For anyone who hasn't seen The Missing yet (BBC One in UK - starts tonight on Starz in the US) I thoroughly recommend it.

It revolves around the story of a Dad searching for his son who went missing six years earlier whilst their family were on holiday in France.

Eight part series all told. I'm three episodes in and it's easily the best new show of the Autumn season for me. Well acted, with a great script thusfar and the direction is such that it gives just enough tantalising hints at deeper stories yet to be uncovered - allowing the viewer to speculate whilst not giving the whole game away. Exactly what I want from a mystery drama.

Plus, episode 3 had one of the best
chase sequences
I've ever seen on TV.

tl;dr? Think original Broadchurch meets The Bridge but done by the BBC so you know it's quality. It's so good so far that I fully expect Fox will be making a word for word remake in three years time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For anyone who hasn't seen The Missing yet (BBC One in UK - starts tonight on Starz in the US) I thoroughly recommend it.

Sounds good, but I'm a bit wary of these sorts of shows. I'll probably check it out once the whole thing has aired, provided it's still well received at that point.

Oddduck

Constantine down to a 0.8. So it's basically doing Dracula numbers, without the benefit of the reduced cost of being a co-production.

Yeah I can't see this show getting past the first season.

Which is a shame because it has a lot of potential.

NBC always felt like the wrong network for it. It should have been on something like AMC, Showtime, HBO, or Netflix.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

NBC always felt like the wrong network for it. It should have been on something like AMC, Showtime, HBO, or Netflix.

maybe CW picks it up to carry on the Supernatural torch next year >_>

Sober

What's this about Elementary / POI being at risk of cancellation? Fuck that!
LOL @ certain people. POI isn't going to probably break SSS-tier television but it is extremely well put together and almost always entertaining and has plenty going for it. At the very least it shares a tier with probably The Good Wife.

The only problem is it is impossible to catch up on, which may explain a small amount of why no one is picking it up, especially a show in its fourth season. The only options at the moment are buying the box sets (who does this without having watched the show?) or buying the season passes on amazon/itunes/etc or bumming an ultraviolet code from someone who bought a box set. It's not coming to Netflix until next year in the fall, so people will have a bunch of catching up to do.

So basically, if I asked you to watch POI because I said it is a fantastic show, it has great pacing of serial elements while using procedural formulas, great characters and a well-realized and deep mythology ... these are all true, but it has a few things working against it: 1) It's on CBS, and most people associate CBS with TBBT, CSI and NCIS spinoffs backed by boring cop dramas and don't associate them with anything beyond low-tier quality television (which is wrong in many ways but ...) and 2) It's not on Netflix.

So if it's not on Netflix and it's a not cable show (i.e. not a "prestige drama"), why would I even bother trying? Especially for a show four seasons in? I don't want to spend like 30-50$ on the first season pass and hate it 3-5 episodes into it.

It's almost certainly going to get a fifth season. Who knows if it'll get its 7 season plan the showrunners talked about but a fifth is almost certain at this point I would think. I really don't know where the scaremongering came from anyway.

Grimm has been working out ok and it's a show in the same genre. NBC really needs something to couple with Grimm as well. Constantine's ratings really have more to do with the comic having been so... I'll say *inspiring* for Supernatural already and it's going through new show growing pains. If it gets a chance to find it's footing, it could end up drawing in more of Grimm's audience and be ok. How willing NBC is to wait for that is the question.

Sober

Meanwhile, on TVBTN's comments section ... let's talk about The Millers' cancellation, why don't we? Some choice terrible comments:

Like i said, ratings & ad ca$h do count very much! Now wait for Elementary to be banished to summer or Saturdays.
But this is a truly awful comedy it pained to watch despite the likable all star cast.

Why didn't cancel The McMarthys already?
Next Friday.

Did anyone actually like this show?
I would say enough people to fill a van.

The others were 350-pound 55 year old people too lazy to switch the channel after TBBT.
Because CBS is stupid. They give full seasons to drsmas they don't own that will be axed by May yet cancel ones they do.

Same with ABC and Forever. Also owned by WB.
What a twist!
When is Under the Dome coming back on? I love that show.
What's the point of filming one more episode? That's gotta be a sad set to be on.
I read that they didn't have to film this last episode but the actors on the show wanted to do it so the crew would still be paid.
Read where? Sounds like PR fluff.
From Variety:
Postscript: A shout-out is due to the team at “The Millers” — particularly stars Arnett, Martindale and Bridges — who got the bad news on Friday but opted to go ahead with Tuesday’s scheduled taping so the crew could get paid. The series regulars would have been assured their paychecks regardless, but not the below-the-line folks. That’s a classy exit.
Oh so nice. Now they get three more days of pay. That'll save their lives LOL. All of the crew will move on to another show just like the crew from Bad Judge, A to Z etc. What a farce.
Good. Finally some justice.

I would've posted what basically amounts to TVBTN comments poster "Dan" basically circling the wagons for people telling him how wrong he was for predicting this would be renewed/Forever not getting a back order, amongst other things. But it was way too much, and unhealthy.

Memles

Elementary is not getting canceled.

Yeah, the problem with The Millers was that they were betting on future syndication profits; Elementary already sold, so it's money in the bank such that it'll be shuffled to Friday (a la Hawaii Five-0) before it's ever canceled.

Elementary is not getting canceled.

5VwyIHw.gif

Linius

Gnome, not dwarf.

Wasn't sure about the exact translation myself so I looked it up before I posted. Turns out there's not one exact word in the English language for the word kabouter. The use of dwarf, gnome, pixie and hobgoblin would all be correct.

The word gnome can also be literally translated to gnoom in Dutch by the way. And a groom and a kabouter are also two different things. So it's quite confusing actually.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah I saw that hah. I also like that fact he says "I'm not wrong, the networks are just stupid".

That whole website has become a carnival of stupid as ratings have been depressed and marginal revenue streams (that we don't have access to) have become more important.

Yes, there isn't a huge difference between a 1.5 and a 1.9 -- a .4 difference is something that The Big Bang Theory could fluctuate between week to week. But the fact is that 2 Broke Girls is a show in its fourth year at 8pm with no lead against The Voice and Monday Night Football that's holding relatively well on its own, especially compared to other CBS comedies. It's shown some strength as an anchor for a night, albeit not nearly as well as How I Met Your Mother or The Big Bang Theory.

Not to mention that 2 Broke Girls has a very lucrative syndication deal that will cause Warner to do all it can to have CBS make as many episodes of 2 Broke Girls as possible. It's also a reliable show for CBS because Mom probably couldn't anchor a night at this point, and they need something reliable like 2 Broke Girls (Mike & Molly probably couldn't do that).

Plus, I think The Millers got one of the lowest DVR lifts of any scripted show on broadcast television while 2 Broke Girls does relatively well for a comedy. Same with Forever -- its C3s and C7s are actually better than expected just because its so heavily DVR'ed, making its marginal revenue stream for ABC better than expected from just looking at the L+SD ratings. Hence, the back 9.

adg1034

If POI is a lock, then all I care about is The Good Wife getting renewed. That's at least pretty close to a lock, right?

It's a prestige drama that wins tons of awards, Les Moonves loves it, and the next season is supposed to be its last, narratively speaking. Alicia isn't going anywhere.

That whole website has become a carnival of stupid as ratings have been depressed and marginal revenue streams (that we don't have access to) have become more important.

Yes, there isn't a huge difference between a 1.5 and a 1.9 -- a .4 difference is something that The Big Bang Theory could fluctuate between week to week. But the fact is that 2 Broke Girls is a show in its fourth year at 8pm with no lead against The Voice and Monday Night Football that's holding relatively well on its own, especially compared to other CBS comedies. It's shown some strength as an anchor for a night, albeit not nearly as well as How I Met Your Mother or The Big Bang Theory.

Not to mention that 2 Broke Girls has a very lucrative syndication deal that will cause Warner to do all it can to have CBS make as many episodes of 2 Broke Girls as possible. It's also a reliable show for CBS because Mom probably couldn't anchor a night at this point, and they need something reliable like 2 Broke Girls (Mike & Molly probably couldn't do that).

Plus, I think The Millers got one of the lowest DVR lifts of any scripted show on broadcast television while 2 Broke Girls does relatively well for a comedy. Same with Forever -- its C3s and C7s are actually better than expected just because its so heavily DVR'ed, making its marginal revenue stream for ABC better than expected from just looking at the L+SD ratings. Hence, the back 9.

I wonder how much you could be making by having your own website called TV From the Inside.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fun fact: I also hate Nielsen numbers because they make me uncomfortably anxious and I have no passion for it. Knowing them is a necessary evil.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
maybe CW picks it up to carry on the Supernatural torch next year >_>

Supernatural's finally ending?

Maybe now I can binge watch it from start to finish while dreamy-sighing over Jensen Ackles over the years. *wistful music*

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Supernatural's finally ending?

Maybe now I can binge watch it from start to finish while dreamy-sighing over Jensen Ackles over the years. *wistful music*

Ive been under the assumption that the current season (10th) is the last. I might be wrong, I usually am :p

also, Ivy isnt a mod... I could sware Ivy was a mod. My brain doesnt work anymore :(

Terrell

I think that we have a Will & Grace curse on our hands. Debra Messing and Sean Heyes just can't catch a break. Heyes especially appears to be ratings poison.

Pachimari

Is there a chance Constantine will get a full season?

I'm no expert with the cancellation stuff but can it be at risk at just being cancelled and end in the middle of a season?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ive been under the assumption that the current season (10th) is the last. I might be wrong, I usually am :p

I see nothing about it being a final season. Knowing the CW/WB/UPN/whatever they're calling themselves now, they'll probably renew it. :p

also, Ivy isnt a mod... I could sware Ivy was a mod. My brain doesnt work anymore :(

He never was, bae.

The two leads love working on the show and they love their crew. They have said in the past they'll keep doing it as long as The CW wants to renew. So who knows how long it'll run. Could end this year or it could go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom