• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep

Had no idea it was made by Warner. Guess it will probably be shutting down then.

I still have to wonder about where Hulu ratings come into thought process. As said on previous pages, a lot of these younger skewing shows seem to underperform in ratings and overperform in digital. I think Hulu is still sitting at under 7 million subs, though.

Not to be crass, but there's very little chance that Constantine will get a second season, and at this point I'd be surprised to see it get a back order of any kind (though it's possible, I suppose).

NBC was actually expecting the show to generate ratings traction -- that's what every network does when they order a show to air. Obviously not at the way in which a show on Monday through Thursday might do, but Constantine has really underperformed even on a Friday night at 10. Couple that with lukewarm critical response and the fact that they have a show waiting in the wings that will do as well and cost maybe an eighth of what Constantine costs (Hannibal) means that it's not long for this world.

And to make matters worse, it's a show owned by Warner, not Universal.

Stop saying things, my soul is on fire.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Can someone cancel Bebe Neuwirth's hair on Madam Secretary? I'm enjoying this show. I'm loving seeing all of these stage actors in one place. But that hair. I can't.

I believe Dule is on Broadway.
He was. I don't think he is currently though. After Midnight closed this past summer.

ivysaur12

Banned
James Roday has been doing some films actually. No sure what Dule is up to.

There's still a chance though! I wouldn't want the shows fate to be sealed by people abandoning it because they think cancellation is a forgone conclusion. It has been improving in quality with each episode.

I don't think someone on GAF has that power :p

beat

the fact that they have a show waiting in the wings that will do as well and cost maybe an eighth of what Constantine costs (Hannibal) means that it's not long for this world.
Yeah, but Hannibal is by design a 13 episode a season series, so NBC needs something else for the fall half of the season.

TheOddOne

At the end of the world it'll be the cockroaches and Supernatural.
I'm fine with this.

B2rIUiGCEAA6H-H.jpg

Nah, it looks bad.

After White Collar is done in the next three weeks (? Or four, forgetting how many episodes have aired of it's "last" season/6 episode run) USA only has:

Suits (Which is great)
Necessary Roughness (which was cancelled IIRC?)
Graceland (which I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop if next season/3 is stupid as this past one)
Covert Affairs (which I dropped after season 3 but apparently it got a MAJOR tonal shift)

going for it. Of which I only watch about 3. Everything else on the network I watched either ended (Burn Notice/"Psych"/White Collar/Monk) or got cancelled (Psych).

Don't they have that show about rich married people cheating, the show about the rich doctor who lives on the edge and the light hearted show about EMTs? Or did they cancel all of those?

I didn't watch any of them but since I watch Graceland and White Collar I've seen the ads.

ivysaur12

Banned
Yeah, but Hannibal is by design a 13 episode a season series, so NBC needs something else for the fall half of the season.

It's a 52 week year -- Hannibal could premiere in the late spring, like its first season. You could conceivably do 22 episodes of Constantine that goes right into 13 episodes of Hannibal and keep the lights on at all times on Fridays at 10 with minimal repeats. But that won't happen.

beat

Speaking of Hannibal (and also Welcome to Sweden, I guess), how likely is it that American broadcast TV will get into more international co-productions to lower its up-front costs?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Emmy Award Winning Actress Katherine Heigl's State of Affairs premieres tomorrow on NBC.

Predictions? (thanks AngmarKing for reminding me)

Sober

Holy crap guys, I got to see an advance screening of the season 2 premiere of 19-2. Dunno if many of you guys watch Canadian series. It's basically the English adaptation of the Quebecois series of the same name.

I think someone posted an article back in last year's thread, but they did get the same director who shot that episode, because it basically starts with a 13 minute long take of first responders in the middle of a school shooting. I remember someone on GAF posted a clip of it somewhere but I could not find one that wasn't taken down.

It was pretty damn intense and it's a ways off from airing in the spring next year but I was impressed by it.

DarkFlow

Banned
Holy crap guys, I got to see an advance screening of the season 2 premiere of 19-2. Dunno if many of you guys watch Canadian series. It's basically the English adaptation of the Quebecois series of the same name.

I think someone posted an article back in last year's thread, but they did get the same director who shot that episode, because it basically starts with a 13 minute long take of first responders in the middle of a school shooting. I remember someone on GAF posted a clip of it somewhere but I could not find one that wasn't taken down.

It was pretty damn intense and it's a ways off from airing in the spring next year but I was impressed by it.

I had no idea what this show was, So I goggled it. Canadian police show? Do they go around for a hour politely telling people not to do that, Then apologizing about it after?

Sober

I had no idea what this show was, So I goggled it. Canadian police show? Do they go around for a hour politely telling people not to do that, Then apologizing about it after?
It's a character drama about first responders. So there is no crime solving element, it's mostly about the beat cops having to deal with shit they see during their shift, dealing with police politics using them as pawns and just the different colleagues not getting along all the time.

It's more of a cable show (f-bombs, some but very little nudity, etc.). It's actually really an interesting watch.

Again, their s2 premiere is pretty much 30 of 42 minutes of the characters in the midst of a school shooting, trying to chase down the shooter. It's really hard to watch at times, super tense as hell, and again, that damn 13 minute long single take is worth seeing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Satisfaction (renewed), Rush (cancelled), Sirens (renewed).

None of which looked good or worth watching. (I say this as someone watching Graceland, I know)

Come at me, Dennis Leary. I don't need Rescue Me but With More Humor 2.0.

(There's also Royal Pains which seems good but I don't watch it because well... I don't really like the casting choices.)

USA's fallen off hard since Burn Notice left. :/ Suits is about the only "modern" thing from them that I really enjoy. AMC's in the same spot. Once Mad Men goes (if it already hasn't?) the only thing they've got that is a rock solid ratings rocket is the Walking Dead, but that won't last forever. None of their other shows have gained traction since.

Vert boil

waltmiddlefingerw7dft.gif

Glad they didn't mess it up.

DarkFlow

Banned
It's a character drama about first responders. So there is no crime solving element, it's mostly about the beat cops having to deal with shit they see during their shift, dealing with police politics using them as pawns and just the different colleagues not getting along all the time.

It's more of a cable show (f-bombs, some but very little nudity, etc.). It's actually really an interesting watch.

Again, their s2 premiere is pretty much 30 of 42 minutes of the characters in the midst of a school shooting, trying to chase down the shooter. It's really hard to watch at times, super tense as hell, and again, that damn 13 minute long single take is worth seeing.
Huh, sounds interesting I might give a go.

I was surprised at how earnest and raw State of Affairs was. It's not as mature and thoughtful as Madame Secretary though. There were also some awkward bits of Katherine Heigl acting all hip and light hearted. But they are already laying the seeds for a gripping mystery. Not to mention the most realistic and intense depiction of combat I've ever seen.

TheOddOne

I was surprised at how earnest and raw State of Affairs was. It's not as mature and thoughtful as Madame Secretary though. There were also some awkward bits of Katherine Heigl acting all hip and light hearted. But they are already laying the seeds for a gripping mystery. Not to mention the most realistic and intense depiction of combat I've ever seen.
tumblr_mm8n7kwbQx1so450so1_1280.gif

I love you, Rafa.

USA had the best shows several years ago, much better than it's parent company NBC had during the regular season. After White Collar the only one I'll watch will be Covert Affairs, which I almost gave up on, but they did a total shift the storyline and it got interesting again. I gave up on Royal Pains last season, and not sure how much more it has in it. I'm sure it's good, but couldn't get into Suits and Graceland wanted to be a replacement for Burn Notice (it needed to end, talk about a show losing it's direction).

I seem to remember reading on Twitter a week or so ago that Royal Pains got a 2 year extension. That would take it to around season 8 or 9 I think. And Burn Notice got around that many too. Makes me wonder why their other good shows are reaching EOL around season 5 (White Collar, Covert Affairs). I mean, the reason is obviously money, but if they don't have anything good waiting in the wings to replace them, why not keep them on for longer?

Also a bit confused why they're trying to make Graceland happen. It was barely okay in it's first season and downright terrible in it's second. Still renewed for it's third.

19-2 is sooo fucking good. Season One was great.

Patryn

USA is probably seeing they can make the same money on NCIS/Modern Family/Law & Order reruns without making new shows.

Didn't Modern Family kind of burn them? They thought it was going to be the massive success that Big Bang Theory was for TBS, but it ended up only doing alright. It makes them money, but not as much as they thought.

Hystzen

just let constantine die in a fire, unless they somehow make it not a lame copy of Supernatural

Supernatural as much I love it bases a lot of its lore and stuff from Constantine. It's why I feel sorry for show it has to show how different Keanu Reeves version was then it has to fight supernatural it had no chance honestly

Joni

I seem to remember reading on Twitter a week or so ago that Royal Pains got a 2 year extension. That would take it to around season 8 or 9 I think. And Burn Notice got around that many too. Makes me wonder why their other good shows are reaching EOL around season 5 (White Collar, Covert Affairs). I mean, the reason is obviously money, but if they don't have anything good waiting in the wings to replace them, why not keep them on for longer?

Also a bit confused why they're trying to make Graceland happen. It was barely okay in it's first season and downright terrible in it's second. Still renewed for it's third.

The players behind it might not want to continue.

- TVbtN w/ the Monday numbers
Note: ABC was preempted in Nashville and Pittsburgh, so current ratings are likely inflated and subject to change.

On NBC, The Voice earned a 3.0, down two tenths from last week's 3.2 adults 18-49 rating. The series premiere of State of Affairs scored a 2.2, down from last week's fall finale of The Blacklist which earned a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Dancing with the Stars garnered a 2.4, up from last week's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. Castle earned a 2.0, up from last week's 1.6 adults 18-49 rating

On FOX, Gotham scored a 2.3, up a tenth from last week's 2.2 adults 18-49 rating. Sleepy Hollow matched last week's series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, 2 Broke Girls garnered a 2.1, up two tenths from last week's series low 1.9 adults 18-49 rating. Recently cancelled The Millers matched last week's series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating. Scorpion matched last week's 2.0 adults 18-49 rating. NCIS: Los Angeles earned a 1.7, up two tenths from last week’s series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On The CW The Originals matched last week's 0.7 adults 18-49 rating. Jane the Virgin earned a 0.4, down a tenth from last week's 0.5 adults 18-49 rating.

Sober

19-2 is sooo fucking good. Season One was great.
The showrunner was also at the premiere event and told us that the premiere is the only episode that will be an adaptation of the french canadian one, after that, they go mostly in a different direction. I'm trying to recall what differences there were but I think there might be one or two differences in the tracking shot alone that are vastly different specifically for the English version's characters and throughout the episode there are also a few minor changes or additions, some that the director also wanted to get in but the French network (Radio-Canada) didn't let them do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom