• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm about 15 minutes in to State of Affairs, and I hate Heigl's character. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this.

I'm about 15 minutes in to State of Affairs, and I hate Heigl's character. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this.
She evolves throughout the pilot. They start of with her being insufferable followed by some more lighthearted moments with colleagues. Which is the facade? I don't know but it made her more relatable and I think she has the average citizens best interest at heart and that makes me comfortable.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What was the last UK remake to be successful?

House of Cards?

Getting On

creatively, anyway

She evolves throughout the pilot. They start of with her being insufferable followed by some more lighthearted moments with colleagues. Which is the facade? I don't know but it made her more relatable and I think she has the average citizens best interest at heart and that makes me comfortable.

rafa pls youre killing me hea

maxcriden

_f21a8e1a23.gif

Rafa pls, I'm starting to think your love for Star-Crossed was just a ruse ;__;

anaron

Lmao

Malvingt2

Is The 100 good good or CW good (ala Arrow and Flash)?

Good Good. A very entertaining show right out the bat. You are going to counter some chessy things here and there "CW" but man the characters are just great and nobody is safe. Clarke is just an amazing protagonist. Season 2 opens the door to bigger scale of the world and more "groups" The show excited me.

It's... similar to Arrow in that it takes a bit to hit it's stride but when it does, it doesn't stop. I'm hesitant to say it's "good good" because it's still got the CW tropes.. but I feel like there's less general cheesiness than Arrow and Flash once it gets going. It has less bad lines in particular (I can't recall any from my Netflix viewing).

I'll tell you right off the bat that it takes about 3-4 episodes to hit it's stride though.

Malvingt2

It's... similar to Arrow in that it takes a bit to hit it's stride but when it does, it doesn't stop. I'm hesitant to say it's "good good" because it's still got the CW tropes.. but I feel like there's less general cheesiness than Arrow and Flash once it gets going. It has less bad lines in particular (I can't recall any from my Netflix viewing).

I'll tell you right off the bat that it takes about 3-4 episodes to hit it's stride though.

rRGl8Pw.gif

never forget.

TripOpt55

I think The 100 is definitely the best show right now on The CW. I'm not sure I'd say it was legitimately great TV until this season which is really top-notch stuff. I might be forgetting something, but it might be my favorite drama this Fall so far other than The Good Wife.

ivysaur12

Banned
I actually find The 100 to be pretty silly. I was sort of keeping up with it, but this season already confirmed my suspicion that it's rudderless and without direction, or a direction that makes sense.

It falls into a genre trap of incident for incident's sake and there havent been any underlying character motivations I've found particularly compelling or interesting. And they mythology has a kitchen-sink-maybe-this-will-work feel to it.

But people really like it. So, your mileage may vary.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's good good. Takes a handful of not-so-great episodes to get there though.

Good Good. A very entertaining show right out the bat. You are going to counter some chessy things here and there "CW" but man the characters are just great and nobody is safe. Clarke is just an amazing protagonist. Season 2 opens the door to bigger scale of the world and more "groups" The show excited me.

And Ratsky it's waaaaaay better written than Arrow so check it out if you're worried about that similarity. (Start with last 3 eps of S1)

I think The 100 is definitely the best show right now on The CW. I'm not sure I'd say it was legitimately great TV until this season which is really top-notch stuff. I might be forgetting something, but it might be my favorite drama this Fall so far other than The Good Wife.

The pilot is very CW, then it continues into good good land.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll try to check it out when I have some more free time. *sigh* like I needed one more show to watch XP

Ratsky - let's just say that The 100 is better than it needs to be.

oh my god

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm sure this will work out perfectly. Yup.

Nielsen plans to start measuring SVOD services next month for the first time, The Wall Street Journal reports, citing Nielsen client document. Nielsen meters can measure viewership without the OK from Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like — by analyzing a program’s audio components to identify which shows are being streamed. Netflix and Amazon did not comment. The news follows grumbling from content owners that there’s no way to measure consumption of their properties online. The new idea doesn’t address that issue, according to the WSJ, and Nielsen has been slow to count to the increasing viewership on mobile and tablets.

anaron

I actually find The 100 to be pretty silly. I was sort of keeping up with it, but this season already confirmed my suspicion that it's rudderless and without direction, or a direction that makes sense.

It falls into a genre trap of incident for incident's sake and there havent been any underlying character motivations I've found particularly compelling or interesting. And they mythology has a kitchen-sink-maybe-this-will-work feel to it.

I like the show a lot but I can't entirely disagree with this. Lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait The 100 is good? I've been boycotting it for stealing my Zoe away from Person of Interest :(

not really but I havent watched it, guess I need to fix that

Bit late but I'll go against the consensus and say that it's definitely a CW good show. I don't think anyone would seriously pit it against the good shows of cable or even good network TV. They've hit on a few interesting themes (post apocalyptic survival, Lord of the Flies, tribal warfare) and they do make it work reasonably well, but it's still very much a CW show. Love triangles, teen drama... it's all there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Bit late but I'll go against the consensus and say that it's definitely a CW good show. I don't think anyone would seriously pit it against the good shows of cable or even good network TV. They've hit on a few interesting themes (post apocalyptic survival, Lord of the Flies, tribal warfare) and they do make it work reasonably well, but it's still very much a CW show. Love triangles, teen drama... it's all there.

Thanks for tempering my expectations a bit. I think I'll still give it a whirl though (but not right yet, especially with the Lilyhammer -> Marco Polo -> Mozart in the Jungle VoD Original Combo-Wombo right around the corner).

I seem to remember reading on Twitter a week or so ago that Royal Pains got a 2 year extension. That would take it to around season 8 or 9 I think. And Burn Notice got around that many too. Makes me wonder why their other good shows are reaching EOL around season 5 (White Collar, Covert Affairs). I mean, the reason is obviously money, but if they don't have anything good waiting in the wings to replace them, why not keep them on for longer?

Also a bit confused why they're trying to make Graceland happen. It was barely okay in it's first season and downright terrible in it's second. Still renewed for it's third.

I never got into Covert Affairs but White Collar has just run out of steam. There's really nowhere else to go with it.

Supernatural as much I love it bases a lot of its lore and stuff from Constantine. It's why I feel sorry for show it has to show how different Keanu Reeves version was then it has to fight supernatural it had no chance honestly

I never watched Supernatural but the new Constantine looked interesting to me. I just keep forgetting to record it.

Sober

That's a fair assessment but personally I'll wait until the whole season is out to see if that happens. I do agree the second season's pace slowed down for the past few weeks, hopefully they don't make the same mistake as Orphan Black. I don't know if it feels directionless and more that they clearly got the chance to expand the world and might've gotten lost a bit in the setup.

ivysaur12

Banned
That's a fair assessment but personally I'll wait until the whole season is out to see if that happens. I do agree the second season's pace slowed down for the past few weeks, hopefully they don't make the same mistake as Orphan Black. I don't know if it feels directionless and more that they clearly got the chance to expand the world and might've gotten lost a bit in the setup.

I actually have a lot of the same problems I had with the entire second season of Orphan Black. It feels like this problem that a lot of low-rent genre shows have -- and intriguing premise, but either a scope that becomes too large too fast, or the inability to run with that concept over a long period where the show becomes THINGS that HAPPEN to people that aren't grounded in any emotional truth or real motivation. That can either be due to the fact that the idea wouldn't be a good long running series to begin with, or the talent just isn't there. The latter is definitely true of Orphan Black, and I'm start to think that it's true of The 100.

I think it's 4 episodes in this season, but I feel like I'm starting to see the strains -- and usually, I'm not one for logic bumps, but there's enough that's starting to creep up that's troublesome.

I've also never been a huge fan of the show, and some people really love it, so again, mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom