• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so everyone knows, the Spring TV thread is up. That thread is a list of what's premiering when and a directory for GAF OT's. We'll keep on using this one for ratings and tv business discussion until the Summer.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, the TV Pilot thread is here, and that one gets primarily used for development and smaller casting news that isn't threadworthy on its own.

Patryn

Has Amazon yet had any notable original shows? I feel like I hear about them doing a bunch, but none seem to really hit the cultural zeitgeist in the same way that Netflix shows have.

Has Amazon yet had any notable original shows? I feel like I hear about them doing a bunch, but none seem to really hit the cultural zeitgeist in the same way that Netflix shows have.

Transparent got a ton of critical acclaim, was on nearly every EOTY list I saw. It doesn't have the cultural presence of HoC or OITNB but it's a start.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yes, Transparent. Mozart in the Jungle is super flawed, but the last few episodes are very good.

They need a head start and some help for season three because they need to rush it for the fall after mercy killing Homeland.

If only.

Was I the only one that liked season 4 of Homeland? Don't answer that.

I just finished watching Marco Polo and I thought it was pretty good. The fight scenes were surprisingly good in particular and it seems like it has a pretty decent budget. All in all definitely worthy of my time (I put down the phone/tablet/computer to watch it, which I do on very few shows).

I'm thinking renewal is a lock? I'm also thinking it's taking considerable historical licenses, but I don't want to actually look up Polo's history (you know, spoilers).

Edit: Oh and I've also dropped Scorpion. It's just unbearable to watch and I almost never drop a show (I just pay more attention to my tablet), but this one was just too much. Definitely worst show of the season, not Stalker like some of you suggested.

Sober

"Prestige" television feels like a trap to me for casual viewers who only pick up stuff when it enters the zeitgeist. Anything on cable is automatically handed a prestige label simply on existing and it only needs to either keep it or lose it (Dexter comes to mind). The few network shows that "rise to being prestige" also have to earn it, and even then, being on network I feel like any show that dares to be still has a few mental hurdles to clear from the audience.

I also don't watch prestige shows for the sake of saying I watch prestige shows. I'll usually give up on it if it doesn't keep me interested. Granted, they can be more intelligent but then again I also watch "trash" TV like Arrow/Flash/etc. that I'm sure most people scoff at.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think of prestige TV as its own genre with its own trappings. It's sort of like Oscar Bait, and how every single adult drama is now Oscar Bait and can't just tell an interesting story. It's like how I hated The Theory of Everything (though the lead's performance was fine), but it'll still get nominated for awards over much more competent films that are more enjoyable but aren't Oscar Bait.

The Newsroom is literally poop on a stick, but is more likely to get nominated for awards over much better shows, like Rectify or Hannibal.

beat

The Newsroom is literally poop on a stick, but is more likely to get nominated for awards over much better shows, like Rectify or Hannibal.
Actually, why ISN'T Hannibal "prestige TV"? Because it's on broadcast? Because the source material is (essentially) pulpy? Not enough fancy dialogue runs?

ivysaur12

Banned
Actually, why ISN'T Hannibal "prestige TV"? Because it's on broadcast? Because the source material is (essentially) pulpy? Not enough fancy dialogue runs?

It's too stylized, it's on broadcast TV, it's about a subject matter that isn't particularly pleasant… and it just never caught on with the right critics. Remember, the average voting age of an Emmy or Oscar voter is waaaaaaaaay old.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Newsroom isn't poop on a stick, it's a poignant reminder of the time that America was poop on a stick and a call to return to that point in time.

Now, watch me randomly take out my guitar for a musical finish.

beat

It's too stylized, it's on broadcast TV, it's about a subject matter that isn't particularly pleasant… and it just never caught on with the right critics. Remember, the average voting age of an Emmy or Oscar voter is waaaaaaaaay old.

Too stylized? Vs GOT or Mad Men?

edit: I can buy the other reasons, though.

Sober

Hannibal takes heightened realism and sucker punches it in the face, compared to Mad Men, yes.

I don't think "verisimilitude" is really in Hannibal's dictionary ever.

Ashok

Banned
"Prestige" television feels like a trap to me for casual viewers who only pick up stuff when it enters the zeitgeist. Anything on cable is automatically handed a prestige label simply on existing and it only needs to either keep it or lose it (Dexter comes to mind). The few network shows that "rise to being prestige" also have to earn it, and even then, being on network I feel like any show that dares to be still has a few mental hurdles to clear from the audience.

I also don't watch prestige shows for the sake of saying I watch prestige shows. I'll usually give up on it if it doesn't keep me interested. Granted, they can be more intelligent but then again I also watch "trash" TV like Arrow/Flash/etc. that I'm sure most people scoff at.

I don't even know what "prestige TV" even means except some dude with an expensive cable bill thinks favorite show is better than your favorite show. All I know is Hannibal is my favorite show on TV right now, and I'm really looking forward to David Duchovny's new Aquarius drama on broadcast.

Raxus

I forgot just how much better Spring TV is compared to the Fall.

Justified, Archer, The Americans. And that is just FX!

- Monday numbers from Showbuzzdaily
ABC: NBC counterprogrammed the season premiere of THE BACHELOR (last year it didn’t even try, airing BLACKLIST reruns that night), and it had an effect: BACHELOR lost half a point with a 2.2 start, its lowest ever. (Note: this year’s premiere was 3 hours long, compared to 2 hours in the past.)

FOX: GOTHAM returned from its hiatus up 0.2 from its fall finale to a solid 2.5, making it the night’s highest rated show. SLEEPY HOLLOW gained 0.1 to 1.6.

NBC: As noted, the network programmed the night aggressively with a special edition of CELEBRITY APPRENTICE, down just 0.2 from Sunday to 2.1. However, STATE OF AFFAIRS’s coffin went a bit deeper into the ground as it was unable to hold even half its lead-in, tying its low 1.0.

CBS: Every show on the network’s line-up gained from its last 2014 episode. 2 BROKE GIRLS was up 0.3 to 2.4, MIKE & MOLLY grew by 0.4 to 2.2, SCORPION rose 0.4 to 2.4, and NCIS: LA increased 0.3 to 1.9.

CW: The only network still on its holiday break ran a pair of 0.3 reruns.

ABC will hope to go 2-for-2 on its hiatus shows with tonight’s premiere of AGENT CARTER, which will face fresh competition except from CW and in NBC’s 8PM hour (which will set up next week’s return of PARKS & RECREATION by airing a pair of reruns).

Also just in case anybody wanted to know, Galavant premiered well.
ShowbuzzDaily said:
ABC: GALAVANT did a capable job of filling in for ONCE UPON A TIME with a 2.0 rating that remained steady through the hour (dipping to 1.9 in the second half-hour). It rose nicely from the 1.3 for its AMERICA’S FUNNIEST HOME VIDEOS lead-in. After that, though, things went downhill fast, as RESURRECTION could only half its lead-in, with the same 1.0 it scored with its last new episode, and REVENGE dropped 0.3 to a new low 0.9.

So Resurrection isn't doing as well as it did when it was new? Is it a good show?

Also I wouldn't trust Chris Carter to do anything good. Rob Bowman, Vince Gilligan and others were responsible for the best of the X-Files.

So Resurrection isn't doing as well as it did when it was new? Is it a good show?

Also I wouldn't trust Chris Carter to do anything good. Rob Bowman, Vince Gilligan and others were responsible for the best of the X-Files.

It's ABC's slightly less stupid Under the Dome. They should've kept it a spring/summer show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Sounds like Netflix will probably renew Marco Polo:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/01/06/netflix-2015-lineup/21308665/

Not all original series have resonated. Critics slammed the costly Marco Polo, released in December, as more Kung Fu than historical drama, though Sarandos says viewership is strong: "I've never seen a bigger disparity between user reviews and critic reviews," he says, defending the series. "We want to have both, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick fans."

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will premiere March 6th, Bloodline will premiere March 20th.

Daredevil TBD spring, Grace & Frankie TBD spring, Orange TBD summer, Sense8 TBD fall/winter, Narcos TBD fall/winter.

TripOpt55

Sounds like Netflix will probably renew Marco Polo:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/01/06/netflix-2015-lineup/21308665/

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt will premiere March 6th, Bloodline will premiere March 20th.

Daredevil TBD spring, Grace & Frankie TBD spring, Orange TBD summer, Sense8 TBD fall/winter, Narcos TBD fall/winter.

I still need to finish Marco Polo. Didn't love it but I seemed to enjoy it more than critics. Super excited for both Kimmy Schmidt and Bloodline. March should be a good month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom