• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
But like for real what did they do on Extant? It Malia is my PA fuck no I'm asking her to get coffee or groceries.
On the other hand, it'd be fun to be able to say you made the president's daughter go on runs for you.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If anyone is aware of any cool sounding/exciting/interesting upcoming foreign series that are premiering early next year, drama or comedy, shoot me a pm!

beat

Was Matador any good? Simply by virtue of being the last cancelation before everyone took time off for the holidays, it's been the thread title holder for weeks. =P

Was Matador any good? Simply by virtue of being the last cancelation before everyone took time off for the holidays, it's been the thread title holder for weeks. =P
It was pretty good. It was a unique combination of 90's Saturday afternoon action shows and today's cable dramas. Big mistake by Rodriguez to cancel it...

Busty

Banned
In what might be the most obvious GAF 'scoop' ever, unless it has already been announced and I missed it, I hear that Showtime have already renewed Penny Dreadful for a third season before the second one has even premiered.

Apparently John Logan is already putting together his writers room for season three.

Do we think Malia is comedy or drama?

I bet drama.

I hear Malia is better with structure while her sister is better with dialogue.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
- Adalian for NY Mag: What We Watched in 2014: A Deep Dive Into the Year’s TV RatingsMuch more information via the link.

TFA/#13 said:
Broadcast and cable nets are increasingly pushing viewers to catch their shows through video-on-demand platforms, mostly because VOD usually includes commercials you can’t skip (and Nielsen now counts VOD replays as part of its ratings).

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW people actually watch VoD with ads!? I thought the whole point of DVR/VOD was to avoid ads!?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
In what might be the most obvious GAF 'scoop' ever, unless it has already been announced and I missed it, I hear that Showtime have already renewed Penny Dreadful for a third season before the second one has even premiered.

Apparently John Logan is already putting together his writers room for season three.

kool!

ivysaur12

Banned

I hear Malia is better with structure while her sister is better with dialogue.

Did season 2 have a room?

Dan

They need a head start and some help for season three because they need to rush it for the fall after mercy killing Homeland.

If only.

Zoe

Well White Collar ended yesterday. And seeing as how the Covert Affairs season finale was made as a series finale, I guess that's probably coming to an end too. I have to admit, I'm going to miss the blue sky shows they've seemingly given up on.

I just caught up with Covert Affairs and was pleasantly surprised. I hope they do get one more season because I'd like to see how Arthur ends up and McQuaid really grew on me. Auggie can stay away for all I care though.

Sober

Did the finale work as a series finale? Any cliffhangers?
I think the AV Club review put it best:

“I Woke Up Like This” doesn’t look like it was even designed as a makeshift finale. But it ends with a sequence that would work well as one, except Eliza’s not the subject. Henry sits there on the side of the skate park with his new skater friends—he was also trying to live up to his junior high self—and they ask him why he never went for Eliza even when he saw her naked. In a montage he remembers all their meaningful moments in Selfie, some major and others filling time—it’s only been 13 episodes after all. Then he says the last words in the series: “Next time, I’ll be ready.”

In the context of a full season of Selfie, it’s another turning point in the romance of Eliza and Henry. In the context of an accidental finale, it’s beautiful and textured and harks back to all the tomorrow endings like Calvin & Hobbes (“Lets go exploring”) and Star Trek: The Next Generation (“I’ll see you out there”).

I would definitely recommend anyone who was interested to watch through it and see for themselves. Episode 9 and 10 were probably the biggest high points. I genuinely liked most of the episodes from 4 or 5 onwards too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I would definitely recommend anyone who was interested to watch through it and see for themselves. Episode 9 and 10 were probably the biggest high points. I genuinely liked most of the episodes from 4 or 5 onwards too.

That's good to hear. I'm glad fans got a decent conclusion.

Whooter

I just caught up with Covert Affairs and was pleasantly surprised. I hope they do get one more season because I'd like to see how Arthur ends up and McQuaid really grew on me. Auggie can stay away for all I care though.

I'm not positive, but I'm fairly certain that was the Series Finale.

Unless someone's looking to pick it up, and I missed the story?

I nominate Selfie for the Firefly Award for 2014.

Seriously.

I could live with the cancellation, really! But only after at least 22 episodes. Not like this.

(I loved this series so damn much T_T)

I really liked this review from TVOverMind too:

Considering the circumstances, “I Woke Up Like This” is a pretty perfect series finale for Selfie, a half-hour that marks the progress of its main characters on their journeys of personal growth, yet also acts as an important turning point in both their lives. It’s easy to see how well this story would operate as a mid-season finale; surprisingly, the same material works even better as the last episode of the show, turning the lighthearted, slapstick-y material in the opening scenes and re-purposing them as important testaments to the internal struggles of personal growth that came to define this promising, unfortunately short-lived series.

(...)

And in the end, that beating heart of Selfie is what made it such a promising series (to call it Enlightened Lite would be an apt description, I think), its recognition that two people can’t be together until they’ve really fixed themselves. It’s an oft-forgotten idea in a genre littered with wishful thinking, under some notion that all it takes is one magic moment to change your life. Change is hard, no matter how well put together or successful someone seems (in fact, that can make self-recognition even harder) – and if anything, Selfie captured that in the context of a romantic comedy, a surprisingly mature observation for a show advertised to be hip, loud and fun. It makes for a beautiful closing moment, with Eliza cutting her hair and putting her glasses back on, and Henry promising to himself that he’ll be ready next time Eliza’s available (now that he has a cast with “NO FEAR” on it); though it may have come dozens of episodes too early for my liking, couldn’t be a more poignant, hopeful ending.

I'm not exaggerating that ep. 10 will probably end up in my Top Ten episodes of the year (or very closely behind), it was that good. And I agree, one shouldn't judge this show until seeing at least up to episode 5 - the jump in quality from pilot is astonishing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is this thread still kicking or is there a new one for the new year?

beat

I caught up with Benched. It started out a little uneven, but it's become really good. I think it's renewal chances aren't great, but check it out anyways, esp if you liked Party Down. I think there's some of the same tone in there.

I caught up with Benched. It started out a little uneven, but it's become really good. I think it's renewal chances aren't great, but check it out anyways, esp if you liked Party Down. I think there's some of the same tone in there.
I actually just bailed on it. Uneven is the right word. Not enough laughs.

Kevin

Man I was super excited for Galavant but the reviews I have been reading peg this show as complete garbage. I'll still give it a try but man it seems like many shows I look forward to these days end up being junk. :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh weird, watching Canadian TV for the first time in ages and I had no idea that there was an adaptation of The Book of Negroes. Has this mini series gotten any press in the US, considering its relatively big name cast?

Dan

Hiroyuki Sanada sure is having a great year.

Japanese directors need to rediscover his phone number. It's been nearly a decade since he's worked on a non-English project. Someone get Kôji Yakusho's agent on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom