• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I will say, the Galavant key art gets exactly why I'll be watching

10686656_1561441927429720_2452507417842144986_n.jpg

if they pair galavant with once, they'll be printing money.

Yeah, so, I'm finally watching Hannibal. Embarrassingly late to the party. I love Bryan Fuller so I really don't know why it took me so long to get around to it.

Just finished the first season.

OH MY FUCK SO GOOD.

What if I told you season 2 is better in every way?

I'd be psyched to get started! (Which I will later this evening.)

Some of the procedural-ish elements initially irked me a bit, but most of them feed into the larger narrative, which is great.

And good god, what a slick production. Those Hannibal culinary scenes are among the most beautiful and horrifying things I've ever seen on television. I made the mistake of eating lunch during that dinner party episode and I really thought I might puke.

Xater

I'd be psyched to get started! (Which I will later this evening.)

Some of the procedural-ish elements initially irked me a bit, but most of them feed into the larger narrative, which is great.

And good god, what a slick production. Those Hannibal culinary scenes are among the most beautiful and horrifying things I've ever seen on television. I made the mistake of eating lunch during that dinner party episode and I really thought I might puke.

It's less procedural in season 2 as well.

rude

Banned
And you'll be lying to him.

Season 2 has its moments, but the first half of it is a drag.
Don't agree whatsoever. Loved Season 2 from start to finish; there's just enough twists and turns and inversions on the killer of the week formula for it to be exciting. I thought the super formulaic nature of season 1 was exhausting though.

saunderez

Don't agree whatsoever. Loved Season 2 from start to finish; there's just enough twists and turns and inversions on the killer of the week formula for it to be exciting. I thought the super formulaic nature of season 1 was exhausting though.
The turning point for me was
Beverley Katz murder. It's pretty slow prior to that apart from a few interesting scenes between Hannibal and Chilton.

Xater

I'm with you. Season 2 was amazing.

- Adalian for NY Mag: What We Watched in 2014: A Deep Dive Into the Year’s TV Ratings
The overarching trend in TV ratings during 2014 was the same as it’s been for several years now: Viewers continue to abandon live-TV viewing in favor of non-linear platforms such as DVRs, streaming networks, and video on demand. A Nielsen study released in early December even quantified the erosion, noting the average American spent about 72 fewer hours enjoying traditional TV this year versus last. And yet a closer look at 2014’s TV ratings underlines we’re still obsessing over plenty of shows, both old and new. Monster hits such as The Walking Dead and American Horror Story became even more popular this year, while broadcast networks proved they could still draw massive crowds via fresh hits such as Gotham and How to Get Away With Murder. As has become our annual tradition here at Vulture, we spent several days diving deep into the year-end Nielsen data to uncover both the year’s big bullet points as well as some of the smaller-yet-fascinating ratings trends for the year. Click though for 14 things we discovered about What We Watched in 2014.

Some housekeeping notes: This story is based on Nielsen data supplied to Vulture by multiple broadcast and cable networks. Except where otherwise noted, figures cited or referenced include both live viewing and viewing that takes place within seven days after a program airs. In most cases, numbers are for first-run broadcasts of shows (i.e., no reruns) and include telecasts through November; network averages are through early December. Rankings include shows that aired at least two episodes in 2014; specials, sports broadcasts, and movies aren't included. All the fun stuff on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu isn’t mentioned because they don't tell us who watches what. Still, everybody watched Transparent, right?
Much more information via the link.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
The turning point for me was
Beverley Katz murder. It's pretty slow prior to that apart from a few interesting scenes between Hannibal and Chilton.
Weren't there only two or three episodes before
she dies
? It happens very early on.

ivysaur12

Banned
Good article, hated that it was a slideshow like Stump, LOLed at the final slide being salty over Enlisted.

Eh, I don't think that's unfair. It was a strong show that had no chance to succeed, and actually did relatively okay the few weeks it was paired with Bones. And the fact that it was getting renewed, and then wasn't once Rice nixed Enlisted and Almost Human. And it's notable how poorly Utopia did compared to the bubbles shows on Fox last season.

Eh, I don't think that's unfair. It was a strong show that had no chance to succeed, and actually did relatively okay the few weeks it was paired with Bones. And the fact that it was getting renewed, and then wasn't once Rice nixed Enlisted and Almost Human. And it's notable how poorly Utopia did compared to the bubbles shows on Fox last season.

Oh yeah, Utopia is always worth laughing about. I mean, doing badly enough this fall on Fox to get pulled? That's damn bad.

ivysaur12

Banned
I get that sometimes critically beloved shows do poorly and people come up with excuses why they should be kept -- lord knows I've done it -- but I'm sure Fox would've been much happier to have had Enlisted and Almost Human on the air this fall instead of Utopia or Red Band Society or Mulaney or etc etc.

I'm not a huge Community fan, but Community would probably be doing better than A to Z or Bad Judge. So, sometimes patience with low rated but beloved shows make sense.

Pretty Little Liars renewed for 2 more seasons? A will be found out before Season 6 finale? Holy shit, that show has been going on for so long. 2.5 more years left of that show.

beat

I get that sometimes critically beloved shows do poorly and people come up with excuses why they should be kept -- lord knows I've done it -- but I'm sure Fox would've been much happier to have had Enlisted and Almost Human on the air this fall instead of Utopia or Red Band Society or Mulaney or etc etc.
Would they really though? And I say this as a HUGE fan of Community, but broadcast networks -- esp Fox landing at 4th place -- need hits, and the best place to clear the schedule seems like it'd be underperforming shows. Seems like it'd be better to take a chance on something new instead of going with the choice that you know is never going to be a hit.

That said, A to Z or Bad Judge were very unlikely to be hits either, even in a best-case scenario where they'd be executing flawlessly.

OTOH, I could see arguments for Mulaney (super funny stand-up doing a multicam), Red Band Society (Glee without music but with that Fault In Our Stars vibe), maybe Utopia (... I got nothing) as potential hits. Enlisted's ceiling would have been "solid performer", maybe fine for a network that wasn't in trouble.

ivysaur12

Banned
Would they really though? And I say this as a HUGE fan of Community, but broadcast networks -- esp Fox landing at 4th place -- need hits, and the best place to clear the schedule seems like it'd be underperforming shows. Seems like it'd be better to take a chance on something new instead of going with the choice that you know is never going to be a hit.

That said, A to Z or Bad Judge were very unlikely to be hits either, even in a best-case scenario where they'd be executing flawlessly.

OTOH, I could see arguments for Mulaney (super funny stand-up doing a multicam), Red Band Society (Glee without music but with that Fault In Our Stars vibe), maybe Utopia (... I got nothing) as potential hits. Enlisted's ceiling would have been "solid performer", maybe fine for a network that wasn't in trouble.

Staying with something critically loved by on the low rated side > Spending millions on new shows. So, great. Not only do you not have something that will do reliably fine like an Almost Human or even meh-but-not-terrible like an Enlisted, you just sunk millions more into wasted resources. The chances of replacing the low rated with something higher rater just don't really happen anymore. It does happen, but it's exceedingly rare.

Community would've done better than A to Z and Bad Judge. And Enlisted would've done better than Mulaney.

beat

Staying with something critically loved by on the low rated side > Spending millions on new shows. So, great. Not only do you not have something that will do reliably fine like an Almost Human or even meh-but-not-terrible like an Enlisted, you just sunk millions more into wasted resources.
Ah. It never occurred to me that development would cost more than keeping an established show running.

Wiktor

Staying with something critically loved by on the low rated side > Spending millions on new shows. So, great. Not only do you not have something that will do reliably fine like an Almost Human or even meh-but-not-terrible like an Enlisted, you just sunk millions more into wasted resources. The chances of replacing the low rated with something higher rater just don't really happen anymore. It does happen, but it's exceedingly rare.

Community would've done better than A to Z and Bad Judge. And Enlisted would've done better than Mulaney.
Wasn;t Almost Human very expensive to produce though? Keeping nicely reviewed show with weak ratings can make sense, but not if it's very expensive to produce. If you're going to be throwing a lot of money into something it must get good ratings. Fox bassicaly replaced AH with Gotham and that has been a very good decision, especially since Almost Human was merely decent show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
- Adalian for NY Mag: What We Watched in 2014: A Deep Dive Into the Year’s TV RatingsMuch more information via the link.

There’s just no sugarcoating it: 2014 will be remembered as an annus horribilis for Fox. Factoring out the big bump it got from the Super Bowl, it lost the most overall audience versus 2013 (-11 percent) and dropped furthest among viewers under 50 (-15 percent) of any of the major networks. The decline of American Idol has been a big factor in Fox’s fade-out, but there’s also trouble elsewhere. Not a single Fox series landed among TV’s top 25 most-watched shows in 2014, and only one of its scripted series (newcomer Gotham) averaged over 10 million viewers.

Bomba. I'm really curious to see if any of their midseason shows catch on.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wasn;t Almost Human very expensive to produce though? Keeping nicely reviewed show with weak ratings can make sense, but not if it's very expensive to produce. If you're going to be throwing a lot of money into something it must get good ratings. Fox bassicaly replaced AH with Gotham and that has been a very good decision, especially since Almost Human was merely decent show.

Well, no. First of all, Almost Human's ratings were necessarily weak -- I'm not surprised by many shows getting canceled, and that show getting canceled was a pretty big red flag.

Second, you're not replacing one thing over another. When Gotham was bought -- well before Almost Human even premiered -- Gotham was going to be a show that got on the schedule. And remember, even when Gotham was picked up, Almost Human was also going to be picked up along with Enlisted. Both shows were going to be on the air in the same season.

From what I've seen of Almost Human, there's nothing about the show that would flag it to me as overly expensive compared to the normal network procedural.

Kevin

Well, no. First of all, Almost Human's ratings were necessarily weak -- I'm not surprised by many shows getting canceled, and that show getting canceled was a pretty big red flag.

Second, you're not replacing one thing over another. When Gotham was bought -- well before Almost Human even premiered -- Gotham was going to be a show that got on the schedule. And remember, even when Gotham was picked up, Almost Human was also going to be picked up along with Enlisted. Both shows were going to be on the air in the same season.

From what I've seen of Almost Human, there's nothing about the show that would flag it to me as overly expensive compared to the normal network procedural.

ivysaur, what's your take on the ratings for The Librarians? Is it doing well enough to get renewed?

Joni

ivysaur, what's your take on the ratings for The Librarians? Is it doing well enough to get renewed?
It is apparantly one of cable's most viewed original scripted shows at the moment, it is also growing and doing numbers on the level of The Last Ship and Falling Skies. Probably coming back next year.

It is apparantly one of cable's most viewed original scripted shows at the moment, it is also growing and doing numbers on the level of The Last Ship and Falling Skies. Probably coming back next year.

It has also got to be super cheap. It's shot in Portland (I assume. I haven't actually checked, but it's set in Portland and the producer's previous show, Leverage, moved to Portland because of the tax rebates), most of the guest stars are from the Vancouver pool, and the special effects are sub Xena level.

Joni

It has also got to be super cheap. It's shot in Portland (I assume. I haven't actually checked, but it's set in Portland and the producer's previous show, Leverage, moved to Portland because of the tax rebates), most of the guest stars are from the Vancouver pool, and the special effects are sub Xena level.

That minotaur must have been a really, really $500 expensive costume.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is actually a general problem in collective choice and preference modelling across economics and the social sciences. Decisions that are of the form "Do I pick X or Y?" are fairly easy for humans, but decisions that are of the form "I have to pick 15 of the following 45 and have varying levels of information about each" are extraordinarily difficult and suffer from a number of cognitive biases. Not least because of the potential of cycles in preferences--something that plagues alternative voting systems as well.

Any chance I can get to talk about politics and television together, I'll take.

ivysaur12

Banned
This is actually a general problem in collective choice and preference modelling across economics and the social sciences. Decisions that are of the form "Do I pick X or Y?" are fairly easy for humans, but decisions that are of the form "I have to pick 15 of the following 45 and have varying levels of information about each" are extraordinarily difficult and suffer from a number of cognitive biases. Not least because of the potential of cycles in preferences--something that plagues alternative voting systems as well.

Any chance I can get to talk about politics and television together, I'll take.

Interesting. Shall read.

Also, I spent last night on east coast time watching Mozart in the Jungle from 11am to 4am. Fair to say, you should watch. The pilot is a fucking mess and the season as a whole is a solid B, but the last 3-4 episodes are really fantastic.

What's the latest on Constantine,

Only current running shows I want to stay around are Constantine and Brooklyn 99.

The other shows like Black Sails, Castle and stuff I have no fear will continue on.

ivysaur12

Banned
First, she interns on Extant. Next?

It is less clear where Obama and his family will go after their time in the White House ends. They own a red-brick, Georgian-style home in Kenwood, a neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. Their oldest daughter, Malia, graduates from high school soon and has been looking at colleges in California.

Are you all ready for Created By Malia Obama?!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the prospect of me teaching malia obama terrifies me.

the prospect of malia obama greenlighting h8r season 2 terrifies me more.

ivysaur12

Banned
the prospect of me teaching malia obama terrifies me.

the prospect of malia obama greenlighting h8r season 2 terrifies me more.

She's the fun one. She's the smart one. The only problem? Their dad's the president!

First Sisters, coming to ABCFamily this fall for 300 episodes and a Christmas special.

But like for real what did they do on Extant? If Malia is my PA fuck no I'm asking her to get coffee or groceries.

anaron

She's the fun one. She's the smart one. The only problem? Their dad's the president!

First Sisters, coming to ABCFamily this fall for 300 episodes and a Christmas special.

But like for real what did they do on Extant? It Malia is my PA fuck no I'm asking her to get coffee or groceries.

You know she'd have the direct line to her dad ready to imprison anyone that makes her angry.

I wanna see her argue with execs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom