• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Critics review shows on a per-episode basis, regardless if they are broadcast on a schedule or thrown out there all at once into the wild like Netflix/Amazon/etc. That's why critics panned it. I was watching it and evaluating it on a per-episode basis and more or less agreed with the critics' assessment. People watching it just queue up the next episode and it all just kinda blends together and smooths over the flaws you'd probably notice if Marco Polo aired weekly instead somewhere else.

edit: although the assessment that it being kung fu over historical drama is mostly a matter of taste. people have told me Marco Polo is supposed to emulate wuxia stuff from cinema over in China, which is supposed to be a blend of not-so-historical historical drama mixed with crazy over the top kung fu stunts (which I know I watched with the parents when I was younger), which might be the reason why.

Wiktor

So Resurrection isn't doing as well as it did when it was new? Is it a good show?

Also I wouldn't trust Chris Carter to do anything good. Rob Bowman, Vince Gilligan and others were responsible for the best of the X-Files.

Neither of them were on Millenium and Harsh Realm and both of those shows were great. Of course he was still surrounded by talented people there, but that might be the simple answer - just give him good people to work on.
Maybe he's the Goyer of television - weak alone, excellent when backed up by partners

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Expected. But they aren't even going to give it a final season close out?

Also:
TFA said:
Economics played a key role in the decision to end Covert Affairs. Unlike the case with Fox 21 TV Stuidios-produced White Collar the same time last year, ownership was not a factor as Covert Affairs is owned by USA. As is the case with older series, its production costs have gone up over the years. In addition to rising talent fees, the series also went bigger on locations, from the clunky green screen shots in the first couple seasons to filming around the world in recent years.

This was always why it was gonna be one step from cancelled.

More Netflix news via EW:
Marco Polo has been renewed for a second season, Netflix announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association’s winter previews.

The drama, which launched in December, stars Lorenzo Richelmy as the titular character during the era of Kublai Khan. Polo will return for a 10-episode second season.

Additionally, Netflix set premiere dates for its new series, including the Tina Fey/Robert Carlock comedy Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which will bow Friday, March 6. The Kyle Chandler drama Bloodline, from the team behind Damages, will launch Friday, March 20. Marvel’s Daredevil, which stars Charlie Cox as the titular hero, will premiere Friday, April 20. Grace and Frankie, which stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin, will be available for streaming on Friday, May 8.

A.K.A. Jessica Jones, which has yet to start production, is expected to premiere roughly a year after Daredevil, but it’s unclear whether it will bow in late 2015 or early 2016. The Luke Cage and Iron Fist projects would follow with a similar time frame.

As for the long-awaited Wet Hot American Summer sequel series, which would reunite the cast of David Wain’s 2001 big-screen parody, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos played coy. “We’re really excited about the proposition of getting that show together,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

On the Arrested Development front, Sarandos is “very optimistic” about the show returning. “Everyone is trying to make it happen,” he told reporters.

On the family side, The Adventures of Puss in Boots will premiere Jan. 16, followed by Ever After High: Spring Unsprung on Feb. 6 and Mako Mermaids on Feb. 13.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Mozart also gets renewed, the idea of the "timeslot" of a when a streaming show is released will be utterly meaningless. I thought releasing a show in December was akin to putting on a Friday or Saturday. I think I was wrong.

beat

A.K.A. Jessica Jones, which has yet to start production, is expected to premiere roughly a year after Daredevil, but it’s unclear whether it will bow in late 2015 or early 2016. The Luke Cage and Iron Fist projects would follow with a similar time frame.
For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that all four Marvel Netflix TV projects would debut nearly the same time, but this makes more sense, unfortunately. Also, I mostly really wanted to see Iron Fist, or more precisely I wanted to see the Fraction/Aja Iron Fist series brought to life.

ivysaur12

Banned
For some reason I'd gotten it into my head that all four Marvel Netflix TV projects would debut nearly the same time, but this makes more sense, unfortunately. Also, I mostly really wanted to see Iron Fist, or more precisely I wanted to see the Fraction/Aja Iron Fist series brought to life.

More evidence that these are meant to be full series, not just one off seasons leading to an eventual one season team up. They've been weirdly unclear about that.

As for the long-awaited Wet Hot American Summer sequel series, which would reunite the cast of David Wain’s 2001 big-screen parody, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos played coy. “We’re really excited about the proposition of getting that show together,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

This would be nice, I'll take anything with any of the cast from The State

jey_16

Banned
Kind of shocked at how well Gotham is rating, really expected it to drop like a rock after the premiere. Especially compared to AoS and now Agent Carter

Wiktor

Kind of shocked at how well Gotham is rating, really expected it to drop like a rock after the premiere. Especially compared to AoS and now Agent Carter

Marvel's brand power just doesn't extend to TV and both AoS and Carter are shows aimed mostly at specific audience.
Meanwhile GOtham mixes nerd-friendly elements with widespread appeal of cop drama. Thus it can capture wider audience more easily.

It woud be complete shock if it wouldn't be doing better than AoS and Carter.
Also,..Carter propably got hurt by Agent's of Shield;s early suckage. Even if the show improved like hell a large portion of its initial audience left with the impression it's terrible show. Hard to combat that stigma now.

Marvel's brand power just doesn't extend to TV and both AoS and Carter are shows aimed mostly at specific audience.
Meanwhile GOtham mixes nerd-friendly elements with widespread appeal of cop drama. Thus it can capture wider audience more easily.

It woud be complete shock if it wouldn't be doing better than AoS and Carter

I think you're looking too deeply into it. It's a Batman show. That alone brings in viewers. Meanwhile AoS is a cast of mostly unknowns and Agent Carter is built off a minor character in a tv show/one shot. Gotham would have had to be really bad to tank viewers given it's A list tier (in recognition) of characters. Apparently it's not really bad, so it's holding onto viewers.

Penguin

I think you're looking too deeply into it. It's a Batman show. That alone brings in viewers. Meanwhile AoS is a cast of mostly unknowns and Agent Carter is built off a minor character in a tv show/one shot. Gotham would have had to be really bad to tank viewers given it's A list tier (in recognition) of characters. Apparently it's not really bad, so it's holding onto viewers.

But it isn't a Batman-show, and I honestly thought like AoS, most of the audience would have bailed when they discovered that Batman wouldn't be on it.

But I think people stay for the simple nature of it.

Really surprised it came back stronger after the break.

Feel like a case of internet negativity coloring my impression that people just aren't into it, but seems it resonated with the audience better than any other comic show not Walking Dead

But it isn't a Batman-show, and I honestly thought like AoS, most of the audience would have bailed when they discovered that Batman wouldn't be on it.

But I think people stay for the simple nature of it.

Really surprised it came back stronger after the break.

Feel like a case of internet negativity coloring my impression that people just aren't into it, but seems it resonated with the audience better than any other comic show not Walking Dead

It's only technically not a Batman show. It still has a ton of iconic characters, including Bruce Wayne, even if they haven't yet reached their well known identities. That gives it an appeal.

They've been vague and contradictory on the dates for those shows. It's odd.

Specifically, Jessica Jones was still officially slated for this year as of a mere 16 days ago, so I have no idea what to make of Sarandos' comments today in that light.

Agent Carter ratings are about what I expected. I think SHIELD will probably eke out a third season, but I doubt ABC will be eager to greenlight more Marvel shows anytime soon. Which is just as well, as they're arguably a better fit for Netflix anyway.

Nope, its popular because its NOT a superhero show.

I hate superhero shows.

But I love Gotham. Why? It's Southland set in NYC with some added humor. There no superhero crap bringing it down. Sure, sure, they throw around some references that anyone who doesnt live in a cave knows - penguin, Bruce wayne....but you know what? Cut out those throwaway lines and you lose nothing.

Marvel does well at the cinema because the goal is to sell tickets. The money coming from a 12 year old boy is just as valuable as the money coming from anyone else, hell, maybe more so because that 12 year old boys brings his friends and a chaperone, and is more likely to come back next week to watch again. So making a throwaway superhero movie rather than an Alfono Cuaron piece makes financial sense (but sadly not cultural sense).

Fortunately on broadcast TV, that 12 year old boy is worthless.

Gotham attracts the people who grew up watching Ben McKenzie on TV. You know, 20-somethings, aka, the advertising goldmine. Thats why Gotham has done well. It helps that the show has decent writing and a great art direction.

celebi23

Hey, USA
255.gif
1186.gif

499.gif
236.gif

Nope, its popular because its NOT a superhero show.

I hate superhero shows.

But I love Gotham. Why? It's Southland set in NYC with some added humor. There no superhero crap bringing it down. Sure, sure, they throw around some references that anyone who doesnt live in a cave knows - penguin, Bruce wayne....but you know what? Cut out those throwaway lines and you lose nothing.

Marvel does well at the cinema because the goal is to sell tickets. The money coming from a 12 year old boy is just as valuable as the money coming from anyone else, hell, maybe more so because that 12 year old boys brings his friends and a chaperone, and is more likely to come back next week to watch again. So making a throwaway superhero movie rather than an Alfono Cuaron piece makes financial sense (but sadly not cultural sense).

Fortunately on broadcast TV, that 12 year old boy is worthless.

Gotham attracts the people who grew up watching Ben McKenzie on TV. You know, 20-somethings, aka, the advertising goldmine. Thats why Gotham has done well. It helps that the show has decent writing and a great art direction.

Your stance here doesn't make sense to me considering that Southland was Southland with "no super hero crap bringing it down" and complete with Ben McKenzie.. and it lost enough viewers that it was retooled after one season then cancelled before TNT saved it.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the show was great. However your comparison just doesn't seem to work in favor of your point. If Gotham is Southland in NY then why did Southland drop viewers while Gotham is holding strong?

Don't get me wrong, I thought the show was great. However your comparison just doesn't seem to work in favor of your point. If Gotham is Southland in NY then why did Southland drop viewers while Gotham is holding strong?

NBC

The question

Why did NBC SHOW drop viewers while OTHER NETWORK SHOW is holding strong?

has an answer some studio executives would pay millions for

NBC

The question

Why did NBC SHOW drop viewers while OTHER NETWORK SHOW is holding strong?

has an answer some studio executives would pay millions for

I can't find the Neilsen ratings for that year and don't recall them well enough but total viewers for Southland goes from over 9 million to as low as 4 million. You're saying that 5 million loss (at it's greatest differential) is solely due to the Network? Seems like you're scapegoating the network.

I can't find the Neilsen ratings for that year and don't recall them well enough but total viewers for Southland goes from over 9 million to as low as 4 million. You're saying that 5 million loss (at it's greatest differential) is solely due to the Network? Seems like you're scapegoating the network.

Community Pilot: September 17, 2009
7.89 million happy fans

Community end of Season 2: May 12, 2011
3.32 million happy fans

Chuck Season 3 started on January 10, 2010 with 7.70 million
Chuck season 3 ended 5 months later with 5 million

Marriage Ref premiered n January 2010 with 14 million
3 weeks later it was pulling 6 million (and got renewed)

Jay Leno show (September 2009) went from 17.7 million to 4.7 million in three months

Southland aired at a time that NBC was in free-fall and had no fucking clue what they were doing. From fucking up the Olympics, to the Jay Leno stuff, to the beginning of the end of Thursday comedy night. Southland got caught up in the middle of that.

If it was on CBS, it would still be on TV until at least 2022.

Community Pilot: September 17, 2009
7.89 million happy fans

Community end of Season 2: May 12, 2011
3.32 million happy fans

Chuck Season 3 started on January 10, 2010 with 7.70 million
Chuck season 3 ended 5 months later with 5 million

Marriage Ref premiered n January 2010 with 14 million
3 weeks later it was pulling 6 million (and got renewed)

Jay Leno show (September 2009) went from 17.7 million to 4.7 million in three months

Southland aired at a time that NBC was in free-fall and had no fucking clue what they were doing. From fucking up the Olympics, to the Jay Leno stuff, to the beginning of the end of Thursday comedy night. Southland got caught up in the middle of that.

If it was on CBS, it would still be on TV until at least 2022.

Eh.. I could counter most of those examples but doing so would be arguing semantics, so I'll simply concede to your point.

I will, however, mention that CBS viewers are a special breed considering 2 Broke Girls success (among other shows).

Eh.. I could counter most of those examples but doing so would be arguing semantics, so I'll simply concede to your point.

I will, however, mention that CBS viewers are a special breed considering 2 Broke Girls success (among other shows).

2 broke girls has giant boobs. There's no mystery there.

It's only technically not a Batman show. It still has a ton of iconic characters, including Bruce Wayne, even if they haven't yet reached their well known identities. That gives it an appeal.

Gotham isn't exactly a good show, but I have more fun watching it than I do watching the much improved Agents of Shield or Agent Carter. I'd watch Donal Logue in anything and Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin is great.

I'm not surprised it's out rating both of the Marvel shows.

Oddduck

I'll tell you exactly why Gotham is successful (ratings wise).

Because its funny. I don't mean in a "it's so bad, it's funny" sort of way.

I mean, it's a legitimately funny show. Bullock, Penguin, Riddler, Butch, Alfred, Maroni, Victor Zsasz, etc are all funny. Gordon's facial expressions at all of the stupidity around him is funny. Even little Poison Ivy was funny in the midseason premiere. The guest stars who appear each week are funny.

Tamanon

Banned
Gotham is a funny show, with fun characters and you even get mob intrigue and a new mobster dying almost every episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom