• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

Brickleberry got canned? Best news I heard in the cancellation thread in ages...along with Bob Burgers getting renewed!
I almost made a post with the exact opposite reaction.

Brickleberry had its moments for me. Bob's Burgers on the other hand is dullsville and boring as glue.

My guesses:

One of those longtime soaps that were canned
Joe Millionaire, again
Siberia (but why would this be funny?)
Rake....oh no, wait, we know its coming back but called Backstrom or something
Jersey Shore
Charles in Charge

maxcriden

With a title that doubles as a metaphor for his current leading-man status (it tends to happen when you haven’t starred in a movie for three years), HBO has announced that Jack Black’s comedy series The Brink will debut in summer 2015.

Black, along with Tim Robbins, Pablo Schreiber, and a solid supporting cast, will be telling a 10-episode story that definitely seems to emphasize the “dark” in “dark comedy”:

When a rogue general seizes control of Pakistan and its nuclear arsenal, the fate of the world rests on the shoulders of three improbable Americans: Secretary of State Walter Larson (Robbins), lowly Foreign Service officer Alex Talbot (Black) and ace Navy fighter pilot Zeke Tilson (Schreiber). From the turbulent streets of the Middle East, to the White House Situation Room, to an aircraft carrier on the Red Sea, these three compromised souls must pull through the chaos around them to save the planet from World War Three.

Via: http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-says-its-jack-black-comedy-brink-coming-summer-213645

Sober

Kind of hard not to make it very white when it's about jews vs romans. That trailer actually had surprisingly big number of black people and it seems in pretty prominent roles, much more than Exodus, which is pretty hilarious.
Levantine populations are always hard to depict, regardless of the era (Judeo-Roman or Islamic or Turkic or Modern, etc.) because someone will always chime in and ask why white people exist in a region of the world where white people did in fact exist.

Sober

Of course they were, especially since we're talking about bible story and bible separates humanity only into three races based on three sons of Noah.
Oh boy, let's not go there, at all.

The only argument you could possibly make is that people in positions of authority can generally be depicted with lighter skin tones over commoners. And that's what the show seems to show from the trailer, that there might be some of that dynamic of Judea (Roman commanders/governors in charge of the province, the Judaic high priests vs. disciples of Jesus/people impacted by his presence) I'm not going to make that argument, but let's not pretend everyone in the show is Pure-Bred American (tm) White (r) (tm) either or is being depicted that way either (Jesus with an M16, where are you?).

I'd rather defer to someone with more knowledge in Levantine populations under Hellenistic/Roman rule about what the ethnic population might have been at the time (and even then it gets messy I'm guessing, if we're gonna go into it), but remember, this isn't a history paper for a Levantine studies PhD, this is an entertainment product created for an American audience, so there's bound to be some liberties taken in terms of representation or what actor pools they pull from or who even wants to audition for this in the first place.

Probably Constantine since TVBTN insists it's done. Them and their "Cancellation Bear" being wrong again would bring a "lol" out of many here.

FoneBone

Probably Constantine since TVBTN insists it's done. Them and their "Cancellation Bear" being wrong again would bring a "lol" out of many here.

I *really* doubt NBC would be making a decision about Constantine before any of their midseason dramas had premiered.

Also the "lol" thing makes me think he was talking about a show basically nobody in this thread would actually like or actively hope to get renewed/revived.

Wiktor

The more complex ethnics groups classifications are pretty modern invention and especially in deeply catholic countries people are still mostly seen as either white, black or yellow, and the idea for that kind of classification comes from the bible, altough it has been simplified in people's general conciousness compared to what's actually in the book. In this system people from middle eastern countries, latinos, even people from India are all white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom