• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

LOL TVBTN. That is some impressive renewaling. Waiting for that Constantine renewal announcement, especially if the ratings improve with the earlier time slot.

That's why they're moving Supernatural and putting iZombie in its place, don't think Supernatural benefitted at all from The Flash's ratings, a new show should draw more attention than a show that's 10 years in.

My thoughts exactly.

No idea, the critical response and especially the Golden Globe nomination cemented it for me. I would've been shocked if CW dropped a show that's kind of the first on the network to get such a positive response and awards attention, even with its "meh" ratings.
I hope, hope, hope Constantine gets renewed because i have been itching to watch all the episodes aired so far (except the first 2 episodes which i watched and loved) but i can't bring it to myself to fall in love with the show now and have it cancelled next week.

Flash/Super/Arrow like others said no brainers. Jane? honestly, never heard of it until last night and i guess i will give it a show since Parenthood/Justified are ending this season i got some room for a new show.

Pachimari

I hope, hope, hope Constantine gets renewed because i have been itching to watch all the episodes aired so far (except the first 2 episodes which i watched and loved) but i can't bring it to myself to fall in love with the show now and have it cancelled next week.

Flash/Super/Arrow like others said no brainers. Jane? honestly, never heard of it until last night and i guess i will give it a show since Parenthood/Justified are ending this season i got some room for a new show.
You have to watch Jane. It's super fun! Mind you, it's not for everybody though.

Tamanon

Banned
Good for Scott Bakula. NCIS New Orleans is perfectly fine for a procedural. And it's more grounded than NCIS:LA. Actual police cases for the most part, not a terrorist attack every week.

Scorpion is just silly most of the time, but too many people watch it to not get a second season.

ivysaur12

Banned
2ov1cAj.png

Palmer_v1

I heard her acceptance speech was pretty good. Need to find it online.

Really hope she continues to be successful, even after JTV eventually ends.

jrDev

Wait, raising hope was cancelled? When?

Happy for all CW renewals, they have the lions share of most shows I watch on any network...

Zoe

Really? I know I haven't kept up with last season but I thought that show would last...Damn...

I wasn't an avid watcher, but every impression I had seen said the last season became the Burt and Virginia antics show.

beat

Really? I know I haven't kept up with last season but I thought that show would last...Damn...

Greg Garcia took an overall deal at a competing studio a couple of years ago, which let him finish out the third season of Raising Hope, but the fourth was then passed on to someone else. Also, I think the Jimmy-Sabrina-Hope story was running out of steam, so even under Garcia it probably would have become (more) the Burt and Virginia show anyways.

ivysaur12

Banned
Search for "What is Jane the Virgin" and "What is Transparent" on twitter and you'll realize one of the biggest values that the Golden Globes has.

They basically just give awards to the newest shows that deserve some love. And that's fine, even if I don't like The Affair.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Search for "What is Jane the Virgin" and "What is Transparent" on twitter and you'll realize one of the biggest values that the Golden Globes has.

They basically just give awards to the newest shows that deserve some love. And that's fine, even if I don't like The Affair.

To be fair, music award shows have pages and pages of "lol wtf is paul mackartenny??? #1d #blessed #niallplzpooponme"--hopefully the people caught off guard by Jane the Virgin or Transparent (or The Honourable Woman or...) actually check them out.

ivysaur12

Banned
To be fair, music award shows have pages and pages of "lol wtf is paul mackartenny??? #1d #blessed #niallplzpooponme"--hopefully the people caught off guard by Jane the Virgin or Transparent (or The Honourable Woman or...) actually check them out.

Don't most people want Zayn to poop on them? Hmm.

And yes, you'd hope that more exposure = higher ratings. Ideally, you'd hope that this catapults Gina towards an Emmy nomination (now, a near certainty). Even a nomination is something you can promo all summer. It's too bad that the first 9 episodes aren't all available for streaming at once -- that actually seems to be a common complaint on twitter at the moment.

What is wrong with you?

A lot :-(

TheOddOne

Also: Showtime Chief Talks Free Speech, ‘Homeland,’ ‘Twin Peaks,’ ‘Happyish’
After the formal Q&A, Nevins said that two other original series, “House of Lies” and “Episodes,” are looking good for renewals. And he said that Beau Bridges and Allison Janney are likely to reprise their roles on “Masters of Sex” next season, when there will be “a big jump” in the time frame of the period drama revolving around the famed sex researchers William Masters and Victoria Johnson.
In an unguarded moment while discussing the state of TV, Nevins expressed some frustration with the new mania for limited and anthology series productions, or what he described as “this weird idea of moral superiority of close-ended, eight to 10-episode miniseries.” Although “Twin Peaks” is in that wheelhouse, Showtime’s focus remains on grooming shows that have the goods to run for multiple seasons.

“They’re the heart and soul of television,” he said. Viewers “want to make bonds with characters over time.”

How much time usually is between shooting a pilot and orderering it to series on cable?
Showtime's pilot Roadies will shoot this week and i'm thinking about when we'll hear about it. Cast is so good and theme is very interesting to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
Confirmed: Penny Dreadful did not have a room for season 2, but Logan said fuck it for season 3 since writing TV by yourself is particularly challenge. Yay rooms!

HBO numbers from Adalian:
GIRLS S4 premiere: 680K viewers at 9 p.m.
S3 debut at 10pm: 1.1M
S2 debut at 9 pm: 866K

TOGETHERNESS series premiere (9:30 p.m.) 427K

As always: HBO is most interested in how many folks watch a show over the long term. Most shows add 4x premiere aud via DVR, reruns, HBOGO

Showtime:
SHAMELESS S5 premiere: 1.8M
S4 premiere: 1.7M
S3 premiere: 2M

Also, FWIW: Showtime's SHAMELESS scored 0.8 A18-49 at 9 p.m. Sunday, tying RESURRECTION. SHO is in maybe 1/3 as many homes as ABC.

HBO numbers from Adalian:

Showtime:

Are the Shameless numbers just those who watched it live? With it being released on demand, my wife and I watched it early. Would be interesting to know whether those 1.8M were everyone who watched it over all of the possible releases (YT had a censored version too) or just live.

Are the Shameless numbers just those who watched it live? With it being released on demand, my wife and I watched it early. Would be interesting to know whether those 1.8M were everyone who watched it over all of the possible releases (YT had a censored version too) or just live.
I'm pretty sure that's the first run number.

Holy shit at this article

“Just say the line,” said Melvin, our executive producer.

“Did you read the book 1?” I asked. “If you can find any crumb of a complete thought in the book that remotely infers ‘America is great,’ I’ll read the line.”

“Eddie, we need it for the episode. It’s a big moment! You have a black kid and a Chinese kid breaking bread over a Jewish hip-hop concert. Where else could this happen? America IS great!”

“Of course you picked a Beastie Boys concert. That’s what you people do — you make Asian sitcoms for white people praising Ill Communication because we’re both acceptable, unthreatening gateways to black culture. These kids couldn’t break bread at a Gravediggaz show?”

“It’s not your story anymore. Get over it. The kids ARE NOT going to a Gravediggaz show! This is a HISTORIC network-television show inspired by your life, and it’s going to get Americans excited about us. 2 It’s never going to be the book; it’s never going to be Baohaus. 3 It’s Panda Express, 4 and you know what? Orange chicken gets America really excited about Chinese people in airports.”

“Then what did you buy my book for? Just make A Chink’s Life … With Free Wonton Soup or Soda: A reverse-yellowface show with universal white stories played out by Chinamen.”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about. This show is on the AMERICAN BROADCASTING CHANNEL. It’s the holy grail! Network television! Just say the line, man …”

Complete silence.

“How about a compromise? What about ‘Ain’t America great?’ or ‘America’s not half-bad!’
”

Read it all

http://www.vulture.com/2015/01/eddie-huang-fresh-off-the-boat-abc.html

Sober

Thanks for that.

I'm kind of glad Eddie did stick to his guns there, because he seems a little unfamiliar with how the process should work whereas I got the impression Melvin Mar does to an extent, and after all these years I have plenty of faith in Nahnatchka Khan. Looking at the wiki page, it lists all the episodes for the show and it has a fair amount of Asian writers too apart from Khan herself. It seems like he understood the truth of the matter by the end though; it seems like he wanted everything to come out strong at the start like I'm supposing it is like in his book, but that's a bit tough sell, even discounting just having a full East Asian cast. Yeah, having the stereotypes suck but it's the quickest way to bring people in before you break them apart and add more depth and nuance to the characters and their situations. I dunno, I've been taught that lesson myself (I luckily didn't have to learn it that hard way like how Huang describes), but I am glad to see at the very least he does have a very strong voice into what goes on during production and the creative process because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom