• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer_v1

So... how did Galahad end up doing overall? I thought it was meant to be a standalone mini-series, but the ending certainly implies further adventures. Did the ratings come anywhere close to warranting a second season?

I liked the show a lot once I gave in and embraced the cheese.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The "Netflix making Zelda" thing is is so weird, if true. I mean, of all the franchises to adapt, they go after The Legend of Zelda? Why? What makes them think there's a show in there? There are so many other game/book/comic properties that would make for a better TV show...

anaron

The "Netflix making Zelda" thing is is so weird, if true. I mean, of all the franchises to adapt, they go after The Legend of Zelda? Why? What makes them think there's a show in there? There are so many other game/book/comic properties that would make for a better TV show...
Still waiting for my Resident Evil tv series tbh

Sober

Cause Sonic already has a TV show, so they had to continue down the list of franchises with the most insufferable fans.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

because as of about 15 months ago nintendo began aggressively licensing everything they could to anyone who wanted them to because no one wants a wii u or 3ds and the company has been spiralling for a while now

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html

ivysaur12

Banned

They probably want something High Fantasy. Final Fantasy is a little amorphous in terms of what it IS (it has an ATB system and a fantasy setting, but no real notable characters that you could mine for a franchise. Individual games have characters, but if SE wanted to promote the FF franchise, why would they license a show based off of FF7 or FF13?

I think it works out for both Netflix and Nintendo. Netflix gets a very high profile franchise that will do very well. Nintendo gets a lot more exposure for the Zelda franchise, especially with lagging WiiU sales.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
because as of about 15 months ago nintendo began aggressively licensing everything they could to anyone who wanted them to because no one wants a wii u or 3ds and the company has been spiralling for a while now

q8Ztrwz.jpg

I knew they were doing bad. But dammmmmn.

beat

if SE wanted to promote the FF franchise, why would they license a show based off of FF7 or FF13?
SE made FF7:Advent Children; I could see them trying to make a full-blown TV series off of a popular FF game. Would probably have to be animated, and it would probably not be doable to their desired visual fidelity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Still waiting for my Resident Evil tv series tbh

Helix, sis!

Cause Sonic already has a TV show, so they had to continue down the list of franchises with the most insufferable fans.

Coming this fall to TNT - The Last of Us. Boom. We Know Drama.

so what you're saying is that nintendo is doomed?

They probably want something High Fantasy.

But, I mean, there are so many other franchises out there that would be so much better...

Final Fantasy is a little amorphous in terms of what it IS (it has an ATB system and a fantasy setting, but no real notable characters that you could mine for a franchise.

And LoZ does? Link is more of a symbol than a character. He has no personality (nor do any of the other LoZ characters), the stories in each game are paper thin, and the lore is not interesting in the least. (and I say this as a big fan of the franchise)

Individual games have characters, but if SE wanted to promote the FF franchise, why would they license a show based off of FF7 or FF13?

I assume they'd just, like, make up new characters or something (Spirits Within style) instead of doing a direct adaptation of one of the games. (if a Final Fantasy series were to happen)

I think it works out for both Netflix and Nintendo. Netflix gets a very high profile franchise that will do very well. Nintendo gets a lot more exposure for the Zelda franchise, especially with lagging WiiU sales.

I guess it makes sense. It has the potential to be a hit, and that's all that really matters to them, but I personally don't think there's any potential for this thing to be any good. I just can't see what this even is going to look like from one week to the next. (well, not week to week considering it's Netflix, but you know what I mean)

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm a huge fan of both franchises, but Link, Zelda, and Ganon have more cultural relevancy due to the fact that they've been in 17 games, than, say random new Spirits Within-esque Final Fantasy characters or even characters from FF7.

If I'm looking to for a high fantasy franchise to mine, why not go to one of history's biggest? And the fact that Link and Zelda aren't really characters helps. They can sort of be whatever they need to be for the story. That's also the fun of every Zelda game. Tetra is not TP Zelda is not SS Zelda is not OoT Zelda.

I have huge reservations about a series, but Zelda actually makes a lot more sense than most other games. Most games would not translate well to television, and even less so for movies. But Zelda has a entire trove of staples, tropes, and mythology (lol) to mine from… but also isn't quite beholden to any universe, ala Marvel. It can be whatever you want it to be, sort of like how every game is whatever Nintendo wants it to be.

Sober

I do wonder what they would do in a Zelda TV show other than mime the basic movements and beats of a Zelda game.

ivysaur12

Banned
I do wonder what they would do in a Zelda TV show other than mime the basic movements and beats of a Zelda game.

I've been thinking about it all day -- it'd be very different than any game. The video game-ness of it just wouldn't work. No dungeons, no items, etc. Probably slightly more grounded fantasy. I think you can make it work, but it just wouldn't resemble the beats of the game, more the setting and themes.

My big question is… what the hell are Zoras/Gorons/other races going to look like?

maxcriden

I am really hoping (assuming) it's not going to be anything like a Zelda game. As ivy opined above, I doubt there will be dungeons or a traditional game-like arc. I suspect they'll just have their own high fantasy arc involving the basic Zelda characters in a new take on the central conflict.

ivysaur12

Banned
I am really hoping (assuming) it's not going to be anything like a Zelda game. As ivy opined above, I doubt there will be dungeons or a traditional game-like arc. I suspect they'll just have their own high fantasy arc involving the basic Zelda characters in a new take on the central conflict.

The more I think about what the framing device for the series would be, that'd be it. And then the Zelda/Link relationship could be whatever's necessary to make the most compelling story/drama based on what the narrative would be.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm a huge fan of both franchises, but Link, Zelda, and Ganon have more cultural relevancy due to the fact that they've been in 17 games, than, say random new Spirits Within-esque Final Fantasy characters or even characters from FF7.

Maybe, but I kind of feel like Gannon and Zelda lack any relevance to the culture at large. A lot of people know Link (by sight, obviously not by name considering how many people think his name is Zelda...)
y cant metroid crawl
but I doubt that any other character in the series carries any weight outside of the hardcore gamer circles.

And the fact that Link and Zelda aren't really characters helps. They can sort of be whatever they need to be for the story. That's also the fun of every Zelda game. Tetra is not TP Zelda is not SS Zelda is not OoT Zelda.

That could be cool if this was going to be an anthology series...

I have huge reservations about a series, but Zelda actually makes a lot more sense than most other games. Most games would not translate well to television, and even less so for movies. But Zelda has a entire trove of staples, tropes, and mythology (lol) to mine from… but also isn't quite beholden to any universe, ala Marvel. It can be whatever you want it to be, sort of like how every game is whatever Nintendo wants it to be.

It just feels so random to me. Like, it they wanted to appeal to the gamer crowd, wouldn't they try to make a series from a more relevant franchise? League of Legends or Minecraft or something?

Also, since Microsoft's got a Halo series and Nintendo has Zelda in the works (maybe), Sony needs to get in the game now. To balance the equilibrium of the universe. I'm thinking maybe a live action PaRappa the Rapper?

Each episode is a new fetch quest!

My big question is… what the hell are Zoras/Gorons/other races going to look like?

Zoras:

W27jTNu.jpg

Gorons:

3szBeZ8.jpg

Clevinger

I'd imagine Zelda would work well as an animated movie from like the HTTYD guys or something.

Live action and stretching it out to a series. Whut.

Penguin

I've been thinking about it all day -- it'd be very different than any game. The video game-ness of it just wouldn't work. No dungeons, no items, etc. Probably slightly more grounded fantasy. I think you can make it work, but it just wouldn't resemble the beats of the game, more the setting and themes.

I still say Doctor Who

I can see Zoras looking similar to the Ood

And Gorons... well not sure the race but the like... Potato men

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Link better be some Americanized muscle hunk. Plus go retro and wear no pants.

Like, who do they even cast for Link? Do they go for petite and young looking ala Thomas Brodie-Sangster? Muscle twink like Zac Efron? (I'm just assuming they'll cast someone white) If they're aiming towards families then I can't imagine they'll cast anyone older/grizzled.

Or do they *shudder* pull a Peter Pan and cast a woman in the role? (while maintaining Link's male gender?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom