• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whooter

Potential stupid question: Does "Fresh Off the Boat" have a laugh track, or do they leave it to the viewer to decide what's funny?

Chicago Med is actually in development (a backdoor pilot is going to air later this season on Chicago Fire), and I wouldn't be surprised if they also did a Chicago Law at some point too.

ABC has Shonday - NBC has Chicagoday.

Didn't NBC already have a chicago hospital show? They could move the whole thing to Thursday nights, call the medical show Chicago Hospital or Chicago Emergency room, and air it at 10pm/9pm central...

Sounds to me like a winning formula.

ivysaur12

Banned
Potential stupid question: Does "Fresh Off the Boat" have a laugh track, or do they leave it to the viewer to decide what's funny?

Just want to point out that now that How I Met Your Mother is over, there are currently no multi cam sitcoms on broadcast TV that employ a "laugh track". The rest are all filmed in front of live audiences.

beat

Just want to point out that now that How I Met Your Mother is over, there are currently no multi cam sitcoms on broadcast TV that employ a "laugh track". The rest are all filmed in front of live audiences.
They must edit the laughing sounds at some points, either because the audience laughed too much or not enough. Even if "not enough" was because the first few takes were genuinely funny but the surprise was lost by the time they finally got the take they needed.

Also, some of the "jokes" on the multicams are wretched as hell and I kinda doubt the laughs were truly earned.

They only have one hospital show right now - The Night Shift - and it's set in Texas.
I think he was referring to ER.

Whooter

I see. I guess I meant to ask if laughter was recorded and played back during the broadcast? I watched the first episode of "Cristela" and while it was cute and kind of amusing, the overbearing laughter that was played after every joke was excruciating to me.

ivysaur12

Banned
They must edit the laughing sounds at some points, either because the audience laughed too much or not enough. Even if "not enough" was because the first few takes were genuinely funny but the surprise was lost by the time they finally got the take they needed.

Also, some of the "jokes" on the multicams are wretched as hell and I kinda doubt the laughs were truly earned.

Still not a "laugh track".

Malvingt2

Guys I watched the season 1 of the Americans recently, waiting a couple of days more for my opinion to sink in before sharing it.

beat

Still not a "laugh track".
OK, then, this is the quote I go back to. From 2011, admittedly:
“The executive producers would say, ‘Don’t worry—you know who will love that joke? Mr. Sweetman.’ ” Bickelhaupt backs this up: “Yes, there are times where I’m doing all of the audience responses,” he says. “I’m not going to tell you what those shows are.”
Obviously he wasn't talking about HIMYM because everyone already knew there was no live audience for that show. Also, he said "shows", plural.

http://tvline.com/2015/02/05/damon-wayans-jr-leaving-new-girl-season-4-coach/

NOT TO DOUBLE POST BUT DAMON IS FREE. ADAM IS FREE. ELIZA IS FREE. AND LET'S BE HONEST, CASEY, ELISHA, ZACHARY, AND CASPE WILL BE FREE AT THE END OF THE SEASON.

NETFLIX. HELLO MR. NETFLIX ARE YOU THERE IT'S ME IT'S TIME.

(This is clearly so Damon can lead a pilot, but still).
rrdpM9G.gif

Let's do it.

ivysaur12

Banned
OK, then, this is the quote I go back to. From 2011, admittedly:

Obviously he wasn't talking about HIMYM because everyone already knew there was no live audience for that show. Also, he said "shows", plural.

Of course that happens. It happens for a variety of reasons -- the joke is lame. The audience reaction from the third take wasn't as good as the first take. Someone has a shitty laugh in the audience.

Still, not a laugh track.

beat

Of course that happens. It happens for a variety of reasons -- the joke is lame. The audience reaction from the third take wasn't as good as the first take. Someone has a shitty laugh in the audience.

Still, not a laugh track.
What's the difference then? If the sound guy is stitching together all the laughs, probably including some from now-dead laughers, how is that any different from a laugh track?

G0523

http://tvline.com/2015/02/05/damon-wayans-jr-leaving-new-girl-season-4-coach/

NOT TO DOUBLE POST BUT DAMON IS FREE. ADAM IS FREE. ELIZA IS FREE. AND LET'S BE HONEST, CASEY, ELISHA, ZACHARY, AND CASPE WILL BE FREE AT THE END OF THE SEASON.

NETFLIX. HELLO MR. NETFLIX ARE YOU THERE IT'S ME IT'S TIME.

(This is clearly so Damon can lead a pilot, but still).

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!!! PLEASE NETFLIX/HULU/ANYONE REALLY!!!

When I read this earlier today, I thought it was so funny that Damon Wayans, Jr. is leaving New Girl again, and Adam Pally left The Mindy Project, and Eliza Coupe's show got cancelled that I just had to see it. There needs to be a revival! This isn't just some big ol' coincidence!

ivysaur12

Banned
What's the difference then? If the sound guy is stitching together all the laughs, probably including some from now-dead laughers, how is that any different from a laugh track?

Because if there are people who are actually laughing, and even if you have to edit parts of it down… it's not a laugh track.

Serious question: Has any show that is a network "borrowing" the idea of a niche cable show EVER worked out?

You can't blame NBC for trying to get in on some of that 0.35 demo magic The Americans brought in last night.

Ratings are scored like golf, right?

beat

Because if there are people who are actually laughing, and even if you have to edit parts of it down… it's not a laugh track.
I think it's clear from that quote that the guy meant a good part of his work was adding laughs, not taking them down. And if all (his words) of the responses that air are done by the sweetener guy, then whether the source laughs are a week old or three decades old, it's a laugh track.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think it's clear from that quote that the guy meant a good part of his work was adding laughs, not taking them down. And if all (his words) of the responses that air are done by the sweetener guy, then whether the source laughs are a week old or three decades old, it's a laugh track.

If you're overlaying something on nothing, it's a laugh track.

If you're editing on something, that's sweetening. That's not a laugh track.

I've been to half a dozen sitcom tapings, both good and bad sitcoms. People laugh. Editing them is something completely different than what something would be a "laugh track".

No, it was called Chicago Hope and Mandy Patinkin was in it. I think it started the same year as ER though and so Hope didn't stick. Or maybe Hope was CBS.

ER was NBC's Chicago hospital show, but yes, they debuted the same year and both were set in Chicago hospitals. They even joked about it on air occasionally.

Bye bye Backstrom as well, down to a 1.0. http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-ratings-2-5-2015.html

It's a damn shame. I thought last night was the best episode yet.

NBC's problem with Allegiance is that The Americans has no buzz other than with internet critics. It doesn't win awards and gets awful ratings even by basic cable in 2015 standards. Trying to make a successful show by ripping off The Americans is like trying to become the most popular member of TV gaf by posting like me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Although I don't know if I would want to be a TV critics and sit through weeks of TCAs and recap shows I hate every week (actually, I guess I probably would love to do that considering the alternatives :p), it's kind of fun to have an essay on a tumblr go semi-viral, to the point where the father of the kid who plays Eddie is tweeting at me. My fifteen seconds of fame are here! lol

ivysaur12

Banned
Bye bye Backstrom as well, down to a 1.0. http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/the-sked-thursday-ratings-2-5-2015.html

It's a damn shame. I thought last night was the best episode yet.

NBC's problem with Allegiance is that The Americans has no buzz other than with internet critics. It doesn't win awards and gets awful ratings even by basic cable in 2015 standards. Trying to make a successful show by ripping off The Americans is like trying to become the most popular member of TV gaf by posting like me.

The Americans has plenty of buzz, it's just not really an awards darling. That's sort of how I separate the two, if that makes sense.

beat

Although I don't know if I would want to be a TV critics and sit through weeks of TCAs and recap shows I hate every week (actually, I guess I probably would love to do that considering the alternatives :p), it's kind of fun to have an essay on a tumblr go semi-viral, to the point where the father of the kid who plays Eddie is tweeting at me. My fifteen seconds of fame are here! lol
That guy has been a columnist about Asian-American issues since probably before his son was born.

(I like him, more or less, but one time I replied to a column of his by email -- this was before Twitter -- and he auto-added me to his mailing list, which was Not Cool.)

GOOD GOD. I remember that. That... That was awful. What was NBC thinking?
I liked Paul Reiser's show, or at least the potential of it. The problem of setting it up like a Curb type show is that Reiser and Larry David have different comic personas and a tone that works for David didn't work for Reiser.

I'll ask here because I don't want to be spoiled.

I watched Continuum S1 and god I really liked it. Now, I know there are S2 and S3... is there a S4 in the works or something? (I'm sure I read something like that)

Please, if anyone could help me :<!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That guy has been a columnist about Asian-American issues since probably before his son was born.

(I like him, more or less, but one time I replied to a column of his by email -- this was before Twitter -- and he auto-added me to his mailing list, which was Not Cool.)
Oh yeah? That's cool to be noticed by him. What a coincidence that his son is part of the biggest cultural moment for Asian Americans of this generation!

I liked Paul Reiser's show, or at least the potential of it. The problem of setting it up like a Curb type show is that Reiser and Larry David have different comic personas and a tone that works for David didn't work for Reiser.
Well, that and being network TV, there was no way it'd ever be as dark as Curb.

I'll ask here because I don't want to be spoiled.

I watched Continuum S1 and god I really liked it. Now, I know there are S2 and S3... is there a S4 in the works or something? (I'm sure I read something like that)

Please, if anyone could help me :<!
Yeah, S4 will be the last one.

Oh yeah? That's cool to be noticed by him. What a coincidence that his son is part of the biggest cultural moment for Asian Americans of this generation!

Well, that and being network TV, there was no way it'd ever be as dark as Curb.

Yeah, S4 will be the last one.

Thaaaanks!!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Sober

Allegiance is okay, the premise is fine enough that there's enough drama to mine out of it, but I don't know if it's going to be anything critically acclaimable. I don't really get the impression it's a The-Americans-me-too other than the basic broad premise and that breaks that pretty quickly too. I'll maybe give it a few more episodes to see where they want to take it but it seems like it's built more to dangle plots around over character stuff - granted there's a few good moments, but just a few.

Also the show is a bit tone deaf or something. The music is like sometimes way too sanitized or jumpy for certain moments when it should be tense, or the show is trying to have a moment of levity but overdoes it and it just feels really off to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom