• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Feb |OT| Stern retires after failed attempt to bring pro basketball to NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

RT @JonesOnTheNBA: Rockets RT @HowardBeck: Kyle Lowry (East) and Goran Dragic (West) named NBA players of the week.

Whooooo Whoooooo...and Lin had his first career triple double last week too! The Rockets: where guards go to train to become potential all-stars! We're like the muthafuckin hyperbolic time chamber. Morey is Mr. Popo!

linsivvi

No one who can get drafted in the first round should go back to school. That's just stupid.

Being able to learn how to play in college is simply a myth. That additional millions of dollars you earn would allow you to hire the best coaches and personal trainers to teach you everything you need.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I kind of feel bad for Mike Brown. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't see how he'll ever get a head coaching job again.

thats the problem you can't be too nice with players. Your their coach not their buddy, somehow some way you got to maintain a leadership role with them. Thats the whole issue and a guy like waiters who i assume is knuclehead is the last person somebody who has issues with maintaining control over his players needs to deal with

giri

thats the problem you can't be too nice with players. Your their coach not their buddy, somehow some way you got to maintain a leadership role with them. Thats the whole issue and a guy like waiters who i assume is knuclehead is the last person somebody who has issues with maintaining control over his players needs to deal with

Some of that isn't on the coach though. A lot of GM's will tell coaches they have to play player x this amount. Or the GM won't agree with a coach telling a player to go home for a week.

And the Cavs GM is p.bad.

Not that i think Brown is a brilliant coach or anything, but he's never been given the proper support at the cavs either.

Really, any player that doesn't conform to good culture should be shown the door immediately. Its why i always hated beasley on the suns. And why when a re-build was imminent j-rich had to go. And Gortat.

Good team culture is really underrated part of good franchises.

Some of that isn't on the coach though. A lot of GM's will tell coaches they have to play player x this amount. Or the GM won't agree with a coach telling a player to go home for a week.

And the Cavs GM is p.bad.

Not that i think Brown is a brilliant coach or anything, but he's never been given the proper support at the cavs either.

Really, any player that doesn't conform to good culture should be shown the door immediately. Its why i always hated beasley on the suns. And why when a re-build was imminent j-rich had to go. And Gortat.

Good team culture is really underrated part of good franchises.

The gm and the coach have to work unison for that to work.

The Mailman was a color commentator for ESPN’s telecast of the Utah Jazz-Golden State Warriors game on Friday night and talked about how much he likes Griffin. He then explained what advice he would offer the Clippers forward.

“I would love to spend some time with Blake Griffin,” Malone said. “I love that kid. First thing I’d do [is say], ‘Blake, the next time one guy cheap shots you, just lose your mind. I would pay your fine. Lose your mind, run roughshod … if a coach grab you, throw him too and say ‘I’m sorry coach.’

“I love the way this kid plays. I don’t like the cheap shots that people take at him,” Malone said.

Heh?

giri

I love Malone, but no. Blake shouldn't get himself suspended by fighting back. It won't make people like or respect him any more. It will just get him more critics and hurt the team.

And, as Ron Artest can confirm, being known for getting involved in fights tends to make ref's quicker to give you a technical, even if you were just in the vicinity and not involved.

exarkun

Barkley and Shaq have both been saying this since december. Both love the way he plays, the fact that he has a post game and can play OK D, but both also hate that he keeps taking cheap shots. Inside had a montage of the cheapshots he'd taken that month, and it was about 8 or 9 really bad cheap shots.

Mailman was a dirty douche, but all three were great post guys, and they all agree on the same thing. Across different talkshows/networks, even. I think he should do it. If you watch the clippers play, when he gets whacked he walks away and does "the right thing." But after taking so many, hes gotta make a statement on the court.

And Barnes won't keep getting these fines for soft ass pusses. Lord knows CP3 isn't gonna do anything. Or DumbAndre

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
No one who can get drafted in the first round should go back to school. That's just stupid.

Being able to learn how to play in college is simply a myth. That additional millions of dollars you earn would allow you to hire the best coaches and personal trainers to teach you everything you need.

I disagree about the development part...why do you think they made the NBDL?

g23

European pre-madonna
Just makes me pissed to remember how short Roy's career was. He could have been so much more. He had that "hero" gene that players like Kobe, Jordan had.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Just makes me pissed to remember how short Roy's career was. He could have been so much more. He had that "hero" gene that players like Kobe, Jordan had.

Just his game was so smooth...

It's hard to compare his game to anyone's

giri

Just his game was so smooth...

It's hard to compare his game to anyone's

Particularly as he hadn't finished his game. He was still working on ways to get others more involved in plays and just rounding out his game.

What we saw wasn't the finished skill set.

But, we'll never know.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Roy was my favorite player. I just loved watching him play.

Dude could get from the three point line to the rack, without being touched. He was a phantom.

Kyrie has a little Roy in him, but maybe not enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Healthy Brandon Roy would've been amazing for years to come... But he had issues playing within a motion/running offense that wasn't built around his skillset (isolation ball with a high pick outside the three point line, then breaking down the defense on said high pick, and then determining whether to drive or kick the ball out the corner or dish on pick-and-pops with bigs, or make crazy-degree-of-difficulty layups).

He might have eventually evolved into that guy that could play within any type of offense, but he certainly wasn't quiet about not having the offense always run through him while he was on the floor when Andre came to town.

That's as much of a criticism Roy will ever get from me, though.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The Wizards should have a better record than what they currently have...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Roy wouldn't have embarrassed the top SG position like Harden has, thats for sure.

Roy probably would've averaged closed to 30PPG in an offensive system (and well, just today's high-paced season) if he was in an offense better than 86poss/game that Portland played at (they are at 95.5poss/game this season).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom