• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in one post season, a trailblazer found a rattlesnake under his locker and a electricity malfunction knocked out all of the AC for 4 hours.

Did the spurs management build the facilities themselves instead of buying it, too? #builtnotbought

J2 Cool

The sad thing about the cramps debacle is how unfunny the media is. They focus on it to ridiculous lengths to defend Lebron when nobody really cares, they're just having fun with it.

Completely obscures any fun talk about what was a really anticipated game 1 but I think we got a hell of a game with multiple hall of famers throwing punches for 48 minutes. The first half was a hell of a lot of fun too with the threes the teams were draining. I love this matchup. I think more interesting is talk about how the game changes if Lebron stays in, where was it headed. And how much does a game 1 win help the Spurs, now they can play looser with gam 1 win under their belt.

Espi

Banned
The sad thing about the cramps debacle is how unfunny the media is. They focus on it to ridiculous lengths to defend Lebron when nobody really cares, they're just having fun with it.

I believe there's a lot of people taking this dead serious. LeBron could tie his sneakers wrong and people would complain, then inevitably Jordan who did no wrong is brought up. Something like "Jordan would've taken off his sneakers and still put up 50"

agrajag

Banned
So in one post season, a trailblazer found a rattlesnake under his locker and a electricity malfunction knocked out all of the AC for 4 hours.

Did the spurs management build the facilities themselves instead of buying it, too? #builtnotbought

H.H. Holmes built their facilities.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
#Lebroning is a thing
Bpd7ZdICcAAj9xX.jpg:large

effzee

I dunno how you can be soft and help take a team to 4 straight finals.

How do you forget 37 in game seven of the Finals. How?!

Internet is a weird place.

Because when a large portion of the fanbase hates a player it doesn't matter how many times he makes the right play, wins the game, carries the team to championships, as long as he messes up once it proves them right.

Also Jordan. Jordan never missed a shot, game, lost a playoffs game, or had a bad night overall. Until Lebron has more rings than Jordan, more MVPs, and somehow does it all against tougher competition and with less help he will always be only just good but not Jordan good.

They have 3 star players. Is that not what people expected when they came together?

Plus the East has been both bad and banged up the last couple seasons.

East has been terrible for over a decade. You either need to recognize and accept that or stop watching basketball.

And they have 3 star players just like most all NBA champs have had. They all have at least 2 all stars and a possible 3rd. Hell the Spurs have had that their entire run with Duncan.

To discount whatever Miami does because they have stars would mean you discount all Lakers championships, all Celtics championships, and basically any great team/dynasty.

Completely obscures any fun talk about what was a really anticipated game 1 but I think we got a hell of a game with multiple hall of famers throwing punches for 48 minutes. The first half was a hell of a lot of fun too with the threes the teams were draining. I love this matchup. I think more interesting is talk about how the game changes if Lebron stays in, where was it headed. And how much does a game 1 win help the Spurs, now they can play looser with gam 1 win under their belt.

BRO HAVE U EVER HAD A CRAMP! HAVE YOU! IT'S NOT FUNNY MAN U CAN'T PLAY WITH IT OMFG

effzee

#Lebroning is a thing
Bpd7ZdICcAAj9xX.jpg:large

Stay classy Spurs fans.

I wonder what the reaction would be if say Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili got hurt and then Heat fans were mocking the injury.

Makes me realize that no matter what now Lebron is forever going to be hated by the majority of fans who hate players taking their destinies in their own hands.

Cloudy

Banned

The NBA doesn't like their marquee star being mocked. ESPN makes a ton of money as an NBA partner so they have to cape up for Bron.

Outside of ESPN, folks can see the fun of it. Thing is, ESPN is such a monopoly and most folks there take the company line

Stay classy Spurs fans.

I wonder what the reaction would be if say Duncan, Parker, or Ginobili got hurt and then Heat fans were mocking the injury.

Makes me realize that no matter what now Lebron is forever going to be hated by the majority of fans who hate players taking their destinies in their own hands.

its easy to root against a guy who did it in such a douchey manner. no one hated on shaq or reggie white or whatever other big name player who left one team for another in pursuit of a championship

effzee

BRO HAVE U EVER HAD A CRAMP! HAVE YOU! IT'S NOT FUNNY MAN U CAN'T PLAY WITH IT OMFG

Its equally as stupid as the internet and general fan reaction that a. automatically claims Jordan would have just gotten right back in the game no matter the injury and b. Lebron is soft.

At least the sports media reaction is factually correct. The Jordan/Kobe stans are in fantasy land.

On my facebook feed today a Rangers fan claims Lebron is soft because in hockey players get right back up from a broken jaw and play. Never mind that the Rangers player (Steffan?) who had his jaw broken missed a few games before returning.

When it comes to Lebron logic is thrown out and its all about how much you hate the guy.....for FA?

effzee

its easy to root against a guy who did it in such a douchey manner. no one hated on shaq or reggie white or whatever other big name player who left one team for another in pursuit of a championship

No one hated on them because it was a different era. Before the internet era.

But overall the Lebron hate is just weird. It existed from before he came to Miami but def did explode afterwards. They hate him because he used his right to choose where to play? Oh no! Oh the humanity!

Ok the Decision show was douchey but it was a fundraiser for kids. And outside of that moment and that first season with the heat where he became a villain (I guess he still is seeing all the reactions) he has never had any issues off the court. Model citizen and handles himself with class. But yeah lets hate him but root for guys accused or rape, forced a draft day trade to play in LA, leave teams on the regular to play for bigger market teams, force trades to their preferred destinations, beat up their wives, do drugs, or drink and drive!

Makes sense!

Pastry

Banned

I hate to say it but it all goes back to The Decision and the spectacle that was created out of it. I don't remember the Lebron hate being anywhere near this level prior to that. I recall there being plenty of respect for
Lebron from Spurs fans during the Spurs/Cavs finals.

effzee

The NBA doesn't like their marquee star being mocked. ESPN makes a ton of money as an NBA partner so they have to cape up for Bron.

Outside of ESPN, folks can see the fun of it. Thing is, ESPN is such a monopoly and most folks there take the company line

Yes they are all mind controlled robots. Couldn't be that they just seem to have an opinion based in reality.

So now we bring up humor. They aren't funny or cant' take a joke. This is the criticism now? Just like some of you guys believe they bring up excused to defend him, the Lebron haters have the weirdest things to nitpick about when it comes to him or the coverage of him.

Where is all this hyper criticism of Durant?

But overall the Lebron hate is just weird. It existed from before he came to Miami but def did explode afterwards. They hate him because he used his right to choose where to play? Oh no! Oh the humanity!

Ok the Decision show was douchey but it was a fundraiser for kids. And outside of that moment and that first season with the heat where he became a villain (I guess he still is seeing all the reactions) he has never had any issues off the court. Model citizen and handles himself with class. But yeah lets hate him but root for guys accused or rape, forced a draft day trade to play in LA, leave teams on the regular to play for bigger market teams, force trades to their preferred destinations, beat up their wives, do drugs, or drink and drive!

Makes sense!

I don't get myself either man people just love to hate.

Effnine

I had no idea GAF had so many professional athlete posters with the in-depth knowledge of what it means to get cramps at an uber elite level of competition ... bravo guys ...

It was Game 1, the Heat actually looked good ... all they have to do is split ....

Jonm1010

Banned
I hate to say it but it all goes back to The Decision and the spectacle that was created out of it. I don't remember the Lebron hate being anywhere near this level prior to that. I recall there being plenty of respect for
Lebron from Spurs fans during the Spurs/Cavs finals.
Yeah almost everyone I know that cheers against Miami and James is rooted in "The Decision."

It was just such an arrogant and out of touch way to deal with the situation that also came off dickish, entitled and showed him buying into the media's crowning of him before he had truly earned it.

The fact that after he made the decision it was basically to form a super team and then he came out with even more arrogance with the rock show type intro and proclaiming how many championships they will win. Just rubbed lots of people the wrong way. Me included.

I still respect the hell out of the guy's game and he's shown he's the best in the game right now by far, but he hasn't have me any reason to cheer for him and probably never will.

Effnine

The noise is embarrassing.

The real story isn't the A/C, or Lebron having cramps. The story is a team that falls apart in the last 5 minutes of the game. This is on Wade, Chalmers, Bosh, Birdman, Allen...

I am almost positive that is Erik's takeaway from this game. They make some adjustments, focus on their strengths, block the right guys...there's no reason they can't break Spur spirits in Game 2 at their own home. I expect it, in fact.

Exactly ...

Makes sense!

there were (are!) a number of things at play there:

1. "the decision" was garbage. painfully embarrassing the entire thing
2. people in general like to root for an underdog. i don't want to say it's human nature but it's just kind of out there. so lebron going to miami and hooking up with a couple other superstars came across as basically a cheat code in a videogame. it's like if i told you hey bruh i beat dark souls without ever dying once by using a cheat bot! you'd probably say fuck off you loser do it the old fashioned way
3. not that i blame him, but it's kind of like he "quit" in cleveland. this partially goes back to #2. jordan had some lean early years in chicago and he improved his game and became what he became. he never left to join another superstar or anything like that. he took the burden on himself and willed the bulls to a dynasty. lebron knew he could never be that guy in cleveland for whatever the reasons were. so he leaves and gets help from another couple superstars

i don't hate lebron as i said. he comes off as a fake leader in his interviews and on the floor but he is an incredible talent

Jonm1010

Banned

The real story isn't the A/C, or Lebron having cramps. The story is a team that falls apart in the last 5 minutes of the game. This is on Wade, Chalmers, Bosh, Birdman, Allen...

I am almost positive that is Erik's takeaway from this game. They make some adjustments, focus on their strengths, block the right guys...there's no reason they can't break Spur spirits in Game 2 at their own home. I expect it, in fact.

And now the very people who hate him needlessly and dance over his injuries fall into this same category. The difference is one person on a side of the aisle grew up, matured, became selfish, played basketball, moved it, gave to his teammates, and helped them win 2 championships.

The rest are still moaning and posting pictures of their kids on the internet.
Way to generalize. Frankly I think most people are just having fun with it and a number of people who are claiming he should of played through it are just immature or trolling for the fun of it.

If James comes back and lights up the spurs next game the narrative some are trying to write will be completely erased and all that will be left is how lebron came back and showed why he's the greatest. If he handles this right, this whole incident will actually add to his legacy in the long run, not take away from it.

Why are people so surprised Lebron and the Heat are hated? Have you seen the poll on ESPN? It's like a FDR landslide with only Florida rooting for them.

How anyone would be surprised is a mystery to me.

KingGondo

Banned
jordan had some lean early years in chicago and he improved his game and became what he became. he never left to join another superstar or anything like that. he took the burden on himself and willed the bulls to a dynasty.
That's an incredibly simplistic way to look at Jordan.

He had Pippen, Horace Grant, Rodman, and some other nice role players around him. And let's not forget the greatest head coach of all time.

LeBron never had shit around him in Cleveland, and his coach was this guy:

lebron knew he could never be that guy in cleveland for whatever the reasons were. so he leaves and gets help from another couple superstars
LeBron's roster wasn't really championship-caliber in Cleveland. The on-court results were anybody's fault but his.

Some of their rash roster decisions can be attributed to the Cavs' desire to appease him, though.

And while you can take issue with him Game Genie-ing the NBA by joining up with Bosh and Wade, the Heat are a genuinely great and unique team, and they play as a team--not as a collection of superstars.

And now the very people who hate him needlessly and dance over his injuries fall into this same category. The difference is one person on a side of the aisle grew up, matured, became selfish, played basketball, moved it, gave to his teammates, and helped them win 2 championships.

The rest are still moaning and posting pictures of their kids on the internet.

Great post. On the first point, yep the heat team totally fell apart when lebron went out, it is not like the team is full of scrubs, it is inexcusable to play that poorly.

As for lebron it is ridiculous. The worst thing he has ever done was make a douchey TV show to announce where he is playing, and it so happened to raise money for charity. That is it. He has spent 4 years doing all the right things, being the best teamate possible, being the best leader possible, being as good a role model as there is in sports, being a great sports man who doesn't make excuses and simply plays hard.

All that still is not enough for some people, it is sad.

That's an incredibly simplistic way to look at Jordan.

He had Pippen, Horace Grant, Rodman, and some other nice role players around him. And let's not forget the greatest head coach of all time.

LeBron never had shit around him in Cleveland, and his coach was this guy:

Nope, doubt Mike Brown even coached on offense.

AnOvM2

Feep

Banned
And while you can take issue with him Game Genie-ing the NBA by joining up with Bosh and Wade, the Heat are a genuinely great and unique team, and they play as a team--not as a collection of superstars.
I do really enjoy this about the Heat. Him passing to Bosh in Game 5 against the Pacers is the correct basketball team play.

Your job as an NBA team, on an given play, is to find the highest available percentage shot on the court. This doesn't change if there are seven seconds left. All this "only superstars should take the shot" bullshit annoys me.

Spinluck

I like watching Lebron play (when he's not traveling or flopping), but it's fairly easy to understand why people root against him and the Heat. Now the incessant LeBron hate is weird, some people done lost it.

Staging that photo requires at least three fans and a photographer, which we all know Miami doesn't have.

Hur hur. :p

From my point of view though why would Heat fans do that. Every fan base has it's fools so of course someone would mock the other team but in general what do Heat fans have against the Spurs. They are the most respectable team we face, we don't hate them, it is just great competition. All their guys are likeable, I wouldn't want to see them hurt. Why would we mock a spurs player for getting hurt, that's stupid and petty. That said I understand spurs fans have a far bigger gripe cause they lost last year.

Espi

Banned
KD has much fewer haters cos he isn't winning anything. When you're on top, you get hate. That's how social media works..

When LeBron wasn't winning and had to carry rec league level talent he was still getting hate.

Winning doesn't mean shit. People know Durant will never be that good so he doesn't get the attention. Kobe and Jordan dickriders fear that LeBron will pass them so everything that happens is

KOBE/JORDAN WOULD HAVE DID X IF Y HAPPENED! LOL LEBRON

Squalor

People coddle Kevin Durant.

I'm a fan of his game, but it's absolutely true.

Hell, Westbrook takes more heat than Durant, and he's not even the best player on his team even though he thinks he is, haha.

Pastry

Banned
Everyone's favorite little mariachi dude is returning for the national anthem on Sunday. Wonder how many racist tweets we'll see this time.

People are doing those photos because they're happy they won (so you do dumb stuff) and it's a silly looking position. He wasn't injured, he had cramps. If he was getting carried off with a broken leg I would feel differently.

effzee

there were (are!) a number of things at play there:

1. "the decision" was garbage. painfully embarrassing the entire thing

Agreed but compared to all the shit players do...this is what he hold over Lebron now and forever? Its been 4 years and he has since proven himself over and over.

2. people in general like to root for an underdog. i don't want to say it's human nature but it's just kind of out there. so lebron going to miami and hooking up with a couple other superstars came across as basically a cheat code in a videogame. it's like if i told you hey bruh i beat dark souls without ever dying once by using a cheat bot! you'd probably say fuck off you loser do it the old fashioned way

I get the underdog angle. I always rooted for the underdog and with the immense hate the Heat and Lebron received, he sort of became the underdog in my eyes. My own team sucks donkey balls and unless they hit a homerun in this up coming draft they will continue to do so. Its fun to watch the Heat because as much as fans claim Spurs are all about ball movement and team ball, so are the Heat.

As for the superstar angle, so what? Almost all NBA dynasties were built around 2-3 great players if not HOF players. So why were those not hated? Oh because this time the players took it into their own hands and formed the team? Is it only ok if a GM does it? Why is it so wrong for players to take control? What if Lebron never got those players in Cleveland? He should have just stayed, waited, and hoped a competent GM would be hired and then that GM would make all the right draft and FA moves?

Lebron took it upon himself.

3. not that i blame him, but it's kind of like he "quit" in cleveland. this partially goes back to #2. jordan had some lean early years in chicago and he improved his game and became what he became. he never left to join another superstar or anything like that. he took the burden on himself and willed the bulls to a dynasty. lebron knew he could never be that guy in cleveland for whatever the reasons were. so he leaves and gets help from another couple superstars

i don't hate lebron as i said. he comes off as a fake leader in his interviews and on the floor but he is an incredible talent

He didn't quit on Cleveland. Played 7 seasons, played out his contract, told them he would test FA, and took them as far as he could. That was a garbage roster that plummeted right away after Lebron and now is drafting #1 overall two years in a row. Add to that a complete moron of an owner who talked about Lebron like he was some slave property, is it any wonder Lebron wanted to leave?

No one seems to give a shit that Chris Paul forced a trade to get the hell out of NO and join a super team (whether he went to Lakers or Clippers). Kobe forced a draft day trade to join the Lakers, Dwight complained and left Orlando, Melo told Denver he wanted out, Boston formed their own big 3 to win, or that every single champion outside of the 04 Pistons team won off the back of multiple superstars.

Nah but Lebron should do it all on his own and if he can't just say happy in Cleveland with a terrible owner, FO, clown coach, and a city no one wants to play in.

Jordan never had to leave because he did get his HOF players on his own team. What if Jordan stayed his whole career with the Bulls but they never acquired those players? You think he would have actually been happy? Not tried to force a trade? He stayed because he got the right players around him. He is very fortunate in that sense because his whole legacy could have been nothing if not for Pipen not emerging and Phil Jackson not taking over the team. I guess you could say Lebron should have waited for a similar development but why? Why not take matters into his own hands?

Why are people so surprised Lebron and the Heat are hated? Have you seen the poll on ESPN? It's like a FDR landslide with only Florida rooting for them.

How anyone would be surprised is a mystery to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply because they are champs and win a lot.

But its still based on stupid stuff from The Decision when players who have done actual crime have been long forgiven. Its based on this endless unfair comparison to Jordan. Its based on hating him because his rights as a FA to make his own decision rather than letting others decide what's best for him.

I bet if they were loosing people would still hate on Lebron. While his show was beyond stupid, it was for charity, and I have never seen such an event held against a player. Win or lose he gets hate. If he wins its because he "cheated". If he doesn't win its "LOL". Get hurt its "LOL"

effzee

People are doing those photos because they're happy they won (so you do dumb stuff) and it's a silly looking position. He wasn't injured, he had cramps. If he was getting carried off with a broken leg I would feel differently.

Yeah that's fair enough but you are delusional if you think it would be the same reaction if the Heat fans mocked a Spurs injured player after winning a game.

Methinks you don't like watching LeBron play.

On the other hand it was fun watching Parker, Ginobili, and Splitter flop around last night.

Agreed but compared to all the shit players do...this is what he hold over Lebron now and forever? Its been 4 years and he has since proven himself over and over.

I get the underdog angle. I always rooted for the underdog and with the immense hate the Heat and Lebron received, he sort of became the underdog in my eyes. My own team sucks donkey balls and unless they hit a homerun in this up coming draft they will continue to do so. Its fun to watch the Heat because as much as fans claim Spurs are all about ball movement and team ball, so are the Heat.

As for the superstar angle, so what? Almost all NBA dynasties were built around 2-3 great players if not HOF players. So why were those not hated? Oh because this time the players took it into their own hands and formed the team? Is it only ok if a GM does it? Why is it so wrong for players to take control? What if Lebron never got those players in Cleveland? He should have just stayed, waited, and hoped a competent GM would be hired and then that GM would make all the right draft and FA moves?

Lebron took it upon himself.

He didn't quit on Cleveland. Played 7 seasons, played out his contract, told them he would test FA, and took them as far as he could. That was a garbage roster that plummeted right away after Lebron and now is drafting #1 overall two years in a row. Add to that a complete moron of an owner who talked about Lebron like he was some slave property, is it any wonder Lebron wanted to leave?

No one seems to give a shit that Chris Paul forced a trade to get the hell out of NO and join a super team (whether he went to Lakers or Clippers). Kobe forced a draft day trade to join the Lakers, Dwight complained and left Orlando, Melo told Denver he wanted out, Boston formed their own big 3 to win, or that every single champion outside of the 04 Pistons team won off the back of multiple superstars.

Nah but Lebron should do it all on his own and if he can't just say happy in Cleveland with a terrible owner, FO, clown coach, and a city no one wants to play in.

Jordan never had to leave because he did get his HOF players on his own team. What if Jordan stayed his whole career with the Bulls but they never acquired those players? You think he would have actually been happy? Not tried to force a trade? He stayed because he got the right players around him. He is very fortunate in that sense because his whole legacy could have been nothing if not for Pipen not emerging and Phil Jackson not taking over the team. I guess you could say Lebron should have waited for a similar development but why? Why not take matters into his own hands?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply because they are champs and win a lot.

But its still based on stupid stuff from The Decision when players who have done actual crime have been long forgiven. Its based on this endless unfair comparison to Jordan. Its based on hating him because his rights as a FA to make his own decision rather than letting others decide what's best for him.

I bet if they were loosing people would still hate on Lebron. While his show was beyond stupid, it was for charity, and I have never seen such an event held against a player. Win or lose he gets hate. If he wins its because he "cheated". If he doesn't win its "LOL". Get hurt its "LOL"

just letting you know why people hold those things against lebron. i said i didn't blame him in some regards but that's the truth of the matter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom