• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

THRILLH0

Banned
And statistically he's the only player who matches or comes close to Jordan. Kobe isn't even in the discussion.
perrating.png

You obviously mean Wilt right?

Dr.Acula

Banned
A lot of shooting % has to do with shot selection as much as talent.

Kobe took a ton of midrange 2 point shots and almost always took the low % shot when the defense had the advantage or the shot clock was running out.

Lebron will almost always pass out of those situations and doesn't really have a midrange game.

As with everything stats only tell part of the story. I would say Kobe is the better offense player and Lebron is the better defensive player. But both are great and you could build your team around both. You could argue Kobe never played with as much talent as Lebron but at the same time Lebron never played with anyone as good as Shaq and Kobe also had the greatest coach if all time.

So Kobe > LeBron because he would chuck in a bad situation rather than try and make a play?

BadAss2961

Different era, most people take Wilt's stats with a grain of salt. He'd ride the bench in today's NBA.
I hope you're not serious.

I don't care what era it was, do you really think any of these stiff's playing center today could average the numbers he did? And play the kind of minutes he did?

He was a true big man with skills and an extraordinary athlete for his size. A physical phenom even by today's standards. Go look at him again.

bionic77

You said Kobe was the better offensive player. I thought you made the point that Kobe's shooting stats were lower because he took tougher shots, and that LeBron shrank away from moments.
Never said Lebron shrank away from moments. That is debatable and a really old and tired debate at that.

Offensively I do think that Kobe was the better offensive player. In his prime he is the greatest threat we have seen since the 90s when a certain player was tearing shit up*. My point about FG% and all stats is that you have to take them unto context. James takes more shots in the paint than Kobe did and Kobe took a ton of midrange jumpers (lowest % shot in basketball). This plus Kobe's willingness to take shots while the clock was running down explains SOME of the disparity in their %. Lebron is also more willing to pass and Kobe is more likely to force a shot. That is another reason. It is just an opinion. I will disagree with someone who says Bron was the better offensive player but it is debateable.

* talking about cedric the great of course. Fuck Jordan.

he along with wade was shown mocking Dirk in the 2011 finals claiming he wasn't sick like reported. Never mind dirk never said or made a big deal about being sick. They never won another game in the series.

F those guys

That's when I lost my respect for Lebron and Wade. They acted like the biggest spoiled brats while Dirk took them to town and won with grace while they ran off and sooked like girls lol.

I don't even like the Mavs that much but man but was just an awesome moment of sweet justice.

I can't play the game of basketball and live my life on what other people expect me to do or what they think I should do, that doesn't make me happy. What makes me happy is being able to make plays for my teammates, to be able to represent the name on the back of my jersey.

Man, I've never heard any athlete mention the back of the jersey from that ol' cliche.

Cloudy

Banned
I was re-watching the game on NBA TV tonight. Is Spoelstra really gonna let Duncan and Splitter keep getting layups like this? I don't think so.

I feel Birdman needs to start (over Rashard) but it may be a moot point if Pop starts Diaw to get another ballhandler out there. I don't think Pop will cede that advantage unless the turnovers keep happening though...

agrajag

Banned
I was re-watching the game on NBA TV tonight. Is Spoelstra really gonna let Duncan and Splitter keep getting layups like this? I don't think so.

I feel Birdman needs to start (over Rashard) but it may be a moot point if Pop starts Diaw to get another ballhandler out there. I don't think Pop will cede that advantage unless the turnovers keep happening though...

They should've started with James, Wade, Bosh, Birdman and Cole, with Cole covering Parker. Rashard had a decent game, but I agree, you have to go big against the Spurs. The big issue though, imo, is that Chalmers really shit the bed for the Heat. I hope Spoelstra doesn't start with him next game.

Cloudy

Banned
The big issue though, imo, is that Chalmers really shit the bed for the Heat.

He's been horrific all playoffs but it hasn't mattered till now. If they go down 0-2 (big if) and he plays bad, I fully expect to see Cole start at PG. If I were Miami, I'd also try a Wade, LeBron backcourt (with Rashard/Ray, Bosh and Birdman) and do 1/2 PnR

Fjordson

They should've started with James, Wade, Bosh, Birdman and Cole, with Cole covering Parker. Rashard had a decent game, but I agree, you have to go big against the Spurs. The big issue though, imo, is that Chalmers really shit the bed for the Heat. I hope Spoelstra doesn't start with him next game.
Chalmers really sucks. I know he's not always quite this bad, but the guy is trash (and a douche). Can't imagine anyone paying him much next year as a free agent.

Different era, most people take Wilt's stats with a grain of salt. He'd ride the bench in today's NBA.

Listen to this man. If Lebron played in Wilt's era, he would have averaged 80 points and 20 assists and 30 rebounds a game. He would have a career high of 200 points. Add the other Demi god dwade and we would be talking about not 10, not 15 but 18 championships and no one would know who Bill Russell is.

MVP

Banned
I hope you're not serious.

I don't care what era it was, do you really think any of these stiff's playing center today could average the numbers he did? And play the kind of minutes he did?

He was a true big man with skills and an extraordinary athlete for his size. A physical phenom even by today's standards. Go look at him again.

Easy to average 50 points a game and 30 rebounds when the average center in your era is 6'7 and weighs 230. Think of what position a 6'7 230 player plays in today's NBA. 230 pounds. 230.

I think you mean is the average heat fan the dumbest of all sports.

Read above, dumbass.

dorkkaos

Listen to this man. If Lebron played in Wilt's era, he would have averaged 80 points and 20 assists and 30 rebounds a game. He would have a career high of 200 points. Add the other Demi god dwade and we would be talking about not 10, not 15 but 18 championships and no one would know who Bill Russell is.

It's really hard to compare players in different eras. You can't say Lebron would average those points and assists, etc.

Rules would be way different. Healthcare, court conditions, hell you don't even get paid as much. Most NBA players back then had a job outside of playing ball. You thought it was bad in the spurs without AC? They had no central air haha. Most of the moves that are considered "normal" these days were just being invented back then.

It's disrespectful to go "Lebron would totally dominate this and that era". Especially to the players who played through those times.

Anyway, I have no problems with lebron getting cramps. It happens. What I do have issue with is Dwade disappearing. He was doing so well in the first half, I don't understand why he couldn't do it in the 4th. Oh well. (I want the Spurs to win anyway haha)

It's really hard to compare players in different eras. You can't say Lebron would average those points and assists, etc.

Rules would be way different. Healthcare, court conditions, hell you don't even get paid as much. Most NBA players back then had a job outside of playing ball. You thought it was bad in the spurs without AC? They had no central air haha. Most of the moves that are considered "normal" these days were just being invented back then.

It's disrespectful to go "Lebron would totally dominate this and that era". Especially to the players who played through those times.

Anyway, I have no problems with lebron getting cramps. It happens. What I do have issue with is Dwade disappearing. He was doing so well in the first half, I don't understand why he couldn't do it in the 4th. Oh well. (I want the Spurs to win anyway haha)

I was being sarcastic =) I thought the 200 points in one game would give it away...guess not.

edit: btw, I think Wilt would dominate the sorry excuses for Centers in today's NBA. An aging Wilt held his own against a young Kareem. By his logic, Kareem would also be riding the pine in today's NBA...lol

dorkkaos

I was being sarcastic =) I thought the 200 points in one game would give it away...guess not.

edit: btw, I think Wilt would dominate the sorry excuses for Centers in today's NBA. An aging Wilt held his own against a young Kareem. By his logic, Kareem would also be riding the pine in today's NBA...lol

Oh, sorry haha. I've seen people who were serious about that prediction, sadly. There isn't as much great centers these days sadly. It's even kinda sad to hear that Anthony Davis wants a 3 point shot. :(

Oh man, Kareem, he was in the NBA for so long haha. He adapted really well with his aging body too! I think it would be fun to see both Wilt and Kareem in their prime play in today's league. Especially since it's dominated by so many wing players.

BadAss2961

Easy to average 50 points a game and 30 rebounds when the average center in your era is 6'7 and weighs 230. Think of what position a 6'7 230 player plays in today's NBA. 230 pounds. 230.
Wow, you're actually serious? Fucking Heat fans.

Just look at Wilt's size, skill, athletic ability, and tell me why he couldn't be a top center in today's game? Had he played today, he'd still be one of the longest guys in the league. He'd still be more skilled and in MUCH better shape than anyone his size. Dude used to run the point, play full games all the time, and run marathons.

Dwight is probably still the best center in the league, and he's pretty meh right now and not even that tall.

MVP

Banned

Just look at Wilt's size, skill, athletic ability, and tell me why he couldn't be a top center in today's game? Had he played today, he'd still be one of the longest guys in the league. He'd still be more skilled and in MUCH better shape than anyone his size. Dude used to run the point, play full games all the time, and run marathons.

Dwight is probably still the best center in the league, and he's pretty meh right now and not even that tall.

Sadly, you really think you know what you're talking about. There's a reason Wilt is not on any top 5 list or anybody's Mount Rushmore, despite his sick stats. Go read some Spiderman comic and stay out of NBA threads, fucking comic book nerd.

dorkkaos

"Chamberlain, who reportedly had a 50-inch vertical leap,[143] was physically capable of converting foul shots via a slam dunk without a running start (beginning his movement at the top of the key).[144] When his dunks practically undermined the difficulty of a foul shot, both the NCAA[145] and the NBA banned his modus operandi.[3][109]"

Wilt was sick. He's a freak of nature. It makes you appreciate Bill Russel more. Bill was smart to be able to slow him down.

Honestly, all this attention on Lebron has to stop. Maybe he needs to lose this one and go somewhere else. My god I would hate all this attention for getting cramps. Anyway, please win this SA.

If Wilt trained today, and hehe with all the drugs in the NBA, he would be a monster, though still pretty slim I suppose compared to hulks. He would still be unstoppable.

I NEVER get the idea that idiotic fans think you can just take a fucking 70s player, in any sport, and just enter him into today's game. How about we put a little thought into this and realize he'd still be the same height, just with a lot of performance gains because of the modern era and drugs. Anyone who thinks Wilt or Kareem could not play in the NBA today, I'm sorry, is an imbecile. These guys would absolutely dominate today.

Sadly, you really think you know what you're talking about. There's a reason Wilt is not on any top 5 list or anybody's Mount Rushmore, despite his sick stats. Go read some Spiderman comic and stay out of NBA threads, fucking comic book nerd.

When you got nothing left in the tank or can't argue intelligently throw out some Hail Mary ad hominem's.

Well to be fair, some people pick Bill Russell to be on their Mount Rushmore and that's mostly because of his 11 rings. Unfortunately for Wilt, he had to go up against Russell's Celtics every time he went to the finals (except when he played the Knicks twice, winning one of them ). Unfortunately, Russell had the superior team with Jones, Havlicek, and Cousy.

Most people don't put Shaq or Hakeem on their Rushmore either but they would dominate even more in today's NBA.

Of course if you are talking about the PER stats vs MJ and Lebron, I agree Wilt stats are inflated because of his era but I can also argue Lebron stats are also inflated because of his era. Lebron doesn't have to drive into a sea of giants every time he goes to the paint. He doesn't have to deal with hand checking. MJ had to go through a lot more for his stats against tougher competition.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Actually the reason people don't put him on mt. Rushmore as you say is because he didn't win as many championships as he could and was easily flustered by stronger willed players.....kinda like Lebron lol

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
lol that MVP meltdown was worth every second. Hot damn I love NBA threads, no other thread has people getting that emotional over a non-argument. Just too much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom