• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
856207582.gif

this fucking guy.

i hope he gets fined with that shit.
Another example of why I can't stand this guy. Ugh

My most hated NBA player going.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It looks like he may have actually hit his face. It's hard to see from this angle and the fast swipe but take a look at how his hand subtly bounces a bit when it passes over his face. He overreacts for sure though.

njean777

I'm really not a James hater. I don't like the whole decision thing but.... he is fine with me.

What I don't like is what started in the late 90s and festered into what we have now. The allegations, the refs, the money, the drugs, etc. I can enjoy parts of it, but I do find myself sadly leaning away from basketball the more I watch it.

And I guess because I was a good basketball player and played for years. It was my hobby. I just can't identify with it anymore and it hurts.

Professional sports in general always conjure controversy. I don't see how the NBA is any different from any other sport. This is just how professional sports are.

bionic77

I thought Ginobli was over sucking balls?

Dude was so horrible at the end of the game.

Credit to the Heat for taking the Spurs out of their offense at the end of the game, but man Gino was a ball stopper for a team that totally relies on ball movement. That weird elbow to Parker seemed to take them out of their offense but he came back with more than enough time to still make a difference. He and Duncan barely touched the ball at the end of the game. I think Leonard fouling out also killed them.

But again credit to the Heat. The game was up for grabs at the end of the game and they made more plays.

I picked the Spurs but every quarter makes me either affirm or question my pick. Ginobli and Leonard need to play better though if the Spurs are going to win.

He must be really fun at parties too.

he used to go to parties but now he just can't identify with them anymore and it hurts.

Anyhow, heat in 6 if they defend the way they did in the second half for the end of the remainder of the games. They stopped the spurs from getting their 3 point game going and made the paint damn near impenetrable.

Pimpwerx

No one here EVER said it isn't evolving. And let's not get ahead of ourselves with the fact that Phil Jackson's teams did a whole bunch of this stuff back in the 90s and other teams did this way before then too. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here? That zone originated in the 21st century lol?

What is being said is that evolution, or whatever you want to call it, cannot just be assigned characteristics that make it out to be better in every respect. That is not an inherent characteristic of evolution. I have put forth a good deal of exposition on why this essentialist viewpoint is garbage. People played zone in the 90s bud.

http://www.people.vcu.edu/~rsleeth/TriangleOffense.html

Give a read to see just how old that triangle offense really is. It will blow your mind. Also notice how the people that are commenting on why the triangle works say it is because of Scottie and Jordan, in other words it works because of individual skill. And there aren't too many people on their level of skill on defense for sure. On offense only Lebron, Wade, and Duncan would even come close.
You have not explained why the game has regressed. You need to explain the cause since it undermines any other point you can try to make. Qualitative analysis is subjective. This is a fundamental flaw in this argument. I don't think you quite get what I'm saying in that regard. Why would any sport be competitively worse 20 years later. It makes no sense, and isn't supported by any realistic metric. There was a brief period in time where I believe zones and hand checking overlapped, but you're talking about a year or two in the late 90s, not an entire era. The 80s was an era of no defense. Pace was high, and DRTG was as well meaning they gave up more points per possession. The 90s was also mostly bad. Hand checking wasn't some major hurdle. How else did Jordan average such gaudy numbers, while being arguably weaker than Wade? Jordan weighed less than Wade, even though he was taller. That often means he was carrying less muscle and was this less strong. Yet he had no problem with the hand checks. Would the bigger, stronger and more talented players of today have more problems somehow?

The cause for the loss of basketball knoewldge and talent in the 20 years since the fall of the atomic superman. What is it? Let's try to apply some logic here, instead of just assuming the tooth fairy exists just because we found money under our pillow. PEACE.

Fjordson

Man, so serious up in here. Fuck the Heat, always, but the NBA game is pretty damn good today I think. And the Heat are a good team. It's a bummer, but whatever, they're better. Sometimes the bad guys win like in Empire Strikes Back. It happens.

Besides, next year Steve Kerr will implement the almighty triangle offense in Golden State and we'll dethrone Miami. Kevin Love will demand a trade to GS and form a new big 3 with Curry and Steve Blake. Trust me.

Joeki11a

Banned
Bad game all around yesterday, neck n neck affair due to both teams being spent. Lebron had to kill himself to have his team barely win.

If Wade isn't fined for that bull crap, then I don't know. Heat fans liked to point out the Stephenson fines (deserved), but there's no way to excuse this typical Wade garbage.

Jag

If Wade isn't fined for that bull crap, then I don't know. Heat fans liked to point out the Stephenson fines (deserved), but there's no way to excuse this typical Wade garbage.

Not excusing it at all. Bring on the fine. $5k well spent.

Siegcram

The fines don't have an actual effect (or point even) so why bother.
This goes for everyone, not just Heat players.

For flopping to go away (or be reduced, let's be real here), there would have to be serious ramifications in-game and not the equivalent of a Goldman-Sachs fine.

Zapages

These were the reasons why I stopped watching basketball after the days of Jordan, Hakeem, Ewing, and company....

I can't compare Lebron, Wade or anyone to Jordan or any of the greats of 90s because of the things that they have done in last night's game.

I really hope the Spurs win for the karma and antics of the Heats.

Siegcram

These were the reasons why I stopped watching basketball after the days of Jordan, Hakeem, Ewing, and company....

I can't compare Lebron, Wade or anyone to Jordan or any of the greats of 90s because of the things that they have done in last night's game.

lol wat

bionic77

Spurs choked away last years finals because of FTs

And last night they missed 4 in a row.

How can a team as fundamentally sound as the Spurs suck so much at the line? They only shot 60% last night. Even the Lakers with Shaq would usually do better than that.

You only miss FTs because of 3 things. Lack of skill, nerves or exhaustion. It ain't the first one so I would guess they are tired or are choking. I am leaning towards the choke.

I think what he was trying to say was because of the things that Lebron, Wade or anyone did in last night's game that they aren't Jordan or any of the greats of 90s and that he really hopes that the Spurs win for the karma and antics of the heat.

It's pretty clear to me that the problem is that they don't have the right karma and antics of the 90's greats of jordan or anyone of the greats

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Lol wade did it against ginobili, a dude known to do that shit more notoriously than everyone else in the league. Its about time he gets a taste of what he has been doing all these years.

IIRC Ginobili actually tried to do it later in the game too. They didn't do a up close replay to show it tho.

bionic77

I think what he was trying to say was because of the things that Lebron, Wade or anyone did in last night's game that they aren't Jordan or any of the greats of 90s and that he really hopes that the Spurs win for the karma and antics of the heat.

It's pretty clear to me that the problem is that they don't have the right karma and antics of the 90's greats of jordan or anyone of the greats
Lebron is only 2-2 in the finals.

If he would have only raped Greg Oden (an incredibly aged center) in the showers the way Jordan did to Bill Cartwright (he was the Bulls grandfather center) to set an example to the rest of the team he would be 4-0 in the showers.

I was also disgusted by the lack of showboating from Lebron last night in the 3rd quarter when he caught fire. A true gentleman like Jordan would have made sure to show up the other team and make sure it was caught on camera and make at least 10 commercials about it.

Why can't Lebron be a true gentleman like Jordan?

Lebron is only 2-2 in the finals.

If he would have only raped Greg Oden (an incredibly aged center) in the showers the way Jordan did to Bill Cartwright (he was the Bulls grandfather center) to set an example to the rest of the team he would be 4-0 in the showers.

I was also disgusted by the lack of showboating from Lebron last night in the 3rd quarter when he caught fire. A true gentleman like Jordan would have made sure to show up the other team and make sure it was caught on camera and make at least 10 commercials about it.

Why can't Lebron be a true gentleman like Jordan?

Don't forget that Jordan wouldn't have spoken out against Donald Sterling because racists and bigots buy sneakers too.

Siegcram

Jordan's Bulls, Ewing-era Knicks, Miller Pacers and the 90s Pistons truly were basketball integrity personified.
No whining, flopping or dirty plays there. Nope.

How can a team as fundamentally sound as the Spurs suck so much at the line? They only shot 60% last night. Even the Lakers with Shaq would usually do better than that.

You only miss FTs because of 3 things. Lack of skill, nerves or exhaustion. It ain't the first one so I would guess they are tired or are choking. I am leaning towards the choke.
I can understand Parker missing his, he looked like he was still in pain from the elbow, but not Duncan.

bionic77

Don't forget that Jordan wouldn't have spoken out against Donald Sterling because racists and bigots buy sneakers too.
Fucking bum ass Lebron can't keep his mouth shut.

Always seeking attention and calling out racists and murders like Sterling and Zimmerman. He needs to shut up and let the experts and Fox News and First Take tell us how to think.

A TRUE gentleman and scholar like Jordan would have never done something so crass. Remember how well he handled all those school kids getting murdered over his shoes in the 80s? Instead of going to the media and telling everyone how wrong it was or doing something even more unsavory like reducing their price he heroically stayed silent and filmed a commercial for McDonalds. He is always a gentleman. I remember he handled the Nike slave camps in Malaysia with similar class.

effzee

Missed the last few pages but let me guess the state of the sport is in danger because the Heat won?

People want to stop watching the NBA because the Heat won? Its funny how while flopping, reffing, and calls in favor of the superstars are all true and things to fix and lament, none of these "points" come up when the Heat aren't winning or when previous superstars or dynasties were winning.

My whole problem with the majority of these posters is that its all led from their dislike of LeBron or the Heat and not from a genuine case of dislike of these elements all across the NBA.

How about we just enjoy what have been 2 great games. Even right down to the end of the 1st game where the Spurs blew it open, its been very close back and forth with incredible shots, performances, and great coaching chess matches.

effzee

Better than a money fine, the player should either be given a technical (after review) and then thrown out for a 2nd offense.

Though that would be hard to institute I imagine.

Money doesn't affect them as much unless its a huge ass fine.

I wonder if Spo will stick with the switching strategy on defense. It worked to great effect with Dallas until the Spurs figured it out and crushed them, but it seemed to bother them again here.

I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps using it sparingly as an end of game change up (much like LeBron on Parker).

Leonard looks like he needs to get his shit together but at the same time, LeBron just seems much more comfortable attacking him. Not sure how much his defense has slipped and how much is just LeBron showing no mercy.

Can't ask for a better basketball series than this. The Lakers and Spurs of the early 2000s were great, but there's no denying that whoever got out of the west was the defacto champion and the Finals were a formality. Nice to have an actual series.

Agreed with what you said.

Spo had to switch it up. In game 1 the Spurs knew exactly how to attack it because the Heat never switched it up. Last night they did switching at times and then backed off of it other times which at least made the Spurs think and throw them off a bit.

Spurs are so good that I can see them adjusting to this also but the Heat can't be predictable in what defense they will play. I def think Spurs win 1 in Miami

andthebeatgoeson

They just ain't built for this. Heat have some terrible defense last night, at times. They just give up on plays. I assume that's do to overall exhaustion. But they were always in it. Spurs get up by 10. Then a run. With that higher gear Bron went into, Spurs have to be grateful they are not down 0-2. Luckily, they have Pop. You have to figure that OKC won't keep getting beat. Oh wait, they still have Brooks. WTF is OKC doing? Brooks is wasting the fuck out of these years by Durant and YNB.

effzee

If your defense is that harden and the clippers may be worse at flopping and get more BS calls their way then you have already lost.

On the one hand you admit they flop and then on the other you want us to shut up about something they clearly do that you even admit.

No I want you to shut up because everyone does it including the Spurs but all the lamenting and complaining is aimed at Lebron, Wade, and the Heat. So that leads me to believe its not about the flopping or calls but more about your distaste for the Heat.

It's like you heat fans are channeling Lebron, you benefit more then almost anyone in the league from star calls and ref fuckery but you whine about being the victim of unfair treatment more then anyone else. Then try and play the excuse game when your team clearly gets away with flops and bullshit, which in turn just gets everyone to hate your team and fanbase more.

WTF is this? The Thunder go to the line more. Harden goes to the FT line more than any player. Yeah but the Heat benefit the most right?

But even if they did, the point isn't that they are victims because of that complaint. They, mainly Lebron, are easy targets because if he cramps up Jordan wouldn't have! If he flops Jordan wouldn't have! If he passes for the last shot Jordan wouldn't have!

Its all BS. You dislike the team first and then complain about them doing the things everyone else does. You don't dislike him for flopping or getting the calls. That would make no sense right? Since all other players do it and do it more?

No one is making excuses about flops or getting away with calls. I am telling you superstars get away with it. But this is nothing new or exclusive to Lebron even now.

Just really I would wish the talk could be about anything but the refs and flopping as if its some new phenomena that was invented to help Lebron. Jordan used to flop too. Used to bitch and yell at the refs. Get over it already.

Leonard getting in foul trouble is simple. They called two non-fouls as fouls on him which took him out at critical points. One of which was when Lebron went on a tear. Then he has to play timid the rest of the way because he risks fouling out. Pretty simple.

As for Manu I already said that the end of the game was on them. Who are you arguing with that? The spurs, despite the fuckery, still had a chance at the end and blew it. They couldn't adjust to Lebron on Parker and couldn't hit critical shots. But your silly if you don't think the two and then three fouls had a negative effect that half. The third being a complete bs call.

Ok if I you give you that some of those calls were BS would you then admit some of the calls against the Heat were also BS? Especially like the one where Lebron had all ball and was called for a foul and then a tech for arguing? Those calls had no effect on the game?

Heat weren't in foul trouble with 6+ minutes left in the fourth? Spurs didn't have a march to the line if they wanted to?

It goes both ways. Heat might have gotten away with some calls but so did the Spurs. Spurs had the edge in FTs and then missed a bunch. Complaining about the refs makes no sense.

Yes the Spurs the model example of a team that doesn't flop.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yes the Spurs the model example of a team that doesn't flop.

People were definitely ignoring the flopping they did these two games, and completely have forgotten that Splitter was even fined for flopping during the Oklahoma series. Flopping is a systemic issue within the NBA right now, it is most certainly not just unique to the Heat. This is par the course for the losing team though. If your team loses, it is not because they didn't play better than the other team, it is because the refs were incredibly biased for the other team, or the other team masterfully flopped, or they cheated in some other way...

Spurs never do this kind of stuff.

AnguishedQuickGrebe.gif

i was going to copy and paste all the wade flop comments from this thread that attributed that situation " as to why everyone hates the heat and its such a shit team" but that would be silly and childish.

I think he meant because Lebron didn't spit on his food to make sure no one took his delicious cinnamon rolls. He loved those cinnamon rolls. Does Lebron love them enough?
One of the best articles I've read about MJ. I have that on my bookmarks still.

Fucking bum ass Lebron can't keep his mouth shut.

Always seeking attention and calling out racists and murders like Sterling and Zimmerman. He needs to shut up and let the experts and Fox News and First Take tell us how to think.

A TRUE gentleman and scholar like Jordan would have never done something so crass. Remember how well he handled all those school kids getting murdered over his shoes in the 80s? Instead of going to the media and telling everyone how wrong it was or doing something even more unsavory like reducing their price he heroically stayed silent and filmed a commercial for McDonalds. He is always a gentleman. I remember he handled the Nike slave camps in Malaysia with similar class.

giphy.gif

EDIT: OP updated with gifs, brackets and POTN.

DEREK FISHER?!

At least my boy is making that paper.

EDIT:
Fisher's staff is very likely to include Kurt Rambis. Others in mix: Rick Fox, Luke Walton, Bill Cartwright.

Knicks going to be Lakers East.

Stop trying to make Jordan out to be a flopper. He may have flopped once or twice. Dude did not flop every game nor even close to a majority of them. They took charges back then and played man when they needed to and whatever else when they needed to.

As anyone can tell you, those that watched a lot of bulls, Jordan could whine to refs now and then and he trashed talk but he still had integrity. Dwayne Wade does this for a living. IN EVERY GAME.

Comparison dead. Sorry Heat fans. And even Spurs fans. We know the euros on that team do it too.

Stop trying to make Jordan out to be a flopper. He may have flopped once or twice. Dude did not flop every game nor even close to a majority of them. They took charges back then and played man when they needed to and whatever else when they needed to.

As anyone can tell you, those that watched a lot of bulls, Jordan could whine to refs now and then and he trashed talk but he still had integrity. Dwayne Wade does this for a living. IN EVERY GAME.

Comparison dead. Sorry Heat fans.

Jordan? Integrity? Even Jordan would laugh at that.

Jordan? Integrity? Even Jordan would laugh at that.

Oh please.

I've honestly seen Jordan do a crazy flop like 3 times. I've seen Wade do this day in day out for the entirety of his career basically. The guy is a roided up wanker.

Honestly, you take Wade away from that team and I don't hate them nearly as much. I never even seen Rodman flop like that Game 2 crap. That was ridiculous.

Jag

This Heat organization is really bad and deserves derision. I mean is this any way for a billionaire's son to act??

When Jerry Colangelo asked Krzyzewski to coach the U.S. national team he got the coach's staff, too, including the billionaire's kid who never complained about performing the most menial tasks.

"I was blown away by how humble he was," said Colangelo, the chairman of USA Basketball. "You wouldn't have picked him out on a bet as someone who may have been privileged growing up. He was a doer, a giver."

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, who has known Nick Arison since he was a kid, recalled his 2 a.m. arrival at the U.S. team's hotel during the 2006 World Championship in Japan. He encountered Arison folding the team's laundry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom