• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Spurs never do this kind of stuff.

AnguishedQuickGrebe.gif

Manu is a dirty flopper, but do you know what the difference is?

Wade completely stops playing altogether when he flops. He'll travel, fall over, grab his eye, step out of bounds, stare at the ref, completely drop any competitive edge. And if the ref doesn't give him the call, he'll look at the ref dirty like http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/mgsblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dwade-fail.jpg

In the gif you posted, Manu does a quick attempt to get a call, fails, but gets his defender to back off, and plays on. Most floppers just oversell. Wade does it to avoid competing altogether. And he doesn't have to.

The worst part about it is Wade gets incredibly physical with other plays and has caused several injuries to other players. He's one of the dirtiest players, but he acts bitchmade in order to manipulate the officiating so that he doesn't have to compete at all

If a player backs of from Wade after a flop, he doesn't put up a shot or kill the act: No, he doubles down, falls over and gets the ref to stop the action.

Wade would rather flop than put up a good basketball play. that's the problem with him

Why is wade holding his face when he has a clear path to the basket on a failed attempted steal? Why is he trying to get the ref to call a phantom foul instead of punishing? Why is he resorting to relying on the refs when he's usually a better player than the person that's defending him? It's a pathetic display and completely uncompetitive.

knicks

Fisher, who was part of a group of former Lakers to be considered for the job and at best second-choice, will reportedly bring on Kurt Rambis, and possibly his other competitors, including Rick Fox, Luke Walton, and Bill Cartwright.

KuGsj.gif

VoxPop

Super Mario will put up his annual 20+ pt Finals performance

followed by series defining block of Duncan by Greg Oden

where he goes on the fast break, tears his ACL & MCL

but gets the oop out for a series winning dunk to the King

You heard it here first

Oden + Curry will both have a ring

BadAss2961

Fisher, who was part of a group of former Lakers to be considered for the job and at best second-choice, will reportedly bring on Kurt Rambis, and possibly his other competitors, including Rick Fox, Luke Walton, and Bill Cartwright.

KuGsj.gif
Wonder what Melo thinks. lol

bionic77

Oh please.

I've honestly seen Jordan do a crazy flop like 3 times. I've seen Wade do this day in day out for the entirety of his career basically. The guy is a roided up wanker.

Honestly, you take Wade away from that team and I don't hate them nearly as much. I never even seen Rodman flop like that Game 2 crap. That was ridiculous.
If you have never seen Rodman flop you need to watch more basketball. Dude flopped and fouled like a mofo (and got away it a lot of the times because he was smart and had a reputation being DPOY).

Also Jordan did not flop but he did push off like a bald motherfucker. Ask a Utah Jazz fan about that!

LQX

Phil Jackson needs to cut the bullshit and just coach the Knicks because either he is an idiot or thinks everyone else are idiots if he thinks we think he will not be whispering into Fishers ears everything he should be doing. Maybe that is good thing but jut drop the act and fucking coach and have Apprentice Fisher at your side.

Phil Jackson needs to cut the bullshit and just coach the Knicks because either he is an idiot or thinks everyone else are idiots if he thinks we think he will not be whispering into Fishers ears everything he should be doing. Maybe that is good thing but jut drop the act and fucking coach and have Apprentice Fisher at your side.

It's the Pat Riley method.

BadAss2961

He wants to coach the Knicks without it fucking up his records. lol

If you have never seen Rodman flop you need to watch more basketball. Dude flopped and fouled like a mofo (and got away it a lot of the times because he was smart and had a reputation being DPOY).

Also Jordan did not flop but he did push off like a bald motherfucker. Ask a Utah Jazz fan about that!

As guy said above I have never seen Rodman like stop a game and plead to the ref when it was so obvious nothing happened. This is Rodman though. He had other crazy tactics. I still never saw him flop like that game 2 biz. I saw him do some crazy shit but never quite that. I mean nobody is even remotely close to Wade lol. And this is not the first time he has been standing there 3 feet from someone acting like he got popped. I used to see Rodman do more flops to sell charges than anything else and when he'd be down low getting hammered he would oversell some stuff.

Never on Wade's level. I'm sure it happened. But he ain't even on Wade's level. Wade is like a GOD of the flop.

bionic77

Vlade Divac is the king of the flop and possibly the actual king of Serbia.

Dude invented it in the NBA.

Wade is the king of falling down and getting up.

Jonm1010

Banned
This is my last post on this rubbish: There may be a debate, but it's a fundamentally idiotic one. The game has evolved and there is quite simply no way to compare eras.

You come in here spouting off about 80s and 90s, about pussy basketball, about real defenses that would have put the hammer down and the fact of the matter is you're just speculating. Could the Bad Boy Pistons have stopped the 2014 Heat's offense? Who the fuck knows? Who cares? Who can make any kind of argument on this point that has any basis in anything? It's a talking point that's completely devoid of any substance.

By all means continue to wax nostalgic about the 80s and 90s teams you know for a fact would have dominated today's pussy league and pussy players, I'd like to think there's better things to discuss in the 2014 NBA finals thread but it doesn't appear to be the case.

P.S. Bringing up the Sacramento LA series makes you look like a crazy person See here

Haha man I fell asleep before this gem.

This guy was just whining about no discussions of substance a few hours earlier and wanting to split off the conversations in this thread he didn't like and now he's mad about the one substantive one people are having. Que Abe Simpson yelling at clouds.

I think you should give message boards a rest for a little bit kanguro. Others opinions seem to really bother you.

Haha man I fell asleep before this gem.

This guy was just whining about no discussions of substance a few hours earlier and wanting to split off the conversations in this thread he didn't like and now he's mad about the one substantive one people are having. Que Abe Simpson yelling at clouds.

I think you should give message boards a rest for a little bit kanguro. Others opinions seem to really bother you.

Ahh no doubt. That other guy left before I, and yourself, had made all the main points. Mr. PEACE. God so annoying. Dude clearly understands nothing about NBA history. TEH NBA IS SO EVOLVED. Your rhetoric means nothing. My rhetoric is so much better and correct even though I haven't said one factual thing yadda yadda on and on.

Evolved NBA. Machines next guys. That's why a 1940s offensive scheme is pretty much the greatest scheme out there in the last 30 years lol.

Also, why does bringing up that series make me look like a crazy person? Pretty much everyone and their mother knows the refs won that championship game. The referee who wrote that book admitted it.

Jonm1010

Banned
Manu is a dirty flopper, but do you know what the difference is?

Wade completely stops playing altogether when he flops. He'll travel, fall over, grab his eye, step out of bounds, stare at the ref, completely drop any competitive edge. And if the ref doesn't give him the call, he'll look at the ref dirty like http://maximumgrilledsteelers.com/mgsblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dwade-fail.jpg

In the gif you posted, Manu does a quick attempt to get a call, fails, but gets his defender to back off, and plays on. Most floppers just oversell. Wade does it to avoid competing altogether. And he doesn't have to.

The worst part about it is Wade gets incredibly physical with other plays and has caused several injuries to other players. He's one of the dirtiest players, but he acts bitchmade in order to manipulate the officiating so that he doesn't have to compete at all

If a player backs of from Wade after a flop, he doesn't put up a shot or kill the act: No, he doubles down, falls over and gets the ref to stop the action.

Wade would rather flop than put up a good basketball play. that's the problem with him

Why is wade holding his face when he has a clear path to the basket on a failed attempted steal? Why is he trying to get the ref to call a phantom foul instead of punishing? Why is he resorting to relying on the refs when he's usually a better player than the person that's defending him? It's a pathetic display and completely uncompetitive.

I agree with everything you are saying and individually Wade should be held accountable for choosing that method of play style.

With that said, despite my anger and frustration at the Heat for their fuckery, I ultimately lay the blame at the foot of the league.

You would have to be a moron to not think many higher ups aren't aware of what some of these star players are doing when it comes to dirty play and flops. And they choose to do little to nothing about it except in the most extreme cases.

I got piled on in the Super Bowl thread by Seattle fans a while back even though I was mostly complimenting them. I mentioned how their defensive strategy predicated upon committing subtle pass interference at different points in players routes with the knowledge and historical evidence that officials will not call all interference because of fear of ruining the flow of the game. The team has practically admitted to it, the evidence supports it, teams speak of it all the time about game planning for them. But it works. They were ahead of the curve and innovators in playing the gray area of sports, as have many Super Bowl champions(spygate, Broncos breaking salary rules and cut blocking opponents, saints bounties) If the league chooses to do nothing about it you can damn well believe other teams will follow. In the past they have responded to issues that have arose and much of that crap ended. I would bet it will eventually with the Seattle style of coverage as well. Maybe not this year but it will.

The NBA on the other hand has done nothing to alter the exploits many players have found in their system and have been historically slow on even obvious issues(how many years did Bruce Bowen get away with putting his foot under jump shooters to try and roll their ankles when they landed??). Flopping gets worse and worse every year and star calls are basically openly accepted as a part of the game. Until the league grows a pair and starts putting teeth into their promises, players and teams like Wade and the Heat will just keep using it to their advantage because they are elite competitors who want to win at almost any cost.

Dwayne Wade denying it ever happened after being fined. This guy is for real.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11057507/nba-finals-2014-dwyane-wade-fined-flop

We move on he says. This guy has not an ounce of credibility. NOT AN OUNCE. Only a Heat fan could like this team. Sorry, it's true.

Look at how many flops the league found this year lol? Hardly any. Yet the average fan can spot two or three a game in many games. It's so obvious this whole thing is a farce.

Sorry, even Rodman would have manned up there. Wade is an awful person. Lebron should just get away from him ASAP. Lebron needs to move away from Miami if he ever hopes to regain any love. Thing is they are one in the same. Two roided up linebackers that flop all over the place like a bunch of pansies. Sick.

It doesn't excuse Ginny though. That guy is also on my crap list.

bionic77

Fines for flopping is stupid unless they are 6 figures. Even then Wade would still do it to win a game when he makes 20 million per year.

The solution is to go to a yellow card type system like in soccer. 2 yellows in 3 games means you sit out the next one. If these bitches want to flop like soccer players they should be penalized like them too.

Fines for flopping is stupid unless they are 6 figures. Even then Wade would still do it to win a game when he makes 20 million per year.

The solution is to go to a yellow card type system like in soccer. 2 yellows in 3 games means you sit out the next one. If these bitches want to flop like soccer players they should be penalized like them too.

I agree. While I don't think things have gotten WAY out of hand, they are close. Flopping is gonna soon make this league look really silly and they need to come down hard on it next season.

bionic77

I agree. While I don't think things have gotten WAY out of hand, they are close. Flopping is gonna soon make this league look really silly and they need to come down hard on it next season.
My original solution was no penalty but to make them wear a sign on their jersey that said 'I have no penis' any time they were caught flopping in any game but I don't think the NBA is ready for it.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dwayne Wade denying it ever happened after being fined. This guy is for real.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11057507/nba-finals-2014-dwyane-wade-fined-flop

We move on he says. This guy has not an ounce of credibility. NOT AN OUNCE. Only a Heat fan could like this team. Sorry, it's true.

Look at how many flops the league found this year lol? Hardly any. Yet the average fan can spot two or three a game in many games. It's so obvious this whole thing is a farce.

Sorry, even Rodman would have manned up there. Wade is an awful person. Lebron should just get away from him ASAP. Lebron needs to move away from Miami if he ever hopes to regain any love. Thing is they are one in the same. Two roided up linebackers that flop all over the place like a bunch of pansies. Sick.

It doesn't excuse Ginny though. That guy is also on my crap list.

What do you expect him to say? I don't think I have ever seen anyone own up to flopping, though players aren't usually asked about it after the game. Was Splitter asked about his flop after he was also fined 5k? I don't remember.

By the way, you can bet your ass that Manu would have played up that flop if the ref had called it. You can see how he pauses hoping for the whistle, and when it doesn't come, he continues playing. There was some serious flopping going on by both teams these two games.. hell, these whole playoffs have been filled with flopping, but I guess it's the Heat that are destroying the game. :(

Phil Jackson doesn't even want to leave LA to be the Knicks president. He has no interest in coaching again unless he gets some crazy concessions like he tried to get out the Lakers before they hired D'Antoni (coaching home games only, getting an ownership stake)

hiring HCs with no experience seems to be this new thing but I don't get it. Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd were glorified baby sitters, and you could even argue they underachieved with the talent they had.

Maybe Phil just wants someone who will do whatever the hell he says. You guys ever think about that? Maybe he don't want to sit on the damn court all day in the heat.

Cloudy

Banned
flopped_medium.gif

I still can't believe how shameless this is from a "star". The 5K fine is ridiculous. It should be a tech for obvious flopping. That's the only way you stop this crap

bionic77

flopped_medium.gif

I still can't believe how shameless this is from a "star". The 5K fine is ridiculous. It should be a tech for obvious flopping. That's the only way you stop this crap
How would you enforce it though?

Tech to start the next game? Review during break in play and tech upon resumption?

Maybe Phil just wants someone who will do whatever the hell he says. You guys ever think about that? Maybe he don't want to sit on the damn court all day in the heat.

Phil don't care. He just wants to plow Jeanie and take her out for lobster dinners on Dolan's dime.

and you guys need to get real on flopping. The cat is out of hte bag on that shit now it's not going anywhere. The league knows some of their biggest names do it so they aren't going to risk having to suspend them or have them miss games over it. Just get used to it.

ShowDog

Phil don't care. He just wants to plow Jeanie and take her out for lobster dinners on Dolan's dime.

and you guys need to get real on flopping. The cat is out of hte bag on that shit now it's not going anywhere. The league knows some of their biggest names do it so they aren't going to risk having to suspend them or have them miss games over it. Just get used to it.

You would hope with gifs everywhere and the associated humiliation players might stop on their own. But some people have no shame and wins and the accompanying $$$ talks.

Jag

That's wasn't a big flop by Manu. Only a minute left in a Finals game and a foul call could have tied the game. No big deal there.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That it might involve some acting but it's clearly not a AAA actor at his best. Wade's is far more insulting.

lol

They're both awful. The Spurs flop just as much, if not more than the Heat. Splitter, Manu, Parker, all flop.

So which defensive scheme should the spurs use to limit LeBron's influence in the game?

I think they'll keep trying the same thing they've always done: let him shoot jumpshots.

Last year it was pretty effect at times. His jump shot wasn't quite there yet. But if he keeps shooting the way he was last game then i dunno what they can do outside of forcing him into isos and hoping he goes cold.

I think they'll keep trying the same thing they've always done: let him shoot jumpshots.

Last year it was pretty effect at times. His jump shot wasn't quite there yet. But if he keeps shooting the way he was last game then i dunno what they can do outside of forcing him into isos and hoping he goes cold.
His jump shot was effective last game in part because he drove the whole first half of the game. He didn't start shooting it till the 3rd quarter, and by then they were giving him lots of space because of his paint presence. Bosh was at it too. It was a great plan by Spo and the Heat and the Spurs clearly weren't ready for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom