• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
His jump shot was effective last game in part because he drove the whole first half of the game. He didn't start shooting it till the 3rd quarter, and by then they were giving him lots of space because of his paint presence. Bosh was at it too. It was a great plan by Spo and the Heat and the Spurs clearly weren't ready for it.

Switch it up! End of game you have to get the ball out of his hands. I hate when teams let the ball handler just come down the court easily. Single coverage early so the rest of the team doesn't get in a groove and double late and hope everyone else misses.

He's a tough cover because of how strong and quick, he can bulldoze past any one in single coverage. Now he has a jumper..ouch lol
They built a good team around lebron's passing skills too, everyone on that team can hit the 3 pointer. He's like Shaq and Penny in one guy, he's a monster right now.

I think they'll keep trying the same thing they've always done: let him shoot jumpshots.

Last year it was pretty effect at times. His jump shot wasn't quite there yet. But if he keeps shooting the way he was last game then i dunno what they can do outside of forcing him into isos and hoping he goes cold.
True. LeBron has been very difficult to stop while on the court and he seems to be more comfortable with the defensive schemes used so far by the spurs. I think Pop might try to live with him torching them and limit all the other heat players and pray for him to be off. The problem with that is that bosh has been playing with a lot of assertiveness.

His jump shot was effective last game in part because he drove the whole first half of the game. He didn't start shooting it till the 3rd quarter, and by then they were giving him lots of space because of his paint presence. Bosh was at it too. It was a great plan by Spo and the Heat and the Spurs clearly weren't ready for it.
This is true. Miami offense was good, it would be nice if Chalmers and Wade contribute more than reprehensible antics.

air-conditioning-repair.jpg

Lol. Miami has the secret service securing the AC.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Bosh is the x-factor on that team. Every time the Heat beat my bulls fucking Bosh killed is with his jumper and random drives late. He's overrated and underrated at the same time lol

How would you enforce it though?

Tech to start the next game? Review during break in play and tech upon resumption?

Sadly you're right, it would slow down the game too much. Still I'd at least like to see it experimented with. Not all fouls need to be examined, but perhaps the replay team could flag calls like that, bring a ref over, and then if you're guilty you get a tech.

ampere

If you flop you should be suspended for the next game. I think that would cut down the flopping.

A really really blatant one like that, maybe. But a full game suspension is huge... I sort of agree and it would definitely scare players from BS flopping.

Kinda agree with you. That flop was ridiculous and absurd that all he has to do is pay $5k

Bosh is the x-factor on that team. Every time the Heat beat my bulls fucking Bosh killed is with his jumper and random drives late. He's overrated and underrated at the same time lol

Man I thought he only drove me crazy. The guy is a great talent, I think he has flipped a switch though, he said he was looking for more opportunities to impact the game. Also Spo told him to keep being aggressive. It does benefit the heat to have him like this.

On another point, maybe this signals the diminished role of Wade going forward.

On another point, maybe this signals the diminished role of Wade going forward.

Wade's shitty knees diminished his role in general. At least he has been practicing new moves, to his credit. he's got a floater now and he's been trying to add some range in his game in general. He's going to need it, too, because he's not getting any younger.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
A really really blatant one like that, maybe. But a full game suspension is huge... I sort of agree and it would definitely scare players from BS flopping.

Kinda agree with you. That flop was ridiculous and absurd that all he has to do is pay $5k

Maybe something like two strikes = suspension for next game as well as the fines? They would never suspend players for flops though. They really need to nip this in the butt though. It's becoming too much like soccer. Go on YouTube and just browse the various flops by players throughout the league, there is some major egregious shit.

Wade's shitty knees diminished his role in general. At least he has been practicing new moves, to his credit. he's got a floater now and he's been trying to add some range in his game in general. He's going to need it, too, because he's not getting any younger.

True. At least he's showing some pride but he's safe with that long term contract that he pushed his ass off to get.

Well looks like it might happen Carmelo Anthony joining Miami Heat and Lebron.

I knew this was possible. Stephen A Smith just said he expects Carmelo to join Lebron, and he predicted Doc Rivers to Clippers, Big 3 coming together months prior to "The Decision."

EDIT: Either 2014 or 2015.

Congrats Heat-Nation. My poor Raptors.

Blablurn

I knew this was possible. Stephen A Smith just said he expects Carmelo to join Lebron, and he predicted Doc Rivers to Clippers, Big 3 coming together months prior to "The Decision."

Holy shit. Really?

BadAss2961

LeBron needs more help. Right guys?

I doubt it.

Play him tight. He can make the jumper now when you give it to him, but misses them under tight defense. Make him earn every single bucket with drives to the paint. Wear him out.

I think this might work with some slight adjustment. This defensive setup can be conducive to fouls being called on the spurs, so Pop needs to deploy it and take it away to avoid having Miami killing them from the FTL. It can wear LeBron down if spo can't identify it and thus underperforming in the 4th quarter.

Into

Be A Big Star In A Big Market vs. Win Shit

So yeah, Knicks vs. Miami

If i were Melo, id join Miami. The only other decent option is Chicago.

NY and LA are in the shitter

If he enters, who goes?

BadAss2961

I think this might work with some slight adjustment. This defensive setup can be conducive to fouls being called on the spurs, so Pop needs to deploy it and take it away to avoid having Miami killing them from the FTL. It can wear LeBron down if spo can't identify it and thus underperforming in the 4th quarter.
I cringe whenever I see a defender sagging off LeBron and just giving him the three. It's what got him in rhythm and killed the Spurs lead in the 3rd quarter as he went on that quick 8-10 point run.

I'd rather they play him tough and take the fouls instead of just giving him open shots and space to watch plays develop and dish easy passes.

I cringe whenever I see a defender sagging off LeBron and just giving him the three. It's what got him in rhythm and killed the Spurs lead in the 3rd quarter as he went on that quick 8-10 point run.

I'd rather they play him tough and take the fouls instead of just giving him open shots and space to watch plays develop and dish easy passes.

He is going to foul everyone out. Pray that the jumper misses.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Play him tight. He can make the jumper now when you give it to him, but misses them under tight defense. Make him earn every single bucket with drives to the paint. Wear him out.

He'll just drive all day. He used to not have a jumper so all he could do was blow by people and he still got 30 a game easy.

Dude is devastating in the post too. He's still a streaky shooter, and he's so concerned with efficiency that if he misses two jumpers in a row he stops shooting. Like it or not, best strategy is still to sag off him and hope Leonard can do a better job defensively.

BadAss2961

He'll just drive all day. He used to not have a jumper so all he could do was blow by people and he still got 30 a game easy.

Dude is devastating in the post too. He's still a streaky shooter, and he's so concerned with efficiency that if he misses two jumpers in a row he stops shooting. Like it or not, best strategy is still to sag off him and hope Leonard can do a better job defensively.
Not so much as his jumpshooting, but this happens with his drives as well. He's not a maniac like Westbrook, Rose, or Wade used to be. He'll stop shooting altogether if you get him to miss a few shots. That's where you want LeBron.

I think some people forget the headband less moment because of how game 6 ended, but LeBron drove every time to get Miami in the game. If the Jumpshot ain't there he's gonna push it. This is the finals even if he isn't scoring he can create opportunities for the shooters in the team and get the spurs in trouble.

BadAss2961

I think some people forget the headband less moment because of how game 6 ended, but LeBron drove every time to get Miami in the game. If the Jumpshot ain't there he's gonna push it. This is the finals even if he isn't scoring he can create opportunities for the shooters in the team and get the spurs in trouble.
That's literally the one time I can remember him playing like that though. It's not something he normally does. He's always in nonchalant mode -- that's his comfort zone.

LeBron is probably at his best when the score is lopsided either way. lol

That's literally the one time I can remember him playing like that though. It's not something he normally does. He's always in nonchalant mode -- that's his comfort zone.

LeBron is probably at his best when the score is lopsided either way. lol

Yeah, he went deep in the tank for that. I remember him saying that he felt it was the end so he needed to play leaving it all on the floor so he put everything in it. But the point stands, he already did it against these spurs and it worked to disrupt them, he could do it again if the situation requires him to do so.

situation-omg.gif

If he enters, who goes?

gad damnit. Maybe Bron will go back to Cleveland. To play with Cal, wiggins, irving, poor mans poor mans wade, and unfuck Anthony Bennett's career. Highly unlikely but one heck of a story lol.
Or big 3 will all take less money to accommodate Melo.

BadAss2961

Yeah, he went deep in the tank for that. I remember him saying that he felt it was the end so he needed to play leaving it all on the floor so he put everything in it. But the point stands, he already did it against these spurs and it worked to disrupt them, he could do it again if the situation requires him to do so.
Why doesn't he play like that all the time? It's partly why I have so much trouble respecting this guy. He wants everything to be easy.

And yeah, he could do it again, but would he? I don't know. Depends on how bad things get.

spyder_ur

It's really a pick your poison situation with defending LeBron. I probably favor pressure, but that has its drawbacks too. I just think playing too far off him allows him to survey the floor and also gather up speed for his drives.

At this point of his career, I don't think it's a stretch to say he might be the most well-rounded offensive player in history.

I called Melo joining the heat a while back

the big three get their contracts restructured , Wade obviously takes way less since he will play low games in the season, Bosh takes a mini cut and Melo and Bron get the max

Battier is already gonna retire, Ray will take the vet min, same with shard, Chalmers is gone , Cole takes over

i just wanted to see the spurs win one more so they still got a chance before the real HWO happens :p

Why doesn't he play like that all the time? It's partly why I have so much trouble respecting this guy. He wants everything to be easy.

And yeah, he could do it again, but would he? I don't know. Depends on how bad things get.

Honestly? I think no player can do that and have a long career. Those types of efforts require a lot mentally and are very taxing physically. Asking him to do it on daily basis is unrealistic, he would burn out fast as a player in the NBA and probably would require more maintenance than wade and be more injured as well. Not to mention the fact that the motivation and incentive has to be there to begin with, that's just how humans are wired. It woud be irrational for him to play like that vs all the teams out there every time, it would also brake the team chemistry as he was doing it all, etc.

Honestly? I think no player can do that and have a long career. Those types of efforts require a lot mentally and are very taxing physically. Asking him to do it on daily basis is unrealistic, he would burn out fast as a player in the NBA and probably would require more maintenance than wade and be more injured as well. Not to mention the fact that the motivation and incentive has to be there to begin with, that's just how humans are wired. It woud be irrational for him to play like that vs all the teams out there every time, it would also brake the team chemistry as he was doing it all, etc.

Yeah, if you want to see what happens to a player who drives to the basket with no regard to his health just go back and watch wade when he was younger. there's a reason he's all banged up these days.

Jag

Great article on Chris Bosh. Say what you want about the Heat, he's just a likable, honest guy.
Playing small and losing Wade for 28 games caused internal friction, and frustrations started to mount at the tail end of the regular season. The Heat finished outside the top 10 in defensive efficiency for the first time since 2010. Doubt crept in whether the switch even existed.

"You think this was going to be easy?" Bosh says. "What, they're just going to hand us a championship? That's not going to happen. Of course that's not going to happen. We forgot. We probably shouldn't even say we're back-to-back champs. Would we feel different about it, would we have a different hunger if Kawhi Leonard makes a free throw? If Manu [Ginobili] boxes me out?"

BadAss2961

I don't mean literally all the time, just important games. He wouldn't be the only guy that's ever left it all on the floor in most big games of their career.

The guy's been in all kinds of playoff situations. He's in his 5th finals now, and he has one game where he undoubtedly left it all on the floor.

Halcyon

At this point of his career, I don't think it's a stretch to say he might be the most well-rounded offensive player in history.

I don't know. Scoring is scoring. To me it doesn't really matter how it happens, but Jordan is still top of that list for me. His fade away was automatic. He could get to the basket, draw fouls. Take over games. Penetrate and pass.

Just watch some videos of Jordan's fadeaway and imagine if Lebron had something that consistent in his game.

I don't mean literally all the time, just important games. He wouldn't be the only guy that's ever left it all on the floor in most big games of their career.

The guy's been in all kinds of playoff situations. He's in his 5th finals now, and he has one game where he undoubtedly left it all on the floor.
I guess the reaction that we see depends on the opponent and the situation. Ask OKC if LeBron didn't skewered them viciously, tell that to the celtics in game 6 of 2012, pacers in 2012, the guy has put great performances to allow his team to win, with the Cavs vs the pistons, I'm sure there's more I can't recall. The guy ain't perfect but the only series where he was passive and didn't put it all on the floor when he had to was vs the mavs in 2011, but he consistently has shown that he learned from that experience.

spyder_ur

I don't know. Scoring is scoring. To me it doesn't really matter how it happens, but Jordan is still top of that list for me. His fade away was automatic. He could get to the basket, draw fouls. Take over games. Penetrate and pass.

Just watch some videos of Jordan's fadeaway and imagine if Lebron had something that consistent in his game.

For sure, there have been better scorers - Jordan and Kobe for example were better shooters and post players. But LeBron is a better ball handler, passer, and maybe the best finisher at the rim ever. It's hard to find a weakness in his offensive game at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom