• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

I have to believe that the Lakers wouldn't do this as a straight salary dump. If they do, I would have to rethink my entire Laker fandom.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Matrix
Buys sleeved NBA Jerseys

pffft shit is fugly. I just like Parsons shitting on the Spurs.

Had to get a custom alternate Mcdonalds version made (since I hate their standard jersey replicas). They don't sell Parsons jerseys, so it cost me more money ._. Yet they still have Kmart jerseys for sale online wtf

I have a feeling Pau is being traded.

Before that happens, if it does, I'm going to say a Pau for Bynum + filler trade is something I'm against. I don't give a shit if the Buss's save money. They aren't lowering ticket prices and the trade makes the team more unwatchable this year

Pau is still one of my favorite players of all-time. I don't want him to leave. I want him to be a Laker next year (and a reduced rate of course) too.

That said, I understand if the Cavs throw in Waiters or a 1st rounder and will be okay with such a trade if it happens. I'm against a straight salary dump but I'm not against a trade that brings in an actual asset or two.

Pau for trash is exactly what the tank needs. The tank is more important than Pau now.

that trade analysis assumes Bynum plays, though. he's be cut.

If he stood around how often would he play anyway?

giri

Before that happens, if it does, I'm going to say a Pau for Bynum + filler trade is something I'm against. I don't give a shit if the Buss's save money. They aren't lowering ticket prices and the trade makes the team more unwatchable this year (even if it slightly helps the tank)

I sort of get this. They aren't exactly strugling for money either.

linsivvi

Before that happens, if it does, I'm going to say a Pau for Bynum + filler trade is something I'm against. I don't give a shit if the Buss's save money. They aren't lowering ticket prices and the trade makes the team more unwatchable this year (even if it slightly helps the tank).

Pau is still one of my favorite players of all-time. I don't want him to leave. I want him to be a Laker next year (and a reduced rate of course) too.

That said, I understand if the Cavs throw in Waiters or a 1st rounder and will be okay with such a trade if it happens. I'm against a straight salary dump but I'm not against a trade that brings in an actual asset or two.

They want to avoid the repeater tax. They can go over the luxury tax threshold again next season and they just need to avoid it once every few years. This is the perfect season to do so now that they realized they have no chance to compete. They wouldn't have done so if the Lakers were still hovering around .500.

As for Pau, he can come back next year as long as both parties are interested. This is a lost season anyway.

RAPM is the most predictive stat going by tests and is a combo of adjusted plus or minus and a box score factor. The ridge regression reduces variance, it uses past years numbers as well as the current year, and the box-score factor helps eliminate some weird results as well.

It has the same issues with plus or minus normally (in that it can try to estimate how for say the Mavericks, how much a +10 lineup of Monta and Dirk and other guys is due to Monta and how much is due to Dirk but may not have enough lineup combinations to tell). Because rookies generally rate badly, the prior year for rookies using RAPM is a player that's barely above replacement level which brings down the ratings of young players that are really good. Since it uses past years, old guys that decline sharply can still be pretty highly rated. It uses height as a major variable on defense since JE found height as the most important variable on average for defensive impact and tall guys generally help protect the paint better, but guys like DeAndre are overrated by that. It seems to be a better stat than others though.

Offensive and defensive rating estimates for the 60s were posted:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_1966.html

Interesting note, Wilt never lead a team to an offense that was even average in San Francisco and the 76ers' offenses were still mediocre before he was moved from being the first to one of the last options. Then their offense exploded to first in the league.

linsivvi

This team sucks ass. Pau Gasol isn't going to help that. There is no point trying to get into the playoffs now. Why miss out on the possibility of a top pick in a draft that's suppose to be loaded?

Because you would end up with the Darko Miličić of this draft anyway.

This team sucks ass. Pau Gasol isn't going to help that. There is no point trying to get into the playoffs now. Why miss out on the possibility of a top pick in a draft that's suppose to be loaded?

You act as if you're not going to pick the single bust in the top 10.

Newsflash: You are.

Better to pick later and not be disappointed. Hell, you'd probably have a better chance at getting a rotation player by picking outside the lottery, too.

Spooks

You act as if you're not going to pick the single bust in the top 10.

Newsflash: You are.

Better to pick later and not be disappointed. Hell, you'd probably have a better chance at getting a rotation player by picking outside the lottery, too.
You act like Chris Grant will be making the pick anyways. Dude is as good as gone.

Pkaz01

Channing Frye sat out all of last year with his heart problems and is shooting 42% from 3 this season. I would love to see him in the 3 pt contest. Gerald Green should be in it too.

diehard

Fleer
Kanter doesn't suck btw he just plays like a rookie and is too slow laterally to play the 4 against most teams. He has tons of skill and you can see it.

Favors is awesome and will be better than Millsap and Jefferson pretty soon.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You act like Chris Grant will be making the pick anyways. Dude is as good as gone.

No one talented wants to work for Gilbert the clown and live in fucking ohio.

Even if they luck out in the draft any superstar they get will just leave or be overrated and eventually overpaid like kyrie is going to be if he stays.

linsivvi

Channing Frye sat out all of last year with his heart problems and is shooting 42% from 3 this season. I would love to see him in the 3 pt contest. Gerald Green should be in it too.

Eh, he's nowhere good enough to be in the 3 point contest. There are a lot of good 3 point shooters these days. He ranks #16 in shooting percentage and #15 in 3's made. Green's sub .400 percentage outright put him out of consideration.

giri

Eh, he's nowhere good enough to be in the 3 point contest. There are a lot of good 3 point shooters these days. He ranks #16 in shooting percentage and #15 in 3's made. Green's sub .400 percentage outright put him out of consideration.

Rememebr that every team basically has to be represented somehow.

Frye in the 3pt comp isn't bad. And most of the time, the all stars don't compete in the 3pt comp. They also usually have at least one "big".

Last year was Ryno, wasn't it?

Pkaz01

Frye in the 3pt comp isn't bad. And most of the time, the all stars don't compete in the 3pt comp. They also usually have at least one "big".

Yea when it comes to the all star game stats go out the window for a good story and hype

3pt shooting big man on a surprise team who just got back from a year off due to heart problems? Thats a pretty good story

edit - thats also why I think if paul and kobe don't play and silver decides to put a suns representative into the all star game between Dragic and Bledsoe he will pick Bledsoe even though the suns are better with dragic on the floor according to statistics

This too.

If my father could hear you talk about the state of the Lakers affairs, he would die again.

Playing for a lottery pick. My god what happened to us here in LA.

linsivvi

There's no such rule. Teams have been totally shut out of the allstar weekend before, like the Suns did last year.

I can't see why the likes of Lillard and Thompson would turn down the 3 point contest when it's their coming out party. I can see Durant, who is at a statistical tie with Frye, turning it down, but like Frye he's not good enough to make it anyway.

It's always good when your team scores 70 points in a half against a bad Eastern Conference team and you still aren't confident in them winning. Even with a large lead the bench has been so inept at scoring that it feels hardly secure at all if you rest your starters (in the 4th at least).

Edit: The bench has been pretty good in the 1st half, but I still don't have much confidence in them as of late.

giri

There's no such rule. Teams have been totally shut out of the allstar weekend before, like the Suns did last year.

I can't see why the likes of Lillard and Thompson would turn down the 3 point contest when it's their coming out party. I can see Durant, who is at a statistical tie with Frye, turning it down, but like Frye he's not good enough to make it anyway.

Out of the 14 people ahead of frye, on the 3PM list, half of them shoot under .400 from 3.

And there are 4 or so on the 3P% list, who have attempted less than he's made.

Not sure how you're saying there are a ton of them better than him.

And it's not a written rule, of course, but stern has always tried to make sure a team is in the all star weekend in some way.

Klay i full expect to be in it. I don't expect Curry, Durant, or LBJ. I can see Bellinelli, Beal, Matthews, maybe even Hardaway.

linsivvi

For real. Like The Los Angeles Lakers. We haven't had a high draft pick since we drafted that criminal Andrew Bynum.

10 isn't that high.....

We've never had a high pick in the lottery era. It's time.

Out of the 14 people ahead of frye, on the 3PM list, half of them shoot under .400 from 3.

And there are 4 or so on the 3P% list, who have attempted less than he's made.

Not sure how you're saying there are a ton of them better than him.

And it's not a written rule, of course, but stern has always tried to make sure a team is in the all star weekend in some way.

Klay i full expect to be in it. I don't expect Curry, Durant, or LBJ. I can see Bellinelli, Beal, Matthews, maybe even Hardaway.

I've never heard of such a thing except from you, and I've just given you a random example from last year that proved you wrong. It's not even a rare occurrence.

That's because you only looked at the total number of 3s. Ok, I'll entertain you.

Damien Lillard, Wesley Matthews, Jose Calderon, Kyle Korver all made more 3 pointers and shoot at a higher percentage. Klay Thompson made a lot more and at pretty much the same percentage. Curry's percentage is slightly lower, but still made a lot more. That's 6.

And then we have Marco Belinelli, who made 11 less but is shooting at a whopping 50%. Bradley Beal made more per game and at a higher percentage, and only appears to be less because he was out some games. That's 8.

Let's bring up the borderline cases.

Isaiah Thomas only made 5 less and at virtually the same percentage. If your theory of every team gets represented, then he'll be in instead, since the Suns will probably be represented elsewhere.

Spencer Hawes also shot at a much higher percentage, but made less. Arron Afflalo and Durant are at statistical tie with Frye as well.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
At least Adam Morrison was the next Bird.

What was Anthony Bennett supposed to be?

igBsAeJc8SXGp.png

ibwVoIaMSCFKwX.png

Cavs drafting history is sad.

2013 #1 Bennet
2012 #4 Dion Waiters...at least they didn't take TRob, Austin Rivers or Royce White and Waiters could be good if he develops.....too bad about that Coach tho.
2011 #1 Kyrie Irving. HEY! they got one. He's made of glass but, he's undeniably pretty good at basketball.
2011 #4 Tristan Thompson...draft was weak in general hard to blame them too much for passing up on Klay or Kawhi...but let's do it anyway.

Cavs drafting history is sad.

2013 #1 Bennet
2012 #4 Dion Waiters...at least they didn't take TRob, Austin Rivers or Royce White and Waiters could be good if he develops.....too bad about that Coach tho.
2011 #1 Kyrie Irving. HEY! they got one. He's made of glass but, he's undeniably pretty good at basketball.
2011 #4 Tristan Thompson...draft was weak in general hard to blame them too much for passing up on Klay or Kawhi...but let's do it anyway.

Of those, only Bennett is an outright awful pick; it's just sad that they've had 4 top 4 picks in 3 years and still can't sniff the playoffs.

Top Bottom