• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Jan |OT| Raymond Felton attempts to eat a Knicks Fan

Ok, so the Bulls beat the Lakers then in the dump Bynum for salary sweepstakes, ha ha. Lakers will still probably win another title before the Bulls do. :(

Oh god, he's going to become a Laker, isn't he? I can see it no.

Marshall
Kobe
Deng
Boozer
Embid

are you fucking kidding me if this actually happens....
anticipation.gif.pagespeed.ce.8Hl4nGRxpm.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This team is still very much Rose's team. Bulls have to plan within his contract for now, there really isnt any other option.
He looked fundamentaly good upon his return minus rust and we Bulls fans can only pray looks just as good upon return...with rust of course.

Keep building around Rose, keep Noah and lets go after Kevin Love. lol
Who knows what The Bulls are planning. They could use all the picks for a future trade/draft....assets for a Melo trade? Who knows, they clearly want to be in the mix of things imo.

thats the thing man rose sat out a whole season came back and got injured again. Thats two major injury's in 11 games. How do you in good faith build around that? Then how do you explain that to Reinsdorf cheap ass? If the bulls are smart they are going to start saving assets. Shit with all those first rounders I could see them trading into the lottery this season and going for a star because somebody will bite based on known quantity vs perceived quality.

Gothos

Can anyone explain to me what happens to Bynum contract now? NBA rules are so complicated, lol. Bulls will have to pay Bynum or what?

linsivvi

Can anyone explain to me what happens to Bynum contract now? NBA rules are so complicated, lol. Bulls will have to pay Bynum or what?

Not if they cut him tomorrow.

Bynum's contract is only guaranteed for half a season. However, when you trade a player you have to take into account the contract's full season value. That means he can be exchanged for $12M worth of players. Once the Bull's cut him though, Bynum's contract will only be counted $6M towards the cap, salary which the Cavs already paid.

It makes perfect sense for the Bulls since they aren't going anywhere this season, that saving is way more than $6M counting luxury tax and repeater rates.

Gothos

So, if I understand it right, Bulls can:

A) Let Bynum free and not pay him a cent but the 6M of his contract will still count towards the salary cap
B) Sign him offiicially and pay him those 6M

RIght? :) Seriously, NBA trades ins and outs are crazy...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

A) Let Bynum free and not pay him a cent but the 6M of his contract will still count towards the salary cap

It's his contract.. not exactly the trade itself

linsivvi

If they do A Bynum will count $6M towards the cap, but Deng's $14M is gone and they pay him nothing.
If they do B Bynum will count $12M towards the cap, Deng's $14M is still off the book and they'll have to pay him $6M for the rest of the year.

Bulls salary before trade was $78.6M, after they cut Bynum they'll have a net saving of about $8M, just put them below the repeat offender threshold. I haven't done the math, but it probably saves them $20M in salary and tax, if not more.

You know what's crazier? We are talking about this mostly because owners like Dan Gilbert lobbied for this tax system during the lockout, yet he's the one who gave Bynum this contract and subsequently traded him to facilitate the Bulls circumventing the very tax system he lobbied for.

Zeus Molecules

If they do A Bynum will count $6M towards the cap, but Deng's $14M is gone and they pay him nothing.
If they do B Bynum will count $12M towards the cap, Deng's $14M is still off the book and they'll have to pay him $6M for the rest of the year.

Bulls salary before trade was $78.6M, after they cut Bynum they'll have a net saving of about $8M, just put them below the repeat offender threshold. I haven't done the math, but it probably saves them $20M in salary and tax, if not more.

You know what's crazier? We are talking about this mostly because owners like Dan Gilbert lobbied for this tax system during the lockout, yet he's the one who gave Bynum this contract and subsequently traded him to facilitate the Bulls circumventing the very tax system he lobbied for.

to be fair dan gilbert was being a whiny bitch throughout the whole process of the last CBA. Also there is a ton of restrictive stuff in this current CBA that while the owners agreed to them their GM's likely hate with a passion.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Deng will help ruin the tank/first round bye.

Noway he resigns there unless they way overpay him.

This is the slightly better version of the nets trading the lillard pick for three months if Gerald Wallace only to way overpay him to stay.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Shoot after seeing all this I regret letting giri off the hook in the offseason when he told me there's no way Masai would come to the Raps. :(

But then again that would mean I'd actually need proper trash talk.

Sad to lose Deng but the final offer of 3y/30m I think was about all we should have offered. #embracethetank

Need more info on what picks we got tho.

snack

Shoot after seeing all this I regret letting giri off the hook in the offseason when he told me there's no way Masai would come to the Raps. :(

But then again that would mean I'd actually need proper trash talk.
I've now joined the raps bandwagon.

Flash

So bulls get cap flexibility and multiple picks for a guy they were almost certainly not going to re-sign next year? Not to mention he's going to be overpaid.

Cool Breaking Bad gif, it really helps to illustrate your point!

So bulls get cap flexibility and multiple picks for a guy they were almost certainly not going to re-sign next year? Not to mention he's going to be overpaid.

Seems like they made out alright, I wish Cleveland had embraced the tank instead of trading away picks for a one year rental who might get them to the 7th/8th seed and a first round exit. He's a huge upgrade over Clark/Gee but chasing after Parker/Wiggins makes more sense to me.

Zeus Molecules

Yes it was at its very core a rape deal. Closest thing i could think of is gerald wallace but potentially an inferior pick for a better player (at the moment)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Deng will help ruin the tank/first round bye.

Noway he resigns there unless they way overpay him.

This is the slightly better version of the nets trading the lillard pick for three months if Gerald Wallace only to way overpay him to stay.

Except for the fact the pick is heavily protected. The Bulls will never see the draft pick and if by some miracle they do it won't be a great pick.

I really like the deal for the Cavs. They were desperate to get to the playoffs this year and this move should get them there at really no cost at all.

@JeffZillgitt
Have been told Luol Deng's reps wanted $15-16 million/season. Trade now gives Bulls time to waive Bynum before his deal is full guaranteed.

I hope this isn't Bulls management mother-fucking him to the media for looking greedy.

If it's true, his agents are crazy, a guy who can't dribble with his left hand doesn't deserve 15 million + no matter his other qualities.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope this isn't Bulls management mother-fucking him to the media for looking greedy.

If it's true, his agents are crazy, a guy who can't dribble with his left hand doesn't deserve 15 million + no matter his other qualities.

Regardless of what hes looking for its obvious they put it out there to make him look bad. It's just PR, make it look like the guy was going to leave no matter what instead of you being the one who traded him out of town.

The Bulls will never see the draft pick and if by some miracle they do it won't be a great pick.

You're right about never seeing that pick.

SAC #1 Pick said:
Protection:
1-12 in 2014
1-10 in 2015
1-10 in 2016

Best case scenario is the Kings fix their shit and become a fringe playoff squad or barely miss this year, giving us a shot a decent mid-1st round pick in what looks to be a deep draft.\

Personally don't think its wow deal for either team. It will allow the Bulls a full-on tank tho, so there's that.

Regardless of what hes looking for its obvious they put it out there to make him look bad. It's just PR, make it look like the guy was going to leave no matter what instead of you being the one who traded him out of town.

I understand that, but the Bulls have struggled to draw top-tier talent since Jordan left despite having a ton of money available, playing in one of the best cities in the country and having a huge national fan base. Motherfucking a loyal soldier who your team doctors almost murdered after he played 60 minutes in a playoff game this quickly after his exit won't help diffuse the organization's shitty reputation.

Zeus Molecules

I understand that, but the Bulls have struggled to draw top-tier talent since Jordan left despite having a ton of money available, playing in one of the best cities in the country and having a huge national fan base. Motherfucking a loyal soldier who your team doctors almost murdered after he played 60 minutes in a playoff game this quickly after his exit won't help diffuse the organization's shitty reputation.

There's this thing called Chiraq going on at the moment.... its getting people killed bruh...

Emwitus

Hoping heat/clips get bynum and he makes a huge impact in the finals just so I can see Lakers fans or clown Gilbert go mental
I'd take a healthy Bynum in a heartbeat even with his clown attitude.Unfortunately that version died in 2012.anyone wanna bet he signs with okc tho?

linsivvi

Bynum is a lot more likely to be a useful player than Oden.

The reason why most people don't want him is that he's a piece of shit.

Emwitus

Bynum is a lot more likely to be a useful player than Oden.

The reason why most people don't want him is that he's a piece of shit.
More piece of shit than Beasley? At least he helped LA get two rings. Just as many as the cheat in the decision era

Nameless

As a Bulls fan I fully embrace tank mode. Hope those lottery balls fall our way again. I'll miss Loul, but he'll be 2 years older minimum by the time we're ready to compete again and there's already a ton of mileage on that vehicle. Glad we got something for him.

Now let's get Booozer outta here.

Bulls coach will break Bynum. Maybe hell play like a man with a fuck to give by the end of the season, which would help raise his trade stock

Top Bottom