• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Bowser

Isn't that the same deal he turned down in Chicago?

I'm assuming he thought he'd get a better deal on the open market. He's essentially back on a one year "prove it" deal after the disaster in Cleveland. If he helps the Heat tremendously as the 3rd banana (potentially 2nd pending how they deal with Wade's situation), he can opt out after the season and try to get a better deal elsewhere.

If that is true, no way this is a win for Deng. His market value must have dropped so significantly.

Why not? As I said above, if he plays well for Miami, he can opt out and try to get paid again next offseason as one of the marquee FAs on the market (I'm assuming Love will be traded by the deadline to a team he'll re-sign to and that Aldridge has already decided to re-up with Portland). If he doesn't, welp, he'll opt in and make his $10m.

Jonm1010

Banned
Granger + Deng

If Wade can play at least 55 games this season the Heat should still be in the eastern conference finals.
Haha. Heat didn't sign 2009-2010 Danny Granger. Heat signed 2014 Danny Granger. The guy who has missed almost 120 games in two seasons and has knees worse then Wades.

Danny Granger has inherited the Greg Oden "unrealistic expectations" award for the Miami Heat for this season.

Talon

Wait two years when he leaves cle without a championship to play with KD somewhere.

Its funny how espn completely ignores that Bron only signed a two year deal. At least Melo maxed his shit out and showed NY hes committed to keeping that franchise mediocre.

And Melo "going home" would be to the Wiz, he was raised in Baltimore.
ITT: Casual basketball fans don't understand contracts in the context of the CBA.

Bowser

ITT: Casual basketball fans don't understand contracts in the context of the CBA.

aC1pfB5.gif

Bowser

So Riles found a time machine, huh?

I do think that Chalmers/Wade/Deng/McBob/Bosh is #2 in the East. Here's how I think the East plays out (two scenarios because I'm a Hornets whore):

Hornets sign Lance
1. CLE
2. MIA
3. TOR
4. CHI
5. CHA
6. ATL
7. WASH
8. IND

Lance stays in Indy
1. CLE
2. MIA
3. TOR
4. IND
5. CHI
6. ATL
7. WASH
8. CHA

Bottom line: Southeast and Central divisions are bears, the Atlantic is a dumpster fire that Toronto will cruise through.

Talon

I do think that Chalmers/Wade/Deng/McBob/Bosh is #2 in the East. Here's how I think the East plays out (two scenarios because I'm a Hornets whore):

Hornets sign Lance
1. CLE
2. MIA
3. TOR
4. CHI
5. CHA
6. ATL
7. WASH
8. IND

Lance stays in Indy
1. CLE
2. MIA
3. TOR
4. IND
5. CHI
6. ATL
7. WASH
8. CHA

Bottom line: Southeast and Central divisions are bears, the Atlantic is a dumpster fire that Toronto will cruise through.
FA has barely gotten started, dawg. The East changes so much based on what happens to Monroe, Indy's PG situation, the Booz Cruise, inevitable PJ Hairston legal situation, etc.

Let's wait a month til we talk about the conference line up.
Dat Jab

Bowser

FA has barely gotten started, dawg. The East changes so much based on what happens to Monroe, Indy's PG situation, the Booz Cruise, inevitable PJ Hairston legal situation, etc.

Let's wait a month til we talk about the conference line up.

Well, my bottom line still rings true :p

Haha. Heat didn't sign 2009-2010 Danny Granger. Heat signed 2014 Danny Granger. The guy who has missed almost 120 games in two seasons and has knees worse then Wades.

Danny Granger has inherited the Greg Oden "unrealistic expectations" award for the Miami Heat for this season.

Including LeBron, Cavs only have 6 players with a better PER than broken down 2013-14 Granger, returning from injury that takes up to 18 months to recuperate from? You think Granger is a lock for the 6th man? And do you know how much Oden was paid? Cheap gambles equal unrealistic expectations?

Half of me wants Bron to get a title for that city, but clown shit like this makes me want to see the organization's incompetence rear its head again. Three #1 picks in 4 years and the geographic lottery has you all feeling a bit too high off your own supply.

Talon

Regardless of what happens with Love, if they have to go with a Irving - Waiters - Wiggins - Lebron - Varejao lineup, it would be fun to watch from just a sheer athleticism perspective.

Cloudy

Banned
Thinking about it more, I guess it shows how easily influenced most people are by the media.

The criticism for leaving in 2010 was over the top and that made even casual fans see him as a villain. Now the media is going overboard praising him for a blatantly self-serving decision and the public follows suit.

Thinking about it more, I guess it shows how easily influenced most people are by the media.

The criticism for leaving in 2010 was over the top and that made even casual fans see him as a villain. Now the media is going overboard praising him for a blatantly self-serving decision and the public follows suit.

The exact same people. It is pretty incredible. "I thought that guy was a piece of shit, but now.. He's not so bad. Fuck the Heat!"

I disagree that it is blatantly self-serving. He could have signed for two years with better teams and then returned. I still think his short-term chances were better in Miami.

Please. The public does not need the media's help. LeBron going home is a story everyone can relate to. Only the irrational, sans Miami fans, are struggling to understand it.

Cloudy

Banned
I disagree that it is blatantly self-serving. He could have signed for two years with better teams and then returned. I still think his short-term chances were better in Miami.

Again, there is NO WAY he could have gone to another team besides Cleveland. He would have been DESTROYED in the media and he knew it.

As for short-term chances, I think they are at worst the same in Cleveland (NBA futures have Cavs favored to win it all). Long-term, it's Cavs with no contest. What made the Heat special was the Bron+Wade combo and deadly 3pt shooters. Wade is a shell and they have no reliable shooters anymore.

Bron realized he wasn't winning any more rings there and decided to return to the Cavs earlier than he'd planned. This way he avoids the stench of "title or bust" failure and plays pressure-free ball at home.

Heat fans should be really worried about Wade cos Bron clearly thinks he's not good enough to win titles anymore...even with a Big 3.

Again, there is NO WAY he could have gone to another team besides Cleveland. He would have been DESTROYED in the media and he knew it.

As for short-term chances, I think they are at worst the same in Cleveland (NBA futures have Cavs favored to win it all). Long-term, it's Cavs with no contest. What made the Heat special was the Bron+Wade combo and deadly 3pt shooters. Wade is a shell and they have no reliable shooters anymore.

Bron realized he wasn't winning any more rings there and decided to return to the Cavs earlier than he'd planned. This way he avoids the stench of "title or bust" failure and plays pressure-free ball at home.

Heat fans should be really worried about Wade cos Bron clearly thinks he's not good enough to win titles anymore...even with a Big 3.

Are you predicting that the Heat will have a worst record than the 2012-2013 Cavaliers? Or you think LeBron was 100% certain that they could get Love?

Cloudy

Banned
Are you predicting that the Heat will have a worst record than the 2012-2013 Cavaliers? Or you think LeBron was 100% certain that they could get Love?

Even without Love, Cavs with Bron is better than Heat without him. I will bet you anything Cleveland has a better record than Miami this year

Yeah Lebron couldn't go anywhere other than CLE, however the flipside is this:

People are praising him for saying that he's in CLE for the long term but the truth is really the fact that he CAN'T leave CLE. He would be destroyed for leaving there twice so he's stuck there.

Bowser

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 10m
Free agent guard Brian Roberts has agreed to a two-year, $5.5M-plus deal with the Charlotte Hornets, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

There's the vet PG.

Lol @ Chicago in 4th or 5th in the East. Will be top 3 easily.

I don't give a fuck if the Bulls win 60 games again and finish 1st in the East. They aren't winning a championship. Same fucking holes as usual. No three point shooters. I can't count any of the rookies since they haven't proven shit in the real NBA yet. No 2nd guy to handle the ball to create other then Rose.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Charlotte had been pursuing free agent Kirk Hinrich, but belief is that he's destined to sign with Bulls, league sources tell Yahoo.

Another year of Mr. Glass, it looks like.

Another year of Mr. Glass, it looks like.

Would you keep Augustine instead???

There are arguments for both sides but despite his poor playoff performance, DJ did just about everything right and I'd keep the firepower.

Hinrich can still play but he's inconsistent offensively and obviously old and worn out to an extent.

His size and defense just resonate so much with Thibodeau.

Would you keep Augustine instead???

There are arguments for both sides but despite his poor playoff performance, DJ did just about everything right and I'd keep the firepower.

Hinrich can still play but he's inconsistent offensively and obviously old and worn out to an extent.

His size and defense just resonate so much with Thibodeau.

Hinrich, when healthy, is one of the better guard defenders. He's had such a bad history with health though his whole career with the Bulls and the Wiz and Hawks as well. I'd prefer Augustin because the Bulls need offense more than anything, but Augustin is going to get paid somewhere.

Cheddahz

Banned
Dumping Gortat

Do you mean Asik?

EDIT: Anyways, why didn't Houston just pick up Parsons' option in the first place (I mean, it was only like $900,000)?

Rockets Manager - "Hey, why don't we just match someone's offer for Parsons rather than just get him for cheap this year?
Rockets Owner - "This is a great idea! We might as well just save that $900,000 for Carmelo!"
Rockets Manager - "Yeah and with this option, we can hopefully keep Lin as well!"

I'd argue the Bulls had a worse off-season if you include losing Deng for a minor upgrade in 34 year old Gasol over Boozer. Trading two picks for McBuckets. Can't find some dumb ass team to take Boozer. There's too many dumb GM's not to be able to find a place for Boozer.

Top Bottom