• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Bowser

Lance basically told Indy to fuck off:

Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner
Nugget @ end of update RT @Andrew_Perna: The #Pacers were not given a chance to match Charlotte’s offer on Lance, per @CandaceDBuckner

phanphare

Banned
Wonder how much of the Lance move was Bird just being sick of his shit and finding him to be a locker room liability.

well they offered him 2 separate 5-year deals...

could have been a strategic move because they knew Lance wouldn't sign but I highly doubt you'd throw 2 5-year deals on the table if you didn't want that player back

Bowser

Bron getting the band back together:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
RT @JasonLloydABJ: #Cavs have signed James Jones to one-year deal for league minimum, source tells the Beacon Journal

Based Lance.
Possibility of Heat - Cavs ECF is more alive than ever.
5AAf7WF.png

Holiday jerseys revealed:

Barf.
Looks alright. Last years xmas jerseys were the worst i've seen since i started watching basketball.

Exokell

Banned
Bron getting the band back together:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
RT @JasonLloydABJ: #Cavs have signed James Jones to one-year deal for league minimum, source tells the Beacon Journal

that letter basically dictated whose his teammate gonna be, and its not Wiggins or Bennet. Love is coming.

Also, Hornets are gonna be really good this season.

phanphare

Banned
No matchup is impossible when we talk about the east.

true I just don't see it. granted the Cavs could come out swinging but I'm of the opinion that their offense is going to need some time to gel and the defenses in the east are no slouches so it'll be even harder for them to find some consistency. especially in the post-season.

and the Heat making it to the ECF? lolno

Siegcram

true I just don't see it. granted the Cavs could come out swinging but I'm of the opinion that their offense is going to need some time to gel and the defenses in the east are no slouches so it'll be even harder for them to find some consistency. especially in the post-season.

I'm not saying it's likely, but pretty much every team in the east has one or several question marks attached to it.

I have no idea how that standing will shape up from 1-10.

It's the east. anything is possible. Unless the cavs get love, it's more likely that the heat are in the ECF than the cavs.

The heat have at least a 3 seed team in the east right now, if wade can lose some weight and adjust his game and deng and bosh play well enough. The pacers got weaker now that they don't have Lance, the wizards are better but still not terrific, and the nets are garbage. The cavs will be decent, no doubt, but besides the cavs who else could be better than the heat? the hornets?

The bulls replaced one defensively bad forward with another in Pau and Rose is as unknown a quantity as he has ever been. You add Thibs tendency to play his starters heavy minutes and the bulls will be a solid midtier seed. Pau adds a bit of offense to them, sure, but it all comes down to how reliable rose will be after having taken 2 straight seasons off.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bulls/Cavs/Heat/Hornets/Wizards/Raptors/Pacers make a much more interesting east than last season. Those are all winning teams at least on paper.

phanphare

Banned
It's the east. anything is possible. Unless the cavs get love, it's more likely that the heat are in the ECF than the cavs.

The heat have at least a 3 seed team in the east right now, if wade can lose some weight and adjust his game and deng and bosh play well enough. The pacers got weaker now that they don't have Lance, the wizards are better but still not terrific, and the nets are garbage. The cavs will be decent, no doubt, but besides the cavs who else could be better than the heat? the hornets?

yes

I'd put the bulls, wizards, cavs, hornets, and possibly even toronto over the heat. d wade already looked like he was losing key elements of his game last season and that was when he was afforded the opportunity to rest up during the regular season.

Two Words

I don't get how people thinkthink the Cavs won'tmake it to the ECF. Three questions.

1. Is this team better or worse than the Cavs team that made it to the ECF in 2010?
2/ Is Lebron James better or worse than he was in 2010?
3. Is the Eastern Conference better or worse than it was in 2010?

All three answers point to the Cavs making it to the ECF.

yes

I'd put the bulls, wizards, cavs, hornets, and possibly even toronto over the heat. d wade already looked like he was losing key elements of his game last season and that was when he was afforded the opportunity to rest up during the regular season.

he looked bad...in the NBA Finals. Before that, he was having his best season in a couple of years.

The Wiz might be decent this year, ill give you that, but the cavs right now is Lebron with heat leftovers and some young but not-quite-there players, the hornets have upgraded but no one in their right mind would say that they're a top 2-3 team, and toronto got beat by an aging nets team that was almost swept out of the playoffs.

The east will be the most interesting it's been since the Big 3 came together 4 years ago and i look forward to it but saying that the heat have no chance at the ECF is kinda ridiculous given that there isn't a team that really has substantially upgraded outside of the Cavs in the east.

I don't get how people thinkthink the Cavs won'tmake it to the ECF. Three questions.

1. Is this team better or worse than the Cavs team that made it to the ECF in 2010?
It's probably better but the conference as a whole is also a lot better than it was in 2010, too.
2/ Is Lebron James better or worse than he was in 2010?
Better, but unless they add Love to that team it won't be the clearcut best team in the East.
3. Is the Eastern Conference better or worse than it was in 2010?
Better. These are all possible playoff teams in the east: Bulls, Heat, Wiz, Hornets, Toronto, Cavs, Pacers. Of those teams, only the Pacers and the Heat got worse. The rest are just as good as last year or better.

All three answers point to the Cavs making it to the ECF.

phanphare

Banned
he looked bad...in the NBA Finals. Before that, he was having his best season in a couple of years.

The Wiz might be decent this year, ill give you that, but the cavs right now is Lebron with heat leftovers and some young but not-quite-there players, the hornets have upgraded but no one in their right mind would say that they're a top 2-3 team, and toronto got beat by an aging nets team that was almost swept out of the playoffs.

The east will be the most interesting it's been since the Big 3 came together 4 years ago and i look forward to it but saying that the heat have no chance at the ECF is kinda ridiculous given that there isn't a team that really has substantially upgraded outside of the Cavs in the east.

that's kind of my point though. with lebron on the Heat wade was afforded the ability to rest up during the regular season. now they can either do that again and take a hit with him off the court or have him play more and see if he can hang.

and don't be sleepin' on my horncats ;) we've been playing a higher level of basketball since the all-star break last season and hopefully that trend will continue.

that's kind of my point though. with lebron on the Heat wade was afforded the ability to rest up during the regular season. now they can either do that again and take a hit with him off the court or have him play more and see if he can hang.

and don't be sleepin' on my horncats ;) we've been playing a higher level of basketball since the all-star break last season and hopefully that trend will continue.

Naw, the hornets would've given the heat a better series than the nets and maybe even the pacers if Al didn't get hurt in that series. Lance MIGHT make them better, but that depends on whether he played well this year since it was a contract year or if he is legit becoming a better player.

But come on, even you can't see the hornets in the ECF. And the worst thing about all these teams getting better is that the spurs haven't gotten worse meaning that the east is just playing for who gets to be swept by the Spurs in 2015.

Bread

Banned

The east may have better 4-8 seeds, but I don't see any team right now capable of beating the top west teams.

The east is not as top heavy as it was 4 years ago, but I don't think that makes it a tougher conference. There's no team that compares to the Celtics of 2010.

Two Words

Comparing teams as they are now to as they were in 2010:

Bulls got worse- Lost Boozer, Asik, Deng, and Rose's health is questionable.
Celtics got worse- They are in total rebuild mode now. They were the best in the East.
Pacers got better- But they've now become worse and they've always been considered too inconsistent even at their best.
Heat got better- They were tanking back in 2010, but now they will be far worse without Lebron.
Knicks got better- But they are still a total mess
Wizards got better- They still have a lot to prove and losing Ariza will hurt them.
Hornets got better- Another team with a lot to prove. Lance is a gamble that may pay off or hurt them.
Rapters got better- Still not a conference contender, but better.
Nets got better- They're still a big wreck and aging. They just have a much much higher salary now.

Everybody else is irrelevent. But in my eyes, the East is far more open at the top than it was in 2010. There are more teams able to be not complete embarrassments, but they're still first-round exits. There is no champion-level team in the East now like there was in 2010 with the Celtics.

Bowser

Pacers players tried to get management to sweeten their offer to Lance apparently:

The Pacers made an offer of five years and $44 million to Stephenson, and while his teammates in Indiana attempted to nudge the Pacers into finding a way to make a better offer and keep Stephenson, management did not budge.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...-pacers-mavericks-al-jefferson-steve-clifford

Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s · 15h
Over last 2 seasons, Lance has started 150 reg sun and 38 playoff gms for an EC Finalist & been paid <$1.9 mm

Tim Donahue @TimDonahue8p9s · 15h
The $3.4mm Lance Stephenson has been pd over his 4-yr NBA career is $1.2mm less than Evan Turner was paid as a rookie.

lulz

David Aldridge &#8207;@daldridgetnt 30m
Rival GM on Pacers losing Born Ready to Charlotte: "That is a big blow. We couldn't guard him."

Pacers plan to reload with...Rodney Stuckey?

Marc Stein &#8207;@ESPNSteinLine 22m
Also hearing Pacers are expressing serious interest in Rodney Stuckey to fill backcourt void created by Lance Stephenson's move to Charlotte

phanphare

Banned
Naw, the hornets would've given the heat a better series than the nets and maybe even the pacers if Al didn't get hurt in that series. Lance MIGHT make them better, but that depends on whether he played well this year since it was a contract year or if he is legit becoming a better player.

But come on, even you can't see the hornets in the ECF. And the worst thing about all these teams getting better is that the spurs haven't gotten worse meaning that the east is just playing for who gets to be swept by the Spurs in 2015.

I can indeed. even if Lance doesn't add anything to our offense (which he will) he is a great defender. having him and MKG on the floor together is going to be ridiculous. also our young guys are starting to come along. Zeller made huge strides in confidence after the all-star break and was turning into an offensive put-back machine. also MKG's a critical part of our defense, obviously, but his offense (not jump shot unfortunately) started looking much better in the series with the Heat. he had a couple of 20 point games, if I'm remembering correctly. and Kemba's gonna Kemba. we're also a team that thrives on chemistry and energy, which I think bodes well for the post season. we can scrap man.

lol, so true about the Spurs though

RedAssedApe

Banned
Stuff like this just makes me laugh at everyone involved. Including ESPN posting this as news...

Napier unfollows Lebron on Twitter

"The whole thing about that is I don't know how to work Twitter yet and I'm not on my Twitter, so I don't know where that came from," Napier said following the Heat's 85-83 loss to the Washington Wizards at Las Vegas Summer League.

Napier joined Twitter on June 25, a day before he was drafted by the Heat. He followed James shortly thereafter. But days after James decided to return to Cleveland, the point guard's account, @ShabazzNapier, no longer follows James' account, @KingJames, and any tweets sent toward James have been removed.

Blablurn

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

Official Melo contract numbers via ESPN sources: $22,458,401, $22,875,000, $24,559,380, $26,243,760, $27,928,140. Total: $124,064,681

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

Official Melo contract numbers via ESPN sources: $22,458,401, $22,875,000, $24,559,380, $26,243,760, $27,928,140. Total: $124,064,681

I love how ESPN and other media sources talk about Melo taking a pay cut when you got guys like Dirk and Duncan taking real pay cuts. Get the fuck out of here.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I love how ESPN and other media sources talk about Melo taking a pay cut when you got guys like Dirk and Duncan taking real pay cuts. Get the fuck out of here.

On the flip nobody is talking about Bosh getting paid 118 million and how he is all about the money either. And while it wasn't a major pay cut it wasn just enough for the knicks to be able to go after another Max player next year.

I've said this before but I'm really hoping greg monroe takes his QO. I really want to see him in the triangle next to Melo even more than Marc Gasol. Also him being younger means the knicks could build around him once Melo is gone.

How the fuck are you comparing Melo -- who's still in his prime -- to players like Duncan/Dirk who are past it and are only concerned with winning? They've already made their money and are at the stage of their careers where they've only played on one team. These organizations have proven to be winners and competent in the moves that they make. It's a no brainer to take less if you're a past-your-prime-superstar. How do you justify Melo making slightly more than Gordan Heyward on The Bulls? The players were routed in the CBA negotiations and now you want to them sacrifice even more money and get paid less than their market value to appease money hungry owners? Makes no sense. Dirk/Duncan are in unique situations.

On the flip nobody is talking about Bosh getting paid 118 million and how he is all about the money either. And while it wasn't a major pay cut it wasn just enough for the knicks to be able to go after another Max player next year.

I've said this before but I'm really hoping greg monroe takes his QO. I really want to see him in the triangle next to Melo even more than Marc Gasol. Also him being younger means the knicks could build around him once Melo is gone.

Greg Monroe is overrated. Marc Gasol is way better fit with Melo than Monroe.

Zeus Molecules

Greg Monroe is overrated. Marc Gasol is way better fit with Melo than Monroe.

Greg Monroe is not as nice as Marc (especially on defense) but he is a great scoring and Passing center. If you look at the clusterfuck that is detroit's frontcourt I'm not surprised he took a step back last season. He is also a whole lot younger and he is also a cheaper max by about 5 million.

If JR opts out (and considering the money out there he really might). The knicks could Max out Greg Monroe, and still have about 10 million in Money to throw at somebody else. That too me is a better plan than going all in on Melo and Gasol

Greg Monroe is not as nice as Marc (especially on defense) but he is a great scoring and Passing center. If you look at the clusterfuck that is detroit's frontcourt I'm not surprised he took a step back last season. He is also a whole lot younger and he is also a cheaper max by about 5 million.

If JR opts out (and considering the money out there he really might). The knicks could Max out Greg Monroe, and still have about 10 million in Money to throw at somebody else. That too me is a better plan than going all in on Melo and Gasol

Marc Garsol is arguably one of the best passing centers in the league. The fuck.

Zeus Molecules

Marc Garsol is arguably one of the best passing centers in the league. The fuck.

Yeah I admitted he wasn't as good as Marc. Once again my reasoning against Marc is Marc is older (and worn down from playing out west) so I would prefer if the knicks try to get a younger center who is also a great passer/scorer and cheaper and use those savings to grab another good player with the 10 million (if JR Opts out). In the long term I think that would be a lot more beneficial to the the knicks than if they just paired Gasol with Melo.

Tom Penny

If there are no big moves AKA Love to Cavs there is no favorite in the East. All the playoff teams will be pretty good but I can't foresee a great one that is taking out a Western team in the finals.

From MJ to MJ

Earvin Magic Johnson &#8207;@MagicJohnson 32m
MJ is building a potential powerhouse in Charlotte, proving the naysayers wrong, that he does know what he's doing.

Earvin Magic Johnson &#8207;@MagicJohnson 37m
Congrats to my friend & Charlotte Hornets Owner Michael Jordan on signing Lance Stephenson!

How the fuck are you comparing Melo -- who's still in his prime -- to players like Duncan/Dirk who are past it and are only concerned with winning? They've already made their money and are at the stage of their careers where they've only played on one team. These organizations have proven to be winners and competent in the moves that they make. It's a no brainer to take less if you're a past-your-prime-superstar. How do you justify Melo making slightly more than Gordan Heyward on The Bulls? The players were routed in the CBA negotiations and now you want to them sacrifice even more money and get paid less than their market value to appease money hungry owners? Makes no sense. Dirk/Duncan are in unique situations.

I have no problem with Melo taking the money. Just don't call it a pay cut. It's a joke.

Two Words

To be fair, Melo is still in his prime and Dirk and Duncan didn't take big paycuts in their prime. When Dirk signed his contract in 2010, they called it a paycut when he just took 16 million less than his 4 year max deal would have allowed.

Bread

Banned
Yeah I admitted he wasn't as good as Marc. Once again my reasoning against Marc is Marc is older (and worn down from playing out west) so I would prefer if the knicks try to get a younger center who is also a great passer/scorer and cheaper and use those savings to grab another good player with the 10 million (if JR Opts out). In the long term I think that would be a lot more beneficial to the the knicks than if they just paired Gasol with Melo.
Monroe isn't even that effective as a center

he's a poor man's Horford, definitely not someone you should ever take over Marc Gasol.

Top Bottom