• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

Official Melo contract numbers via ESPN sources: $22,458,401, $22,875,000, $24,559,380, $26,243,760, $27,928,140. Total: $124,064,681

Absolutely atrocious. Melo is never going to be the guy to lead anyone to a title, and thus should not be paid as such. But he's a charming dude with a nice smile, I guess, so that counts for something.

you think extending klay for 15 is ok?

If it's the going rate, then yes I do.

I'm hoping he'll sign for 12-13 mil per though.

That is still only scratching the surface of Thompson's defense. He plays this terrific brand of on-ball defense against virtually every team's best backcourt player. The Portland Trail Blazers are in town? Thompson is guarding Damian Lillard. The Warriors are playing the Houston Rockets? Thompson is on James Harden.

He not only guards the gauntlet of Western Conference backcourt studs night in and night out, but he does so for over 35 minutes a night.

And every night.

In three NBA seasons, Thompson has missed exactly one game—and it was for his grandfather's funeral. He has played more minutes than all but six players over the past two years, while guarding elite players effectively enough for the Warriors to be the best defensive team in the Western Conference last season.

Somehow, he still found the energy to hit over 223 threes at a 42 percent clip.

Back to that one game Thompson missed, though. If, while watching him for 81 games last season, you somehow missed everything he brings to the Warriors, re-watching that March 14 game against the Cleveland Cavaliers should do the trick.

Cleveland's backcourt, which was led by Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters and Jarrett Jack, scored 49 combined points. But it wasn't the sheer scoring output that did it. They controlled the game. They were calm and dominant. The Warriors had no answer.

The guards shot 20-of-38 from the field and 7-of-12 from deep. They all dished out four assists.

The Eastern Conference gonna be fun to watch this year. With all these players moving and some staying, it looks like the records for the first seed through the eighth spot for the playoffs could be about 6-8 games.

Last 3 weeks gunnabeguud.gif

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Monroe isn't even that effective as a center

he's a poor man's Horford, definitely not someone you should ever take over Marc Gasol.

Once again based on having more cap money and his youth I still support going after the lesser player in Monroe.

Also Klay at 15 which is a max is crazy to me.

I don't know about Thompson though when it comes to the playoffs. He needs to increase his efficiency. When you got him and Curry taking as many shots as they do, it'll make you either win or lose obviously. Splash brothers is great for the regular season, but I'm not sold on it just yet for the playoffs.

HavAI9Q.png

That's a lot of fucking three point attempts for 2 dudes shooting sub .400 in their 3P%

Tom Penny

If it's the going rate, then yes I do.

I'm hoping he'll sign for 12-13 mil per though.

He has a per of 14, doesn't get to the line, attack and create his own shot or for others and is an average at best rebounder. Throw him with Rubio who doesn't draw doubles and what is he? Is he going to run around screens all day because you're not giving him the ball and clearing out. Avery Bradley is a great defender and I hate having to pay him 8 with his like 13 per rating..

phanphare

Banned
Charlotte Hornets heck of an addition. At least they won't get swept by the Heat anymore. Hornets can actually beat the Heat. I won't be surprised.

that sweep had a lot to do with Big Al's injury in the first quarter of game 1. not saying we would have won the series or anything but we would have definitely taken a game or two if he was healthy. Al straight up bullied the Heat when Lebron had that 60-point game.

charsace

Once again based on having more cap money and his youth I still support going after the lesser player in Monroe.

Also Klay at 15 which is a max is crazy to me.
Monroe plays no defense. Drummond is the only guy that should get max contract talk.

Lance's contract is great. The kid is a completely different player from what he was in hs and college. He has shown that he is willing to do the things it takes to win games.

The Eastern Conference gonna be fun to watch this year. With all these players moving and some staying, it looks like the records for the first seed through the eighth spot for the playoffs could be about 6-8 games.

Last 3 weeks gunnabeguud.gif

We're finally going to see what 2010 would have been like had only Bosh and Wade signed with Miami. More competitive and not just one team with a real chance. Lebron really did make things right like Superman going back in time by flying around the planet.

We're finally going to see what 2010 would have been like had only Bosh and Wade signed with Miami. More competitive and not just one team with a real chance. Lebron really did make things right like Superman going back in time by flying around the planet.

Sure Lebron going back to Cleveland balances out power in the east but, all it did was guarantee no one in the Eastern Conference( outside of the bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose) would win the championship. The Western Conference Final will proabably be the defacto championship next year.

Except for Rockets fans, I think has been a pretty exciting FA for a lot of people. I can't wait for the season to come around. Especially since I don't have any baseball to watch this year :/

rvy

Banned
When is Boogie coming up in FA? I want Boogie. We need Boogie. Boogie will deliver a ring with Kobe and 3 muppets.

Edit, fuck he signed an extension.

Sure Lebron going back to Cleveland balances out power in the east but, all it did was guarantee no one in the Eastern Conference( outside of the bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose) would win the championship. The Western Conference Final will proabably be the defacto championship next year.

I think that'd still be the case if the Heat stayed together and Lance didn't leave. West is too strong. I'd like to see the Spurs finally repeat. if my Bulls don't make it to the finals.

jwhit28

lol.

Looks like Pacers are gonna attempt to replace Lance's minutes with a combination of CJ Miles and Rodney Stuckey. They signed Stuckey for one year on a vet min deal - not a bad signing, especially when Orlando is throwing out $9m to Ben Gordon and $5.5m to Luke Ridnour.

Not a bad deal with Rodney Stuckey. Hopefully George Hill can show some of the promise he had with the Spurs for the Pacers.

They still seem destined for 3rd in that division, even if they would have kept Lance.

It's neat that Charlotte has Patrick Ewing on staff and 2 NYC high school legends in Lance and Kemba.

Fjordson

So Brandon Rush is coming back to Golden State. Two year deal.

Okay I guess? Not sure how valuable he'll be post injury, but if he's close to where he was during his first tenure at Golden State then I guess this is a nice pickup. We definitely need the depth.

Bowser

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 33m
Free agent forward Ed Davis has reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, league source tells Yahoo.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 32m
Davis' deal is two years, $2M, with a player option on the 2015-'16 season.

Wow, great deal by the Lakers.

Apath

Comparing teams as they are now to as they were in 2010:

Bulls got worse- Lost Boozer, Asik, Deng, and Rose's health is questionable.
Eh, this is arguable. Noah has improved greatly, Butler has taken Deng's place, Gibson has improved greatly, and we now have Pau Gasol and Mirotic. What we are dependent on is a healthy Rose, which will dictate how well the 2014-2015 Bulls compare to the 2010-2011 team.

Eh, this is arguable. Noah has improved greatly, Butler has taken Deng's place, Gibson has improved greatly, and we now have Pau Gasol and Mirotic. What we are dependent on is a healthy Rose, which will dictate how well the 2014-2015 Bulls compare to the 2010-2011 team.

Once the Bulls let him go, the overrating of Asik officially began.

I liked him and wanted him to be retained but if it really was between him and Taj, the Bulls made the only decision they could have.

Asik is a wall on defense and very smart defensively but Taj actually has a skillset.

Apath

One the Bulls let him go, the overrating of Asik officially began.

I liked him and wanted him to be retained but if it really was between him and Taj, the Bulls made the only decision they could have.

Asik is a wall on defense and very smart defensively but Taj actually has a skillset.
Asik was great and I was really upset when the Rockets stole him away, but yeah, I would take Taj over Asik any day of the week.

Cloudy

Banned
Ed Davis signing is decent but Lakers are doing the same thing they did last year. A team of mercenaries with separate agendas

PS: Why is no one mentioning Riley's presser anymore? He basically called LeBron put for having no guts if he left

watershed

Banned
Ed Davis signing is decent but Lakers are doing the same thing they did last year. A team of mercenaries with separate agendas

PS: Why is no one mentioning Riley's presser anymore? He basically called LeBron put for having no guts if he left

Riley's attitude was too aggressive in his press conference. His major point was right: winning is hard and losing isn't the end. But I think his tone was off putting. Not sure if that made any difference to Lebron or anyone else though.

Cloudy

Banned
Riley's attitude was too aggressive in his press conference. His major point was right: winning is hard and losing isn't the end. But I think his tone was off putting. Not sure if that made any difference to Lebron or anyone else though.

Maybe a bit aggressive but it was the truth. I cannot believe LeBron gets to cut and run at the first sign of trouble while claiming he's "going home" with little to no skepticism. The sports media is disgraceful

watershed

Banned
Maybe a bit aggressive but it was the truth. I cannot believe LeBron gets to cut and run at the first sign of trouble while claiming he's "going home" with little to no skepticism. The sports media is disgraceful

Of course the fact that great teams lose is true. But Riley sounded like a politician trying to hold back a storm. It might also be true that Dwayne Wade isn't getting any younger or healthier and that the Heat roster did not look well poised for the future. Lebron's PR team did a great job pre-empting any criticism with the "going home" message. Now if you criticize Lebron's move you sound cynical and cold.

What's the consensus here? Trade Wiggins for Love, Yay or Nay? Seems execs around the league are pretty much split.

Wiggins could be amazing 3-4 years from now, but LeBron is in win now, middle of his prime. Love would most likely ensure top billing in the east, at least on paper.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Of course the fact that great teams lose is true. But Riley sounded like a politician trying to hold back a storm. It might also be true that Dwayne Wade isn't getting any younger or healthier and that the Heat roster did not look well poised for the future. Lebron's PR team did a great job pre-empting any criticism with the "going home" message. Now if you criticize Lebron's move you sound cynical and cold.

I guess they learned after the whole decision debacle you got to give people a believable excuse when you break up, not go on TV and throw a party.

Cloudy

Banned
What's the consensus here? Trade Wiggins for Love, Yay or Nay? Seems execs around the league are pretty much split.

Wiggins could be amazing 3-4 years from now, but LeBron is in win now, middle of his prime. Love would most likely ensure top billing in the east, at least on paper.

I don't get this. If Love really wants to come, why not wait and sign him in FA without giving up anything? This also keeps "win now" pressure off a team that could win it all this year anyways. If Melo would have done this instead of forcing his way to NY, Knicks would be in much better shape

I don't get this. If Love really wants to come, why not wait and sign him in FA without giving up anything? This also keeps "win now" pressure off a team that could win it all this year anyways. If Melo would have done this instead of forcing his way to NY, Knicks would be in much better shape

Cavs can't just sign him as a FA, they'd be way over the cap. The only possibility is a sign and trade.

Wolves obviously want max value for him, but their asking price is too high as with one year left on his contract, when the only team Love has publicly expressed any interest in, is the Cavaliers which he would re-up.

Cloudy

Banned
Cavs can't just sign him as a FA, they'd be way over the cap. The only possibility is a sign and trade.

Wolves obviously want max value for him, but their asking price is too high as with one year left on his contract, when the only team Love has publicly expressed any interest in, is the Cavaliers which he would re-up.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

Varaejo's 10mil comes off the books after this year and Kyrie's deal kicks in but why not go over the cap if it means not giving up on Wiggins?

Top Bottom