• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Old pic, but LOL Melo

9Aryqi0.jpg

Tom Penny

Laughing for what? Dude's making 25 million in 3 years, that's 10x the average lifetime earnings of someone with a masters degree.

So what? He could have been making 30x more than people with a masters degree and still had the same chance at titles. He bent over himself because Cuban was cheap.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Pat Riley in statement: "Luol Deng is one of the most important free agent signings that we have ever had in the history of the franchise."

I like deng a lot, but damn.

Cru

So what? He could have been making 30x more than people with a masters degree and still had the same chance at titles. He bent over himself because Cuban was cheap.

Dirk is in the top 5 in career earnings. Think he gives a fuck about money or playing for two shit teams?

Pimpwerx

I got no issues with Arison, but he should have sucked it up and held onto Miller. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Miller was always injured, contributed very little to the two championships on the court, and saved a max contract's worth of money. Plus, LeBron wanted to leave anyway. I don't think there's anything Riley could've done. Look at how he's recovered since LeBron left. He probably knew it wasn't going to be enough to keep LeBron here. PEACE.

@WojYahooNBA said:
Washington, Boston have completed sign-and-trade for Kris Humphries, source says. Boston gets a trade exception and protected 2nd round pick

I wonder just how protected that pick is. I assume it's something we'll never see.

Pat Riley in statement: "Luol Deng is one of the most important free agent signings that we have ever had in the history of the franchise."

I like deng a lot, but damn.

Deng's awesome but he could have said that for two reasons:

1. As a fuck you to LeBron

2. Just the professionalism, character and maturity of Deng

Anyone that knows basketball knows Deng can play.

He's not a spring chicken anymore but him going to the Heat would have physically upset me if LeBron was still there(it still hurts a bit).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
There is being loyal and being dumb. Granted Cuban could have a suitcase of money waiting for him but I'm not leaving 40+ million on the table.

Come on, let's be real here. The contract is for $25m, but he's not leaving $40m on the table. Cuban will take care of Dirk forever. Dirk is not dumb.

Tom Penny

Come on, let's be real here. The contract is for $25m, but he's not leaving $40m on the table. Cuban will take care of Dirk forever. Dirk is not dumb.

Over the next 4 years he left 40+ on the table based on getting max from Houston. I'm sure his going away party contacts will be absurd when his career is winding down but that's what he just did regardless.

Two Words

I think Dirk just likes Dallas and likes the idea of playing out his career in Dallas. You gotta remember that Cuban and Nelson were the ones to really take a shot at Dirk. There was a good stretch there where people thought Dirk wouldn't be able to adjust to NBA-style basketball and thought he couldn't be the main piece of a championship team. Dirk was always considered absolutely 100% by Cuban and the Mavs organization even when players like Kobe and Shaq were possibly available for trade with the Lakers interested. Dirk does not have an agent and negotiates his contracts himself. I think him and Cuban have a very good relationship and Dirk doesn't really care if he makes max money anymore. He probably recognizes that he is no longer a player that really deserves max money.

This video of Dirk getting Punk'd gives you a good idea of his character.

zychi

Banned
If LeBron wins 2 or 3 rings with Cleveland, does that make him the GOAT?

Not even close, he has a .500 finals record, and would only have 5 rings.

Russel and Jordan are above. Lebron lost his chance at GOAT when he got swept by SAS in Cle.

Jordan, as a Bull during the 6 rings, never lost 3 games in a row.

Russell has too many rings for his fingers.

Love him or hate him, Lebron is still one of the most fun players to watch tho.

Two Words

Not even close, he has a .500 finals record, and would only have 5 rings.

Russel and Jordan are above. Lebron lost his chance at GOAT when he got swept by SAS in Cle.

Jordan, as a Bull during the 6 rings, never lost 3 games in a row.

Russell has too many rings for his fingers.

I hate ring pissing contest debates. Do you realize you've made a comparison of 3 players without comparing a single part of their game. Comparing rings are for people that can't compare players.

zychi

Banned
I hate ring pissing contest debates. Do you realize you've made a comparison of 3 players without comparing a single part of their game. Comparing rings are for people that can't compare players.

Lebron has nothing in common with either player besides rings.

Russ was a true Center
MJ was a true SG

Lebron can guard, and play just about any position on the floor.

Lebron plays in the flop era
MJ dealt with the hack era
Both had ref favoritism

Two Words

Lebron has nothing in common with either player besides rings.

Russ was a true Center
MJ was a true SG

Lebron can guard, and play just about any position on the floor.

Lebron plays in the flop era
MJ dealt with the hack era
Both had ref favoritism

Lebron has to deal with zone defense, Jordan didn't. Both Lebron and MJ dealt with far more teams competing for a championship than Russell. A lot of Russell's rings were earned when there were fewer than 10 teams in the league.

And what do you mean you can't compare them? They are both playing the same sport. You can judge who is the better passer, shot creator, play creator, man to man defender, team defender, most versatile, etc etc. The whole "Nuh uh, X guy has more rings so he is better" is just silly. I guess Robert Horry is better than Lebron too then?

The Red Rocket Bonner re-signed for next year. Spurs repeat confirmed

rZa1iCr.jpg
all aboard the red rocket!

paul gasul does't want to win another ring?
good luck in the least coast!

i don't have find him that fun to watch. i mean. he's not as graceful a dancer on the court that jordan was. footwork still looks kinda clunky. and still the same powerdunks all the time. but that's always been bron bron's style.

if he claims 2-3 rings for cleveland. tho. he's arguably top 5 of all time.

zychi

Banned
Lebron has to deal with zone defense, Jordan didn't. Both Lebron and MJ dealt with far more teams competing for a championship than Russell. A lot of Russell's rings were earned when there were fewer than 10 teams in the league.

And what do you mean you can't compare them? They are both playing the same sport. You can judge who is the better passer, shot creator, play creator, man to man defender, team defender, most versatile, etc etc. The whole "Nuh uh, X guy has more rings so he is better" is just silly. I guess Robert Horry is better than Lebron too then?

He asked for best ever comparisons. Horry is no where in that convo.

The top two to me are Russell and MJ. You're dealt your cards without a choice.

MJ never got swept in a final, nor did he lose. (go ahed and refer to him as "Jeffrey" like most people in this thread do)

Russell was the best until MJ came along.

Your lack of teams for Russel, I counter that with better sports medicine, HGH and the fact that Lebron walks to the Finals every year because the East is so bad, may as well only have 16 teams in the league. The NBA is watered down with under developed talent now. The fact that Bennet got drafted #1 proves that.

But Lebron is one of my all-time favorite players to watch. MJ (as a homer) Shaq and Hakeem (as the dominant defensive players they were) and weirdly enough, Mugsy Bogues

He asked for best ever comparisons. Horry is no where in that convo.

The top two to me are Russell and MJ. You're dealt your cards without a choice.

MJ never got swept in a final, nor did he lose. (go ahed and refer to him as "Jeffrey" like most people in this thread do)

Russell was the best until MJ came along.

Your lack of teams for Russel, I counter that with better sports medicine, HGH and the fact that Lebron walks to the Finals every year because the East is so bad, may as well only have 16 teams in the league. The NBA is watered down with under developed talent now. The fact that Bennet got drafted #1 proves that.

But Lebron is one of my all-time favorite players to watch. MJ (as a homer) Shaq and Hakeem (as the dominant defensive players they were) and weirdly enough, Mugsy Bogues

lol tlak about a watered down league while praising Russell. Russell was playing in an error where the dudes he played against smoked at halftime and stocked warehouses during their off time.

zychi

Banned
lol tlak about a watered down league while praising Russell. Russell was playing in an error where the dudes he played against smoked at halftime and stocked warehouses during their off time.

And now we have stoners, and guys like Hibbert who shouldn't even be on the floor.

You don't get to choose what era you play in.

Babe Ruth is regarded as the best baseball player of all-time, dude was a fat slob who wouldn't make it in today's game.

e: Larry Hughes played with Lebron. LARRY FUCKING HUGHES

Bowser

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell
After not expressing much interest in Lance Stephenson, the Hornets are now looking into possibly signing him, the Observer has learned.

Edit: meeting tomorrow:

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
The Hornets are expressing interest in Lance Stephenson, source confirms. They'll meet with him tomorrow in Vegas. @rick_bonnell had it.

Aim_Ed

Rick Bonnell @rick_bonnell
After not expressing much interest in Lance Stephenson, the Hornets are now looking into possibly signing him, the Observer has learned.

Edit: meeting tomorrow:

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
The Hornets are expressing interest in Lance Stephenson, source confirms. They'll meet with him tomorrow in Vegas. @rick_bonnell had it.

Really hope you guys land him.

Fjordson

If LeBron wins 2 or 3 rings with Cleveland, does that make him the GOAT?
Nope. Lebron will never be the GOAT.

He's top 5 no matter what happens in Cleveland, though. I think he's a massive douche and a theatrical, flopping asshole, but he's a pretty good basketballer.

Fjordson

McDermott with 20 points tonight, 4 for 7 from deep.

I'm buying into the summer league hype. ROTY right there!

NBA+Star+T+Mobile+Rookie+Challenge+Youth+Jam+CyBYJH8htoql.jpg

"...and so I was like, hey Pat, trade up for Shabazz Napier, just to see if that mother fucker would....and he did it!"
Lmfao. Wait they traded up for him? So confusing as to why they did that. Such a mediocre prospect.

^They swapped 26 and 24 with the Hornets and kicked in a late second rounder. I want to say Charlotte sent that second pick somewhere else. Charlotte ended up using 26 on PJ Hairston, so it kind of worked out for nobody.

Bowser

^They swapped 26 and 24 with the Hornets and kicked in a late second rounder. I want to say Charlotte sent that second pick somewhere else. Charlotte ended up using 26 on PJ Hairston, so it kind of worked out for nobody.

Beyond way too early to be saying that.

Guess it's to be expected from a dookie :p

McDermott with 20 points tonight, 4 for 7 from deep.

I'm buying into the summer league hype. ROTY right there!

Lmfao. Wait they traded up for him? So confusing as to why they did that. Such a mediocre prospect.

Draft an undersized 4 year college player with unremarkable quickness or athleticism. What could possibly go wrong?

So has anyone shown any interest in Shawn Marion yet? I haven't heard anything and was kind of hoping he would take the vet min for a bench spot with the mavs.

Clips need SF help. Surprised they haven't looked into him.

I think they're over the cap so they can't really do anything. They got 78m in payroll atm.

edit: Hrmm a lot of their players are under bird rights. To be honest though I don't know how exactly bird rights and shit works when you apply it to the cap.

Top Bottom