• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Bowser

I think they're over the cap so they can't really do anything. They got 78m in payroll atm.

edit: Hrmm a lot of their players are under bird rights. To be honest though I don't know how exactly bird rights and shit works when you apply it to the cap.

Clips are hard capped at $81m by virtue of signing Hawes to the MLE. They're at $78m and change I believe so think they only have a little over $2m to offer for a couple guys. Dunno if Marion would want the vet min.

C4Lukins

Kobe is laughing at how dumb Dirk is..he made that this year..

Such bull shit. Dirk has made 200 million over his career. He has also been his own agent and refused huge marketing deals because he just did not care about being that guy.

There is nothing dumb going on there. An additional 50 million dollars just does not mean shit to him. He is essentially an assistant gm on the Mavs, and after he retires and his jersey is hanging from the rafters, he will still have a job with the Mavs if he wants it.

He is a super class act. And he knowingly gave up 40 million plus dollars over 3 years to stick with the team and fans who have supported him throughout hs career. I hate the Spurs, but Duncan did a similar thing, and all the credit in the world to him as well.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So what? He could have been making 30x more than people with a masters degree and still had the same chance at titles. He bent over himself because Cuban was cheap.

so he'll only have $230 million in career earnings instead of $250 million. I doubt it'll make a difference in his life.

This is interesting, following Boozer's amnesty.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m
RT @RealGM: List of Amnesty Eligible Players in the NBA is down to seven -- Link: http://bit.ly/VlXx0H

Al Horford (Hawks), Rajon Rondo (Celtics), Mike Conley (Grizzlies), Nick Collison, Kevin Durant, Kendrick Perkins (Thunder), Tony Parker (Spurs).

All other teams have either used their provision or have no players that would qualify.

Omega

Banned
He asked for best ever comparisons. Horry is no where in that convo.

The top two to me are Russell and MJ. You're dealt your cards without a choice.

MJ never got swept in a final, nor did he lose. (go ahed and refer to him as "Jeffrey" like most people in this thread do)

Russell was the best until MJ came along.

Your lack of teams for Russel, I counter that with better sports medicine, HGH and the fact that Lebron walks to the Finals every year because the East is so bad, may as well only have 16 teams in the league. The NBA is watered down with under developed talent now. The fact that Bennet got drafted #1 proves that.

But Lebron is one of my all-time favorite players to watch. MJ (as a homer) Shaq and Hakeem (as the dominant defensive players they were) and weirdly enough, Mugsy Bogues

wat. before
and after
Mike, Magic was the GOAT

bennet went number 1 because the cavs are retarded, not because anyone thought he was even a lottery pick

Why do people always say shit like "Mike never lost"...I wasn't aware he played 1v5s. I was almost positive he had other people with him on the court but I guess I'm just imagining things

Honestly, if you look at it objectively, top 5 all time in the NBA would have to be:

- Tim Duncan
- Manu Ginobili
- Bruce Bowen
- The Admiral
- Boris Diaw

Honorable Mention - Michael Jordan

Al Horford (Hawks), Rajon Rondo (Celtics), Mike Conley (Grizzlies), Nick Collison, Kevin Durant, Kendrick Perkins (Thunder), Tony Parker (Spurs).

All other teams have either used their provision or have no players that would qualify.

I'm little surprised Perkins hasn't been amnestied even though he becomes UFA next year. Still, it will be interesting to see what OKC does next year with that $10m off the books. Especially since they won't really need to resign anyone.

One of these is not like the other. SMH dumbass OKC.

giphy.gif

Boozers reaction after hearing about being amnestied by the Bulls.

Cloudy

Banned
@Chris_Broussard: 3 yrs $27 million Lance to Charlotte, "@rick_bonnell: The Charlotte Hornets will sign Lance Stephenson, the Observer has learned."

Boom

PS: Broussard is hilarious. After the Hornets beat writer broke the story he posted a tweet reporting it via "sources"

Bowser

LMAO its finally happen, Will Indy match?
This is what exactly they offer and got rejected, but they already signing CJ Miles and need clear some space.

Indy can't match. Lance is unrestricted.

Boom indeed.

Under terms of the deal Stephenson will make $9 million next season and in 2015-16, with a slight raise in the 2016-17 team option.

$9m per with a team option after 2 seasons if he's a nutcase? Fucking steal.

fertygo

Indy can't match. Lance is unrestricted.

Boom indeed.

$9m per with a team option after 2 seasons if he's a nutcase? Fucking steal.

Goddamn :(
What a blow for Indy and to think he sign for the same amount lol

btw congrats dude, if he not destroying your team from inside out, he's pretty good fit I think.

Bowser

Goddamn :(
What a blow for Indy and to think he sign for the same amount lol

btw congrats dude, if he not destroying your team from inside out, he's pretty good fit I think.

Seriously, Indy did eff themselves here. I think he was insulted by their original offer and resolved he would leave no matter what. I mean, our offer is only $200k more per season and with less commitment with a team option after year 2.

Hope he can control himself because if so $9m per for a 23 year old borderline all-star wing is a bargain.

Cloudy

Banned
Lance might be crazy and stupid at times, but he was very much a part of the heart of Indy. East is up for grabs.

He was their best all-around player last year and while he did everything he could to win the Heat series, no one had his back and they even piled on him cos they were all on LeBron's nuts. MJ recognized a guy with no fear of a superstar and grabbed him

Owzers

He was their best all-around player last year and while he did everything he could to win the Heat series, no one had his back and they even piled on him cos they were all on LeBron's nuts. MJ recognized a guy with no fear of a superstar and grabbed him

The " we might suck but that guy's crazy" stuff only worked on people who moved past the sucking part.

Into

He is barely making more money than the Indy deal, granted it is shorter and he can renegotiate a newer better deal later on.

And Indy will likely still do better than the Hornets.

Jag

This is awesome.

Patty Mills and Aron Baynes are reigning NBA champions, and they have the Larry O'Brien Trophy back home in Australia where they are, apparently, just carrying it around.

So when they saw Fox Sports Australia reporter Julian de Stoop in the middle of a live shot outside the headquarters of AFL squad Collingwood, they decided to jump in front of the camera—with Mills earning a hearty shove from the reporter, who didn't recognize them.

ijaii1rdcj0ubtxlnrql.jpg

Bowser

He is barely making more money than the Indy deal, granted it is shorter and he can renegotiate a newer better deal later on.

I dunno about that. Lance was a pretty big piece. Only one who had any balls in the Heat series, led the league in triple doubles. Maybe their chemistry will be better, but it's a big loss.

Hill
Miles
George
West
Hibbert

vs

Kemba
Lance
MKG
Marvin
Big Al

I don't think there's a big difference between those two starting fives. George is obviously the best player, but after that I'd take both Big Al and Lance over anyone else. If MKG can actually develop any semblance of an outside shot this season, that starting five could (emphasis on could) be pretty lethal.

"Lance is forever grateful for all the love he's received from Pacers fans. He is especially grateful to his teammates, Frank Vogel, Herb Simon, the Pacers management and most of all, Larry Bird," Stephenson's agent, Alberto Ebanks, said in a statement. "While we tried our best to come to the best possible terms for both sides, there was not sufficient flexibility in the terms of the contract, particularly the length of the contract.

"Reports throughout the negotiation process with Indiana have often strayed from the truth but suffice it to say that it was less about the money. Lance will miss the city, the team and the mentor who helped transform him into the dynamic player he has become. He looks forward to making a strong contribution and beginning a new chapter with the Charlotte Hornets."

The Pacers were unwilling to offer Stephenson a shorter deal, spanning two or three years, sources said. Indiana was also unwilling to increase its offer.

Time will tell, but this seems like a doofus move by the Pacers. Why not give Lance the same deal the Hornets did? If he behaves and plays to his potential over the next two-three seasons you'd be happy to pay him the max as a 26 year old still in (just entering?) his prime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't think the Pacers were ever actually interested in keeping Lance nor did he actually want to stay there.

I honestly find it hard to believe his agent was pushing for a shorter term deal given the fact hes Lance.

Damn, Hornets are looking pretty good now.

Didnt Lance have a bigger offer from the Pacers that he turned down early in the offseason? Or was it just a rumor? I feel like he took way less money than he wanted to with this.

Bowser

Teams are worried about who hes going to be after he got paid.

MJ didnt give a fuck.

I wouldn't say MJ didn't give a fuck. There were clearly concerns, it's why the Hornets waited so long to get in the game and went after other players first. But to get him on essentially a 2 year, $18m deal at worst is a low-risk/high-reward play that an up and coming team looking to build on last season's success absolutely couldn't pass up.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wouldn't say MJ didn't give a fuck. There were clearly concerns, it's why the Hornets waited so long to get in the game and went after other players first. But to get him on essentially a 2 year, $18m deal at worst is a low-risk/high-reward play that an up and coming team looking to build on last season's success absolutely couldn't pass up.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Fascinated to see how Lance + Hairston works out. Or doesn't. Either way it was the kind of move the Hornets had to make to try to get to the next level.

phanphare

Banned
Hornets doing work!

10516844_3191570873498_26897988576142887_n.jpg

apparently getting to free agency quicker was of value to Lance

edit: man, I'm kind of pumped now. our defense is going to be fucking ridiculous.

Bowser

Candace Buckner ‏@CandaceDBuckner 20m
Lance's agent said this could have been done "July 2" if he wanted more $$$, which is to assume there were other lucrative offers

Hm. Wonder who was throwing money at him.

"Well, things could get a little awkward in Cleveland next season.

Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters held a late-night Twitter Q&A session on Tuesday, and was asked about potentially accepting a move to the bench.

His answer?

Nooooooooo RT @CavsForever_: Would you accept the role of coming off the bench or..? @dionwaiters3

— Dion Waiters (@dionwaiters3) July 15, 2014"

lololol

Kydd BlaZe

Getting a James Harden vibe from Lance Stephenson for some reason. When Harden was able to step away from Durant and Westbrook and go to a team where he was the central focus of the offense, he became an all-star. I expect similar things from Stephenson, now that he's out of Paul George's shadow. He'll clearly be the man in Charlotte.

Cheddahz

Banned
Holiday jerseys revealed:
Barf.

These are better than the ones from last year

EDIT: Anyways, I'm stoked for Lance on the Hornets. I (oddly) think the name change has helped out Charlotte a whole lot and I know it's just a name change, but "playing for the Hornets" sounds so much better than "playing for the Bobcats". I mean hell, the city has been stoked about it (my parents live in Charlotte) and I think my mom and I are actually going to go check out the court whenever I go visit later this week (she got invited or something, due to the fact that she is a teacher)

Smart move by Lance remember he's only like 23 if he keeps his head on straight, and with the way teams will be clearing cap space for 2016 (plus the new tv revenues potentially pushing the cap up), he could play his way into a big money contract.

Jag

Wonder how much of the Lance move was Bird just being sick of his shit and finding him to be a locker room liability.

Top Bottom