• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

PBY

Banned
Huh? In comparison to whom? There are far worse options at power forward than Boozer. He may not be the 20-10 machine he once was, but he's pretty damn solid.

I agree, I wanted him in Mia.

I meant "joke" in that he's basically an NBA meme/punchline at this point.

Lexxism

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN
LeBron intrigued w/Andrew Wiggins' potential but has made clear to Cavs he wants to compete for title now. Going after Love fits message

Ohh. Looks like bye-bye Wiggins then.

Clevinger

lol.

Draft this shit player. Oh, sorry, were you expecting me to stay?

I want max deal.

I want short contract, no commitments.

I want opt out.

I want secret meeting.

I want weeks to announce decision made ages ago. Deal with it.

Sign my favorite scrubs.

Bail my mom from jail.

Cater to my freeloading friends.

Send young star to die. Fuck him, I want super team NOW.

Show me on the doll where LeBron touched you.

Apath

Boozer is a great basketball player who was grossly overpaid to play for the Bulls. People treating him like a leper because of defensive deficiencies are insane.
Ohh. Looks like bye-bye Wiggins then.
What was all of that bullshit in his letter then?

And can the Cavs pay Lebron, Kyrie, and Love while still having any depth? This isn't the 2010 Heat getting all three of their superstars for $14MM apiece.

Gonzalez

Banned
I knew LeBron was full of shit when he said he was willing to "wait" for his team to develop into title contenders. Especially after he signed a two year deal with a one year opt-out.

LOL Cleveland...

Lexxism

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m
LeBron James has reached out tell Kevin Love of his desire for them to play together with the Cavaliers, front office sources tell Yahoo.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO 47m
Talks with Timberwolves ongoing, but Cavs standing firm on keeping Andrew Wiggins, sources say. @FOXSportsOH story: http://foxs.pt/1mSSbZF

I'm pretty shocked Lebron is already reaching out for more help...I mean he wanted to play at home and mentor the young talent...

Lebron like....
BH8VOD0CEAAzeUP.jpg

Owzers

obligatory "not like this" gif. Lebron's going to hollow out the team and complain when he needs to play 40min+ every game to win because they lost all young talent.

Nuklear

Banned
LeBron James has reached out tell Kevin Love of his desire for them to play together with the Cavaliers, front office sources tell Yahoo.

Sam Amico @SamAmicoFSO 47m
Talks with Timberwolves ongoing, but Cavs standing firm on keeping Andrew Wiggins, sources say. @FOXSportsOH story: http://foxs.pt/1mSSbZF

And this where the one year opt out comes into play. Get Love or Lebron walks.

What has Wiggins done to deserve such a horrible life in which he'll either end up in Cleveland or on the Timberwolves?

Wiggins and LaVine would be an insanely athletic duo, and, with Rubio, a potentially destructive defensive 1-3. Make a move for Larry Sanders or something and you got a stew going. Not a great team (probably a West version of the Raptors with Ross and DeRozan) but fun to watch.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Boozer is a great basketball player who was grossly overpaid to play for the Bulls. People treating him like a leper because of defensive deficiencies are insane.

What was all of that bullshit in his letter then?

And can the Cavs pay Lebron, Kyrie, and Love while still having any depth? This isn't the 2010 Heat getting all three of their superstars for $14MM apiece.

They can't. Also LeBron with this short contract. Trading Wiggins is a bad idea.

I think Wiggins is potentially a LOT better than Love.. and I like Love... he's a guy from my state.. but I don't think they need Love.

If the Cavs end up trading Bennett/Wiggins/Waiters for Love.. that's just stupid.. LeBron is your great "right now".. but Wiggins could be your next 10 years.

Branduil

They can't. Also LeBron with this short contract. Trading Wiggins is a bad idea.

I think Wiggins is potentially a LOT better than Love.. and I like Love... he's a guy from my state.. but I don't think they need Love.

If the Cavs end up trading Bennett/Wiggins/Waiters for Love.. that's just stupid.. LeBron is your great "right now".. but Wiggins could be your next 10 years.

Potential doesn't win titles.

Wiggins potential is anywhere from Harrison Barnes to TMac to Paul George. Would you trade Love for Paul George right now? I wouldn't. Wiggins' best case scenario is that he becomes a player as valuable as Love is right now, at 25 years old.

Pencil LeBron for probably 27 or 28 million in 2016. Kyrie will be at 18, and Love would resign a max deal after this season in the neighborhood of 22. That's 67 million in salaries. If the television contract boosts the cap to 80 million, they have 13 million in cap room, plus whatever exemptions that would be at their disposal.

Frankly, I expect players to play hardball with the next CBA. They took it on the chin in the last one, and franchise values have gone through the roof, the TV revenue appears to be going through the roof, and I expect them to dig in their heels and demand a higher percentage of revenue. And if they prevail (even in a compromise), the cap goes up that much further.

This is all to say that in 2014 dollars, it doesn't seem like the Cavs could support 3 stars all making big money, but in 2016 and 2017 (and beyond) dollars, it seems much more feasible.

Nuklear

Banned

He won't surpass Love in scoring. You are certainly looking at this guy with rose colored glasses. He'll be an average scorer at best but really that's all the Cavs need out of him. His value is on the defensive end.

You gotta capitalize on Brons prime. And do all you can to win it all the next 5-6 seasons. That is probably his window of opportunity left. If you miss it because you want to hold on for wiggins' potential that might never materializes then shit... Thats bad. You might never win again until you draft another really really good player on Brons caliber because Cleveland aint that attractive for FA.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Obviously I rate Wiggins higher than some of you. Guys an athletic freak and a good defender... if he has it in him he'll learn to score.

I just don't think they need to put Wiggins in there to get Love. Wait then.

If the Wolves don't think they can make the playoffs and then keep Love.. they'll trade him for far less. There's zero reason to offer the world for him now.

If the Wolves don't take Waiters/Bennett plus picks.. then just wait it out.

Hell, let this team play together first.

Bowser

I find it somewhat insane that people wouldn't trade Wiggins' potential for a proven star in Love. Everyone's trying to talk about what Wiggins COULD BE in 3-5 seasons. But let's face facts - Wiggins is NOT guaranteed to develop. And Cleveland lucked into such an improbable situation in that one of the 5-8 best basketball players EVER BORN happened to be from Ohio and felt the tug of home and bringing a championship to "his region." How often is that going to happen? In Cleveland? I'd wager never again.

Teams like Cleveland and Charlotte and the like are only going to have short windows of title contention in limited ways: having unique situations where you have a homegrown superstar that wants to play for you (think CP3 coming to the Hornets, Durant going to the Wiz, etc.), drafting a guy that develops into a superstar, or by taking risks on character guys that have immense talent and finally "get it."

If I'm Gilbert, I'm not taking any chances. These next 3-5 years are likely THE BEST SHOT I have at bringing a championship to Cleveland for the foreseeable future. I do everything in my power to surround LeBron with the best available talent RIGHT NOW to achieve that goal.

Furyous

Allegedly, here is the deal that the Wolves and Cavs have agreed to:

Deal sends Andrew Wiggins, Dion Waiters, & Tristan Thompson for Kevin Love & Glenn Robinson III.

Someone please send this to Dan Gilbert and have him react upset to this. Fuck this deal entirely. I'd rather keep Wiggins and add draft picks than send him away. Kevin Love needs to save his career and veto the deal.

Bread

Banned
I find it somewhat insane that people wouldn't trade Wiggins' potential for a proven star in Love. Everyone's trying to talk about what Wiggins COULD BE in 3-5 seasons. But let's face facts - Wiggins is NOT guaranteed to develop. And Cleveland lucked into such an improbable situation in that one of the 5-8 best basketball players EVER BORN happened to be from Ohio and felt the tug of home and bringing a championship to "his region." How often is that going to happen? In Cleveland? I'd wager never again.hat have immense talent and finally "get it."
That's a really good point. People are talking about Wiggins being the guy who takes over after LeBron...why do they think he'll stay? Who goes to Cleveland in free agency to win titles? One guy, because he's from Cleveland. What's stopping Wiggins from following LeBron's footsteps and going home after his rookie deal is up.

Cleveland got one of the best players of all time in his prime and people want them to worry about the future instead of winning now? Insane.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Um, Kevin Love is probably the most consistent combo scorer/rebounder in the league since Moses Malone. Amazing outlet passer too. Biggest flaws are he can't play defense worth a damn and he acts like a total diva

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Allegedly, here is the deal that the Wolves and Cavs have agreed to:

Deal sends Andrew Wiggins, Dion Waiters, & Tristan Thompson for Kevin Love & Glenn Robinson III.

Someone please send this to Dan Gilbert and have him react upset to this. Fuck this deal entirely. I'd rather keep Wiggins and add draft picks than send him away. Kevin Love needs to save his career and veto the deal.

That trade isn't valid. you've got $9.2 million salaries being traded from the cavs, they can only take up to about $13.8 million in salary. Love is 15.7 million this year

Top Bottom