• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

The Bulls have allegedly offered McDermott, Mirotic, and Gibson for Love. Personally, I'd love to see this happen for two reasons:

1. Love is a perfect fit and Thibodeau's system can mask his shortcomings on defense.
2. Rose and Love is a great marketing gimmick, especially since they wear red.

The Bulls have allegedly offered McDermott, Mirotic, and Gibson for Love. Personally, I'd love to see this happen for two reasons:

1. Love is a perfect fit and Thibodeau's system can mask his shortcomings on defense.

Please Bulls, don't do this.

There goes the depth, there goes the salary cap, etc...

It's definitely a better package than the one I heard Cleveland offering but hopefully Cleveland ups the ante and these guys all stay Bulls.

BadAss2961

That's too much.

McDermott, Mirotic, I feel bad just giving up one of them. Both of them? Nah.

C4Lukins

Please Bulls, don't do this.

There goes the depth, there goes the salary cap, etc...

It's definitely a better package than the one I heard Cleveland offering but hopefully Cleveland ups the ante and these guys all stay Bulls.

The Heat have proven that depth is not a big deal. You get 3 or 4 great players, pay minimum to desperate old guys who can sit in the corner and shoot 3's, at the very least you will win the East.

C4Lukins

I don't think merely getting to the Finals should be any goal of a good team.

No one cares about Eastern or Western conference champions.

In the words of philosopher Bull Hurley, "second sucks".

No I agree. But Love is one of the best players in the league. I know Eastern conference fans rarely get to see him in action. He is maybe a top ten player, and unloading a ton of garbage or maybe a potential decent future player seems like a lot, but it is not. If Rose remains healthy, with Love the Bulls would be crazy good.

I like the direction the east is headed. The terrain has been flattened. They picked up the Zen Master, got gasol from the west... With Love jumping conferences most likely as well. West still beats them overall, but it won't be as ugly as last year.

So are the Mavericks definitely a top 4 team in the west now??

PG: Nelson (most likely signed tomorrow), Felton, Mekel
SG: Ellis, Harris, Ledo
SF: Parson, Crowder
PF: Nowitzki, Aminu, Wright
C: Chandler, Smith

Team is deep and a killer starting 5

Ocelott

So are the Mavericks definitely a top 4 team in the west now??

PG: Nelson (most likely signed tomorrow), Felton, Mekel
SG: Ellis, Harris, Ledo
SF: Parson, Crowder
PF: Nowitzki, Aminu, Wright
C: Chandler, Smith

Team is deep and a killer starting 5

Bench looks meh on paper

BadAss2961

Bulls fans saying no to this...

Brehs. Come on.
I like the team as currently constructed. We've got depth and 2 guys with star potential. Love's game is nice, but he's a 2nd option on a championship team. I don't know if he's worth it.

With no other threats at the wing, Rose/Love/Noah/Gasol could once again turn into Rose or bust.

Then again, we're the same guys that wouldn't part with Deng for Kobe. So if this goes down, oh well, at least we tried this time.

No I agree. But Love is one of the best players in the league. I know Eastern conference fans rarely get to see him in action. He is maybe a top ten player, and unloading a ton of garbage or maybe a potential decent future player seems like a lot, but it is not. If Rose remains healthy, with Love the Bulls would be crazy good.

If part of the deal was an 100% assurance that Rose doesn't have another serious injury, I'd do it.

Otherwise, I'll pass.

Taj is a physical mismatch for most teams the Bulls go up against.

Not sure if McDermott will pan out but his shooting seems to be extraordinary.

Mirotic could be something special if he keeps working hard.

I know how Love plays, seen him plenty of times but I just don't think he's the missing piece gamechanger(like Carmelo would have been) for this team.

He'd be a great addition though but the Bulls need all the bodies(and not just bodies, talented bodies) they can get to prevent future injuries and because injury issues permeate the team.

I like the team as currently constructed. We've got depth and 2 guys with star potential. Love's game is nice, but he's a 2nd option on a championship team. I don't know if he's worth it.

With no other threats at the wing, Rose/Love/Noah/Gasol could once again turn into Rose or bust.

Then again, we're the same guys that wouldn't part with Deng for Kobe. So if this goes down, oh well, at least we tried this time.

I thought Kobe said he wouldn't join the Bulls if Deng left though.

Bulls is fine as constructed. I'm not even sure they get better trading those pieces for him. A front court with Love, Gasol, and Noah wouldn't work. Love at SF isn't a good look. Telling Gasol he now has to sit on the bench isn't a good look either. Then you're trading the defensive anchor off the bench with Gibson, and a couple nice pieces to your bench that can help solidify. I'm not convinced Bulls serious about dealing Mirotic either.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Well, you would know/accept what it's like to have 3 "stars" and nothing else...
They won 2 championships!!!

What kind of dumb shit is this?!?!

Bulls is fine as constructed. I'm not even sure they get better trading those pieces for him. A front court with Love, Gasol, and Noah wouldn't work. Love at SF isn't a good look. Telling Gasol he now has to sit on the bench isn't a good look either. Then you're trading the defensive anchor off the bench with Gibson, and a couple nice pieces to your bench that can help solidify. I'm not convinced Bulls serious about dealing Mirotic either.
It's not just about acquiring Love, it's about making sure the Cavs don't get him.

Supposedly, Mirotic sought an assurance that he was in the Bulls' longterm plans before coming over/signing and while there are only a few "untradeable" players, I don't think they waited years and years for him to just throw him into packages.

There's no way he will be a "bust" to me and he could become really good, I'd like to see him play after all this time.

I'm at the point where while the Bulls missed out on who they really wanted(Carmelo), I'm really content on the overall team they have now and I think injuries(which are of course rearing their potentially ugly heads) are the only thing stopping them from greatness.

They should have gotten Afflalo but besides that position, they are pretty much stacked.

Furyous

I want this to happen so GM Lebron learns to stay out of personnel decisions. Flip should request Butler over McBuckets. Butler and Gibson are the win now players Minny covets. I love Butler's game. It's a classy unrefined game that works. Given the minutes and prep time, Butler will succeed as borderline star/fan favorite.

Gibson has dem 'tangibles. Thibs is a fantastic coach that could win coach of the year every year. Watch Kevin Love make an all-NBA defense team playing for Thibs. If he doesn't make it then he'll be in the running.

C4Lukins

If part of the deal was an 100% assurance that Rose doesn't have another serious injury, I'd do it.

Otherwise, I'll pass.

Taj is a physical mismatch for most teams the Bulls go up against.

Not sure if McDermott will pan out but his shooting seems to be extraordinary.

Mirotic could be something special if he keeps working hard.

I know how Love plays, seen him plenty of times but I just don't think he's the missing piece gamechanger(like Carmelo would have been) for this team.

He'd be a great addition though but the Bulls need all the bodies(and not just bodies, talented bodies) they can get to prevent future injuries and because injury issues permeate the team.

You still have to pay for Rose either way. So without Love you are looking at a future where those players being traded are going to be the makeup of your team. It could work out for the Bulls in a couple of years, but Chicago is close now.

Watch Kevin Love make an all-NBA defense team playing for Thibs. If he doesn't make it then he'll be in the running.

carlosboozer.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They won 1 legitimately and now are in a state of disarray and confusion.

The consecutive Finals visits are nice but there are a lot of variables to that happening.
So, what you're saying is, they won 2.

And disarray? The best player in the game left their team, and considering that, they've still managed to put together a decent team, and possible top 3-4 in the east.

PBY

Banned
Did the Heat derserve to win that series or were they outplayed and they won on a fluke/chokejob of epic proportions???
I can't even man...

The series was a near draw. Both teams were evenly matched. Yeah it was basically a coin flip. But ray did hit the shot. And they went and won game seven. They put themselves in a position where a coin flip could win them the title, they were equal to the spurs.

I don't even know what you're arguing tbh except salt.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I can't even man...

The series was a near draw. Both teams were evenly matched. Yeah it was basically a coin flip. But ray did hit the shot. And they went and won game seven. They put themselves in a position where a coin flip could win them the title, they were equal to the spurs.

Stop arguing with him.

You do realize there was an overtime. And a game 7?

I'm not saying the heat were better even, I think it was as close a finals as you'll see.

I don't care anymore really, the Heat are a different team now.

My point was basically "you don't win games on paper".

The Heat had a lot of success with the "big 3" but probably not as much as they or others thought they would have, that's why you play the games.

It's arguable whether you frontload a team to win or you build and overall great team to win as both cases have happened.

I just don't think the Bulls are guaranteed to win anything if they make the deal that is supposedly out there for Kevin Love.

I don't think any of these situations is a "no-brainer" because you're going to have to sacrifice a lot to get a lot in return.

If the deals for the Cavaliers, Warriors and Bulls were so easy, they would have been done already.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I can't even man...

I love how everyone talks about Rays shot, I mean I know that was the dagger, but the missed free throws and offensive rebounds that even put them into position were what really turned it around.

PBY

Banned
I don't care anymore really, the Heat are a different team now.

My point was basically "you don't win games on paper".

The Heat had a lot of success with the "big 3" but probably not as much as they or others thought they would have, that's why you play the games.

It's arguable whether you frontload a team to win or you build and overall great team to win as both cases have happened.

I just don't think the Bulls are guaranteed to win anything if they make the deal that is supposedly out there for Kevin Love.

I don't think any of these situations is a "no-brainer" because you're going to have to sacrifice a lot to get a lot in return.

If the deals for the Cavaliers, Warriors and Bulls were so easy, they would have been done already.
If you get Love you go to the finals next year. Without him who knows.

Reasonable ppl can disagree though.

Nonathletic jump shooter, euro rookie, and a role player for Kevin Love. 26/12 Kevin Love.

Let's just stop.

Taj Gibson could start(and when he did on the Bulls for a brief period, he put up impressive numbers) on many a team in the NBA.

That's a pretty big role.

Let's just start.

Not to mention that they didn't draft Mirotic and wait years and years because he was a "nice" player to them.

No idea if McDermott will pan out but the Timberwolves apparently really like him.

The Bulls sure could use Love's scoring but I don't think they're really aching for more rebounds considering they outrebound most of the teams they play.

It's an arguably good and bad move as the offer is detailed, it's not an easy one.

Easy for the Stephen A's and Bayless' of the sports world though.

fertygo

I agree with Badass, its seem pretty risky throwing good piece that you actually have already.. but man Bulls already making few mistake with playing it safe in the past, you gotta wonder this is time to change the mentality in roster building.

Apath

When you have a chance to get a player like Kevin Love without gutting your core, you take it. The idea that we would pass on upgrading from Taj and Boozer last season to Love and Gasol next season is almost laughable.

Whoever said that Bulls fans are too attached to their players is right. It hurts real bad thinking that we could lose McBuckets, Mirotic, and Taj (Taj especially), but in the end what everyone really wants is to win games. And with Love that becomes a lot easier. It was the same thing with giving up Deng.

When you have a chance to get a player like Kevin Love without gutting your core, you take it. The idea that we would pass on upgrading from Taj and Boozer last season to Love and Gasol next season is almost laughable.

Whoever said that Bulls fans are too attached to their players is right. It hurts real bad thinking that we could lose McBuckets, Mirotic, and Taj (Taj especially), but in the end what everyone really wants is to win games. And with Love that becomes a lot easier. It was the same thing with giving up Deng.

McBuckets or Mirotic, but not both.

I'm all in for it. I just don't believe GarPax would do that. That's the same team who were so high on Deng that they wouldn't trade Deng for either Kobe or Pau. They over evaluate their own talent constantly and never take chances. Pau was the safe choice over Lance. I'm hoping Golden State comes through at the last minute so Cleveland doesn't get better and Bulls don't gut future talent.

Two Words

I don't get Dallas going after Nelson. We've got plenty of undersized guards. We need a solid defensive oriented backup shooting guard that can shoot 3s. It's what Crowder should be, but he's stuck at backup SF.

Top Bottom