• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

So Knicks get Dalembert (expiring), Larkin (1st rounder in last year's draft, good prospect), Calderon (longer contract, but better than Felton), and #34 in this year's draft...

...and functionally are under the cap right now without Tyson/Ray/Melo off the books, while still being able to offer super-max cash to Melo if necessary (or less than that, and the ability to actually add non-crap FAs this year)? And still have a first next year? And still have max room in 2015 automatically when Amare/Bargs are gone?

I almost have no problems with this move.

Who says that cash is going to Carmelo?

Mavs gonna become the Knicks 2.0

Great trade for the Mavs. They need a good PG.

CA0FfJw.gif

I think knicks are certain melo is leaving. That doesnt seem to be a we want results this season trade.

Bowser

Am I retarded or did the Knicks just get away with highway robbery? Dalembert/Calderon/Larkin and 2 picks in a deep draft AND they got to unload Felton's shitty contract? Tyson can't even stay on the court for an entire season.

Yeah they took Calderon's shit contract back, but at least he's productive unlike Felton.

Just seems like a lopsided trade to me.

Chris Herring ✔ @HerringWSJ
Follow
I'm hearing the Knicks are trying to move Dalembert and Larkin in a separate deal, according to a person familiar with the matter.
6:27 PM - 25 Jun 2014
In Phil we trust.

Just unloaded felton, got a starting PG some young prospects and two 2nd rounders and hes about to flip some of the young assets in a separate move.

Am I retarded or did the Knicks just get away with highway robbery? Dalembert/Calderon/Larkin and 2 picks in a deep draft AND they got to unload Felton's shitty contract? Tyson can't even stay on the court for an entire season.

Yeah they took Calderon's shit contract back, but at least he's productive unlike Felton.

Just seems like a lopsided trade to me.

phil-jackson-introduced-at-msg.jpg

The Mavericks, who immediately made reacquiring Chandler one of their priorities after their first-round playoff exit against San Antonio, have completed a trade with the Knicks that was clinched by agreeing to take back the contract of New York's out-of-favor guard Raymond Felton as well.

The trade cost Dallas two starters -- point guard Jose Calderon and center Samuel Dalembert -- along with prized young point guard Shane Larkin, reserve guard Wayne Ellington and the 34th and 51st picks in Thursday's draft.

Dallas gives up two picks as well! LOL. Phil Jackson doing work great deal for them to get contracts off the books.

Branduil

Eh, Mavs got the best player in the deal, and dumped a bad contract. Getting Raymond Failton and giving up the right to draft Maurice Ager Jr. is a small price to pay for that.

Damn we got 2 picks. It feels weird not to lose massively in a trade for once. #inphilwetrust

Tyson aint that bad lol. I am ok with this move though.

Fuck that flu ridden whack ass shit talker that always skips leg day. Dude hasnt been effective since jeremy lin was here. 15 mil wasted on him should have made fans riot. Even amares been more useful the last 2 years than tyson. Good riddance to him and his cropped pants and fedora.

Eh, Mavs got the best player in the deal, and dumped a bad contract. Getting Raymond Failton and giving up the right to draft Maurice Ager Jr. is a small price to pay for that.

Tyson is not as good as you remember him. He is decent but knicks also got a decent deal.

There are now rumors knicks are looking to trade larkin and dalembert to the thunder.

I remember back then larkin didnt even want to work out for the knicks. Dude has no interest in being a knick.

C4Lukins

Tyson is not as good as you remember him. He is decent but knicks also got a decent deal.

Nobody is as good as you remember them when they are playing for the Knicks.

The Mavs were the first team to get anything out of Dalambert, and he is was not at all consistent. Calderon was such a defensive liability that leaving him in was always a 50/50 proposition. Larkin is a project, I wish the Mavs had not lost him, but there is no telling with him. As for the two draft picks, this is the NBA not the NFL. Maybe in three year one of those picks will become a role player off the bench.

I think the trade is probably good for both teams though. And with Jackson onboard, maybe the new Knicks will not get sucked into the black hole that is that team.

Branduil

He's not but he's still the best player in the deal.

Going from the dysfunctional semi-franchise of the Knickerbockers to a team with competent coaching and good chemistry will hopefully work wonders.

Nobody is as good as you remember them when they are playing for the Knicks.

The Mavs were the first team to get anything out of Dalambert, and he is was not at all consistent. Calderon was such a defensive liability that leaving him in was always a 50/50 proposition. Larkin is a project, I wish the Mavs had not lost him, but there is no telling with him. As for the two draft picks, this is the NBA not the NFL. Maybe in three year one of those picks will become a role player off the bench.

I think the trade is probably good for both teams though. And with Jackson onboard, maybe the new Knicks will not get sucked into the black hole that is that team.
You realize felton is also shit on defense right? Calderon is still the better player. Tyson is not as good anymore regardless where he played. You only get older...

He's not but he's still the best player in the deal.

Going from the dysfunctional semi-franchise of the Knickerbockers to a team with competent coaching and good chemistry will hopefully work wonders.

Still gave multiple players and picks for one decent player basically. Stop trying to console yourself.

Why would getting rid of the worst PG in the league and Tyson Chandler be a white flag/rebuilding move to Melo? Wouldn't upgrading at PG, acquiring draft picks in a deep draft and improving the cap situation say the opposite to him?

I'm curious to see what kind of trades can be made tomorrow, too. I'm imagining that Dalembert's immediate $7m of salary relief will be teamed up with one or more of:

- Larkin
- Ellington
- Shumpert
- Hardaway Jr

In an effort to unload more salary or get higher draft picks. I wouldn't be surprised if JR Smith and his very manageable contract (for which 10 million was already paid out, remember?)suddenly became more movable too, given that Felton could be moved.

Apath

Why would getting rid of the worst PG in the league and Tyson Chandler be a white flag/rebuilding move to Melo? Wouldn't upgrading at PG, acquiring draft picks in a deep draft and improving the cap situation say the opposite to him?
Yeah, I'm not following either.

Would love to see Melo in Chicago though.
Lebron Kobe Melo Rondo

Coach K

Basketball dies.
Rose + Chandler + Westbrook + Wade + Kobe is my dream team.

C4Lukins

You realize felton is also shit on defense right? Calderon is still the better player. Tyson is not as good anymore regardless where he played. You only get older...

Yeah certainly. I do think Carlisle may be able to get a bit more out of him, but he is just baggage as far as I am concerned with this trade. I think a big part of this trade is having Nowitzki, Ellis, and Chandler to help attract another big fish. None of the players we gave up were going to attract anyone to the Mavs.

I honestly don't understand the Mavs/Knicks deal. I guess it's good for NY if it means they cut salary or something or can use the assets for something else. I don't think Chandler will ever be 2011 Playoffs Chandler again. and fat Felton lols

I am not sure why the Mavs did this deal....also Toronto is so screwed, stupid Masai should have traded Lowry while you could have, now we have the 21st pick and are in full rebuild mode.

Ainge should have traded the #17 pick or next years pick for Asik

Could have had Asik x Embid twin towers

Rondo for Patrick Beverly x Lin x Garcia

jbug617

Banned
So the speculation is that Houston is going to sign either Lebron or Melo and then trade Harden for the other guy in a S&T.

Enron

Banned
The Mavs/Knicks deal makes perfect sense. Dallas' biggest need is a C that can defend, and a backcourt of Monta/Jose is simply not going to get it done on defense.. That's 3 huge black holes on defense in your starting 5. Everybody Hates Raymond is only owed like 7 million total, and Chandler's deal is expiring. Mavs get out from under Calderon's deal and can go grab a PG that can play some D.

Just heard about the Rockets-Pelican deal

New Orleans will send a future first-round pick to Houston for Asik, league source tells Yahoo Sports. Deal will give Rockets cap space.

Morey does it again. He moved that poison-pill contract with a $14 million cap hit this year. Got a first rounder as well impressive. But that frontcourt for Pelicans should be fun to watch. They should win rebounding every game to say the least.

alba

Little is the new Big
Isn't he coming off a pretty bad knee injury or something?

Not a pretty bad, I'd say just bad :p But he was doing pretty darn well for the Rockets and he's young so, that solves our backup C problem. Nazr is too old and can't contribute to meaningful minutes anymore.

Pelicans are going to have a crazy front court with Asik and Davis.

The Rockets might be able to make something happen with Love/Rondo. I doubt they're going to be able to get Melo (with only the 4-year max available) or LBJ (his best move would be to stay with MIA unless he can team with Melo somewhere), but they can probably make a nice deal with the Cs or Wolves now.

I suppose if the Rockets were to find someone else to help them clear salary to get one of LBJ/Melo, they could trade Harden or something like that for the other one...but that's some stupid NBA2K shit, which means it'll be on ESPN soon. This is just as plausible as the Knicks finding someone to dump Amare and sweeteners (picks? expirings? etc) or something to help them find a way to get both the same way.

One more day left. My personal wish list for guys that should be around by the time the Lakers pick:
1)Aaron Gordon
2) Zack Lavine
3) Marcus Smart
4)Julius Randle
5) anyone but Vonleh

Vonleh just gives me Hilton Armstong/Jordan HIll/every other athletic big man who plays soft or timid but gets drafted high because of potential

Furyous

If Melo goes to Houston, it will (according to Chris Broussard) be a sign and trade for James Harden.

Feel is working hard as shit transforming the Knicks. He needs to get rid of JR blood Smith and all will be right in Knicks land.

Pelicans are going to have a crazy front court with Asik and Davis.

Yes the pelicans should be better next year with this trade happening. The west is gonna be ridiculously tough next year barring injuries.

If the Heat break up the east is wide open with the Bulls and Pacers being the top teams on paper. Though The Bulls being east conference contenders depends on on how healthy Derrick Rose is and the Pacers whether or not they can resign Lance Stephenson. If those two teams falter as unlikely as this sounds the Washington Wizards could be the best team in the east. This made me realize how bad the east is.

Bowser

Pelicans are idiotic. You gave up ANOTHER lottery pick for a guy that, yes, I'll admit, will pair up well with Davis in the front court. But you're still not making the playoffs in the West, so you just lost another potential lottery guy to build up a team around Davis and you can bet your ass Asik is getting the hell outta dodge after this season.

Top Bottom