• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

CSX

I'm in tears here. SO far the Grantland previews vids are better than last year's

Rnkou0A.jpg

So, we won the game vs the Spurs without Bosh and Wade, and Napier scored 25pts with 4 assists... I wish we get at least half this production point-wise during the season!

Philly is suppose to be such a great basketball town. Sad to see this as the product being given to the fans.

philly fans can take it with the success the eagles are having at the moment. gonna be a sad sad spring though

the tank likely ends after this year barring an injury setback, so best to just get it over with now to stop the nonsense

effzee

Philly is suppose to be such a great basketball town. Sad to see this as the product being given to the fans.

With the way the NBA is set up, it actually feels better knowing there is a plan, even if it's to tank, then being one of those teams in the middle of the pack with no plan.

Now it better work. Sucks that the league is set up on your city being attractive to big names or being lucky enough to land a LeBron.

agrajag

Banned
I'm now feeling pretty positive about the Heat. After struggling in the summer rhythm, Shabazz is starting to find his rhythm and confidence. Let's see how he performs in the regular season. Ennis continues to impress, Shawne Williams is looking good, so is Granger and Deng. Josh Hamilton looked really good in the summer league, and Tyler Johnson seemingly came out of nowhere and is playing with a lot of energy and athleticism. Chalmers has been looking better than he has all of last year. And McBob hasn't even played yet!

phanphare

Banned
I'm now feeling pretty positive about the Heat. After struggling in the summer rhythm, Shabazz is starting to find his rhythm and confidence. Let's see how he performs in the regular season. Ennis continues to impress, Shawne Williams is looking good, so is Granger and Deng. Josh Hamilton looked really good in the summer league, and Tyler Johnson seemingly came out of nowhere and is playing with a lot of energy and athleticism. Chalmers has been looking better than he has all of last year. And McBob hasn't even played yet!

based McBob

I think we have a good shot at 4th seed or even a 3rd seed of Washington does not gel well.

zychi

Banned
i think the heat will be a good team. obv not anywhere near the last few seasons. but miami fans (welcome back actual fans, not fariweather) should have some positives to cheer about. besides wade, the team looks young and at the very least a 5 seed.

on paper for the east, and assuming no injuries i have

bulls
cha
cle
tor
mia
was
bk
det

the west is going to be weird this year. since kd is missing a ton of time, and father time may have caught up to kobe and the spurs

B.O.O.M

So far I have been impressed with Kamen. He has been playing rather well and could potentially have a very nice impact off the bench for the Blazers. Solid get

jptrey06

i think the heat will be a good team. obv not anywhere near the last few seasons. but miami fans (welcome back actual fans, not fariweather) should have some positives to cheer about. besides wade, the team looks young and at the very least a 5 seed.

bulls
cha
cle
tor
mia
was
bk
det

the west is going to be weird this year. since kd is missing a ton of time, and father time may have caught up to kobe and
the spurs

The Hornets over the cavs and the raps??? On where? The jersey?

bulls
cha
cle
tor
mia
was
bk
det

the west is going to be weird this year. since kd is missing a ton of time, and father time may have caught up to kobe and the spurs

Kobe and the Lakers likely won't be a part of the playoff discussion anyway, unless it's sneaking in somehow as an 8th seed. I would not be surprised if the same 8 teams make it in the west, in nearly the same order. The one team I could see making significant noise/change is Dallas though. As for Father time and the Spurs, I don't see it, at least not in the regular season. Pop has mastered the art of roster management and resting guys. If Father Time does catch up to SA it won't be until the playoffs.

zychi

Banned
Kobe and the Lakers likely won't be a part of the playoff discussion anyway, unless it's sneaking in somehow as an 8th seed. I would not be surprised if the same 8 teams make it in the west, in nearly the same order. The one team I could see making significant noise/change is Dallas though. As for Father time and the Spurs, I don't see it, at least not in the regular season. Pop has mastered the art of roster management and resting guys. If Father Time does catch up to SA it won't be until the playoffs.
I think duncan will be fine, im more worried about parker and manu. Pop will have them in the playoffs, but im not as confident in them getting ti the finals like i was the past two years

jptrey06

Yeah I agree. Dallas has a very talented backcourt.
I mean looks at this:
Nelson/Felton/Harris
Ellis/Ledo
That is really impressive on the paper.

The west is still as tough as ever tho. The pelicans are finally starting to become healthy and I just can't wait to see what they can do with a healthy Anderson, Gordon and Holiday. Then there's the Suns. A full season of a healthy Bledsoe and the Dragon is going to be exciting.

Oh shit, the wait is killing me man. I'm tired of watching the Raptors preview here. (Nbatv Canada) -__-

overcast

Scared for the Rockets this season.

Harden/Howard are good enough, but they still need to gel better. I like Jones a lot and think he can develop more, I like Ariza. Thing is they need people like Canaan, Motiejunas, and Daniels stepping up.

phanphare

Banned
looks like the Hornets/Bulls game was a good one, even though we lost. all 5 starters for the Hornets in double digits. MKG had 14 points which is really nice to see. his offense needs to catch up to his defense. Marvin Williams was one rebound away from a double-double. nice to see him fitting in well. gonna be a fun season. almost a week away from opening night at The Hive!

Westbrook suppose to be the most athletic guy and fastest from end to end in the NBA now? Derrick Rose said that is an outright lie. He looks unstoppable. He will still have to learn to pace himself though. Cleveland playing good team basketball so far tonight.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Westbrook suppose to be the most athletic guy and fastest from end to end in the NBA now? Derrick Rose said that is an outright lie. He looks unstoppable. He will still have to learn to pace himself though. Cleveland playing good team basketball so far tonight.

Drose and lebron are the fastest guys I've seen end to end in the last decade or so. Combination of length and speed is tough to match.

Cole Slaw

Banned
Yeah, I just read that ESPN piece on Kobe, as linked to by UnObtainium here: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...obe-bryant-reason-los-angeles-lakers-downfall

As a Lakers fan, it was sobering. Everything I read was believable, especially the bits about Nash and Howard. It’s like that eye-opening read that once you read it you can’t unsee Kobe for who he really is. It's going to be a long two years so I'm going to pass the time by watching Golden State Warriors and LeBron James instead.

watershed

Banned
Yeah, I just read that ESPN piece on Kobe, as linked to by UnObtainium here: http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...obe-bryant-reason-los-angeles-lakers-downfall

As a Lakers fan, it was sobering. Everything I read was believable, especially the bits about Nash and Howard. It’s like that eye-opening read that once you read it you can’t unsee Kobe for who he really is. It's going to be a long two years so I'm going to pass the time by watching Golden State Warriors and LeBron James instead.

It's a good read but it's also more or less a regurgitation of everything we've been hearing out of lakerland for years now. Ever since Dwight Howard signed with the lakers these stories were out there and again this off-season.

It mostly rings true to me, not because of the unnamed sources, but because we all know the kind of player Kobe is. He's great, driven, selfish, intimidating, and in the twilight of his career.

C4Lukins

I will create a thread for this once I get it it setup a little better.

16 team league through Yahoo.

Live draft at 6 pm PDT on Sunday October 26th.

Register on Yahoo, and then PM me if you are interested.

This will be a casual fantasy league.

jbug617

Banned
Deadspin picked out the quotes about Kobe
http://deadspin.com/anonymous-nba-a...ource=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

"Peek behind the banners," says one longtime NBA agent, "and it's rotten."

"Kobe is like the big rock in their front yard," says an agent who has had a Lakers client in recent years. "You can't mow over it, so you just have to mow around it."

Another agent with current Lakers clients was asked whether Bryant undermined the team's rebuilding by alienating would-be free agent recruits. "Well, duh," he replied. "Isn't that obvious?"

"I've had a lot of clients in the last five years, good players, who didn't want to play with Kobe," says an agent who has had numerous NBA stars. "They see that his teammates become the chronic public whipping boys. Anyone who could possibly challenge Kobe for the spotlight ends up becoming a pincushion for the media. Even Shaq."

"I just never felt like the Lakers put as much effort into the building-the-team part of it," says an agent who once had a free agent decline a Lakers offer. "I saw some things in the players' parking lot. Conversations between Bynum and his people and some people with the Lakers. It got pretty rough and heated."

"It's horrendous. It's evil. It's a hard drug to quit when you're winning," says a front office executive from a rival team who knows everyone involved well. "Kobe has cost the Lakers dearly in human capital. Kobe has hurt a lot of people. In some cases jeopardized careers."

It's like what the Jeter retirement story would have been like if the media had been honest about Jeter instead of sucking him off at every chance.

I really don't care. Kobe's in the twilight. We got 5 rings out of his tenure as a Laker. Am I supposed to be upset? We get 2 more years out of him. Years that the Lakers likely would not have been contending anyway, even if we had given Kobe $15 million a year instead of $25 million. I guess at this point I can't muster the energy to care.

Watched a bit of the Mavs Grizzlies pre season game tonight and man this starting 5 with the mavs look really freaking good. This is only the second time Carlisle has used his starting five since the Cavs game.

Dirk is especially looking really good right now, I can't believe he's knocking shots down like he is at 36 years old.

More or less the same, but i´m gonna spend more time watching the bulls now that Pau is there

Lebron is going to kill him if he doesn't shape up lol. That's what worries me about the cavs 2 of their top 3 players are questionable at best on defense.

However that offense will be scary

eh, Love has been alright on that end as far as I can tell (granted, it's still only preseason)

it's just that Irving is Harden tier

Fjordson

Wow, Festus Ezeli is actually playing tonight for Golden State. Would be huge this year if he can provide just some decent minutes off the bench.

I would like to know this as well. NBA is the only Fantasy league I enjoy.

I will create one tomorrow if nobody else is going to take the reigns.

Do it! Would any other GAFers be interested? Could be a little dry with just the two of us but I'm not complaining! Try to make the live draft somewhat UK time friendly for me please.

Pastry

Banned
I think duncan will be fine, im more worried about parker and manu. Pop will have them in the playoffs, but im not as confident in them getting ti the finals like i was the past two years
A little late on this but Parker has had more rest this summer than he's had in the past couple of years, I think he'll be better this season than last.

Irving is so unfathomably bad on defense. Watching the Drose highlights from the Cavs game and he just abuses Kyrie on multiple occasions. Granted Rose is a top player when healthy in his own right so it's not like he would be shut out, but Kyrie isn't even close to playing decent defense on most possessions.

Highlights in question: http://youtu.be/Cj-fq9tGPA8?list=UU-Ba10Rmz8pFivAVdQNeFyw

Cool to know somebody else who watches Dawkins. Great channel.

C4Lukins

Do it! Would any other GAFers be interested? Could be a little dry with just the two of us but I'm not complaining! Try to make the live draft somewhat UK time friendly for me please.

We have at least a couple others interested. I will flesh out the details tomorrow. Again pm me if you are interested. I set it up as a 16 team league, but if we can get 8 at least it would be fun.

It is difficult to make it UK friendly, but you can set up your draft automatically so that if you are not available you will draft the next person on your list even if you are not there.

If a few more people show interest, we can work on the time of the draft to make it the best for everyone involved.

Top Bottom