• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All Star game is all about if you are a "star" player. Always has been. That's fine if you just accept it.

It's not nor has it ever has been about who's actually playing the best so far in the first half.

Soonri

I'm trying hard not to panic, but the season is over for the Mavs if Tyson Chandler is out for an extended period of time. By far the team's most important player.

Soonri

How did Tyson look coming off the floor?

Had to be helped off by 2 trainers. Davis' knee went into his, but I'm not sure if Tyson's knee buckled down from the impact.

Luckily for the Mavs Tyreke Evans may still shoot the Pelicans out of this game.

E: TYSON'S BACK THE MAVS ARE SAVED

Fatalah

OMmUyIB.png

So the Knicks want to send Pablo to the Pistons, but it will actually be Calderon in disguise?

Soonri

I just want him to come to Miami in a couple years. Come get a ring with Baby Shaq.

PEACE.

I know Pat Riley is secretly Satan, but I don't see why Durant wouldn't go home to DC or stay in OKC first. Paul Pierce is probably going to retire soon and Otto Porter hasn't really shown enough to take a starter's role. That leaves a hole that KD could fill next year.

That being said, Pat Riley is still Satan so he could definitely pull some stuff.

Fjordson

Man, Warriors with a real ugly win over Boston.

Guessing some guys are more than ready for the All-Star break lol. At least Klay followed up the 52 point game with a nice 31. And in 32 minutes.

Man, Warriors with a real ugly win over Boston.

Guessing some guys are more than ready for the All-Star break lol. At least Klay followed up the 52 point game with a nice 31. And in 32 minutes.

Ball movement was kinda lacking tonight and defensive intensity was not quite there. Not really concerned though...I'm hoping the team gets dialed in after the all star break.

Also...Curry dunking with two hands was unexpected.

RBK

Banned
He's taller, but Chuck Hayes does/did everything you needed as a big man.

Sure he can develop to the same type of player.

Westlo

Lets be real, GOATSIDE the best signing Riles had done ever.

Wait till he gets a full offseason with Zo...

Real talk though we need to somehow get Dragic next year.

Yeah, I'm surprised how many teams turned this guy down. I've heard him say that he called every team in the NBA asking to at least give him a chance at a workout and that the Heat were the only ones that would give him a shot.

TraBuch

Banned
Kind of a random, out-of-nowhere question, but does anyone know how Jay Williams was viewed after his rookie season with the Bulls before the motorcycle accident? Was he the next big thing? A disappointment? Somewhere in the middle?

Good game by Love, but he seems to be a role player instead of a key part of the offense.

I mean, he's doing a ton of work before halftime. He usually has a double double secured before the first half ends. But for whatever reason, they stop going to him in the block and LBJ/Irving dominate the ball.

But yea, he's reliant on the people who can drive to kick him the ball. Also, he's a *very* willing passer. Maybe too willing at times. He swings the ball once he gets it like he didn't average 25ppg last season. I know the situation is significantly different than in his Timberwolves days, but I expected his mentality to be similar to JR Smith's: shoot it! I need Love to not give a fuck on offense. JR definitely has more killer in his soul than Love has...but Love is still really young and he's never been deep enough into the playoffs to play with that kind of edge. Next year (assuming he remains a Cav as I hope), he'll be a fucking problem. I just don't know if he'll "get it" completely in the context of this team comp in the 40 or so games left this year. It would be nice, but I don't expect it.

That said, it's really easy to overlook his rebounding contributions. He's often getting 7-10 boards in the first quarter alone. He just needs to find a way to get himself involved in the last 7 minutes of the 4th in a stronger way. Call harder for the ball. I know LeBron is on the team and errythang, but call for that fuckin ball, KLove.

Fjordson

Cavs looking kinda good. Would be crazy if after all the issues they end up winning the East. I'll always cheer for Lebron to lose, but I have to admit that it'd be an impressive turnaround if it happens.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Warriors to honor Manute Bol with lifesize 7'7" bobblehead:

To celebrate Manute Bol Bobblehead Night, the team will also have a life-size 7’7” Manute Bol Bobblehead on display in Section 112 of the main concourse at Oracle Arena. Fans will be encouraged to take photos with the Bobblehead and share on social media with the hashtag #ManuteBobblehead to help raise money for the Warriors Community Foundation. For every shared image of the life-size Bobblehead, Kingsford Capital Management will donate $1 to the Warriors Community Foundation through the Hoops For Kids program, up to $10,000. The Hoops For Kids program is committed to helping youth in the Bay Area live, learn and play.

Bol played for the Warriors for three seasons (1988-90, 1994-95). In his first season with Golden State in 1988-89, Bol led the league with a team-record 345 blocks while also demonstrating a rare shooting touch for a man his size, converting on 20 three-pointers. The Sudanese star averaged 3.34 blocks per game in his career, the second-best mark in league history, and ranks 15th on the NBA’s all-time blocks list with over 2,000 career rejections. Bol’s son, Chris Bol, will be in attendance at Tuesday night’s game to honor his father, who passed away on June 19, 2010.

Kind of a random, out-of-nowhere question, but does anyone know how Jay Williams was viewed after his rookie season with the Bulls before the motorcycle accident? Was he the next big thing? A disappointment? Somewhere in the middle?

Somewhere in the middle. I remember him being erratic and then people constantly using the it's just his first year as an excuse.

Its time for my yearly rant. I will be back next year.

For the second straight year in a row, and for only the second time since 1987 I have stopped watching the Lakers. Prior to last year, I had not missed a game in close to 26 years.

I have never been more disgusted in my life with a franchise. Every decision they make is the absolute worst. The entire franchise from top to bottom has become a carnival of stupid.

It only took 3 years to destroy a mans 35 year work of love. that is how incompetent leadership is now. It breaks my heart to see this team not even compete. They are a joke, and it blows my mind that no one steps in to say ok before you destroy the value of this team, you need to do something here.

TWC must be kicking themselves in the ass. I hope they have an out clause, and exercise it. I hope Jim goes into hiding, and turns over the reigns to someone who knows what they are doing. Mitch, is not the kind of GM that works in todays NBA, We need someone younger, who know how to work with a computer.

I will not give this team another moment of my time, I am done with the NBA till the playoffs, to watch real Basketball. Not this carny freak show.

It absolutely disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!

None of the above. They are just making their 3s now

It's not quite that simple. Mozgov has been huge for them in terms of having a consistent inside presence. J.R. also helps with spacing due to being able to hit outside shots, while LeBron is playing a lot more aggressively inside. With Mozgov able to handle most of the interior defense, Love is able to concentrate on what he does best: rebounding, passing, and hitting open shots. While many laughed at their recent trades, they have been very, very successful so far. They still need more consistency out of guys like Love, Tristan Thompson, and role players like Dellavedova and Marion, but they look like they could end up being the second best team in the East behind Atlanta if they continue to play like this. My only other main concern would be how much the big 4 (including Mozgov) are playing right now. They seem to always play 35+ minutes every game, which is going to wear them out when the postseason comes around. Kyrie in particular seems to be putting in a ton of time without a true backup. If they can expand their bench so that they are consistently playing at least 10 guys a game instead of the 8 that they've been playing for a while, they should be in better shape.

So are they finally listening to Blatt or has Lebron just fully taken over?

Both of the above, somehow.

LeBron's regained his physical ability to take over ever since he took that two week rest (recall that he was out with "back and knee soreness" and up to that point was playing some of the worst basketball of his career)

And Blatt finally doesn't need to give huge minutes to players like Dellavedova who'd be fringe second-unit at best on any other playoff team (in addition to all of the above points mentioned by ratcliffja regarding the play that's possible with the current rotations - and also regarding the huge load the starters are still carrying).

He looked real good, but let him put a few consistent games up before crowning him best signing ever.

A good heat team helps balance out the east, so I'd like to see that.

It's not quite that simple. Mozgov has been huge for them in terms of having a consistent inside presence. J.R. also helps with spacing due to being able to hit outside shots, while LeBron is playing a lot more aggressively inside. With Mozgov able to handle most of the interior defense, Love is able to concentrate on what he does best: rebounding, passing, and hitting open shots. While many laughed at their recent trades, they have been very, very successful so far. They still need more consistency out of guys like Love, Tristan Thompson, and role players like Dellavedova and Marion, but they look like they could end up being the second best team in the East behind Atlanta if they continue to play like this. My only other main concern would be how much the big 4 (including Mozgov) are playing right now. They seem to always play 35+ minutes every game, which is going to wear them out when the postseason comes around. Kyrie in particular seems to be putting in a ton of time without a true backup. If they can expand their bench so that they are consistently playing at least 10 guys a game instead of the 8 that they've been playing for a while, they should be in better shape.

Didn't the Knicks let go of another Center the Cavs were gonna look at? Also, yeah, there's murmurs the Cavs want Mo Williams again as a backup this time, and then there's still Ray Allen, even if it doesn't quite fit that role.

He looked real good, but let him put a few consistent games up before crowning him best signing ever.

A good heat team helps balance out the east, so I'd like to see that.

Didn't the Knicks let go of another Center the Cavs were gonna look at? Also, yeah, there's murmurs the Cavs want Mo Williams again as a backup this time, and then there's still Ray Allen, even if it doesn't quite fit that role.

I assume you're thinking of Dalembert, but I'm not sure if they're still pursuing him, as they're probably still trying to rely on Tristan Thompson for that role, even though he's much better as a backup PF. I would prioritize getting Mo if they could, as he's a proven backup PG, while Dalembert hasn't been very reliable so far.

I assume you're thinking of Dalembert, but I'm not sure if they're still pursuing him, as they're probably still trying to rely on Tristan Thompson for that role, even though he's much better as a backup PF. I would prioritize getting Mo if they could, as he's a proven backup PG, while Dalembert hasn't been very reliable so far.

Tristan is a fantastic energy guy, but what the doctor ordered in Mozgov's case was sheer size, and having a more abled big body (sorry Haywood) would help balance out the 2nd and 3rd team to keep everyone fresh like you're saying.

and yeah, Mo would fit perfectly, and fans still love him here.

I mean, he's doing a ton of work before halftime. He usually has a double double secured before the first half ends. But for whatever reason, they stop going to him in the block and LBJ/Irving dominate the ball.

But yea, he's reliant on the people who can drive to kick him the ball. Also, he's a *very* willing passer. Maybe too willing at times. He swings the ball once he gets it like he didn't average 25ppg last season. I know the situation is significantly different than in his Timberwolves days, but I expected his mentality to be similar to JR Smith's: shoot it! I need Love to not give a fuck on offense. JR definitely has more killer in his soul than Love has...but Love is still really young and he's never been deep enough into the playoffs to play with that kind of edge. Next year (assuming he remains a Cav as I hope), he'll be a fucking problem. I just don't know if he'll "get it" completely in the context of this team comp in the 40 or so games left this year. It would be nice, but I don't expect it.

That said, it's really easy to overlook his rebounding contributions. He's often getting 7-10 boards in the first quarter alone. He just needs to find a way to get himself involved in the last 7 minutes of the 4th in a stronger way. Call harder for the ball. I know LeBron is on the team and errythang, but call for that fuckin ball, KLove.

I think he's doing a lot for the team, but as you said he's lacking that killer instinct and play like an equal to LeBron and Irving.

Top Bottom