• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Shun

Matt Barnes loathed.

As much as I hate LA sports and hate the stuff he pulls off, I have to respect the hustle he, Davis, Monta, Biedrins, Richardson, and Jackson went through to give us hope after a 10+ year drought in 07.

Out of that pack the only likable dude was probably Biedrins, Richardson, and by extension Ellis.

Hell we kept losing and tanking with Steph's glass ankles for another 6 years to 2013 till we drafted Ezeli, Barnes, and Green.

First year we made the postseason and we took San Antonio to 6 games.

We were garbage almost 20 years till 2013 to present, now we got an amazing and likable cast for the first time in forever. These past 3 years have been too kind to loyal Dubs fans.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't find this Westbrook triple-double streak impressive on any level just because they're winning games by the narrowest of margins.

NBA GAF's hating on Westbrook is getting pretty silly. I feel like I'm back on Real GM.

NBA GAF's hating on Westbrook is getting pretty silly. I feel like I'm back on Real GM.

It's an incredible feat but dude is still being inefficient as all hell. It'd be more impressive if he wasn't chucking as much.

Also, i think the heat are down to 2 D-leaguers and a very fit janitor for their lineup right now. This season, man.

commish

It's an incredible feat but dude is still being inefficient as all hell. It'd be more impressive if he wasn't chucking as much.

Also, i think the heat are down to 2 D-leaguers and a very fit janitor for their lineup right now. This season, man.

I guess we have a different view on what makes a player "inefficient". Stackhouse and Iverson - those guys were inefficient. Westbrook averaged 31 points on 22 shots in February. When you consider the fact that his team has no other offensive weapons, that is borderline insane efficiency.

I guess we have a different view on what makes a player "inefficient". Stackhouse and Iverson - those guys were inefficient. Westbrook averaged 31 points on 22 shots in February. When you consider the fact that his team has no other offensive weapons, that is borderline insane efficiency.

nine turnovers in the last game almost made it a quadruple double though. dude is reckless, but i'm not denying that he's in beast mode right now. Just that he could be earning them in a cleaner fashion.

and to your point that there is no other real offensive threat for OKC: doesn't that just make him the best looter in a riot ever?

Again, I'm not saying what he's doing isn't damn good and that i wouldn't want him playing for my lowly heat in a heartbeat, just that he's a bit rough around the edges.

As much as I hate LA sports and hate the stuff he pulls off, I have to respect the hustle he, Davis, Monta, Biedrins, Richardson, and Jackson went through to give us hope after a 10+ year drought in 07.

Out of that pack the only likable dude was probably Biedrins, Richardson, and by extension Ellis.

Hell we kept losing and tanking with Steph's glass ankles for another 6 years to 2013 till we drafted Ezeli, Barnes, and Green.

First year we made the postseason and we took San Antonio to 6 games.

We were garbage almost 20 years till 2013 to present, now we got an amazing and likable cast for the first time in forever. These past 3 years have been too kind to loyal Dubs fans.

Baron Davis isn't likeable? I think his issues early on in his career were forgiveable since he was coached by Byron Scott. His stint with the Clips...well it's the Clippers owned by Sterling- you get a pass there too. Other than that dude has always seemed like a really charismatic guy.

I don't hate Biedrins. I kinda pity him (well from a pure basketball perspective- I recognize that the guy collected millions of dollars for wallowing in his mediocrity). It's amazing how being shamed for sucking at free throws just sucked all the confidence out of his game.

You know...I was really bitter for years when we traded J Rich and broke up that 2007 team. That starting 5 only played like 30 games together and I wanted to see what they could do with a full season and everyone healthy (J Rich started the season injured). Of course had I known that offseason was essentially put into motion Cohan selling to Lacob ( I wanted Ellison- again wrong there too)...then I'd be ok.

Yeah after 20+ years of watching the W's whiff so badly as a franchise (being down 10 with 1 min left thinking Bimbo Coles will win us the game/Selling Larry Hughes as the next AI or Marc Jackson could be a franchise center/laughing at the "it's a great time out" marketing era), it's really hard for me to be critical or down on anything especially this season. Even if we don't do well in the playoffs this year, just the overall structure of the team and the franchise gives me faith that they'll figure it out eventually.

Also...it's amazing to think that out of the Yao Ming, Jay Williams, and Mike Dunleavy Jr. draft, Mr. triple single with his Charmin soft toilet paper defense and inconsistent shooting is still in the league playing rotation minutes on a playoff squad.

Westbrook has 5 triple-doubles in the past 6 games. You're crazy if you don't find that impressive.

I absolutely loathe Westbrook's decision making and by extension his game but even I'm impressed at the numbers he's put up. It's do or die time for the Thunder and he's putting them on his back.

Fjordson

nine turnovers in the last game almost made it a quadruple double though. dude is reckless, but i'm not denying that he's in beast mode right now. Just that he could be earning them in a cleaner fashion.

and to your point that there is no other real offensive threat for OKC: doesn't that just make him the best looter in a riot ever?

Again, I'm not saying what he's doing isn't damn good and that i wouldn't want him playing for my lowly heat in a heartbeat, just that he's a bit rough around the edges.
Agreed. I'd love him on the Warriors if we didn't have Steph, but there are still some glaring flaws there.

B_qvdFmU0AA2D7R.png

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-sons-of-pop-and-the-zen-master-its-time-to-properly-measure-the-value-of-nba-coaches/

Excellent article on Grantland about the value of NBA coaching and how generating 3 point shooting is a direct result of good coaching. Been thinking about this a lot lately too. I feel like franchises and fans are too obsessed with players and don't really give proper coaching their due.

In 2015, the NBA’s best coaches might be the most undervalued human resources in the league. Should Jeremy Lin or Eric Gordon really earn more money than Gregg Popovich? Should Kerr, Budenholzer, and Dave Joerger combine to earn less than Omer Asik? Maybe we’ve traditionally overvalued the impact of players relative to coaches, or maybe the way the game is played now has just heightened the import of tacticians. Either way, the current valuations seem out of whack.

As Kerr and Budenholzer have most recently demonstrated, sometimes changing the coach can be as effective, or more so, as adding a superstar player or two. But coaching prospects come with tremendous amounts of uncertainty. Shaw was one of the most talked-about candidates in the league for years, while many questioned Kerr’s lack of coaching experience. Kerr has obviously proved the doubters wrong, and the Shaw hype looks unwarranted.

Every summer we fawn over the fates of potential free agents, while coaching transactions assume a much lower profile in the news cycle. But as the Hawks and Warriors are suggesting this season, it’s time we reevaluate these obsessions and the valuations underpinning them.

Jackson can always say, “count the rings,” while Pop can always say, “count the proteges.”

J2 Cool

That Curry move making the rounds is cool to watch..sloppy as hell though. He's looking at his shoes through his whole thing, then looks up and throws up a fall away with 9 seconds left on the shot clock. Cool it went in but that not really a highlight to play over and over

Fjordson

That Curry move making the rounds is cool to watch..sloppy as hell though. He's looking at his shoes through his whole thing, then looks up and throws up a fall away with 9 seconds left on the shot clock. Cool it went in but that not really a highlight to play over and over
debbie-downer.jpg

commish

Agreed. I'd love him on the Warriors if we didn't have Steph, but there are still some glaring flaws there.

We need to put these "glaring flaws" into perspective. Right now, flaws and all, he's on the short list of best players in the world and is doing things that 99.999999% of players couldn't dream of doing if they were in his position.

And if there was a draft of all nba players, I would think that Westbrook goes before your Steph :p

Ha, yeah, it was a pretty poor decision to take that shot (which is why Kerr was about to pass out). But he made it, and it makes for a great highlight.

Shun

Baron Davis isn't likeable? I think his issues early on in his career were forgiveable since he was coached by Byron Scott. His stint with the Clips...well it's the Clippers owned by Sterling- you get a pass there too. Other than that dude has always seemed like a really charismatic guy.

I don't hate Biedrins. I kinda pity him (well from a pure basketball perspective- I recognize that the guy collected millions of dollars for wallowing in his mediocrity). It's amazing how being shamed for sucking at free throws just sucked all the confidence out of his game.

You know...I was really bitter for years when we traded J Rich and broke up that 2007 team. That starting 5 only played like 30 games together and I wanted to see what they could do with a full season and everyone healthy (J Rich started the season injured). Of course had I known that offseason was essentially put into motion Cohan selling to Lacob ( I wanted Ellison- again wrong there too)...then I'd be ok.

Yeah after 20+ years of watching the W's whiff so badly as a franchise (being down 10 with 1 min left thinking Bimbo Coles will win us the game/Selling Larry Hughes as the next AI or Marc Jackson could be a franchise center/laughing at the "it's a great time out" marketing era), it's really hard for me to be critical or down on anything especially this season. Even if we don't do well in the playoffs this year, just the overall structure of the team and the franchise gives me faith that they'll figure it out eventually.

Also...it's amazing to think that out of the Yao Ming, Jay Williams, and Mike Dunleavy Jr. draft, Mr. triple single with his Charmin soft toilet paper defense and inconsistent shooting is still in the league playing rotation minutes on a playoff squad.

I absolutely loathe Westbrook's decision making and by extension his game but even I'm impressed at the numbers he's put up. It's do or die time for the Thunder and he's putting them on his back.

Davis is alright, we just had a lot of screwups on the way it's hard to find genuine guys from the back.

I have faith in our front office, it's just that I still feel betrayed over the decision to move to San Francisco and the blatant gentrification reason. Win it for Oakland at least once, please.

Other than that no way will I want Westbrick on my team. Dude has tunnel vision and would definitely disrupt the chemistry the team has. His shot selection, decision making, and overall attitude is terrible. I don't question is raw ability, but the dude is playing a shit ton of minutes and he's running himself into the ground come playoff time.

I don't see OKC taking us to 7, no even 6 games with the burden their players carry.

Hell, I'm secretly hoping for New Orleans to wake up so AD makes it to the postseason. It's still possible.

Fjordson

And if there was a draft of all nba players, I would think that Westbrook goes before your Steph :p
That's fine, was just giving my opinion. I'd take Steph over Westbrook and rest quite easily.

And like I said, despite his issues, Westbrook is a great player. Would love him on my team.

Davis is alright, we just had a lot of screwups on the way it's hard to find genuine guys from the back.

I have faith in our front office, it's just that I still feel betrayed over the decision to move to San Francisco and the blatant gentrification reason. Win it for Oakland at least once, please.

Other than that no way will I want Westbrick on my team. Dude has tunnel vision and would definitely disrupt the chemistry the team has. His shot selection, decision making, and overall attitude is terrible. I don't question is raw ability, but the dude is playing a shit ton of minutes and he's running himself into the ground come playoff time.

I don't see OKC taking us to 7, no even 6 games with the burden their players carry.

Hell, I'm secretly hoping for New Orleans to wake up so AD makes it to the postseason. It's still possible.

The move to SF really does worry me. It's not an issue distance wise (at least for me, I grew up in the Peninsula) but the crowd in Oakland really is a different vibe. Lacob recently did say on an interview that he's very concerned and aware of the unique fanbase but at the same time...management did try to replace Jim Barnett and force him into early retirement while keeping Fitz (apparently there was a bigger twitter campaign lobbying to keep JB over the summer)...which flies in the face of every W's fan. Thankfully they realized that was a big mistake

We need to put these "glaring flaws" into perspective. Right now, flaws and all, he's on the short list of best players in the world and is doing things that 99.999999% of players couldn't dream of doing if they were in his position.

I dunno any player that can shoot the way Steph does while handling the rock in the same way that I dunno any player of Westbrook size with the combination of power/speed..

So Westbrook before Steph? depends on the GM. Given how the game has evolved to value the 3 ball, a player that can run your offense create his own 3 point shot off different looks is just as valuable as a player that creates a unique mismatch at his position.

Ha, yeah, it was a pretty poor decision to take that shot (which is why Kerr was about to pass out). But he made it, and it makes for a great highlight.

There was 9 seconds on the shot clock too...I loved Kerr's reaction...
Steph, what are you thinking? omg this is so going to be a teaching point and er.. nm...good shot.

You guys think this bump was intentional?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxMi1ZkIbo

Draymond's response in the locker room
I think he wanted a response from me...but he don't play- trollface

Isaiah Thomas Gigi for MVP!

And yes, Mario and Luigi are playing against each other in an NBA game. They're even wearing the correct colors.

We won't make the playoffs if we can't beat the garbage teams at home. Even with Dragic out there is no excuse to lose at home to this team.

At least Deng is back and hopefully Dragic will be back soon.

Pimpwerx

We won't make the playoffs if we can't beat the garbage teams at home. Even with Dragic out there is no excuse to lose at home to this team.

At least Deng is back and hopefully Dragic will be back soon.
In all my Dragic list, I forgot one of my NBA rules: players acquired from Phoenix almost always break down the next season. I was high on Goran since his Houston days, but it's kinda worrying that as soon as he comes here, he starts missing time for injuries. PEACE.

Top Bottom