• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Kite

Just for shits and giggles I lurked on some Lakers message boards tonight after their "loss" in the tankoff with the 76ers.. oh boy Lin better not go out for the next few days, kid might get jumped lol Laker fans are maaaad xD

Fjordson

Something going on in Dallas apparently.

Too Much Monta? Mavs Might Have to Move On

Regardless of whether anyone will admit it on the record, Ellis is a big part of that problem. Folks in the Mavs organization have been fretting for weeks about the impact Ellis’ moodiness has on the team’s soul.

That, of course, isn’t a first for Ellis. He had trouble getting along with teammates during his tenure with the Golden State Warriors, who never won anything of note with Ellis as the go-to guy and made an addition-by-subtraction deal by shipping him off. The same was true with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Jeez. And this is a Dallas writer.

Soonri

Something going on in Dallas apparently.

Too Much Monta? Mavs Might Have to Move On

Jeez. And this is a Dallas writer.

Monta has a player option for next year, but he's very much underpaid even though he's been struggling really badly since February. The feeling is that he will probably opt out to get his last big deal, although he has always said he loves Dallas. The conundrum for the Mavs is do you pay an undersized 2 guard big money when he's turning 30 and is a liability on D, even though he is your go-to guy? Parsons has also emerged as a guy to run offense through this season; at times him running the PnR with Tyson/Dirk/Amare carries the team.

Honestly I feel that Monta's best role is as 6th man but that he has too much pride to do it - he's an attacking guard that will slow down and isn't a good shooter. And I don't think he'll get better like Devin Harris did last off-season. But I still want him on my squad :(

The big problem is if that Monta leaves next season there's not gonna be much out there in the market to replace him with during the offseason. FA is going to be extremely shallow with SG's next year, Green will be probably get an extension by SA. Other than that who else is there other than backup SG's?

Who will the Cavs go for if Love leaves them?

They have the Haywood exception which is good for 12 million I believe. Not sure what that gets them, but I still doubt Love leaves. It's in his best interest money wise for that big 2016 season to come back for a year when his bird rights are available for that extra money, and then we could still trade him if need be.

Who will the Cavs go for if Love leaves them?

Love was on various shows this morning (I heard him on Dan Patrick, but he was also on Mike & Mike) and he still says he plans to be in Cleveland next year, win or lose. Dan brought up the Bosh comparison, and Love said (to paraphrase) "the first year would be the hardest," which would suggest his mind is similarly on this being a multiple year pairing. I mean, who knows, athletes can and do say one thing and end up doing another, but Love could at the very least opt in to his last year, or sign a new one year deal, before making any long-term decision about whether he wants to be in Cleveland. On Cleveland's side, they still have the Bird Rights advantage, too.

They have the Haywood exception which is good for 12 million I believe. Not sure what that gets them, but I still doubt Love leaves. It's in his best interest money wise for that big 2016 season to come back for a year when his bird rights are available for that extra money, and then we could still trade him if need be.

The question will be how much the Cavs will be willing to offer him more than anything else. Solid impact guy, but not max money guy. He's proven he's simply not worthy of max money yet. Undersized player with questionable defense and a back that has proven to not be very durable. If he busts some heads and balls out in the playoffs, then sure. Whatever he wants. Otherwise, I think he's going to have to take less than max or be replaced. Gotta prove you're worthy of max money. As a17/10 guy, he's definitely in rare company...but him disappearing in Q4 has to stop and I need to see him demand the ball like a fucking Alpha more than in just Q1 and Q2.

If they decide to keep him, I do hope he spends as much time as he needs to spend relaxing in the offseason and getting that back in shape. The inevitable Cavs playoff exit could spark some true killer instinct in him and thirst for the first time.

zychi

Banned
Just so the Cavs are screwed even more, I hope Love goes apeshit in the playoffs and out plays most of the league.

e: but the Cavs dont win it all.

Fjordson

ESPN...stahp.

CAz4EUyUkAAdWHJ.jpg:large

Love my Dubs, but we don't have the GOAT.

Maxing Love this summer will be far cheaper than doing it next summer, and if that's what the market dictates, it's what the Cavs should try to do.

Of course, that also incentivizes Love to stick around either on a 1-year deal, either with his current deal or a new contract with a new opt-out.

But why? 24 points in 28 minutes on 14 shots blows any stat line from westbrook this entire year out of the water. Rest the 4th quarter and stay focused on the playoffs.

But why? I wanted a $10 2k

Haha, that's pretty cool.

Curry was doing well with 24 through 3 quarters, but he's done for the night now that we're up 30.

Him scoring 24 makes the tomorrows sale only $2 less than what it currently sells for at amazon.. Aint gonna spend that much dough for a game where I will pretty much be getting L's left and right vs anybody online.
N7ZURZd.png
So no 2k15 for me.

I'm getting Bloodborne tomorrow though so its all good
youngsabu.png

Well, if you don't want Harden to go to the line, then don't slap at his wrists. Just let him make the layup.

Yeah, that's the problem. People keep complaining about him 'flopping', and while its true he occasionally flops and tilts his head back to exaggerate contact (like pretty much most players in the league do), the majority of the time people foul him because they can't guard him. That's the disparity in free throws. I can see people getting frustrated looking at the stats, seeing all the free throws he makes, and then getting upset and chalking it up to him just flopping; but if you actually watch all the games he's been playing this season you'll see how easily he just weaves through defenders and gets to the rim. Its amazing.

Fjordson

Yeah, I don't really get why people slap at Harden. His entire goal is to make you foul him. Some drives I watch him take and he isn't even looking at the basket. Yet without fail people reach, Harden jerks his head back, and boom. Free throws.

RBK

Banned
Dallas better win today.

It's a first round knockout no matter who you play, so at least make it entertaining for Houston fans.

El Topo

I think now is a good time to admit that I never really got the Monta Ellis love. He's (really) good, but not necessarily the guy that should be the center piece of your game.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
But why? 24 points in 28 minutes on 14 shots blows any stat line from westbrook this entire year out of the water. Rest the 4th quarter and stay focused on the playoffs.

Speights had 16 points on 9 shots in 14 minutes. He's also better than Westbrook!

Yeah, that's the problem. People keep complaining about him 'flopping', and while its true he occasionally flops and tilts his head back to exaggerate contact (like pretty much most players in the league do), the majority of the time people foul him because they can't guard him. That's the disparity in free throws. I can see people getting frustrated looking at the stats, seeing all the free throws he makes, and then getting upset and chalking it up to him just flopping; but if you actually watch all the games he's been playing this season you'll see how easily he just weaves through defenders and gets to the rim. Its amazing.

Yeah, I don't really get why people slap at Harden. His entire goal is to make you foul him. Some drives I watch him take and he isn't even looking at the basket. Yet without fail people reach, Harden jerks his head back, and boom. Free throws.

I was just making a joke after catching some of the first quarter and he already had 8 or 10 FTAs, meanwhile my dude Kyrie gets knocked to the floor repeatedly and often doesn't get a call. I just want to know what Harden has on the head of league officials to get his 10.1 FTA/PG and Kyrie can only get 4.9.
I'm bitter.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/free-throws/sort/avgFreeThrowsAttempted

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Speights had 16 points on 9 shots in 14 minutes. He's also better than Westbrook!

Mo' Buckets is great if he is making his shots. If he isn't he contributes nothing as he is never double teamed (because it would be dumb to leave curry or thompson open). The point though, in case you missed it, is that Curry is efficient and doesn't hog the ball to put up a bunch of faux stats. 25 point leads in the 3rd quarter are normal and Curry usually sit or just controls tempo and gets others involved. But you know all that. What is crazy are he double and triple teams he gets before even crossing midcourt...teams have just decided he is far too dangerous to have the ball.

Crashing the defensive boards as a point guard leads to a lot of rebounds, out of control drives to the bucket lead to a lot of trips to the foul line (especially when you look to jump into defenders because you can't shoot), and you get lots of assists if your entire game plan is to drive and kick the ball for an immediate shot (if you don't take it yourself). Volume shooter, unimaginative game-plan with no ball movement leads to a lot of hollow stats.

I just don't like seeing a statline whenever a guy get 40 or 50+ points it's due to almost half of it being because of FTs or when someone had an insane amount of FGA and only hit like 40%.

Not a knock on Harden, in this case. Dude attacks the rim and gets fouled, it's simple. Lebron's been doing it for years and years.
I just love seeing those huge point outbursts because a guy gets hot and hits shots from everywhere like Klay, Kyrie or Curry had earlier this season. Just personal preference.

Top Bottom