• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

iamblades

Dat 20/20 hindsight.

Getting LeBron is always the right move. 10 times out of 10.

It's not working out right now, and they might not get it right at all, but let's not get crazy and say they were better off not doing these deals.

The LeBron move was certainly a good move, just for the economic reasons. Ultimately you have to get people in the seats.

The Love move is less certain. I'm not sold on Love as a player that can actually help a team win games, but they didn't really give up any pieces that would help them win now to get him, so that move doesn't hurt them this year.

Irving is the issue with the way that team is constructed though, I've thought his over-dribbling has ruined offensive flow since he was in college. Fancy dribbling is nice to pull out in an all star game, but it doesn't really help you win NBA games that much.

Soonri

The LeBron move was certainly a good move, just for the economic reasons. Ultimately you have to get people in the seats.

The Love move is less certain. I'm not sold on Love as a player that can actually help a team win games, but they didn't really give up any pieces that would help them win now to get him, so that move doesn't hurt them this year.

Irving is the issue with the way that team is constructed though, I've thought his over-dribbling has ruined offensive flow since he was in college. Fancy dribbling is nice to pull out in an all star game, but it doesn't really help you win NBA games that much.
Love works if you can get a guy that can protect the rim. Incidentally, Tyson Chandler is averaging a double-double this year and is a free-agent next year. I expect the Cavs to offer him, maybe even go over the tax to get him.

I don't know what to make of Irving... I thought he could be a mix of Wade/Chalmers but he can't play defense as well as either of them (although Wade is bigger and didn't dedicate himself on D until like 26/7). And Wade/LeBron was always an awkward fit. That being said, he will look better as the season goes on I think. Season is not even a quarter done yet after all.

trixx

LeBron looked extremely frusturated. Kobe said trading Wiggins was a mistake, maybe he's right. But theres still plenty of time to improve, maybe they'll find the chemistry.

iamblades

LeBron looked extremely frusturated. Kobe said trading Wiggins was a mistake, maybe he's right. But theres still plenty of time to improve, maybe they'll find the chemistry.

I don't think Wiggins would have seen the court much on this Cavs roster anyway, he needs play time in in bulk to develop.

Is there a good chance he ends up being better than Love? Sure, especially if the Cavs shit the bed this year and he bolts, but I don't think he would have been able to help the Cavs win games this year.

Also on an unrelated note, I just watched the Pelicans game on league pass to see AD dominate, and holy shit, he could have legit gone for 60 if the pelicans backcourt wasn't so completely trash. After he hit like thirty the only time he saw the ball again were on offensive rebounds and once when he beat the Jazz down the court and was wide open for a layup. Like every other possession was a Pelicans guard driving into the paint and tossing up a wild contested layup instead of dropping it back to Davis for a wide open 15 footer. Not that I believe in 'feeding the hot hand', but sometimes a guy isn't hot, it's just that the other team has absolutely no one that can guard him.

Someone needs to tell those dudes that if they never make the pass on the pick and roll, that they are always going to be going up against both defenders on the drive.

fertygo

I Trade all three of Tyreke, Jrue, and Gordon for any expiring if I'm Pelican.. you don't waste any year of Anthony Davis with these guy..

iamblades

I Trade all three of Tyreke, Jrue, and Gordon for any expiring if I'm Pelican.. you don't waste any year of Anthony Davis with these guy..

Well Jrue might be salvageable, and Reke and definitely Gordon are basically untradeable given their contracts. I think you have survive having Jrue and Reke is you limit reke's role in the offense substantially, but you definitely can't have all three.

They need a 3 and D small forward and a backup PG (unless rivers is going to suddenly make a miraculous jump into being a rotation level player).

Asik is basically the first smart move they made to build around Davis, and now he's out with back issues. Their frontcourt alone will win that team alot of games if they can stay healthy, but they aren't going to do anything when it matters if their guards continue to revert to dumbass 1 on 1 hero ball in every 4th quarter.

fertygo

Well Jrue might be salvageable, and Reke and definitely Gordon are basically untradeable given their contracts. I think you have survive having Jrue and Reke is you limit reke's role in the offense substantially, but you definitely can't have all three.

They need a 3 and D small forward and a backup PG (unless rivers is going to suddenly make a miraculous jump into being a rotation level player).

Asik is basically the first smart move they made to build around Davis, and now he's out with back issues. Their frontcourt alone will win that team alot of games if they can stay healthy, but they aren't going to do anything when it matters if their guards continue to revert to dumbass 1 on 1 hero ball in every 4th quarter.

I think some GM might bite for Reke and Jrue with their age factor and their deceiving stat, try offer them to Knicks or something lol.

Denny Green, Goran Dragic, and Jimmy Butler available in free agency next season, any of them would look nice beside Davis for NO.

zroid

Banned
Can someone explain the Lou Williams deal to me? I don't follow the NBA very closely.

They waived Salmons so why would they essentially trade a 1st round selection for a 2nd round pick? Not happy with Bebe? Really wanted to dump Lou's salary? (why?)

Pathos

Banned
Can someone explain the Lou Williams deal to me? I don't follow the NBA very closely.

They waived Salmons so why would they essentially trade a 1st round selection for a 2nd round pick? Not happy with Bebe? Really wanted to dump Lou's salary? (why?)

toronto got lou williams and the rights to bebe from the hawks and they received john salmons and a 2015 second round pick
once they got salmons, the hawks could buy him out for $1 million, and could raise their salary cap space

Not surprised that the Raptors beat the Cavs. Raptors have so much depth, and they have guys that can step up and put big numbers. The frontcourt of the Raptors still worries me.

zroid

Banned
toronto got lou williams and the rights to bebe from the hawks and they received john salmons and a 2015 second round pick
once they got salmons, the hawks could buy him out for $1 million, and could raise their salary cap space

The thing I don't get is why they seemingly gave up Lou for negative value. Bebe was an unsigned 1st rounder so they basically traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd and gave Lou away. I understand wanting to dump the salary, but couldn't they have just waived him then? Or did he have a no waive clause in his contract or something.

The thing I don't get is why they seemingly gave up Lou for negative value. Bebe was an unsigned 1st rounder so they basically traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd and gave Lou away. I understand wanting to dump the salary, but couldn't they have just waived him then? Or did he have a no waive clause in his contract or something.

If they waived him they still would have had to pay his salary, while they only had to spend $1 million to cut Salmons. It was purely a money saving move.

zroid

Banned
If they waived him they still would have had to pay his salary, while they only had to spend $1 million to cut Salmons. It was purely a money saving move.

So they didn't think anyone would've claimed him off waivers?

(sorry for all the dumb questions by the way)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So they didn't think anyone would've claimed him off waivers?

(sorry for all the dumb questions by the way)

Basketball doesn't have waivers like that. Salmons had a 1M buyout in his contract to avoid paying him for the year. He then becomes a free agent. They couldn't waive Lou to free up any salary cap room.

He wasn't as good last year but he was coming off knee surgery and it was uncertain if he'd bounce back completely. I guess for them they wanted the cap relief more than to take that risk.

zroid

Banned
Basketball doesn't have waivers like that. Salmons had a 1M buyout in his contract to avoid paying him for the year. He then becomes a free agent. They couldn't waive Lou to free up any salary cap room.

He wasn't as good last year but he was coming off knee surgery and it was uncertain if he'd bounce back completely. I guess for them they wanted the cap relief more than to take that risk.

Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up everyone who replied. I do think it makes sense then, his contract is not exactly small.

ghost77

Banned
Trading wiggins was absolutely a mistake. Only plus defender is Lebron and varejao. Thompson if he's playing. Wiggins would come in and give better d than waiters. You don't need more shooters on that team. That could have been as near as we were going to see to a Jordan pippen duo, at least defensively in this era.

Not to mention you lost Bennett and a first in that deal too.

I expect it to get worse before it gets better. I think this is a massive sign of how good of a coach sop is tho. Immediately formed the Heatles into a defensive juggernaut that nearly chipped in that first year if not for a hof mismatch player balling out of his damn mind.

Trading wiggins was absolutely a mistake. Only plus defender is Lebron and varejao. Thompson if he's playing. Wiggins would come in and give better d than waiters. You don't need more shooters on that team. That could have been as near as we were going to see to a Jordan pippen duo, at least defensively in this era.

I expect it to get worse before it gets better. I think this is a massive sign of how good of a coach sop is tho. Immediately formed the Heatles into a defensive juggernaut that nearly chipped in that first year if not for a hof mismatch player balling out of his damn mind.
Ehhh
Miami showed that you can never have too many shooters when you're building around LeBron, and counting on a rookie who was anything less than the second coming in college to come in and deliver is a bad idea. Cavs probably need another season to cover the holes in their roster like the Heat did when they signed LeBron and Bosh.

overcast

I'm not sure this doom and gloom is all right. Cavs look pretty bad, but they can make some moves. They don't have to chip this year.

I don't see Wiggins making much of a difference, at least not this year, on this Cavs team. Their biggest problem is defense, yes, but it's that they have absolutely zero post/paint defenders. Most good team Ds start inside out.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
HIT A FUCKING GAME WINNING SHOT LIKE A BOSH

Man this game was so stressful, lol. Jesus. Thank you Miami Heat for raising my spirits after the Dolphins shit the bed again. I love this team so fucking much.

overcast

I didn't even realize, Terrence Jones couldn't move his leg cause of the nerve injury? uhhhh. He's gonna be out a while isn't he? Plus Howard is sketchy.

I think 2 weeks (at least. Jones says he's better) before we get either.

Emwitus

tumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o1_r2_250.gif

Basically the look I've had the past 3 years.

right now the mighty Eastern conference has 5 teams with winning records while the Western conference has 10 teams with winning records. I know its all cyclical, but it seems like the West has been the stronger conference from top to bottom for at least 7 years now.

neptunes

right now the mighty Eastern conference has 5 teams with winning records while the Western conference has 10 teams with winning records. I know its all cyclical, but it seems like the West has been the stronger conference from top to bottom for at least 7 years now.
The west won 4 of the past 7 finals

Piecake

Feels like the past 15 years.

Top Bottom