• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

tumblr_mgik2rkq8U1rk0uv7o1_r2_250.gif

Basically the look I've had the past 3 years.
sup, its been a while. ; )

I don't see Wiggins making much of a difference, at least not this year, on this Cavs team. Their biggest problem is defense, yes, but it's that they have absolutely zero post/paint defenders. Most good team Ds start inside out.

Would the Cavs consider DeAndre Jordan if the Clippers let him walk? He's gonna want max money.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up everyone who replied. I do think it makes sense then, his contract is not exactly small.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention is that unlike something like baseball, NBA trades require that salaries match within a certain percentage. So you can't trade someone making 20M a year for someone making 2M. So the only way to dump salary is to do what they did and get someone with a contract that they can buy out or that is expiring.

That's why extra players like Bebe get thrown into deals. Lou was making just over 5 million and Salmons was making 7.5 so the Hawks needed to include another player to make the salaries match.

The west won 4 of the past 7 finals

If it weren't for the Heat, the West would have won 6 of the last 7. The Heat actually carried the banner for the east for 4 years, and drew attention away from how awful the rest of the conference was save for one or two other teams ( usually the pacers or bulls ).

zroid

Banned
Tyler Ennis and his Phoenix Suns are going to bring the Raptors back down to Earth :^(

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention is that unlike something like baseball, NBA trades require that salaries match within a certain percentage. So you can't trade someone making 20M a year for someone making 2M. So the only way to dump salary is to do what they did and get someone with a contract that they can buy out or that is expiring.

That's why extra players like Bebe get thrown into deals. Lou was making just over 5 million and Salmons was making 7.5 so the Hawks needed to include another player to make the salaries match.

That's interesting, thanks for the info

Fjordson

Pretty good Zach Lowe article on Kobe Bryant's play / Lakers in general and their theatrics this year: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/k...-lakers-absurd-present-and-unknowable-future/

Maybe my favourite part is this blurb on Boozer. It's so true :lol

The other supporting characters are just as wacky. Nick Young is actually pretty good at creating shots, but he’s a bit of a living cartoon character, and opposing TV announcers titter like teenagers when they call Young (over and over and over) “Swaggy P.” Carlos Boozer, once a polished scorer and passer, looks more like a screaming aerobics instructor on defense. His go-to move against the pick-and-roll is splaying his limbs in an attempt to kick the ball, stop play, and get through just one more damn defensive possession:

booz1.png

booz2.png

Would the Cavs consider DeAndre Jordan if the Clippers let him walk? He's gonna want max money.

He's not going to get max money. He might get a slight pay upgrade, but that's about it. I could see him staying with the Clippers, but it depends on a lot. I'd hate to see him go, but the Clippers can't afford to spend a ton more on him.

He's not going to get max money. He might get a slight pay upgrade, but that's about it. I could see him staying with the Clippers, but it depends on a lot. I'd hate to see him go, but the Clippers can't afford to spend a ton more on him.

Granted, even if he doesn't stay with the Clippers, a slight pay upgrade is still too much for Cleveland (unless they manage some wacky fuckery with Haywood's contract, and even then the salaries still won't match).

Cavs playing defense sighting.

Offensive flow is...well, I'm still hoping for a .500 November. We look so rough. We'll look better in a couple of months, though. The flashes of brilliance are there. Sustained, consistent brilliance? Will take awhile as I expected...and I look forward to seeing it when it all comes together.

Piecake

Cavs playing defense sighting.

Offensive flow is...well, I'm still hoping for a .500 November. We look so rough. We'll look better in a couple of months, though. The flashes of brilliance are there. Sustained, consistent brilliance? Will take awhile as I expected...and I look forward to seeing it when it all comes together.

Every time I watch a Cavs offensive set Kevin Love is just parking his butt on the weak-side 3 point line while Varejao is the one who is posting up, setting picks, or involved in the offense. I find that rather odd.

Every time I watch a Cavs offensive set Kevin Love is just parking his butt on the weak-side 3 point line while Varejao is the one who is posting up, setting picks, or involved in the offense. I find that rather odd.

Agree 100%.

I do hope we see K Love in this nice pick & rolls, but maybe Kevin doesn't like rolling to the basket? I have no idea. But I think everyone envisioned LeBron & Kevin in pick & rolls as the ultimate pick your poison scenario. I feel like we've seen that 3 times this year.

Piecake

Agree 100%.

I do hope we see K Love in this nice pick & rolls, but maybe Kevin doesn't like rolling to the basket? I have no idea. But I think everyone envisioned LeBron & Kevin in pick & rolls as the ultimate pick your poison scenario. I feel like we've seen that 3 times this year.

He rarely rolls to the basket, but Rubio-Love pick and pop was a staple of the Wolves offense and I would imagine it would work even better with Lebron or Irving since both are a greater threat to shoot. Cheat on Lebron and Irving? Pass to Love for the 3. Cover Love, leaving Lebron or Irving open to shoot or drive? Well, they are good enough offensive players to convert that at a good clip.

Plus, if they do drive, Varejao's man will likely have to help, which opens up an easy pass for a dunk. If the weak-side wing's man drops down to help, that guy is now open for a 3. It seems like very obvious, simple, and effective offense.

The only reason for Love to park his butt on the 3 point line is for spacing, but I think that makes less sense if Lebron and Irving are given driving lanes to the basket which forces a big man to defend him, leaving the center open for a dunk. I mean, who cares if Lebron or Irving has a clearer path to the basket when a simple pass can easily lead to a slam?

Pimpwerx

Love in the post means Andy is tasked with spreading the floor. That's not happening. Love is the primary floor spacer on that team, since Kyrie handles. You can't put Love on the block at the same time Andy is there either. That would leave no spacing for the best offensive player on the floor, LeBron. That offense should be setup to max LeBron first, then sort everyone else out after. That means keeping Love on the perimeter playing like Bosh of the last few seasons. PEACE.

zroid

Banned
Raps are legit.

really seems to be the bench that makes the difference for them

sometimes Lowry or Demar can take over a game sure, but usually it's more like whoever isn't playing great is easily replaceable by someone in reserve.

maybe that's why they tend to have slow starts? takes a bit to figure out who doesn't have it that night.

Piecake

Love in the post means Andy is tasked with spreading the floor. That's not happening. Love is the primary floor spacer on that team, since Kyrie handles. You can't put Love on the block at the same time Andy is there either. That would leave no spacing for the best offensive player on the floor, LeBron. That offense should be setup to max LeBron first, then sort everyone else out after. That means keeping Love on the perimeter playing like Bosh of the last few seasons. PEACE.

But why is spreading the floor necessary on pick and rolls when the pick gives LeBron an advantage on his man to either drive or shoot? Love gives LeBron or Irving a greater advantage if he is the one setting the pick than Andy since Love is a far greater threat to score.

I also have a hard time believing it is necessary for Love to park his butt out there on the 3 point line considering that Love and Pek played together last year and the floor spacing was fine, enough for Rubio to make plays by either driving and dishing or simply dishing.

It just seems pretty absurd to waste a 60% TS scorer and elite rebounder by telling him to spot up for the weak-side 3. If that is how the Cavs were going to use him, they shouldn't have bothered to trade for him. I am sure they could have gotten Ryan Anderson, Channing Frye, or some other stretch 4 for far cheaper. Not that I am complaining or anything because I definitely like having Wiggins, Bennett, and Thad.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh give me a break refs that should be Amir on the jump.

At least they won it anyway.

edit: Then a horrible call with that Bledsoe foul. Lame ass refs in the last minute.

Soonri

Jameer Nelson has stunk... Mavs honestly looked like shit the entire night. Ray Felton won't be the savior but he might be better than Nelson... I'm at the point where I'm questioning if JJ Barea and Aminu need to be moved into the starting lineup (because tonight also showed that playing Monta and JJ together is BAD).

Top Bottom