• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Fjordson

Great article by Zach Lowe on the massive imbalance between the Western and Eastern conferences.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/searching-for-balance-the-nbas-lopsided-conference-problem/

That can no longer suffice. The superiority of the West is laughable. The West is 64-26 against the East head-to-head this season, a winning percentage that would be the highest ever for one conference over the other. During the last decade, the no. 8 seed in the West has on average finished about seven games ahead of the East’s no. 8 seed. At least one lottery team from the West has finished with a better record than the East’s no. 8 seed in an average season during that stretch.

Flip it around: The ninth-place team in the West has ended up with a better record than about 2.5 Eastern Conference playoff teams on average since 2003.

We are staring at a realistic scenario in which two of the league’s three best players, Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis, miss the playoffs, while Brooklyn, Indiana, and Milwaukee slog through first-round playoff series.

Like whoa.

Fjordson

Lowe says in that article that talks within the league are beginning about scrapping the current conference system, so there is hope.

Also a sidenote: everyone owes it to themselves to read everything Zach Lowe puts out. I've been reading Grantland lately during work downtime and for my money dude is the single best NBA writer around.

Cheddahz

Banned
Lowe says in that article that talks within the league are beginning about scrapping the current conference system, so there is hope.

Also a sidenote: everyone owes it to themselves to read everything Zach Lowe puts out. I've been reading Grantland lately during work downtime and for my money dude is the single best NBA writer around.

Should honestly be a conference system like in the NFL or MLB

We are staring at a realistic scenario in which two of the league’s three best players, Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis, miss the playoffs, while Brooklyn, Indiana, and Milwaukee slog through first-round playoff series.

Whoa there... Anthony Davis is one of the league's 3 best players? He's good, but top 3? No way.

xHiryu

Gonna be a good game against the Mavs tonight, sadly I wont catch it but our defense should help big time. If Jimmy can lock down Ellis, and Pau/Noah can play some real solid defense on Dirk then we'll be good.

Hopefully we see some more Rose-esque plays out of Rose, specifically cause none of Dallas' guards are real defensive studs, Aminu is the only player who comes to mind and he plays forward. Thank god Rose is seemingly healthy, if all goes well he'll have his groove back by All-Star break
and then win MVP
Whoa there... Anthony Davis is one of the league's 3 best players? He's good, but top 3? No way.
Hes dominating as we speak and hes only 21, honestly idk who else would be the 3rd player. Maybe Harden or Curry. Definitely not Melo lol

Fjordson

Who else would you put there?

Top 5 in scoring, rebounds, blocks and steals. #1 in PER by a decent margin, third in win shares, top 5 in +/-

davis.fw.0.png

Obviously it's debatable, but most empirical evidence suggests that Davis is right up there with anyone in the league.

Its pretty massive steep after Lebron and KD anyway, so you can argue he is.

Maybe, but I think even that is a stretch, honestly. Maybe I just haven't seen enough Pelicans games. I'd have a hard time picking him over some of my faves Curry or Westbrook (wrong position I know), or, closer to his position, Aldridge or Griffin.

Fjordson

Maybe, but I think even that is a stretch, honestly. Maybe I just haven't seen enough Pelicans games. I'd have a hard time picking him over some of my faves Curry or Westbrook (wrong position I know), or, closer to his position, Aldridge or Griffin.
Davis easily outclasses anyone else at his position.

Curry I could see, and as a Warriors fan I certainly love Curry, but Davis impacts his team's defense in such a tangible way when you look at stats and metrics. Curry's defense has improved (and the Warriors are probably the best defensive team in the league) but he has a handful of great defensive players around him.

Davis easily outclasses anyone else at his position.

Curry I could see, and as a Warriors fan I certainly love Curry, but Davis impacts his team's defense in such a tangible way when you look at stats and metrics. Curry's defense has improved (and the Warriors are probably the best defensive team in the league) but he has a handful of great defensive players around him.

Is he a 4 or a 5? If he's a 5, then yeah, you are probably right, especially after checking out those stats you posted. But there are quite a few great 4's in the league right now.

Should honestly be a conference system like in the NFL or MLB

The NFL and MLB conference systems are completely pointless now that the leagues have interleague play. Once you have a system where everyone plays everyone there's almost no reason to have conferences or divisions anymore.

fertygo

I already like Davis far more than LMA or Blake, and he does outclass them in every statistic.. too bad his team backcourt is disgusting.

Cloudy

Banned
So glad to see Yahoo go back to the light background. A bit too white but better than the dark crap they used for a year despite user compaints

So LeBron, Kyrie, and Love all did 40-41 minutes tonight. Only 9 Cavs played, and 2 of those only barely did (sorry, Waiters).

82 games, Coach Blatt. And then the real season starts.

Cavs slipping into some really bad (lack of) defensive habits again tonight, always good to see a W, but really gotta clean that up against a team like the Bucks.

Top Bottom