• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA |OT| Let's just wait it out. Be NKY/LAL fans and lose our games together.

Pathos

Banned
oh man that was close. bulls x mavericks was a great game, probably the best in the last couple of weeks. also glad that the raptors kept with it and won.

Holy moly 2nd half was way worse. But Green and Curry and Klay what a CORE.

PAYMOND THAT GREEN

GS is already over the cap with a $72 million roster, they probably factored in the Thompson extension based upon getting rid of Speights and Livingston or a possible Lee trade next season.

They would have to do some serious moves in trades to give Green an extension unless they wanted to go into Nets level luxury tax.

This is this their best year to make something happen considering they will be paying $65 million for five players next year. Which presents a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for their bench during the 2015/2016 season.

edit: Granted Lee would certainly be much easier to move in a trade than Parsons :p

I could see Houston trying to make a move for him next year.

Lee has a ton of commodity for a trade but it would be difficult moving his contract at $15 million a year, he's the highest paid player on the Warriors.

Hey Warriors fan how do you guys feel about Steve Kerr?

I totally forgot Warriors changed head coach during the off season (haven't watched you guys yet this year), was looking at the standing then it hit me. Oh crap no wonder they have such a good record this year.

You guys think Jackson would of had this kind of start too?

I totally forgot Warriors changed head coach during the off season (haven't watched you guys yet this year), was looking at the standing then it hit me. Oh crap no wonder they have such a good record this year.

If anything I think this season is going to show how overrated Jackson was and how this team underachieved under him. Dude is a clown.

Fjordson

He's been great so far. Our offense looks better and the stats and metrics back that up. Under Jackson, our offense last year was 12th in offensive efficiency (currently 6th under Kerr). We're also averaging almost 100 more passes per game and our assists are up. On top of all that we're currently the best shooting team in the league as far as overall field goal percentage.

Jackson did surprisingly well, but I don't think he was a long term answer for GS. Obviously things could change for the worse as the season progresses, but I think what Ninja said will prove to be true in the long run. That we underachieved under Jackson.

Should also be noted that Kerr has a pretty damn good staff around him, especially in Alvin Gentry and Ron Adams, but I like what he's done so far.

AcridMeat

Banned
Kerr (the bench overall) has been great. Feeling quite justified in all the shit talking I did of Jackson the last 2-3 years. Everyone said I was being too hard on the guy because our team was finally winning, but we've had insane talent on the squad.

I don't think we can move Lee, it would be amazing if we could. Otherwise when he gets back having him off the bench with Speights/Livingston/Ig will be absolutely ridiculous.

BTW guys, just because I talk crap about the Warriors financial future with their roster doesn't mean I'm well aware of the problems the Mavs might have next off season. As well as the future of the Mavs in general.

I don't know if Monta will take the player option or not for next year and I don't know what will happen with Tyson Chandler. I'm not even mentioning Brandan Wright being UFA after this year, or some of the other bench players.

I've always had a good vibe from Kerr off his visit on Bill Simmon's podcast. Not surprise one bit he's doing well as a coach.

Yea I play fantasy with a few guys who are GS fans a few years back, and they always complained about Jackson Lol. Need to catch a GS game soon to see how they play now.

I felt a lot better about Kerr when he got Alvin Gentry (my personal coaching candidate- I never wanted SVG) and Ron Adams to join the staff. I also like how he's been able to tinker with lineups while keeping egos in check. Green and Barnes as starters wouldn't have happened under Jackson (once Iggy was on board). Also, his in game adjustments have been solid thus far. Gone are the days of hockey subs. Finally, getting good production out of Speights has been the biggest shock thus far. It's like night and day with Mo's game between last year compared to this year.

Biggest props though goes to Bob Myers, West and Lacob.. Since Myers took over, he's pretty much hit every single year with his player signings.

Under his watch,

Bogut -Ellis trade- also got a first round NBA draft pick from Spurs for dealing Stephen Jackson immediately away

2012 NBA Draft
Harrison Barnes- Solid swingman/stretch 4 still with upside
Festus Ezeli- from the Spurs - Solid defensive big man
Draymond Green in the second round- all the man does is win- (Lock him up ASAP please)

2012 Offseason- Signs Curry to a ridiculously good contract 4 years @ 33 million (you're paying a top 5 NBA player how much?)
-Sign Carl Landry and traded for Jarrett Jack- Great rotation players for that year

2013 Offseason- Offloads Biedrins/Jefferson and draft picks to sign and trade for Andre Iguodala
-Signs Mo Speights to 3 year contract- Looked like a terrible deal at first but is apparently an absolute steal now
-Draft Nedovic- Miss- no longer with the team/went back to play ball overseas
-Sign Toney Douglas- Miss- This became Marshon Brooks and Jordan Crawford (Double Miss)

2014- Give Klay max $$ contract- gave him max money without the official title. Klay's going to get paid a max contract by dollars not cap percentage (typical max contract). With the salary cap going up significantly coupled with Klay's production, this will probably be a deal.
-Sign Barbosa and Livingston- Both have been solid pickups. Barbosa still has game and Livingston is rounding into form after offseason surgery.
-Sign Brandon Rush - Probably going to be a nonfactor given the team's depth right now.

Those are the deals off the top of my head and he's hit a majority of them. Amazing how he hasn't won exec of the year.

Edit- In Jackson's defense...the guy got the W's to buy into defense and controlling the glass. As a W's fan, I don't think I've ever remembered a time when this team played so well defensively.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kerr inherited a team that won 51 games last year and 47 games the year before. It is a pretty loaded team. Hard for me to give him any credit, to be honest. Sure, GS is on a 10 game winning streak, but just look at their opponents. All are well below .500, except Miami, and Miami was without Wade for that game. Kerr will be judged by the playoffs.

AcridMeat

Banned
That's true, Jackson did have the positive lasting impact of a defensive mindset. I was just so sick and tired of games lost because he would never adapt rotations or run an actual offense.

It is also still really early. If we beat the Spurs next time we see them, then I'll really believe.

Fjordson

Kerr inherited a team that won 51 games last year and 47 games the year before. It is a pretty loaded team. Hard for me to give him any credit, to be honest. Sure, GS is on a 10 game winning streak, but just look at their opponents. All are well below .500, except Miami, and Miami was without Wade for that game. Kerr will be judged by the playoffs.
I agree our schedule has been light, I'd like to see how we fare against the Mavs and the Grizzlies. Still a long way to go before I'll call Kerr a definitive success.

But that being said, we did beat Portland and Houston on the road and obliterated the Clippers. We also just swept a 5 game road trip for only the second time in franchise history.

More importantly, our numbers and metrics were never this good under Jackson. Even smaller things like our side out of bounds plays are better under Kerr. And I appreciate the lineup changes he's made (Barnes starting, Lee likely not starting when he comes back).

And there's something to be said for simply getting along with people. Jackson had the support of most of the players, but not all. He also clashed with others on the coaching stuff and was very divisive among the front office guys.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I agree our schedule has been light, I'd like to see how we fare against the Mavs and the Grizzlies. Still a long way to go before I'll call Kerr a definitive success.

But that being said, we did beat Portland and Houston on the road and obliterated the Clippers. We also just swept a 5 game road trip for only the second time in franchise history.

More importantly, our numbers and metrics were never this good under Jackson. Even smaller things like our side out of bounds plays are better under Kerr. And I appreciate the lineup changes he's made (Barnes starting, Lee likely not starting when he comes back).

And there's something to be said for simply getting along with people. Jackson had the support of most of the players, but not all. He also clashed with others on the coaching stuff and was very divisive among the front office guys.

GS is rolling. No doubt about it. And you can only beat the opponents put in front of you. Like I said, it's just too soon. I give Jackson/the front office more credit for the 15-2 than Kerr. You give me Curry and I'd get 10 wins myself.

Fjordson

GS is rolling. No doubt about it. And you can only beat the opponents put in front of you. Like I said, it's just too soon. I give Jackson/the front office more credit for the 15-2 than Kerr. You give me Curry and I'd get 10 wins myself.
No doubt. Myers, Lacob and The Logo have been killing it.

You can only beat the teams you play against. We regularly lost to sub .500 teams under Jackson and more often than not played down to the competition. This year, we're blowing these teams out the water to the point where the 4th quarter doesn't matter (our starters aren't playing as many minutes now because of it which bodes well for the playoffs). We've beaten quality opponents in Portland, Houston, Miami and LAC. Dubs haven't won anything yet but at least they're on the right track.

I think the whole players love Jackson thing was a bit overrated. Sure he had the support of Steph, Klay, Dray and Iggy...But word is that Bogut wasn't a fan nor was the bench for the most part.

Fjordson

I think the whole players love Jackson thing was a bit overrated. Sure he had the support of Steph, Klay, Dray and Iggy...But word is that Bogut wasn't a fan nor was the bench for the most part.
Think you're totally right. I'd imagine his preacher style with all the motivational poster material got old fast for some.

PBY

Banned

Y'all gotta clean up your turnover #s

Fjordson

Y'all gotta clean up your turnover #s
That's definitely a weak spot that needs to get better. But there has been some improvement in our last 10 games. We've been under 10 TO's a handful of times and our two worst performances were 16 TO's. Nothing like the 20-25+ struggles from early in the season.l

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Marcus back tonight! I was all in on this celts tank... but tonight starts a ridiculous run through the ranks of just ass bad teams, probably be 500 by the end of it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Not to mention Biedrins was completely neutered of all of the double double game he had.

AcridMeat

Banned
Blame Don Nelson for Biedrins' basketball castration...It was so painful watching the guy play those last couple of years especially knowing what he was capable of previously.
Was that an inheritance from Don? I could have sworn he was still productive under him, never mind then.

I really liked Biedrins so seeing his game erode was rough. I'm glad the same hasn't quite happened to Bogut. Still wish his low post game was there from the Bucks era.

Was that an inheritance from Don? I could have sworn he was still productive under him, never mind then.

I really liked Biedrins so seeing his game erode was rough. I'm glad the same hasn't quite happened to Bogut. Still wish his low post game was there from the Bucks era.

Yup..

Bogut's issue is a different story. His broken elbow robbed him of some of his touch. It's starting to come back to him. At the same time, we really don't need Bogut to be a scorer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

With Bogut it's more of an age thing, he's luckily bounced back after the microfracture surgery, but he probably lost a lot of his fine tuned skills and touch around the rim. He's still a rebound machine and a defensive beast.

Fjordson

Bogut is a defensive monster. He's leading the entire league in defensive rating and last I checked was holding opponents to like 38 percent at the rim and 36 percent within 10 feet. Makin' sacrifices to the basketball gods for his health daily.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yup..

Bogut's issue is a different story. His broken elbow robbed him of some of his touch. It's starting to come back to him. At the same time, we really don't need Bogut to be a scorer.
No kidding I didn't realize it could be traced back to a very specific point/injury like that. Sucks man.

It's true, he doesn't need to score and the other things he has provides are immensely positive for the team. I just always think in a perfectionist manner and was looking ahead to the the future, in the playoffs.
With Bogut it's more of an age thing, he's luckily bounced back after the microfracture surgery, but he probably lost a lot of his fine tuned skills and touch around the rim. He's still a rebound machine and a defensive beast.
Yeah that's fair I hadn't really considered the loss of it being related to the microfracture surgery.

Top Bottom