• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

What about durant selling his four point play against Memphis? Should that be penalized? Should that be addressed? Should he be suspended?

I agree flopping should be clamped down on. It ruins the game. But about the only thing that bothers me more is fans playing the degree game, "yeah my team flops but it's not as bad as ....." "When X does it it's disgraceful!". Or even worse when fans try and claim their team and players are mostly innocent.

Like I pointed out earlier, your team has benefited from calls more then every other team except Denver over the last 5 years.

Be careful what you ask for when you want the refs to be less persuaded by star power, flopping and bitching.

I don't recall Durant flopping on that play, which was a clear foul.

He definitely flopped like crazy coming around that pick last game. Clearly deserved a fine there.

This is wishful thinking. In 2012 the Heat big 3 were in their prime and the Thunder main cast were younger and not as good now. KD, Westbrook and Ibaka are much better today than they were 2 seasons ago especially Durant while the Heat essentially stayed the same and got older. Even without Harden 2014 Thunder > 2012 Thunder. If they still had Harden off the bench today there wouldn't even be a point to watch the playoffs at all.

And this is not coming from a Thunder fan as I don't even want them to come out of the West.

Yep! I can't stand them, but they are that good. And as a Blazer fan if we continue to get Rolled, I am pulling so hard for the Spurs!

Cloudy

Banned
All three of them were and are masters of that game but it seems whoever you are a fan of you find an excuse to hate the other ones doing it and excuse the ones you favor

Bitching about calls and working the refs is one thing. Diving, flopping and otherwise trying to deceive the officials is another

Is stuff like this really acceptable to you from a superstar?

FrighteningColdCorydorascatfish.gif

This is one of the most bitch-made things I've ever seen and it's not his worst flop in these playoffs lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely want him on my team (FU, Stern) but I would call out his flopping

This is wishful thinking. In 2012 the Heat big 3 were in their prime and the Thunder main cast were younger and not as good now. KD, Westbrook and Ibaka are much better today than they were 2 seasons ago especially Durant while the Heat essentially stayed the same and got older. Even without Harden 2014 Thunder > 2012 Thunder. If they still had Harden off the bench today there wouldn't even be a point to watch the playoffs at all.

And this is not coming from a Thunder fan as I don't even want them to come out of the West.

They still have the same coach, which is why they still won't beat the Heat.

YNB's stats over the past 6 games:

27.5 points per game, 49.1% FG, 88.6% FT, 8.5 rebounds, 10.1 assists, 1.5 steals. And lots of turnovers.

Dude is straight beasting.

Fjordson

This series is completely changing my opinion on CP3. He comes off as a whiny, dirty(kicking the ball and slapping, not ron artest dirty) player. Every single time a call goes against LAC, he's whining to a ref. Even when he was on the bench.
Glad you've seen the light.

The Clippers are fucking insufferable. Even Doc Rivers is the goddamn bitchmaster ringleader. I get that's he respected and whatever, but the guy is always moaning about something. The one guy I don't mind on LA is Deandre Jordan, but he's such a broken and one dimensional player so meh. And Hedo for being part of the early 2000's Sacramento teams, but he's ancient now.

It's also interesting how Chris Paul is seen as like this great and fearless leader and the toughest point guard ever, yet he's never done shit in the postseason. Guys like Melo who have actually been deeper into the playoffs than CP 3 get way more grief. Dude's a very good player, but he ain't Jesus like some media dudes make him out to be.

Hahaha, I've never seen this one. I'm dyin'. I like how it's sort of delayed, but once he sees that the ball is going out of bounds it's like "fuck it, time to bail".

Hahaha, I've never seen this one. I'm dyin'. I like how it's sort of delayed, but once he sees that the ball is going out of bounds it's like "fuck it, time to bail".

LeBron never makes a mistake. Manti Teo's girlfriend is always fouling him.

That he is. That he is.

It doesn't fit the narrative, though, so we'll keep hearing how bad YNB is. Meanwhile, he's outplaying every other PG in the postseason.

lmao lebron is crazy. so far he has not flopped this playoffs. Maybe when ish gets real vs pacers or spurs.

One does not flop against the Bobcats. When they finally face a real time, he'll be like a fish out of water.

Vorheez

Yeah I'm sorry but you guys are crazy for putting the blame on players for flopping. This is what our league has created through their inconsistent calls and removing emotion/spirit from our game. Think about it.

Let's look at the Toronto/Nets series. Toronto lost a 7 game series by 1 point, their season was determined by one single point. If Lowry or Derozen had decided to flop on ONE SINGLE play and made their free throws they would be playing Miami right now. That's just the way our game is played now, its all about working the refs and playing mind games. Do I agree with it? Fuck no. It aggravates me to no end. But there is no way you guys can realistically blame these guys for doing it when their potential careers, legacy and cheques are at stake. Like any sport, basketball is about winning, and if you can win a game for your team by acting then so be it.

The league needs to get their shit together, not the players. The league is what makes it ok to do it.

AcridMeat

Banned
It's true that it's the leagues fault for inconsistently calling touch fouls, which is why there's more selling contact. However that doesn't excuse guys flying around the court over zero contact at all.

That's the difference here.

JVG had a nice rant recently about not giving calls to shooters for jumping diagonally or sideways into people to draw a foul on a shot. I like that idea quite a bit, though it will cause more ambiguity as to what a "natural shooting motion" is.

If a player out and out flops like the LeBron examples above, they need to paint their faces and don their big red shoes. Zero excuse. The league needs to implement more harsh fines, suspensions for multiple offenses, the whole nine yards.

If a player legitimately takes a hard hit and then exaggerates their response somewhat to draw the refs attention, they deserve mockery from the fans but that's their prerogative. Their fine is knowing they are considered giant whiny babies by everyone and we can be done with it.

I don't blame the league for it at all. I blame players like LeBron who publicly states he thinks it's a good strategy to win. His exact words: "Guys have been accustomed to doing it for years, and it's not even a bad thing. You're just trying to get the advantage. Any way you can get the advantage over an opponent to help your team win, then so be it."

No, LeBron. Not "so be it." Paint your face, clown.

Jag

That people still have to find things to hate about Lebron cracks me up. Google any NBA star with "flop" and watch the videos roll in. It's part of the game now for better or worse.

And if you are talking about floppers, why not at least talk about the current season?

13-14

4/1/14
The NBA fined Brandon Jennings (Det) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Monday's Det-Mil game.

2/19/14
The NBA fined P.J. Tucker (Pho) $5,000 for his 2nd ruled flop of the
season. The flop occurred during Tuesday's Den-Pho game.

2/6/14
The NBA fined Mario Chalmers (Mia) $5,000 for his 2nd flop ruling of the
season.

1/21/14
The NBA fined Lance Stephenson (Ind) $5,000 for his flop during Monday's
GS-Ind game (his 2nd flop ruling of the season).

12/9/13
The NBA fined Corey Brewer (Min) $5,000 for his 2nd flopping violation.
The incident occurred during Friday's Min-Mia game.

11/11/13
The NBA fined James Harden (Hou) $5,000 for his second flop violation of
the season.

Vorheez

I don't blame the league for it at all. I blame players like LeBron who publicly states he thinks it's a good strategy to win. His exact words: "Guys have been accustomed to doing it for years, and it's not even a bad thing. You're just trying to get the advantage. Any way you can get the advantage over an opponent to help your team win, then so be it."

No, LeBron. Not "so be it." Paint your face, clown.
But that's where you have it twisted Tragic, we are almost arguing for the same thing here. I think that quote from Lebron is stupid and even embarrassing, but that's the league he plays in, that's what his sport calls for in some games to come out on top by 2 or 3 points. There is no stretch at all in his "so be it" comment, using every advantage you can to win is really what its all about. Same reason why boxers do the staredowns to crack an opponent, same reason why Arnold would anger and offend opponents before a bodybuilding show, same reason hockey players will poke at another player with their stick without the refs seeing to aggravate an opponent. At the end of the day, all that matters is a win, by any means necessary. Lebron is using the tools given to him just as every player does/should. Whether there was a legitimate foul or not is entirely irrelevant because the intention is the exact same amongst either player in each situation. Its about getting the call and putting your team up two for either player.

And no, you're absolutely spot on, that doesn't make it right and you should "paint your face, clown." But if Lebron is going to paint his face, every player/ref/coach should follow suite. Its the environment they play in, an environment created by the commissioner and referees. Until they decide to change, the players have every right to flop, no matter how disgraceful it is. Its why I don't watch regular season games and only check box scores. But it is what it is.

effzee

That people still have to find things to hate about Lebron cracks me up. Google any NBA star with "flop" and watch the videos roll in. It's part of the game now for better or worse.

And if you are talking about floppers, why not at least talk about the current season?

Let them. Its the reason why I keep rooting for the Heat in the playoffs whenever the Sixers aren't in it or knocked out.

The reason and lists people come up with about Lebron is ridiculous. No one else flops or ever flopped. No one else ever won a championship in a lock out season. No one else ever teamed up or was part of a team full of all stars or 2 HOF players.

Nothing he does counts. Only he gets superstar calls. Blah blah blah

effzee

I hate to take up for Lebron but I don't think he flopped here. His foot was stepped on and he was trying to get the ball. Look at his head follow the ball but he couldn't move because his foot was trapped.

There is no way his foot was stuck! You see how big Lebron is??!?!??! He is so big and strong there is no way puny little David West could hold his foot down for sure Lebron saw it as an opportunity to flop because he is classless clown who flops!

Lebron is like tank and if he wanted to he could have kicked off West and thrown him to the other side of the court. Just like when he pretended to fall when Nazr Mohammed barely touched him or when Roberts aka Jesus from the Bobcats barely grazed his neck.

Jag

I hate to take up for Lebron but I don't think he flopped here. His foot was stepped on and he was trying to get the ball. Look at his head follow the ball but he couldn't move because his foot was trapped.

Not only that but Lebron put his foot there intentionally so West would step on it. He's that good...
LeBronPacersOutofBoundsFlop.gif

There is no way his foot was stuck! You see how big Lebron is??!?!??! He is so big and strong there is no way puny little David West could hold his foot down for sure Lebron saw it as an opportunity to flop because he is classless clown who flops!

Lebron is like tank and if he wanted to he could have kicked off West and thrown him to the other side of the court. Just like when he pretended to fall when Nazr Mohammed barely touched him or when Roberts aka Jesus from the Bobcats barely grazed his neck.

Okay man any thoughts on the 90 other gifs?

And no, you're absolutely spot on, that doesn't make it right and you should "paint your face, clown." But if Lebron is going to paint his face, every player/ref/coach should follow suite. Its the environment they play in, an environment created by the commissioner and referees. Until they decide to change, the players have every right to flop, no matter how disgraceful it is. Its why I don't watch regular season games and only check box scores. But it is what it is.

I recognize you're correct here. LeBron still needs to apply his clown make up.

Let them. Its the reason why I keep rooting for the Heat in the playoffs whenever the Sixers aren't in it or knocked out.

The reason and lists people come up with about Lebron is ridiculous. No one else flops or ever flopped. No one else ever won a championship in a lock out season. No one else ever teamed up or was part of a team full of all stars or 2 HOF players.

Nothing he does counts. Only he gets superstar calls. Blah blah blah

I'm not discounting anything LeBron does. In this very thread (or the previous one), I've stated he's the best player in the league.

He's also a flopping bitch. Deal with it.

lil smoke

Banned
bam bam loves cp3 and leBron.

I like you, (because you have been honest and not blamed BS) but I know everyone probably hates me.

But this is IT.

Either the Nets can do this or they can't. Until they prove they cannot, I will be here. I promise i will leave you guys when their chance is over .

effzee

Okay man any thoughts on the 90 other gifs?

I was reacting more to anytime he does get hit hard or gets hurt people act like he is faking.

Everyone flops. OKC, Clippers, GS, Miami, Ginobili, Harden, players kicking their legs out on jump shots to get the slightest contact for fouls, or whatever other team/player. All superstars do it.

And guess what? They been doing it. Its not something new. AI used to exaggerate contact all the time and beg for calls. Guys posted videos of MJ flopping. MJ also used to get away with a tremendous amount of contact when he played D. Traveling. So does Kobe.

All superstars get that. I think by now people need to get over it or stop watching the sport if it bothers them so much. Its nothing new. Maybe more now but then again the spotlight is bigger and microscope is always on. We didn't have instant commentary, twitter, and 24/7 sports TV with talk shows dissecting players every move, gesture, psyche, and discussing who has a killer instinct and who doesn't.

I hate flopping too but it doesn't bother me to the point I see some people here get upset. And worse yet its selective rage based on who you like or don't like.

That peace thing is hilarious. People make fun of it all the time and he still does it. It's like the equivalent of those guys who wear fedoras despite all the internet backlash.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Bitching about calls and working the refs is one thing. Diving, flopping and otherwise trying to deceive the officials is another

Is stuff like this really acceptable to you from a superstar?

FrighteningColdCorydorascatfish.gif

This is one of the most bitch-made things I've ever seen and it's not his worst flop in these playoffs lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely want him on my team (FU, Stern) but I would call out his flopping

Is that Kevin Hart?

Just reminding everyone that is wondering where NBAgaf went, send me a PM and I'll link you to where the community went

Longtime posters, lurkers and everyone in between are welcome.

It is so interesting right? By now you would think this would get into his head. The entire season I have seen nothing that tells me he give a shit.

But I thought KG and Pierce were suppose to bring the winning culture, and DWill was suppose to soak in knowledge from having these two around. Or whatever garbage the media keeps saying when they brought these two dinosaurs to the Nets.

lil smoke

Banned
But I thought KG and Pierce were suppose to bring the winning culture, and DWill was suppose to soak in knowledge from having these two around. Or whatever garbage the media keeps saying when they brought these two dinosaurs to the Nets.

Right?? SO ridiculous. I knew this dude was bad if he thought these dinos alone would get a ring the first time. And now these fossils, what a joke. Again what kinda resume do u need for this job again??

He HAD to think he would get this in year ONE.

Top Bottom