• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Kimosabae

Banned
Bury your head in the sand, but it's clearly a foul. Everyone but you and Konex recognize that. You are objectively wrong.

The funny thing is Doc argues about a similar situation with CP3 aagainst the Warriors, but replay actually shows Paul wasn't fouled but just up to his usual floppy ways.

The same Clippers fans that ridiculed the Thunder choking away a lead in game four can pound sand. Your team choked.

There, now CP3 is taking responsibility for his screw ups.

It might have been a foul but not one worth calling in that scenario. Barnes barely touched him when he had possession. I doubt there was any contact AT ALL until after Jackson had already tossed the rock.

Done with this.

Tekniqs

No, just more pissed off at losing the lead. Clips were ahead 13 points with 3-4 minutes left I think? That choke job was almost worse than what OKC did in the 4th game.

Why was one of the best FT shooters in the league passing the ball off and not waiting to get fouled near the end of the game? It's not like Paul had Ray Allen waiting.

ok then answer the original question and not side step it.
I agree, it should have never gotten to that point in the first place. But, like Doc said, Clips still had the right to seal the game cuz that was clearly off of Jackson.

I like that Chris Paul owned up to it though. "dumb plays".

Tapiozona

Banned
NBA needed the Clips to lose to make sure the franchises value does not skyrocket before they try and force Sterling to sell the team. League had always been rigged.

Cloudy

Banned
Matt Barnes did not foul Jackson there. Hand is part of ball. Jackson was totally out of control there and just lost it

Tekniqs

So according to the rule the call was correct?!? Hand is ball. Ball is hand.

I don't think it works like that. I think the rule states that if a player is holding the ball and someone slaps their hand leading to the ball going out of bounds. It's automatically going to the player who originally had control of it. In this case, the ball is knocked loose but then jackson makes contact with the ball.

I don't think it works like that. I think the rule states that if a player is holding the ball and someone slaps their hand leading to the ball going out of bounds. It's automatically going to the player who originally had control of it. In this case, the ball is knocked loose but then jackson makes contact with the ball.

Jackson only makes contact as it's leaving his hand. He doesn't go after the ball at all with either hand. It's not gonna just instantly fly away after barnes hits him.

Cloudy

Banned
BnkkEKfIAAEcLqx.jpg

It might have been a foul but not one worth calling in that scenario. Barnes barely touched him when he had possession. I doubt there was any contact AT ALL until after Jackson had already tossed the rock.

Done with this.

Jackson "tossed" the rock as a result of getting hacked. Are you really this obtuse?

Matt Barnes did not foul Jackson there. Hand is part of ball. Jackson was totally out of control there and just lost it

Everyone, including the Clippers coach, disagrees with you. If NBA GAF has taught me anything over the years, it's that whatever your opinion is on a subject is almost universally wrong. The hand is NOT part of the ball when it's slapped, and you don't get to manipulate a rule they've cited for an entirely different purpose.

Cipherr

Clippers literally turned that game over to OKC. That's it. Not refs, just poor play. OKC was bad, but LA found a way to be worse. Play hard all game and then give up at the end. PEACE.

I hope you don't truly believe that nonsense.

Collapsing at the end of a game entitles you, your teammates, and your coaching staff to sharing in the blame for a loss (And in some cases, sole responsibility). What it does NOT do, is absolve any and all officiating errors that may further contribute to said collapse.

If a team with a 40 point lead with 9 minutes to go fails to play defense properly and lets the opposing team get within 10 with 20 seconds left, this doesn't mean the zebras can blow ridiculous whistles to extend the game and gift the charging team with free throws in order to 'get them over the hump' because they deserve it.

Thats some foolishness right there.

Clips played a part in this loss, and the Coach and players OWNED that shit in the post conference, but it doesn't excuse the leagues shitty officiating.

Tekniqs

The rule states that if you are hit on the hand and the ball goes out as a result of this you retain possession.

so does this cover every situation where hitting someone's hand causes the ball to out of bounds? I'd be inclined to side with you if say they were along the baseline and Barnes hits Jackson's hand that causes the ball to go out. In this case, neither of them touches the ball after contact is lost with the ball. On this particular play though, this doesn't happen. After control is lost, Jackson's arm waving brushes against the ball.

Clips played a part in this loss, and the Coach and players OWNED that shit in the post conference, but it doesn't excuse the leagues shitty officiating.

By a "part" I assume you mean that CP3 preemptively flopping instead of taking a foul lost that game. Because that's exactly what happened.

Live by the flop, die by the flop.

Crazy how refs completely took Jordan out of the game and OKC still needed BS calls at the end. Disgraceful

Your inability to accept the fact that CP3 choked the game away is disgraceful. Paul has owned up to it, why can't you?

LOL @ Shaq calling Barkley a terrible player.

NBA needed the Clips to lose to make sure the franchises value does not skyrocket before they try and force Sterling to sell the team. League had always been rigged.

With all that's been going on the Clipps being in the Finals (as opposed to the small market Thunder or ratings poison Spurs) would be a fucking gold mine. If the league really was competent enough to rig games why wouldn't they want that? In fact, why would the Knicks be as terrible as they have been for the last 15 years while the Spurs win 4 titles and go to 5 Finals if the league were able to rig their games and league as effectively as some of you make it seem? Isn't it just possible that we are dealing with a sport that is inherently hard to judge because of how fast and physical the action is, while at the same time having refs that are largely incompetent and unaccountable?

Pimpwerx

I hope you don't truly believe that nonsense.

Collapsing at the end of a game entitles you, your teammates, and your coaching staff to sharing in the blame for a loss (And in some cases, sole responsibility). What it does NOT do, is absolve any and all officiating errors that may further contribute to said collapse.

If a team with a 40 point lead with 9 minutes to go fails to play defense properly and lets the opposing team get within 10 with 20 seconds left, this doesn't mean the zebras can blow ridiculous whistles to extend the game and gift the charging team with free throws in order to 'get them over the hump' because they deserve it.

Thats some foolishness right there.

Wasn't the possession call correct? I think it's the impetus rule. If the hand is part of the ball, and the hit knocks the ball out, the handler keeps possession. PEACE.

The rule states that if you are hit on the hand and the ball goes out as a result of this you retain possession.

lol, is this true? I never knew this was the rule

On this particular play though, this doesn't happen. After control is lost, Jackson's arm waving brushes against the ball.

Your arguing semantics. If that is indeed the rule than Jackson lost the ball out of bounds due to being hit on the hand and should retain possession. What happens after is irrelevant.

Though I am skeptical it's cut and dry like that.

Jonm1010

Banned
There's nothing to justify. It's just crybabies such as yourself trying to deflect blame from the colossal choke job.
God I can only hope for once the refs screw you all over like this at some point this playoffs so I can see the shoe be on the other foot.

You're beyond reach if you can't see how the refs making the WRONG call according to the rules took the game out of the players hands and gave it to the thunder.

Your own arena could see it was off Jackson hence their reactions.

Everyone agrees what the call should of been. The tape don't lie.

If they call that foul it's two points and overtime and we get to see the players determine the outcome. If they make the right call on the turnover but miss the foul it's clippers ball, a foul and likely a clippers win.

What the refs did was not only miss a call but then make a second wrong call, most likely intentionally, that goes beyond creating a make up call and changes the entire trajectory of the games closing moments.

Victory under these circumstances is not earned, it was gift wrapped from poor officiating. This should be a dark cloud over this league that lingers for a while but this league has proven over the years it isn't interested in having games fairly officiated.

Yeah, that sixth foul on Jordan was terrible. You cant foul out a guy on brush contact. But in any case, CP3 put the Clippers in a position where the refs decided the game. The loss is on him.

God I can only hope for once the refs screw you all over like this at some point this playoffs so I can see the shoe be on the other foot.

You're beyond reach if you can't see how the refs making the WRONG call according to the rules took the game out of the players hands and gave it to the thunder.

Your own arena could see it was off Jackson hence their reactions.

Everyone agrees what the call should of been. The tape don't lie.

If they call that foul it's two points and overtime and we get to see the players determine the outcome. If they make the right call on the turnover but miss the foul it's clippers ball, a foul and likely a clippers win.

What the refs did was not only miss a call but then make a second wrong call, most likely intentionally, that goes beyond creating a make up call and changes the entire trajectory of the games closing moments.

Victory under these circumstances is not earned, it was gift wrapped from poor officiating. This should be a dark cloud over this league that lingers for a while but this league has proven over the years it isn't interested in having games fairly officiated.

I like how giving a team possession is somehow superior to giving them 2 free throws. Because you know, they could have easily missed their shot and not gotten fouled and it would be over vs being guaranteed a chance at 2 points. Thanks for clearing it up.

Also, I'm not a OKC fan. The tape doesn't lie when you consider the rule they talked about on inside the NBA.

Muzy72

Banned
Fucking damn it Clippers. I need you guys to make it to the Conference Finals so the Spurs have an easy road to the Finals >_>

Jonm1010

Banned
Your inability to accept the fact that CP3 choked the game away is disgraceful. Paul has owned up to it, why can't you?

But if it wasn't for the refs the clips choking wouldn't have been enough to cost them the game. That's what you fail to see.

Even though they fell apart at the end it took the refs making a handful of poor calls to push the thunder over the edge to victory.

Without the poor calls the clips win or end up in overtime.

Jonm1010

Banned
I like how giving a team possession is somehow superior to giving them 2 free throws. Because you know, they could have easily missed their shot and not gotten fouled and it would be over vs being guaranteed 2 points. Thanks for clearing it up.
What are you rambling about.

The facts are clear:

If the refs make the right call and call a foul on Barnes, Jackson gets two FT's.

Since they missed that call the rules state they can't go back and retroactively call the foul but based on the obvious video evidence the ball should be the clippers.

Instead the refs missed BOTH calls and changed the course of the game.

Cloudy

Banned

If you can't see that the refs had a HUGE hand in your team winning tonight, I don't know what to say

Sotha_Sil

Another questionable thing was Doc keeping Crawford in the game when he was just chucking up bricks (19 points on 7 of 22 shooting). Especially when you've got another SG in JJ Redick shooting 50% for the game.

What are you rambling about.

The facts are clear:

If the refs make the right call and call a foul on Barnes, Jackson gets two FT's.

Since they missed that call the rules state they can't go back and retroactively call the foul but based on the obvious video evidence the ball should be the clippers.

Instead the refs missed BOTH calls and changed the course of the game.

What about the rule that says if you're hit on the hand and it goes out you maintain possession? Giving them possession is a lesser reward than giving them 2 free throws. You're making it sound like they gave them something better than what they deserved. The fact that they took a 3 and got fouled MADE it the better outcome.

Jonm1010

Banned
What about the rule that says if you're hit on the hand and it goes out you maintain possession?

He hit his left hand, ball in the right.

Though I can see where it was muddy without paying attention closely, what with all that flopping going on that you thunder fans were shunning clippers for earlier.

Top Bottom